Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

There is original art to this story by Tripper Stollery as well as character roster and soundtrack on my livejournal page: http://yalegirl03.livejournal.com/58906.html 

This story is the sequel to Golden Bells and Serpeant Gods and is part of my Constellations series, a romance and adventure TOS stories centering around Spock/Uhura and Scotty/Charlene. 

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.





Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Fa-gad Ki’tun Hiyet (Tomorrow Has Troubles Enough)

 

Part One

 Spock crouching in the grass

 

Spock crouched low, his back pressed flush against a large grey rock. He listened as phaser fire rang out all around him, noting the occasional cry of pain as a Klingon or colleague was hit. Captain Kirk and Mr. Scott ducked behind a grouping of rocks three point four meters to his northwest, Kirk holding his phaser at the ready and Scott attempting to re-establish contact with the Enterprise. He glanced quickly to his right at Mr. Leslie who had taken cover a few feet from him, noting with some degree of admiration the look of calm determination on the man’s face.

 

That morning when he left his quarters, fresh from an argument with Nyota, he had expected this away mission to the remote moonbase to be anything but routine. Starfleet command sent the Enterprise to this remote region of space outside of the Neutral Zone to check on the status of a research outpost on the second largest moon of the gas giant Gamma-Omega. The moon had been terra-formed twenty years ago by the Federation who then established a base to study the planet.  When they received the order from Starfleet command, Kirk had thought it curious.

 

“Tell me Spock, why would Starfleet be so interested in a little rock of a moon orbiting a gas giant in an unoccupied region of space?” Kirk asked as they sat in his Ready Room after the briefing.

 

“Based upon a review of the known facts, establishing the moonbase for research purposes is a waste of valuable resources,” Spock replied. “There is nothing scientifically remarkable about Gamma-Omega or the surrounding region.”

 

“But as an intelligence outpost to monitor Klingon activity in the neutral zone,” Kirk replied as he jabbed the table with one finger for emphasis. “Especially if the rumor that the Empire is actively seeking to establish smuggling routes underneath the Federation’s radar is true, this useless rock suddenly becomes quite important.”

 

“Do you suspect that a Klingon attack accounts for the radio silence from Moonbase Gamma?”

 

“It seems like a logical conjecture,” Kirk replied.

 

“Logic and conjecture are concepts in opposition to one another,” Spock replied with an arched brow. “However, I would agree that your assumption is reasonable. We should prepare for the possibility of encountering Klingon forces.”

 

“Well, if Klingons are behind this, let us hope that they are long gone by the time we get there.”

 

Per usual, Jim’s hope to avoid conflict proved useless. Not five minutes after the team had landed, they came under heavy fire from Klingons. When they attempted to contact the ship, they discovered that their signal was jammed. Apparently the Klingons had anticipated their arrival. They had beamed down into a trap.

 

“I’m going in, Mr. Scott,” Kirk told Scotty once it was clear that communications with the ship were still impeded. “Cover me.”

 

“Captain, we don’t know how many of them are holed up in there. It’s too risky,” Scotty argued, grasping Kirk by the arm.

 

“If we don’t destroy that jamming device we’ll never get off this rock alive. You have your orders, Mr. Scott. Cover me.”

 

With that, Kirk leapt from behind the rock, dodging and diving under phaser blasts as he made his way to the outpost. Spock, noticing his rash move, signaled for Mr. Leslie before he too made his way towards the outpost with the aid of Leslie’s cover fire. They were not more than two meters from the outpost before Jim was hit in the abdomen. Spock quickly moved towards his side, dragging the Captain’s body behind a boulder. He fired two shots in the air, signaling for Leslie and Scotty to make their way towards the outpost before he turned and took aim at the Klingons once more.  Scotty and Leslie made their way towards the outpost entrance, shooting Klingons as they ran. Spock rose from his position to provide them adequate cover and was hit in the arm, a phaser blast grazing his shoulder. Spock fell back, assessing his injury, before resuming fire. Between the three of them, they soon managed to kill twelve Klingons who had been guarding the outpost.

 

Once the dust settled and it became clear that it was safe to proceed. Spock ordered Leslie and Scott to go ahead of him and quickly scout the outpost while he tended the unconscious captain.

