Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Mei-Lei 

 

Two weeks earlier...

Much to Todd's chagrin the irreplaceable Tina thought it the perfect time to have a baby leaving him assistant less for the duration of her maternity leave. And boy did he need one desperately. For the first time he became aware of the invaluable service that she provided him over the years and it forced him to contact a temp agency. The first two replacements proved ineffective for his list of demands and it frustrated the hell out of him. He contacted another agency and they sent him Kichi Chen, 24 years old, 5'6", quite attractive but he was more interested in her ability to keep up with his aggressive style.

"Have you written down all the important details?" He asked with inquisitive blue eyes. Both hands locked behind him.

Kichi made a point of jotting down what seemed to be important on her legal notepad. Some things that kept Mr. Manning happy or has he put it, "Not up in her face" were: morning coffee (black), weekly staff meetings scheduled, appointments noted not necessarily honored, delegating work as Mr. Manning assigns, calls screened family consisted of: Evangeline (love of his life), Vicki (sister), Jessica (niece worked for him) Blair's name was mentioned because she is completely barred. Miscellaneous duties included dry cleaning, lunch and dinner reservations, arranging travel, etc.

She listed them all and he ended, "Whatever else I may assign to you," with a wry smile and continued, "I'm sure you're eager to get started Kichi but first I've asked Jessica to give you a tour of the office. She'll be here in the next five minutes."

"Thank you Mr. Manning for giving me such a great opportunity," she bowed her head.

Although flattered Todd replied, "Ms. Chen, I don't want people accusing me of subjugating my female staff. I'm perfectly ok with the other metaphors they have attached to me." Namely the devil incarnate, sonofabitch, bastard, etc., etc.

She replied, "In my culture bowing shows a sign of respect for those in authority but if it bothers you I shall refrain from doing so."

"Well since it shows respect then by all means continue," he smiled.

Kichi noticed Todd's features brighten and she turned to see whom or what brought on this change.

"Hey baby." A gorgeous Evangeline said, leaning against the edge of the doorframe.

"Hey beautiful..."

Her chocolate irises locked with his crystal blue and so they strolled into each other's embrace. She lifted her chin to meet his soft lips in a slow, burning kiss. Kichi stood amazed, mesmerized by the lover's display of affection.

Greeting

"Such a greeting deserves me taking the rest of the day off."

"You should," she teased, "but first you must introduce me to the pretty woman standing by your desk."

He became conscious of Kichi's presence in the room. "Oh...yes. Evangeline meet Kichi Chen, my new assistant."

The ladies exchanged pleasantries and a warm handshake. Soon after Jessica arrived and took Kichi on her tour.

Left alone he pulled Evangeline into a tight embrace, tracing short kisses along her neckline. She moaned delightfully but still remarked, "Another assistant Todd. How many has it been in the last two weeks...four, five?"

"Hey if they can't handle the work then why the fuck should I put up with them."

She placed a small kiss on his lips and said, "No one will ever compare or come close to the work Tina has done for you."

He returned her kiss then said, "So are you asking me to go easy on Kichi."

"You'll do whatever you please," she whispered against his lips.

"You know what I want to do right now," he said allowing her to feel his arousal.

"Baby it'll have to wait until later because I really need to get back to work," she replied sidestepping him but Todd pulled her back.

"Sweetheart, please I'm dying here." He linked their foreheads, breathing harshly. "Please don't leave me like this...please..." he kissed her hard then wedged her between himself and the edge of his desk, quickly hoisting the hem of her dress up to her waist, ripping apart her thong. He inhaled her desire then pulled down his zipper. "Oh," he said with the release of his swollen shaft.

Meanwhile she prayed the door was locked because the new assistant would... "OH baby!" Mental apprehensions disappeared when he penetrated her love center and took her on a wonderful ride.


***

Present Day...

The usual Wednesday lunch with Nora at the Victoria Room - chicken salad, salmon sandwiches accompanied with ice tea.

"I heard Todd has a new assistant."

Why Nora stirred the conversation in this direction she couldn't say. "Tina is on maternity leave and he needed to hire someone. I don't see the big deal unless you're trying to cast more aspersions at my relationship with Todd."

Nora swallowed a bite of her salad. "Why you are hooked up with the demon seed of satan, I will never know but since you want to be with him..."

"I do want to be with him," Evangeline stated empathically, displaying an irritated expression.

"Woman to woman, if you want to protect what you're starting..."

"What exactly are you attempting to tell me Nora?"

