Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.



    Tara awoke in Sam’s bed and felt like she should never leave. She got up, smiling at the still sleeping Sam, put on a robe and padded out to the kitchen. She began getting the makings together for pancakes, when the door to the trailer opened, and Sam’s little brother, Tommy, sauntered in.

    Tara didn’t know what to make of Tommy. He was polite but she could tell that there was something going on between the boy and Sam. It was as if Sam was taking him in because he felt obligated, and that was it.

    “You want some breakfast?” Tara asked, thinking she might as well cook for him too.

    “No thanks. Debbie fixed me something.”

    “Debbie?”

    “Yeah, you know, that waitress Sam hired the other day? Best investment my big brother could’ve ever made! She fucks like a steam engine.”

    Tara slowly began mixing some batter together.

    “You spent the night with the new waitress?”

    “Yep!” Tommy crowed, putting his hands behind his head. Tara sighed. This Debbie didn’t sound too bright. Sam stumbled out wearing a robe and peered at Tommy.

    “You just get in?”

    “Yep!”

    Tara walked over to the stove and began pouring the batter onto a griddle. She decided not to say anything to Sam about what Tommy just told her--not that it mattered. Tommy then began yapping.

    “That Debbie is fucking hot, Sam! Thanks for hiring her!”

    Sam walked past him, opened up the trailer door, got the paper and stepped back in again.

    “Uh thanks, I think? So you worked with her the other night?”

    “I did more than ‘work’ with her. Though I have to say, while we fucked, she kept pumping me for infor...”

    “Whoa! You fucked my new waitress?!” Sam asked, his tone bordering on outrage. Tara turned the burner down very low and looked over at them.

    “Sam, just leave it be.”

    “Hell no, Tara, I’m not going to leave it be! By the time my little brother is through with her, I’ll need to hire a new waitress! Stay the fuck away from her, okay? You’ve already stressed out Hoyt with your bullshit with Jessica.”

    “Hoyt should face me like a man, if he wants to de-stress over Jessica--man, he doesn’t deserve her...” Tommy ranted.

    Tara flipped the pancakes just as a knock on the door caught their attention. Sam walked over and opened it to Andy Bellfleur. And unfortunately, whatever ‘glamouring’ that had been done on him the other night, had worn off.

    “Sam, Tommy...Tara. Sorry to bother you this mornin’, but Lula Daniels is screaming bloody miurder--the Reverend passed in the night.”

    Tommy looked confused. Sam eyed Tara, who turned off the burner and faced Andy.

    “Andy, don’t tell me you’re back here accusing me of this shit, again?”

    “I need for you to get dressed and come on down to the station.”

    “Andy, this is ridiculous, you know that, right?” Sam asked.

    “I have to be thorough here, Sam. Sorry. Tara, could you get dressed?”

    Tara sighed, flipped one last pancake that had begun to bubble, then shuffled off to get dressed. Sam followed her.

    “Tara, let me come with you.”

    “Why? They don’t have nothing.”

    Sam gently rested his hands on her shoulders.

    “Why would you question why I would want to be with you now? How long are we going to keep denying that we are much more than ‘friends with benefits’.”

    “Sam...”

    “No, Tara. You came to  me yesterday because you wanted to be with someone that cared. I more than care. And you more than care about me. Let’s get dressed, go down to the police station together and lay this crap to rest, okay?”

    Tara said nothing for a long moment, then nodded.

                                                         ****

    Because of her ability to see the future, Ruby Jean was already at the police station, when Andy walked in, followed by Sam and Tara. Sam frowned when he saw her.

    “Tara? Ain’t that your aunt?”

    Tara saw Ruby Jean sitting in a waiting room chair and frowned. She made her way over to her.

    “Aunt Ruby Jean? What are you doing here?”

    “Oh Tara honey!” Ruby Jean cooed, pulling Tara into an embrace so tight, Tara thought she would choke! She managed to pull away.

    “Why are you here? Are you in some kind of trouble?” Tara asked.

    “Honey, no. Lula Daniels has been running her mouth all over creation, that you killed her husband. I knew they’d be bringing you down here.”

    “The reverend’s wife is saying Tara is a killer?” Sam asked uneasily.

    “Hello, Sam. Yes, sorry. Russell would’ve been here but you know...it’s day...so he’s asleep.”

    “Oh, right.” Tara replied. “It’s okay because we all know that I don’t know nothin’ about rigging anything.”

