Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

Title: Aint Born Typical

Pairing: Elena/Stefan Bonnie/Damon

Rating: R with NC17 In later chapters

Disclaimer: I do not own anything in the Vampire Diaries Universe, and no profit is being made from this fiction. I do however own all original characters and concepts that will appear.

 

Chapter VI

  Gasping as she woke covered in sweat Zoe tried to hold onto the remnant of the all to realistic dream. Something was coming to Mystic Falls and if they weren't ready, itwould rip them to pieces. Running a shaky hand through her hair she grabbed a pen and paper writing down everything she could recall.

Walking in the woods beneath a blood red moon she'd shivered as the creeping mist that covered the forest floor chilled her bones. There was a foul smell in the air and the howl thatbroke the silence a chill up her spine; she knew that sound. But they couldn't be here.

"Beware that wolves that stalk you, two legged and four," Emily whispered suddenly standing before her.

"Wolves," She whispered feeling her heart pound as she thought of the pack that had decimated her family so many years ago.

"They were the faces of friends. Do not be fooled," she whispered fading as suddenly as she had appeared.

"What do you mean!" She yelled freezing when she heard the crunch of twigs followed by a low growl that sent her into motion.

Running she refused to look back as she weaved through trees trying to throw it off her scent. Her sensed were flooded with the stench of wet fur and death and she swore she felt its hot breath caress her body. Forcing herself to run  faster and faster she knew teeth would sink in to her skin soon when she failed to shake them.

"No!" She whispered quickly pulling herself together as she slipped from bed to dress.

 This was bigger than her,  more than a reoccurring nightmare about her mortal death. It was a warning. Slipping on black pants, black boots and a form fitting black t-shirt she mentally put herself back together as she put on her armor. She and Damon had always referred to this get up as bitch wear; and right now that was what she needed. To detach herself fromthe scared fragile human she had once been. Damon had taught her that.

"I have to go, you need to watch Bonnie." She whispered kneeling beside his bed as she shook him awake.

"What?" he mumbled groaning as he looked at the digital display beside him.

"You realize it's like seven in the morning and you're not making sense right?" he asked running a hand through his hair.

"I had a dream," She whispered making the hair on his neck raise. He'd seen the after math of one of her dreams.

"I'm not sure what it means so I don't want to say anything just yet, but I need you to watch over Bonnie while I go research something," She said gaining his full attention.

"Why not Stefan?."

"Cause he's not strong enough, "She said as he nodded.

"Okay. When are you leaving?"

"Now," She said suddenly gone.

___

 Crawling out of bed just past noon Bonnie ran through everything she'd learned last night. There was a whole other side to her heritage she' discovered, and another family member along with that. God! Picking her brain would be amazing, all that time to perfect her skill. All the lost spells she must have memorized. She wondered if she had her own grimiore. She was almost excited. But what kind of a person could be so close to Damon Salvatore? She got that vampires didn't think like humans but the things he'd done wouldn't even fall into the morally gray category.

"Maybe he's different around her?" She wondered shaking her head.

  Too many girls went down that road. Thinking he was just a misunderstood man with a capacity for good. It was the storyline Elena had painted herself in, wanting to "Save" him. It was like she was trying to forget her own problems by trying to save everyone else from theirs.

"Not everyone," she thought bitterly thinking of the distance that had sprung up between them. It hurt being let down by someone you trusted when you needed them most.

When Lena's parents had died she'd been her shadow, always ready with a shoulder to cry on, and ear to listen, or a warm body for company. When grams had died the Salvatore's had taken that kind of comfort her. She couldn't be around her best friend because her mind had been in a dark place. She'd blamed them all, Damon for his selfish mission, Stefan for following behind him blindly and always coming out on the losing end; and Elena for dragging them into things to protect her. It had been all she could do to keep those thoughts to herself.

  So she'd stayed away from everyone and everything until she got control of her powers and gained some perspective. Speaking of friends, she needed to go visit Caroline. She'd been

there for her every step of the way after everything with Grams. People didn't give the tiny blonde enough credit, sure she was shallow and seemingly vapid, but that wasn't all therewas to her. She was loyal, honest and even witty at times.

Slipping on a pair of well worn jeans and a green tank top she eased on her Chucks and made a mental note to stop at the florist and get brightly colored daises; they were Caroline's favorite. Grabbing her keys she stepped outside and frowned when Damon Salvatore greeted her with a smile from her porch swing.

"What are you doing?"