"Listen Evangeline...I have a friend that works at the Blue Lotus (a newly opened Asian restaurant on the eastside of Llanview) who has seen Todd in there a couple of times usually accompanied by a beautiful Asian woman and speculated that there might be something going on."

This revelation didn't faze her. "Your friend is way off base," she declared, "She is reading too much into things that don't exist. Todd may be accused of many things but he isn't that type of man. Just let it go."

Nora replied, "Alright," and took another bite of her salad.

Afterwards they ate in relative silence until Evangeline's cell phone started ringing.

"Hey baby, what are you doing?"

"Still at the office," he sighed, "Work has been a pain in the ass. You know how it goes sometimes."

"I'm sure your assistant can help you." Evangeline peeked at Nora for a reaction but she kept her eyes on her salad stabbing at it with her fork.

"Yeah she's not making me yell too much."

"Do you want me to come over and alleviate some more of your tension," she grinned.

"Sounds perfect...meet me at my place. ...Excuse me babe."

She believed she heard a minor disagreement between Todd and Kichi.

"I'm sorry Mr. Manning."

"Don't let it happen again. I do what I want, when I want to."

***

"Sweetheart I'm sorry about that. Where were we?"

"Going to your place," she reminded him.

"Give me ten minutes."

"Alright ten minutes it is...I love you."

"I love you too bye my love."


"I don't have any problems."

"So you are bothered."

"I won't lie...it bothers me a little. Todd is a very attractive and rich man. We've had our share of disappointments but I want this new relationship with him to work. Not that I have a great track record Llanview men but I know in my heart that Todd is Mr. Right for me."

"I wasn't referring to the bastard," Nora replied staring at her with those lawyer-type eyes. She finally understood her meaning. "You need to protect what belongs to you." Evangeline didn't respond instead she quietly finished eating her sandwich...something to consider.

***

Going into hot, pulsating sex, clothes were easily discarded, bodies emitting sweat, loud moans and heavy sighs bouncing off the walls of Todd's master bedroom. He was all up in her softness with fingers and thumb massaging her clit while he pounded into her from behind. Evangeline yelled intelligible words, gripping the bed board while her body moved back and forth.

"Ahhhhh...AHHHH....SHIT!" Her vaginal walls clamped around his erection and his world went spinning out of control. "FUCK!" He too yelled out and both fell on the bed breathing heavily.

***

"Where are you going?" She asked running a hand through her hair. Her body still desired his closeness yet he had deserted her and was walking past the bed.
"I just remember I have a hospital board meeting." She rolled over to her side and enjoyed the movement of his hips. "Can't believe a white guy has such a fine ass?"

"I can believe it when that fine ass is staring at me."

He spun around and slyly said, "Care to join me."

She grinned easing her way off the bed until the ringing of her cell phone halted her progress.

"Don't answer."

The ringtone meant a potential client. "Its business Todd," she sighed, "Someone may need a lawyer."

He decided to wait and listened carefully not liking what he heard.

"Just give me about forty-five minutes and I'll meet you at the station."

She began retrieving and changing into her clothes. With the room so quiet she knew Todd wasn't particularly happy.

"Baby I know you're disappointed," she said sitting on the edge of the bed, "But we can meet up later."

Then his cell phone started ringing. "Hey Kichi..." Todd caught a glimpse of Evangeline rolling her eyes. "Yes I'm getting ready for the meeting so you can bring the car around in the next twenty minutes..."

"Sweetie I gotta go," she said quickly kissing his cheek but Todd wouldn't let her go.

"Hold on Kichi..." He gave her a sweet kiss and said, "See you tonight," then he finally let her leave.

***

Evangeline was hired by the worried mother of a suspect charged with aggravated robbery. Small cheese or pro bono work but these cases kept her mind sharp until the next big case came along plus it gave her an opportunity to show up the LPD more plainly put John. Part of her can't get over the way he cast her aside for that red herring.

During the lineup process she clearly saw whereby he LPD rushed into charging anyone with the crime. She coolly watched as the witness struggled in making definite identification.

"It could be number 4...I'm not sure. I told you Detective that it happened so fast..."

"Take a closer look again Mrs. Murphy."

"Could be is not what is needed Detective McBain."

"One more shot...," John insisted.

"John," Nora said, "Evangeline is right. Thank you Mrs. Murphy you're free to leave."

"I'm sorry Detective."

John replied, "It's alright ma'am. We'll continue to work tirelessly on this case."

