Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Sonny Corinthos leaned back in his chair and covered his eyes. He was tired. The day had been long and hard. Now the only thought he could manage was of his home, his bed and the arms of his lover.

He stood up and picked up the cold cup of coffee left congealing on his desk. He moved to throw out the now ice cold liquid and stopped. The cool metal of the gun at the nape of his neck was both terrifying and familiar.

"Who," he asked. The word was loud in the once silent office and but now he could hear the deep even breathing behind him. The voice was muffled and unrecognizable.

"Does it matter?"

"It does to me." Sonny closed his eyes. It wasn't quite fear he was feeling so much as, resignation.

"No names."

Sonny paused. He took a deep breath. One of his last. He spoke again, his once strong voice as weak as that of the last man he had killed.

"A message?"

"Not for you." The gun cocked and he tensed. The killer shifted, taking a firing stance.

"So I die here, with nothing. What the fuck did he say? Why the hell does this son of a bitch want me dead?"

"No whys. Just instructions."

"Instructions?"

"Make sure it's the head."

The gun fired and Sonny Corinthos fell to the ground, the old cup of coffee spilling in his hand.


*********

"And in breaking news, local businessman and rumored gangster Sonny Corinthos was shot and killed this evening in what the police are characterizing as a execution style murder. The police received a report of gunshots at around 10:00 last night, at Mr. Corinthos' warehouse down on the Port Charles pier. This latest death comes only hours after reports of an explosion in the home of Elizabeth Morgan, which killed the 28 year old mother and her husband Jason Morgan, Mr. Cortinthos' business associate and rumored bodyguard. Mrs. Morgan's two small children were not in the home at the time and are currently in the care of child protective services. Local police refuse to comment on whether the killings are related and will only say that they are still investigating this heinous crime. In other news..."


The volume on the television was slowly lowered. R.J. Gannon leaned back in his office chair a slow smile spreading across his face.

"Fucking shame," he said. He let out a laugh, banging his hand against his desk and grabbing his phone in the same gesture.

"Angela," he said.

"Yes Mr. Gannon."

"Get my wife on the phone. And tell her I said to pack her bags." He looked up at the television and drumming his fingers on the smooth surface. "We're moving to Port Charles."

*******

"Your honor, the state hasn't even bothered to produce credible evidence that my client was even at the scene when Mr. Castle was killed. All they have is some anonymous source that gave them a bogus tip implicating Mr. Gauthier. This entire proceeding is absurd."

Nora looked over at the slim, African-American woman at the table beside her. Evangeline didn't blink and never looked her way. She stared at the judge as if she were daring the man to disagree with her. Unfortunately for Nora, they usually didn't.

"Your honor," Nora said. "Mrs. Gannon's client is well known in this community as muscle for hire in an elaborate organized crime ring. The origin of which can be traced directly back to opposing counsel's doting husband..."

"Really your honor, is the state's case so weak they've been reduced to personal attacks on defense counsel?" Evangeline's voice rose with indignation and Nora rolled her eyes. The woman was good. Flawless. She could feel this case slipping through her finger, just like all the others implicating R.J. Gannon and his devoted spouse.

The judge leaned forward and cleared his throat. "I think I've heard enough," he declared. "Ms. Hannon is Mrs. Gannon correct in her assertion that you have no direct evidence linking Mr. Gauthier to the scene of the crime?"

"He doesn't have an alibi your honor!"

"Neither do I! But I don't see you charging me with murder." The judge shook his head. "I expect better from you Nora. Don't bring these half baked cases into my courtroom expecting me to show you guys some favoritism."

Nora raised her hand in a conciliatory gesture. "Fine your honor, but cannot let this man back on the street. Barring his direct involvement in the crime he's at least a material witness. He was placed at the scene by our informant..."

"Wait," Evangeline interrupted. "So what is it, is he murderer or a witness who needs protection? I'm confused your honor..."

"Enough with the performance counselor," he said, giving Evangeline a pointed look. "You've made your point. Ms. Hannon I'm dismissing the charges against Mr. Gauthier. Mr. Gauthier you're free to go."

He banged his gavel quickly and stood up to exit the courtroom. Evangeline looked at the stoic black man beside her and frowned. "I think you know where go," she said. He stood up and out the door, a free man, as Nora watched her face red and her hands clenched at her sides. Evangeline walked over to her slowly.

"Sorry about that Nora, but you really had no case. The judge was right, I'm surprised you even tried to slip this one past an evidentiary hearing."

"You are one shady bitch you know that?"

Evangeline raised her eyebrows at the insult and took a step forward. "Me? You're the one conducting sham prosecutions based on outright lies and I'm a shady bitch? Level with me Nora, there was no informant was there? You and your cronies down at the police station probably set up some illegal wire tap you didn't have the guts to cop to."
She crossed her arms over her chest and smiled. "I bet you even destroyed the tape. Didn't want to get caught with it did you?"

"You want me to level with you, you level with me. How the hell can you even look yourself in the mirror every day you help scum like that roam free in Llanview?" Nora shook her head. "What the hell am I saying? You're married to one of them. Hell you are one of them!"

"Oh, so what? You going to tap my office phones next? Violate attorney client privilege? Or have you done that already?"

Nora grabbed her briefcase. "You know, when you first came to this town, I actually respected you. I mean, you represented Mitch Lawrence of all people but I thought underneath it all you were a really good attorney. Now, I don't know what you are. But I do know that R.J. Gannon's got you pinned so hard under his thumb that you don't know what the hell you are either."

Evangeline leaned forward, her face within inches of Nora's. "I'm not under anyone's thumb. And I never will be."

Nora laughed and moved past her. "Keep telling yourself that Evangeline."

*******

"Sonny Corinthos is dead."

Lorenzo took a long slow drink of whiskey, looking down into the clear brown liquid.

"You're sure."

"Yes sir."

Lorenzo paused. "Morgan?"

"Dead also sir."

He stood up from his chair and walked over to a large bay window. His eyes roamed over the picturesque seaside with cold indifference.

"Corinthos and Morgan are finally dead," he mumbled. He turned to the slim dark man in front of him and gave him a hard grin. "They're finally dead," he said, the glass clenched in his hand. He raised it suddenly and threw the glass at the wall above the man's head, watching as it shattered into small pieces.

"And some other motherfucker killed them!" Lorenzo yelled ignoring the man's cry of surprise. He stalked over to his phone dialed quickly.

"Get my plane ready.....Port Charles," he ordered. The man in front of him backed away, a small shard of glass lodged in his cheek. He didn't dare wipe it away. He just stared in naked fear at Lorenzo's dead blue eyes.

"Sir. The police there. They'll be looking for you. You'll be questioned..."

"You say one more word to me and I'll snap your neck." All traces of his earlier burst of emotion were gone. He made the statement in such a dispassionate matter of fact manner that the man struggled to stop himself from trembling with fear. He didn't speak. He knew Lorenzo would do just as he said.

"I need you to find me a lawyer. A good one. Not that bitch Alexis Davis. I want him there when I get to Port Charles and I want those assholes off my back. Is that clear?"

"Yes sir."

The man left the room in a desperate rush and Lorenzo turned around to stare once again at the seashore. "Port Charles," he whispered rolling the words around on his tongue.

"Home sweet home."