 

“It’s all clear, Commander,” Scotty shouted as he ran towards Mr. Spock. “Is the Captain alive?”

 

“Barely,” Spock replied as he carried Kirk into the outpost, ignoring the searing pain in his shoulder. “Please busy yourself with locating and disabling the jamming device while I take the captain to the medical bay.”

 

Scotty hesitated, his dark eyes roaming over the unmoving figure of his captain and friend before taking off to locate the communications lab.

 

Spock soon found the ransacked medical bay and deposited the captain onto a somewhat functioning biobed. The Klingons had been thorough in their plunder of the outpost. Spock examined the readings on the biobed and permitted himself a slight frown. What he saw was not good. While it was fortunate that the phaser blast had not proven to be lethal, the captain had sustained severe injuries to his internal organs. There also appeared to be severe internal bleeding. Spock turned away from the biobed. If they were not able to contact the ship and beam aboard within the hour, the captain would certainly die.

 

****************

 

“Full power to starboard shields,” Sulu ordered from the command chair.

 

“Aye, sir,” Uhura replied, “Full power to starboard shields.”

 

Uhura’s fingers flew nimbly over the controls, as if manning the helm was her routine duty. She was thankful that she thought to schedule weekly piloting and navigation simulations in order to maintain her skill set. She was seldom called to man Sulu and Chekov’s station, but when she was, they were always in a crisis situation. What was supposed to be a rather routine check-in with an outpost had turned into a Klingon attack. A half hour after sending Spock and the Captain down to the surface, the Enterprise had come under attack from a cloaked Klingon warship that was patrolling the area.

 

“Prepare forward phasers. Lock onto target.”

 

“Aye, sir,” Chekov replied. “Phasers locked.”

 

Before Sulu could issue the command to fire, the ship was rocked violently by a photon blast. Uhura was thrown from her seat and landed heavily on the floor, her head striking the arm of her chair. She quickly scrambled to her feat, shaking off the haze that filled her head. Uhura always found herself thrown about the ship whenever there was turbulence. Spock had always been there to lift her small frame from the deck and deposit her in her seat. As she resumed her seat at the helm, she allowed herself a fleeting thought of concern for her partner.

 

“Shields at seventy percent, Mr. Sulu.”

 

That morning Spock and Uhura had a rare argument over the status of their relationship. In the months since the events on Hytherox IV, their relationship had progressed from intimate friends to lovers contemplating marriage. [1]While some on board thought that the development was a rapid one, Spock and Uhura knew that their love had been slow burning. It was four years in the making, arguably even longer than that. The night before, Spock had admitted to her that his interest had been kindled three years prior to her arrival on the Enterprise when he encountered her as a cadet at Starfleet Academy. Uhura had been charmed by this admission, plopping herself down in Spock’s lap and peppering his face with kisses.

 

“Oh, that is so sweet, Spock,” she purred as she rested her head in the crook of his neck. “Love at first sight.”

 

“I would not call it that, Nyota,” Spock replied, his deep voice rumbling pleasantly in her ear. “Our interaction was insufficient to trigger shon-ha-lock. [2] However, I did find your appearance highly pleasing.”

 

Nyota lifted her head from his shoulder, brushing her cheek against his in a manner she knew he found stimulating.

 

“Well, let’s call it lust at first sight. I admit that I found you to be rather sexy as well. All tall and severe and dressed in black,” she whispered as she peppered kisses down his neck. “You were so appealing standing there half in shadow watching me.”

 

“You describe me in terms similar to a vampire of Terran myth,” Spock replied.

 

“Vampires were rumored to be very sexy.”

 

Spock arched one brow. “I am constantly intrigued by what human women find sexually appealing. It is illogical for you to consider a parasite to be a suitable mate.”

 

Uhura sat back, running one hand across his chest in a manner Spock found most distracting. “Well, I always like it when you bite, Spock,” she replied with an innocent smile.

 

“The compulsion to bite one’s mate is an instinctual drive of the Vulcan meant to mark one’s mate to ward off rivals,” Spock explained. “It is completely dissimilar to the vampire’s need to bite his victim to acquire sustenance.”

