Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

More of Eric's crazy is revealed.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


The day after Christmas Dominic received a text from his sister Nessa that read: “Please Skype me in an hour”.  The text had come in about an hour ago, so he opened up his laptop and called his sister.  Her face quickly filled the screen.  Dominic smiled at his baby sister.  His smile faltered as he noticed tears in her blue eyes.


“Ness, what’s happened?”


“Dominic, maw and da told us what’s happened and I just want you to know that I don’t feel that way!” she said, her voice breaking.  “Dommy, I don’t care what race your girlfriend is, I just want you to be happy because I love you.  And if she makes you happy, I love her too!”


“Ness, she’s not my girlfriend anymore, sh-”


“WHAT!!  Dominic MacCleod you did NOT break up with the woman you love because of our narrow minded parents!  I didnae think you were such a gob (pussy), Dommy!”


Dominic smiled inwardly as he listened to Nessa rant.  At 22, she was the youngest of the three MacCleod children.  She was definitely the smartest and most outspoken.  He knew in his heart that at least his little Nessa wouldn’t fall in line with his parents’ backwards way of thinking.


“Nessa, calm down.  She’s no longer my girlfriend, she’s my fiancee.  Popped the question on Christmas morning and she was crazy enough to say yes.”


“DOMMY!  That’s feckin’ brilliant!  Where is she?  I want to say hello to my new sister!”


Dominic was grinning from ear to ear as he called to Lia.


“Li, can you come here for sec, love.  Make yourself presentable baby, there’s someone I want you to meet”.


Lia walked into the living room with Seamus following close behind.  She was wearing a pair of sweatpants and one of Dom’s old t-shirts and her hair was pulled back into a ponytail.  Dominic reached for her and pulled her into his lap.


Lia looked at the screen and smiled into the eyes of the woman looking back at her.  She knew immediately that this was Dom’s sister, Nessa.  They had the same amazing blue eyes.  And apparently, gorgeous ran in the family.  


Nessa had the same dark, curly hair that Dominic had with clear porcelain-like skin.  She had a round face with heart shaped lips and a nose that was slightly upturned.  She looked almost angelic.  


“Lia Mariani”, Dominic said, beginning his formal introduction, “This is my little sister Nessa MacCleod.  Nessa, meet Lia, my fiancee”.


Both women were grinning from ear to ear when they let out a simultaneous “Hi!”  The two seemed to be vibrating with excitement as they began chatting, completely ignoring him.


“I have been DYING to meet you!”, Lia said excitedly.  “Dominic talks about you all the time”.


“You TOO!  From the moment he met you on your first movie, he’d go on and on about how great you were.  He never went on about other girls the way he went on about you, so I knew that ya had ta be special”.  Lia looked back at Dominic and smiled.


“Hey, don’t tell her that.  Don’t want her to go thinking she has me wrapped around her finger”.


“Oh, I’m sure she knows she has you wrapped around her finger”, Nessa said, laughing.


“True.  But we don’t need to confirm it for her”.  Dominic lifted Lia off of his lap and sat her back down in the chair he vacated.  “I’ll let you two burds chat.  I’m gonna go walk Seamus.”  Dom called Seamus, put his harness on him and walked out smiling.


**********************************************


Dominic was still smiling when he re-entered the building after walking Seamus and went to check their mail.  In with the other correspondences was a letter from the apartment buildings management company.  He stood and stared at the letter, stunned.  It read:


Dear Mr. and Mrs. MacCleod,


It has come to our attention that your dog has been aggressive towards one of our other tenants. Our policy on animals is clear.  If any animal residing on our property attacks either a tenant or one of their guests, or behaves in a manner that is aggressive,  the animal MUST be removed from the premises.


We request that you remove the canine in question within 30 days of the date of this letter, or we will be forced to begin eviction proceedings.


Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.


Highland Management Company


Dominic felt his face heat up with rage.  “No way in hell”, he said through gritted teeth.


*************************************************


When Dom walked into the apartment Lia could immediately tell that he was seething.


“What’s wrong??”  Lia asked.


“Li, the management company is telling us that we have to get rid of Seamus.  Someone reported our dog to management saying that he was aggressive.  Seamus has never been aggressive towards anyone!”


“He was, Dom”, Lia said softly while rubbing Seamus’ ears.  “That creepy guy from the elevator?  Seamus barked and lunged at the guy...twice”.