***

After filling out the necessary paperwork for her client's release she caught sight of John approaching. Tall, dark, handsome Detective McBain could trap any woman in his sticky web. Todd's love saved her. He wasn't afraid of sharing his love even when things weren't perfect.

"Maybe next time Detective McBain."

John showed his classic smile with hands on his hips. "You've won this round but like you said there's always a next time."

"But not with this client. He's not your guy. He's just someone in the wrong place at the wrong time," she said adjusting her coat and flipping her long tresses.

His heart skipped a beat. Wrong place, wrong time...

"What?"

"Nothing...How are you doing?"

"Pretty well. And you?"

"Every day I manage. The job is the job."

"You do a great job. Don't sell yourself short. Well I need to get my client out of lockup so I guess I'll see you around."

"Yeah see you."

He carefully watched as she waved at familiar faces then stepped through the door. Hard to accept to accept that she is now involved with Manning... His lost...Todd's gain. With her he had everything. Without her his life steadily went downwards. What would she say, "Cheer up John there's always someone to save but sometimes I wish you'd save yourself."

Oh Evangeline if you ask me I'll tell you what you always wanted to hear.

***

Todd whistled while strolling happily to his black BMW aware that tonight Evangeline planned on cooking a very romantic dinner. He couldn't wait to get a taste of what she had cooking along with some other tasty delights.

"Stupid Car!"

Todd thought he heard Kichi yelling in the parking space next to his. Immediately he went over to her driver's side and tapped on the window.

"Oh Mr. Manning," she replied somewhat frightened, rolling down the window.

"I didn't mean to scare you. Having some car troubles?"

"Stupid, stupid car...I don't know why it won't start. Don't worry Mr. Manning I've already called someone."

"Alright I'll be on my way then."

"But I don't know why she hasn't arrived as yet," she quickly added.

"I'm sure she will," he consoled but proceeded to go back to his vehicle.

"Mr. Manning! Mr. Manning!" she frantically shouted. Exiting her car she fell hard to the ground and yelled, "My Ankle!"

"Kichi!" Immediately he went to her aid. When it became obvious that she couldn't get up, he decided to rush her to Llanview Hospital.

***

Todd got into it with a doctor, a couple of nurses and finally a representative from the hospital's administration.

"There's no need for you to behave this way Mr. Manning," David Graham said attempting to calm the situation.

"Dave that doctor claims that it is not an emergency situation..."

"It isn't," Dr. Harrison protested.

Todd glared at Dr. Harrison and continued, "As long as my assistant can't move properly then she stays for as long as she wants. I don't give a fuck about Mr. Ryan what the fuck have you done for me lately celebrity who wants that private room. I'm on the hospital board and should be given preference over anyone else." Maybe I should think about my donation to the construction of the new hospital wing

David understood that part well enough and escorted Dr. Harrison over to the side where they had a short although tense discussion. Dr. Harrison soon left without uttering another word.

"Dave you should check into that guy's background. He's probably on Mr. Ryan's payroll..."

"Todd, can we say this episode is over."

"Got what I wanted," he replied matter-of-factly.

David shook his head and scratched his bald spot while he walked away. Dealing with Todd and these stupid situations when there were other important issues to contend with on a daily basis wasn't what he signed up for but it was his cross to bear. Thankfully these rarely occurred...thankfully.

***

"Sometimes I think you're very funny Mr. Manning."

"I enjoy throwing it down with the system," he replied as he stood by her bedside. Kichi laughed again. "Well I've got to call Evangeline and tell her why I haven't arrived as yet."

"I hope you're not in any trouble," she stated shyly.

"Nah..."

***

Didn't I tell you what I believe?
Did somebody say that
A love like that won't last?
Didn't I give you all that I've got to give, baby?

With dinner getting cold and the lighted candles flickering, she shifted her hair to the back and continued to sit through a frustrating wait. A once promising beginning to a romantic evening had lost its appeal. Where the fuck was Todd? She'd learn soon enough when her cell phone came to life.

Ohh, Love, never knew what I was missin
but I knew once we start kissing
I found...

"Todd, where the hell are you?"

"Kichi had an emergency and I had to take her to the hospital."

"I hope she's alright," she said genuinely concerned.

"Yeah she's taking it better than I am." Kichi smiled at him.

"What is that suppose to mean?"

"Nothing...nothing." He went outside on the terrace to continue their conversation. "Baby I hope you've kept dinner warm because I'm really, really starving right now," he said steering the discussion in a different direction.

"Of course baby," she replied in a relaxed voice.

"I'm sure chocolate dessert is on the menu."