"Offering myself as you're personal escort for the day," He said flashing her a smile that should've been illegal.

 The fact that he was ridiculously scrumptious had always made her dislikehim even more. Being physically attracted to someone you loathed would do that to you.

"Turns out you're services aren't required," She replied locking the door behind her as she headed to the car with him right behind her.

"Zoe doesn't think that," He said making her pause on the sidewalk.

"Cut the crap Damon."

"Look Bennett you think I want to be here on a Saturday following you around like a lost puppy?" he asked scowling as she tilted her head slightly. He had a point there.

"Probably not,what happened?"

"I'm not sure; she had some sort of dream."

"About?" She asked leaning towards him slightly as she studied his featured for any sign that he was lying.

"She wouldn't say, she left early this morning saying she needed to do some more research, but she wanted me to stay close."

  Sighing she weighed things over in her head. She wanted to send him on his way, but she felt something in the air. Like everything that had happened on Founders day was a preludeto something more. This town had not seen the end of its troubles.

"Fine, but any sign of funny business and I'll light you up like charcoal," she whispered narrowing her eyes as she let him feel the warmth she commanded before continuing to her car.

"I got it fire starter," he said rolling his eyes.

  This was not his ideal of fun. Elena was vulnerable and ready to be comforted; he should be there to capitalize on it.

"So where we headed to Bon Bon?" he asked slipping into the passenger seat.

"Flower shop and then the hospital."

"I don't' think a tasteful bouquet is the answer to Jeremy's issues," He said dryly.

"They aren't for him, they're for Caroline," She said as an awkward silence filled the car. After everything he'd put her friend through it was a sore spot.

Rolling down the windows she leaned forward to turn on the cd player to ease some the had set in.

"Really Bon?, I'm impressed," he said arching his eyebrows as Rise Against spilled out of the speakers.

"It's not like you actually know anything about me Damon," She said as he cocked his head.

"True, we should remedy that," he said realizing this was an opportunity to try to show her he wasn't the devil incarnate she made him out to be.

"Or leave it alone."

"Come on Bonnie we're going to be stuck together all day, you really want to play the silent game?" He asked letting out a sigh when she turned to him with a look that screamed

" Doyou really want me to answer that."

"Come on we'll play the getting to know you game, I tell you one thing, you tell me one thing," he said continuing as if she'd agreed.

"I'll start, my favorite color is black," he said ignoring her snort.

"Of course it is," she mumbled.

"This is the part where you tell me something," he said knowing he was wearing her down.

"Green, my favorite color is green."

"Now was that so hard?" he asked smiling.

"Yes Damon it really was, if you've forgotten you tried to kill me."

"If I had tried you'd be dead, I lost myself for a minute and it was Emily standing there mocking me, it was never about you," he said honestly.

"Look I've said this before but I'll say it again one last time. I'm sorry Bonnie," he said actually meaning it. She couldn't help who her ancestors were and in hindsight he really could've handled things differently.

"It's not that easy, you can't expect me to forgive and forget having my throat ripped out," She whispered shaking her head as silence fell once more.

"I love rainbow sherbet," she said a few minutes later.

"Hot fudge sundaes."

"Can you eat that?" She asked making him laugh.

"Sure, I mean I obviously don't get any nutrition from it, but it still tastes the same... well better really since all my senses are heightened."

"My lucky number is 7." He continued.

"13, and yes I realize that seems terribly clichéd," She said actually cracking a small smile when he chuckled.

 They continued their little game back and forth pausing only to purchase flowers until they reached the hospital. She didn't mind him so much when he was like this, actually trying to be decent. Shaking her head as they headed into the hospital she was reminded again of his cruelty as they decided it'd be best if he waited in the hall just outside Caroline's room. This man was not someone to let your guard down around. Caroline was still under heavy sedation, but the outlook was hopeful.

 The swelling in her brain was receding and they expected she'd fully recover with minor complications. She sat with her a while holding her hand and wishing for days gone past. When she had Elena were constantly competing over something silly, cheering on the sports team and enjoying being a teenager. She left as her Mother came to visit suddenly feeling like an interloper.

"I just came to drop off some daisies and sit with her awhile, call me if there's any change please," She whispered suddenly feeling stifled by the beeping machines and antiseptic smell

"Where to next?" Damon asked hoping up as she shook her head.

"I don't' know," She whispered willing him to be quite for once. She was grateful when he picked up on her mood and followed her silently as she got in her car and drove with noparticular destination in mind.