 

Uhura laughed and rose from her perch on his lap. “I think I require an empirical study in order to truly understand the difference.”

 

“I would be happy to oblige your scientific curiosity, lieutenant.”

 

Early the following morning they lay in bed, Uhura wishing that time would slow, Spock enjoying the coolness of his fiancée’s body pressed against his.

 

“Spock,” Uhura began. “After this mission is over and we’ve married, what do you see ourselves doing?”

 

“I imagine that we would undertake a shorter term deep space mission or take teaching positions at the academy,” Spock replied. He was reluctant to have this important conversation when they only had an hour to spare before they had to ready themselves for duty. “Is this plan to your liking, Nyota?”

 

Uhura turned towards Spock, propping herself up on one elbow so that she could watch him.

 

“I like the idea of teaching for a short time. But, I think I am not ready to give up the excitement of deep space exploration. I’d like to take another five-year commission. Preferably under Captain Kirk.”

 

“The Enterprise would prove to be an unsuitable place for the raising of children, Nyota.”

 

“Who said anything about children?”

 

“As you are already past the period of optimal fertility, it is only logical that we begin to have children within the next five years. Although medical advances have enabled human women to have children well into their sixties, due to my unique biological makeup, it would be best for me to impregnate you sooner rather than later.”

 

“So you are saying I’m old? I’ve just turned 29!” Uhura sat up fully in the bed, the sheets sliding down to her waist.

 

Spock found himself momentarily distracted by the view. He calculated that they had sufficient time to attempt impregnation before they must prepare for duty. Uhura huffed, noticing the direction of his eyes. She leapt from the bed, pulling a sheet tight around her body.

 

“Not on your life, buster! I’m pissed at you if you haven’t guessed!”

 

“Your anger is illogical, Nyota. I have merely stated the scientific fact that you are rapidly approaching the end of your natural fertility period. Furthermore, as our current mission has demonstrated, deep space exploration is a dangerous endeavor that is unsuitable for children. It would be wise for us to establish our family on Earth or, preferably, on Vulcan until our offspring have reached an age of maturity whereby it would be suitable for my parents to undertake their care.”

 

“Well, I am glad that you have everything so neatly planned out,” Uhura replied, her eyes narrowed. “But, if you had cared to consult me, you would know that I’ve worked too hard to be grounded after my first mission.”

 

“I do not understand, Nyota. Am I not consulting you now?”

 

“Ugh, I can’t even talk about this right now. Our shift is starting soon and we’ll definitely need to have a long hard talk about this.”

 

Spock rose from the bed. “Your logic is sound. We shall continue our conversation this evening. Would you care to join me in the shower, Nyota?”

 

Uhura looked at him as if he had grown a second head. She dropped her sheet, ignoring Spock’s intrigued look, and hurriedly pulled her uniform dress over her head.

 

“Thank you, no. I think I’ll take my dusty ovaries back to my quarters and shower alone!”

 

Uhura tucked away that morning’s argument. She had to focus on the battle at hand. She did not allow herself to consider the fact that Spock may have been correct; that he might never return to the ship alive; that she and the entire crew could be blown out of the sky.

 

“Photon torpedoes ready, Mr. Sulu,” she stated.

 

“Fire when ready, lieutenant.”

 

“Firing torpedoes.”

 

“Direct hit,” Chekov yelled. “Klingon shields are now offline.”

 

“Fire full phasers, Uhura. Chekov, follow with another photon torpedo. Fire when ready.”

 

“Aye, sir.”

 

Uhura’s fingers flew over the controls, locking and engaging all phaser banks. She watched as the warship was rocked by phaser fire and then destroyed by the photon torpedo. She released a sigh of relief.

 

“Lt. Palmer, do we have contact with the landing party?”

 

“Yes, Mr. Sulu. Communications are back online.”

 

“Hail the captain,” Sulu ordered, his voice tense.

 

“The captain is not answering, sir.”

 

“Hail Mr. Spock.”

 

Enterprise this is Commander Spock.”

 

Uhura could not hide her smile of relief at the sound of Spock’s deep voice filling the bridge.