"Definitely," she said seductively.

"I'll be home in the next ten to fifteen minutes. I love you."

"I love you too...bye."

***

Evangeline exhaled as she sat back down on the chair. Elements of that short conversation made her pause but she deflected any suspicions that were attempting to mentally sneak in. Most of her insecurities regarding falling in love again were behind her. This love is real.

It took him around fifteen minutes to finally arrive at the Penthouse with a dozen red roses.

He said, "You look amazing," and kissed her sweetly. She did look amazing in her burgundy, wrap around dress and matching heels. "These are my apology roses."

"Well they are very beautiful like you."

Thereafter she escorted him to the table set with long, tapered candles over beige, linen tablecloth. Dinner comprised of filet mignon with mushrooms, dinner rolls and a bottle of red wine.

"Everything looks hmmmm..." He kissed her neck, gently brought her down on his lap, draping an arm around her waist. She cut a piece of the filet mignon and offered him a bite which he happily accepted. The steak was tender, tasty. "Delicious...baby you're the greatest."

"I know," she teased.

She gave him another bite and he remarked, "Sweetheart, I'm thinking it's time for us to take this relationship to the next level."

"Meaning?" she asked eagerly.

"I want you to move in with me." Evangeline let out a breath, shoulders slumped. Sensing her disappointment he asked, "Baby, what's wrong?"

"Next level for you Todd doesn't mean moving in your girlfriend," she replied in an irritated tone.

"Evangeline, I don't have a clue what you're talking about. Does that mean you don't want to move in with me?"

"It means that you need to come better Manning," she said rising to her feet.

Soon he realized her meaning. "Sometimes I believe that you want to sabotage this relationship."

"And sometimes I believe you're doing the same thing!" she countered.

"What the fuck am I doing wrong? I've given you everything!"

"Not everything!" He lowered his gaze knowing she told the truth. "You think it's easy for me being your girlfriend. Defending our relationship to my friends, family?"

"I've never asked you to," he quietly responded.

"But I do it anyway because of the way I feel about us. The point is I want it all Todd and if you're not prepared to give it to me then I guess this has all been a fucking waste of time."

"Sweetheart...I love you."

"We have been fighting our feelings for so long and caught up in doomed relationships but we have always remained best friends and been honest with each other. Why are you holding back from me now?"

"I'm still not the man that you deserve."

"Because you have this strong belief that I'm perfect when I'm not," she softly said.

His words took her back to that moment when he visited her after they shared their first kiss on the elevator. That first magical kiss - so unexpected but it happened so naturally. It had been building up to this for quite a while. Her lips tingled hours afterwards and made her feel wonderful yet confused at the same time. It marked the beginning of the end for her relationship with Christian but it also created a new reality between her and Todd.

"Do I have to say it again? Christian doesn't deserve you."

"You're right he deserves better."

Later...

"You're obnoxious and I find it charming...Oh my God what's wrong with me?"

She planted both arms firmly on the table, bent her head forward, staring into his gorgeous blue eyes. "I've never asked you to change. You are the man I fell in love with, the good, the bad and everything else in between."

He slid his hand over hers saying, "Evangeline, I won't allow you to marry a man that will ultimately find a way to destroy our love...our happiness. I love you too much to let that happen. Sweetheart..." but she pulled her hand away.

She refused to go down this ‘dark path' with him again. Lately their minor disagreements turned into a showcase of lingering insecurities mainly his. Maybe he was unsure of the relationship. She couldn't go down this road again. She left him alone at the table preferring the soft comfort of the sofa. No need for tears.

He poured more wine into the wine glass and downed the contents in one swallow. He told himself, making her hurt now is better than later on. Nevertheless he hated doing it.

Unusual that the person who convinced her to pursue their relationship is now pushing her away.

"I'm not pushing you away," she heard him whisper by her ear. Scary how sometimes it seemed like he read her mind.

He caressed her shoulders, breathing in her scent. He loved her lavender smell because it reminded him of being far away on a tropical island. No one before or in the future could ever compare to her.

"It was easier when you seemed out of reach but now that we're together I want you to have the best not Blair's ex-husband."

"I'll understand that we need more time before taking such a huge step but you cannot take away everything that I've come to love and accept about you."

"Don't worry I'll always be the selfish bastard that you've grown to love," he laughed.

She turned around and stared deeply into his eyes. His eyes said so much without speaking. "Baby, there's no other love for me but you. You are what's best for me." He traced fingers through her loose strands then cupped her face, lips meeting in a passionate kiss.