Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

There's a bit of graphic violence in this chapter.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Lynne left the school later than she usually did.  She was having a conference with the parents of one of her students.  She had suspected that Miriam Gonzalez was dyslexic.  They were initially upset, thinking that Lynne was suggesting that their daughter was stupid until she explained that Dyslexia was a type of learning disability.  She assured them that Miriam was very bright, one of the brightest children she’d ever taught.  She produced notes that detailed notes about the observations that lead to her thinking that Miriam was dyslexic.  She also advised them to consult their pediatrician as well as providing the names of a few learning specialists in their area.  At the end of the meeting, the Gonzalez’ were well armed with information that would help them address how to help their daughter.


It was dark when Lynne headed to her car, so she didn’t see the man standing beside her car until she was close enough to see the glow from a cigarette.  The man was standing against the driver’s door of car so she couldn’t jump in and drive away.  She thought about unlocking her doors with her key fob, but she assumed that he might anticipate that and climb into the car once the doors unlocked.  She did the only sensible thing given the circumstances.  She ran back towards the school, screaming to the top of her lungs.  She also pressed the emergency button on her phone.  The assailant caught up to Lynne and grabbed her by her shoulder.  He spun her around backhanding her, striking her on the left side of her face.  She fell to the asphalt and her attacker bent over her, punching her in the eye.  He wrapped his hands around throat and began to squeeze.  Lynne began to feel the darkness closing in on her and just as it engulfed her, she felt the man jerk his hands from her throat.  She rolled to her side, coughing and gasping for air before she heard a scuffle happening close to her.  All she could hear were blows landing and someone groaning in pain.  She finally heard a sickening crunch and her assailant fell to the ground, apparently unconscious.


She felt someone leaning down next to her.  She looked up and found herself looking into Malcolm’s worried face.  Then the world went dark.


************************************


One of the police officers was taking Malcolm’s statement as he watched Lynne be strapped to a gurney and lifted into the ambulance.  


“Mr. Davenport, can you give me an account of what happened here tonight?”


“I was in my classroom grading papers when I thought I heard someone scream.  I listened to see if I heard it again, so I ran outside to see a man assaulting Lynne.  He had his hands around her throat, so I ran at him in order to get him off of her and subdue him”.


The cop smirked and said, “you subdued the hell out of him.  And judging by the marks on Mrs. Dixon’s neck, if you hadn’t have done so, she wouldn’t be alive”.  The police officer advised him that they may need him for additional questioning, but thanked him for coming to Lynne’s aid.


Malcolm looked over at Lynne’s assailant, who was conscious while Lynne wasn’t.  He felt his rage building.  He wanted to bash his head in so he was just as unconscious as she was.  But he knew that would be no help to Lynne right now.


He turned back to the ambulance Lynne was in.  He walked over and asked the paramedic if he could ride with her.  The gentleman looked at Malcolm sympathetically and told him that only family and medical personnel could ride in the ambulance.  The paramedic told him what hospital they were going to and advised him to meet them there.


Before Malcolm took off for the hospital, he called Angela and told her what happened.  


“Oh my GOD!  Who would do something like that?!” Angela exclaimed.


“Don’t know who he is, but I hope he has a long, very painful recovery”,  Malcolm said angrily.


“What hospital are they taking her to?”


“Bainbridge”.


“I’ll meet you there”, Angela said as she disconnected the call.


********************************


Angela and Malcolm both arrived at the hospital emergency department almost at the exact same time.  Angela hugged Malcolm and they headed towards the front desk and asked about her status.  The desk clerk said that she’d been moved to the neurology department.  Angela and Malcolm headed for the main building and went to the neurology department.  Malcolm walked to the nurse’s station and asked what room Lynne was in.


The nurse looked at her records and said “Mrs. Dixon is in room 17.  Unfortunately, you won’t be able to see her tonight.  Visiting hours are going to end in about 30 minutes, but you can head in for a bit”.


Malcolm and Angela walked in to find Malachi and Cameron were already there with their mother.  Cameron looked up with tears in her eyes.


Angie walked over to Cameron and took her in her arms.  “It’s gonna be okay, Cammie-bear.  Your mom is a fighter”.


Angela then turned to Malachi and hugged him as well.  She heard him sniffling and looked up at him.  “You know your mom’s gonna be fine.  Be strong, baby boy”.


Angela suddenly noticed that she hadn’t introduced the kids to Malcolm.

“Cameron, Malachi.  This is Malcolm Davenport he a fellow teacher and the reason your mother is alive”.


Cameron looked at Malcolm for a long moment then walked over to him and embraced him tightly.


“Thank you.  Thank you SO much.  We don’t even know-”


“And you don’t even have to consider the idea.  Your mom is safe and will be up and around in no time.  She’s an amazing woman”.


Malcolm turned back and looked at Lynne.  “She needs to be okay”, he thought.  “I need her to be okay”.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.