 

**********

 

“The transporter was knocked offline during the attack, Mr. Spock,” Sulu reported after Spock’s request for an emergency beam up to Sickbay. “We’ll send down a medical shuttle to retrieve the captain.”

 

“Time is of the essence, Mr. Sulu,” Spock spoke into his communicator.

 

“Aye, sir.”

 

“Assemble a landing team comprised of engineering, communications and security officers to secure the outpost and get communications with Starfleet back online. Please send an emergency communication to Starfleet command informing them of the Klingon presence on Moonbase Gamma.”

 

“Aye, sir.”

 

Spock closed the connection before hailing Mr. Scott to check on their progress with the outpost systems.

 

**********

 

Uhura sat next to Doctor McCoy on the Jameson, piloting the shuttlecraft down to the surface. She had immediately requested to be sent down to the outpost with the medical team rather than joining the team tasked with restoring communications at the outpost. Sulu granted her request after giving her a searching look providing that she join the communications team once the captain was back on board. She worried her lip as she steered the ship through a bit of turbulence.

 

“Don’t worry doll face,” Len said as he reached over to pat her shoulder. “Jim has been in these scrapes before. It’ll take more than an errant phaser blast to take him out of commission.”

 

“I’m sure you’re right, Len,” Nyota replied.

 

While she was worried about the captain, she was anxious to see Spock. He did not mention his own condition during his brief communication with the bridge. She knew him well enough to assume that he was well, or at least not seriously injured. Spock was not one to convey unnecessary information during an emergency. Still, she worried, their argument that morning in the forefront of her mind.

 

Uhura landed the shuttle deftly in front of the outpost, leaving the ship powered on as she opened the shuttle doors. They would take off as soon as the captain was on board.

 

Uhura rose from her seat and went to the shuttle door, watching as Chapel and McCoy ran towards the advancing figure of Spock, their medical scanners at the ready. Uhura gasped at the sight; Captain Kirk lay limply over Spock’s shoulder as he walked determinedly towards the shuttle. Around them, the lifeless bodies of a dozen or so Klingons littered the ground. Uhura resisted the urge to run to Spock’s side and examine him for injury. Allowing herself to watch his approach was luxury enough. She resumed her seat at the pilot’s chair, readying the ship for takeoff as additional nurses left the ship to see to any injured crewmen or Klingon fighters that may have survived.

 

Once the captain was on board, Uhura shut the shuttle doors and lifted the craft off of the ground. She busied herself flipping switches as she guided them back to the Enterprise, compensating for the turbulence of breaking atmosphere so that the captain was jostled as little as possible. She spared a quick glance to her side when Spock sat in the chair next to her, his dark eyes watching her as she worked.

 

“Lieutenant Uhura, why are you part of the medical emergency team? Your primary training is not that of a pilot or an EMT.”

 

Uhura kept her eyes focused on the view screen. “The medical team required a pilot for the shuttle, sir. I volunteered and the commanding officer approved.”

 

Spock gently laid his hand over hers.

 

You must not let your feelings for me affect the mission, however trivially. He said through their link.

 

My choice hasn’t hurt the mission at all. Nyota replied.

 

“Your presence is not required here and is better served elsewhere.”

 

“Yes, sir. However, in addition to communications, I have been trained as a pilot and navigator. I have performed admirably in all of these areas, sir.”

 

“Would you both mind cutting down the chit-chat,” McCoy’s angry voice rang out. “Some of us are trying to concentrate on our jobs here!”

 

“I apologize if our conversation has impeded your work,” Spock replied after a time. “Lieutenant, we shall continue our discussion at a later time.”

 

Uhura nodded curtly before focusing all of her attention on flying the shuttle. She expertly guided the Jameson into the shuttle bay, bringing the shuttle to a gentle landing in a berth closest to the turbolifts. She remained in her chair a few minutes after McCoy and his team rushed the captain to Sickbay, Spock on their heels. Nyota was furious.