“Shit!”  Dominic shouted, startling Lia and Seamus.


“Baby, calm down.  We’ll figure this out.  Maybe we could have the landlord come out and meet Seamus.  He’ll see what a sweet dog he is and then maybe he’ll get the management company to reverse their decision.”


“Yeah, we can try that.  I’ll call them tomorrow”.


“Um...maybe I should call, Dom.  I don’t know if you’ll be in the right frame of mind to be...polite”.


Dominic wanted to be offended but he knew she was right.  “You’re right.  You’ll put the right amount of sugar on it.  Not too much, though.  Don’t want them falling in love with you”, Dominic said, pulling Lia onto his lap. “You’re MINE”.


Lia lifted her head and kissed him softly.  “Always”.


***********************************************


Eric Davison smiled, very pleased with himself.  His complaint to the building’s management would surely result in that mangy cur being removed from the building.  “One less obstacle in the way of him and his love”, he thought.  That damned dog had kept him from her one too many times.


He realized, however, that his biggest obstacle was the brute she lived with.  What man has a treasure like Lia in his hands and doesn’t claim her fully?  When she was his, they’d be married right away and then he’d plant his seed in her; they’d make beautiful children together.  He smiled at the thought of his life with the woman who would be his wife.  He knew he could make her happy if she’d just give him the chance.  She’d see that that APE was beneath her.  Once she saw he was sincere, she’d accept his love.


**************************************************

Mimi called Lia around 1pm to ask her if she wanted to grab a late lunch and have some girl time.  She didn’t know if she should leave Dominic given his frame of mind, but he encouraged her to get out of the house.


“Well, maybe you should invite my brothers over for some guy time”, Lia said.  “It’ll get your mind off of things”.


“Yeah...maybe I will do that.  I’ll ring them up”.


“Okay, baby”, she said before giving him a kiss on his temple.  “I’ll see you later”.


Lia headed out of the apartment towards the elevator.  She and Mimi decided to meet up at a little bistro in the neighborhood that had great gourmet sandwiches.  It was their favorite new lunch spot.


When the elevator doors opened, she was once again face to face with Creepy Elevator Guy.  Her immediate thought was to go back to the apartment, but she was propelled onto the elevator to ask the man if he was the one who had called in the complaint about Seamus.


“Good afternoon”, she said, stiffly.


‘Oh no’, he thought. ‘She’s angry with me’.


“Good afternoon, Ms. Mariani”, he said with an unsure smile.


“How do you know my name?”  Lia asked, sharply.


He was taken aback by her tone.  Maybe he’d gone too far reporting the dog.  He hadn’t anticipated her assuming it was he who’d contacted the management company.  The last thing he wanted to do was upset her.


“W-well I-I confess to being curious about you so I asked around.  Then I saw your picture on a magazine cover.  I apologize if I was too forward.  Please forgive me”.  He almost sounded desperate.


Why hadn’t it occurred to her that he’d know her from her work?  She felt a little stupid.  

“Oh...right.  Well, I apologize for snapping, Mr…?”


Eric felt relieved and smiled. “Davison.  Eric Davison”.


“It’s nice to make your acquaintance, Mr. Davison”, she said, forcing a smile.  She may have overreacted about him knowing her name, but he still gave her the creeps.


“Please, call me Eric”, he said, extending his right hand for a handshake.


Lia reluctantly reached out with her left hand and placed it in his.


When Eric saw the diamond ring on her finger, he felt his blood begin to boil.  All semblance of decorum left him.


“What is this?”,  he said, tightening his grip on her hand.


“Oh...it’s my engagement ring”, she said warily.  “My boyfriend and I got engaged on Christmas day.”


Eric was furious, but fought for composure.  “Well, isn’t THAT nice.  Congratulations”.


“Eric, you’re hurting my hand”, Lia said, panic beginning to edge into her voice.


She looked up into his eyes and saw a flash of anger before he managed to compose himself.


“Oh, I beg your pardon.  Your ring reminded me of my dear departed mother’s engagement ring.  It took me back to fond days is all”.

 

To Lia’s relief, the elevator door opened.  She quickly exited, before tossing a “have a good day” over her shoulder.  She flew out of the building like the devil himself was chasing her.  Perhaps he was.






Chapter End Notes:

Thoughts?







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.