 

***********

 

Charlene’s foot tapped an insistent rhythm against the carpeted floor as the turbolift ascended to Deck 8. She was eager to get to Scotty’s quarters. As soon as she finished her shift, she sent a message to Scotty informing him that she would be waiting for him in his quarters with a hot meal once he was able to get away from overseeing the repairs to the transporter. After that afternoon’s Klingon ambush, the noise and clutter of the mess hall seemed inappropriate for their reunion. In the privacy of their quarters, she could drop her professional façade and indulge in the luxury of fussing over her boyfriend away from prying eyes.

 

Dangerous missions were a way of life aboard the Enterprise and Charlene had seen her fair share of harrowing situations despite her seemingly safe position as Head Geophysicist. However, it was an entirely different kettle of fish when someone she loved was out there risking life and limb for the Federation. Scotty had a penchant for being assigned to dangerous missions. This time he had been fortunate to escape uninjured.

 

Charlene shifted her tray to rest on one hip as she keyed in the code to Scotty’s quarters.

 

“Lights, sixty percent,” Charlene ordered as she stepped into the room.

 

She shut her eyes briefly and inhaled Scotty’s familiar musky scent that lay heavy in the air of his quarters. She set up their dinner on a corner table and turned on a few faux candles for ambiance before walking around the partition towards the sleeping alcove. She changed out of her uniform into one of the casual dresses she kept in Scotty’s closet, pausing briefly to admire her uniforms that hung next to his. Just as she finished slipping on a long sleeved yellow dress, she heard the door slide open.

Charlene smiled brightly and hurried to the front room to greet Scotty. She came to a sudden halt when she met Mira Romaine instead.

 

“Mira, what are you doing here?” Charlene demanded once she had recovered herself.

 

“I wanted to talk to Scotty, is that a crime?” Mira replied, her hands resting on her hips.

 

“Then send him a damn message,” Charlene snapped. “I suggest that you get the hell out of here before I do something I regret.”

 

Mira sniffed before turning and heading towards the door just as Scotty entered the room.

 

“Mira, what are you doing here?”

 

“She was just leaving,” Charlene bit out as she walked to Scotty’s side. “Weren’t you Mira?”

 

Charlene gripped Scotty’s arm as she shot daggers at the woman.

 

“Yes,” Mira finally sniffed before continuing her exit. “I’ll talk to you tomorrow, Scotty.”

 

As soon as Mira left, Charlene dropped Scotty’s arm and stomped towards the sleeping alcove, her concern for Scotty momentarily supplanted by rage. Scotty followed her, sitting next to her on the bed.

 

“Why does that woman know the code to your door, Montgomery?” Charlene asked before Scotty could open his mouth.

 

Scotty bit his lip, knowing that Charlene only used his full name when she was particularly upset.

 

“I suppose I forgot to change it after she transferred to Memory Alpha,” he explained weakly.

 

“Well, I highly suggest that you change it! She just can’t waltz in here willy nilly.”

 

“Aye, I’ll do just that, lass,” Scotty replied as he rubbed her back in soft circles.

 

Charlene sighed and leaned into his touch.

 

“I’m sorry to snap at you, Monty. I just don’t like that woman sniffing around you. It is bad enough that I have to put up with her sour attitude in my lab, but I won’t have her trying to get her claws back into you. I don’t like to share.”

 

Scotty wrapped one strong arm around her waist, pulling her against his side.

 

“I understand, lass. But, ya don’t have anything ta fear in that department. You’re all the woman I could ever handle…that I would ever want to handle,” Scotty amended at her snort. “I’ve told Mira that is over between us. I’ll have a good talk with her tomorrow and lay down some clear boundaries.”

 

“I wish she never transferred back to this ship,” Charlene sighed as she turned into his embrace. “I don’t like fighting over a man. It’s so...primitive.”

 

“Aye, but I think I’d like to see that,” Scotty smiled. “But, there’ll be no need for fisticuffs as I’m not buying what she’s selling.”

 

“Good.”

 

Charlene leaned in for another kiss when the sound of Scotty’s stomach growling loudly interrupted her. Scotty looked embarrassed as Charlene laughed.

 

“Come on, Monty,” she replied smilingly as she urged him to stand. “Let’s see to feeding that hungry beast.”

 

***************

 

Spock found Nyota seated alone in the recreation room, nursing a cold cup of coffee, a few hours after they had returned to the ship. He sat beside her and quelled his disappointment when she refused to acknowledge him.

 

“You are angry with me, Nyota,” Spock stated after a few minutes of silence.

 

“Of course I am,” Uhura said as she spun around in her chair to face him. “How could you embarrass me like that?”

 

Spock cocked his head to the side. “I do not understand.”

 

Nyota huffed in frustration. “You scolded me like a child and openly questioned my abilities in front of Len and Christine.”

 

“I do not recall scolding you, Nyota. I posed legitimate questions about your inclusion on the emergency medical team.”

 

“That’s what I mean. You talked as if I am nothing more than a glorified secretary rather than a trained Starfleet officer!”

 

“Nyota, you know that I have a great appreciation and respect for you as a communications officer. Your role on the bridge is vital to the functioning of this ship.”

 

“Yes, but I am so much more than a communications officer. When Leslie hops from security to engineering to medical, you never second-guess his abilities. He operated on you once, for goodness sake. [3] And you never question Sulu or Chekov when they switch positions. It is just my abilities that appear to give you pause. I completed the same multi-department trainings that Leslie, and Sulu and every other bridge officer was required to take.”

 

Spock reached over and grasped both of her hands in his, willing her to look at him. Her dark eyes were wet with unshed tears.

 

“I apologize, Nyota. You are correct. You are more than capable as a pilot and a communications officer. Indeed, you excel at every task to which you put your hand.”

 

Nyota ducked her head.

 

“Perhaps my concerns were poorly worded,” Spock continued. “It was not your abilities that I question, but the logic behind your choices. Your decision was driven by emotion, by your concern for my welfare. While I am…gratified that you care for me so strongly, you must learn to divorce your love for me from the mission. In this instance, your emotions did not lead you to make a choice that jeopardized the mission. But this will not always be the case.”

 

Nyota slipped her hand from his grasp and cupped his cheek.

 

“I think it is impossible to completely shut off my love for you, Spock. You also can’t tell me that you would’ve been successful in doing the same.”

 

Spock turned his face into her hand, pressing a kiss to her palm. “You are correct k’diwa, but we must both endeavor to act in such a manner. [4] One day you may have to make a choice between my life and the optimal success of the mission. You must strive to choose the latter.”

 

“Oh, Spock. Don’t make me promise such a thing,” Uhura replied before wrapping her arms around his shoulders. She drew back abruptly at his audible hiss of pain.

 

“You’re hurt! Why didn’t you let Len patch you up?”

 

“I was merely grazed and the doctor was occupied with Captain Kirk. My injuries do not require more than what can be found in a standard first aid kit.”

 

Uhura rose from her seat, tugging on Spock’s hand. “Come then, I’ll patch you up in my quarters and you can change into a fresh tunic.”

 

“I should report to the bridge, Nyota. My injuries can wait.”

 

“Sulu has things well in hand, Spock. This will only take a few minutes.”

 

“I am first officer and acting captain of this ship, lieutenant,” Spock reminded her.

 

“And I am your wife-to-be. So, I outrank you, mister,” Uhura replied with a watery smile. “It is logical for you to just give in now, Spock, rather than waste time arguing with me.”

 

Spock dipped his head, his mouth curved in a gentle smile. “Very well, Captain.”

 

 

Footnotes:

 

[1] Refers to a story in my Constellations TOS series that precedes this called Golden Bells and Serpent Gods. You don’t have to have read Golden Bells in order to understand what is happening in this story.

[2] shon-ha-lock= “The Engulfment” or “love at first sight” in Vulcan. VLD

[3] According to Memory Alpha, Lt. Leslie was the Jack-of-all-trades (or the Barbie) of the Enterprise. He worked in engineering and manned the helm. He was a navigator, a security officer, medical assistant, acting captain and a science officer. In “Amok in Time” and “The Man Trap,” he assisted McCoy in Sick Bay, even operating on Spock. Likewise, Uhura was a multi-talented officer. She manned the helm in “Balance of Terror” and was acting captain in several TAS episodes (none of which I’ve seen). Uhura also initially wore command gold.

[4] k’diwa= Vulcan for “beloved”