    “Tara!” Andy barked. Tara looked at Sam, giving him a quick kiss, before walking towards Andy and into an interrogation room. The door closed and Sam exhaled. Ruby Jean swallowed the small amount of guilt that was creeping into her stomach. Sam Merlotte clearly cared for Tara. Would that damned werewolf show her the same devotion?

    Speaking of...Ruby Jean’s cellphione rang and she could see Alcide was the caller.

    “Yes?” she asked in a tight voice.

    “I thought Eric Northman glamoured the sheriff last night?”

    “He did.”

    “Then why the fuck is Tara in jail?” Alcide asked gruffly.

    “She’s not. She’s being questioned.” Ruby Jean said then mouthed to a curious Sam ‘LaFayette’. Sam, believing that was who she was talking to, nodded absently.

    “The point is, if they arrest her, then that fucks up the plan, doesn’t it?”

    Ruby Jean cleared her throat and moved out of Sam’s hearing.

    “Alcide, the plan is to get Tara over to the mansion today. Your company is working on our pool house. You can spend some time with her then.”

    “Not if she’s in jail. And all the goddamned vamps are asleep! So she can’t be glamoured out!”

    “Then we’ll get her out fhe old fashioned way--I’ll get her a lawyer. Goodbye!” Ruby Jean snapped, hanging up on him. She was beginning to feel like LaFayette about this whole thing. But hell, the breeding either had to come from LaFayette or Tara, and since LaFayette wasn’t into women...

    “Is LaFayette coming down?” Sam asked.

    “Uh, no. He doesn’t feel as if he’d be any help. I’m sure Andy will realize this is a big mistake and it will all get cleared up.” Ruby Jean smiled reassuringly.

    Meanwhile, Alcide, who was with his crew on Russell Edgington’s estate, made another call--to Debbie Pelt.

    “Tell me you’ve fucked that shifter at least once already?” Alcide asked.

    “You know these things take time, baby.”

    “Don’t ‘baby’ me! We had an agreement. I would keep you and that rat bastard boyfriend of yours, Coot, in ‘V’, if you made sure Tara saw you having sex with Sam Merlotte. I need it done before the full  moon tomorrow night.”

    “And it will be. I’ve already fucked his brother...”

    “Lord, Jesus, no one told you to go and do that!”

    “Well it’s done! And I got a lot of information about your couple from doing that! Do you want to hear about it, or what?”

    “Yeah. Later. I’ll call you with a time and place.” Alcide said, before hanging up. He glanced around the property. Yes, everything would look legit when Tara showed up today. Alcide didn’t like doubting himself when it came to women, but Eric Northman’s jibes last night had rattled him. What IF he couldn’t get Tara Thornton into  bed by tomorrow night? He needed some kind of back up plan. And no, waiting until the next full moon next month, was not in the cards. He didn’t want to wait.

    Alcide shook off his doubts. There was no point in thinking like that. Once he spent some time alone with Tara, he would be able to gauge what his chances were for success tomorrow night.

                                                        ****

    “You know, maybe someone should tell Lula Daniels that her husband made a lot of enemies! Hell, there are plenty of angry husbands that could’ve rigged that light. I don’t know why you’re blaming me.” Tara huffed.
   
    “Lula Daniels said that your mama, Lettie Mae, seduced the good reverend and almost broke up their family home. When Lula confronted her husband, he chose to stay with his family. Lettie Mae took it hard and drank herself to death. You decided to avenge your mama by killing the reverend.” Andy ‘revealed’.

    “During MY mother’s funeral? Andy, really! I’m telling you I don’t know shit about rigging anything!”

    Andy folded his arms and regarded her for a long moment, before speaking again.

    “Fine, Tara. I don’t have enough to hold you. But I don’t want you leaving town anytime soon.”

    “Where am I going to go? And I think this is messed up! Do you have my fingerprints on anything?”

    “We’ll be in touch.” was all Andy said to that. Tara jumped up and stomped out of the room. Sam and Ruby Jean were still wating.

    “Well?” Sam asked.

    “Andy told me not to leave town! I can’t believe this! And he’s insinuating that I’m some kind of suspect! You know what? I’m going to talk some sense into Lula Daniels!”

    “No, you are not!” Sam argued. “There’s been enough trouble all around.”

    “Sam’s right, honey,” Ruby Jean echoed, “I’ll tell you what? Let’s let Sam get to his business and you come out and see my new house? We’ll hire a lawyer as well, in case this turns into real trouble.”

    Sam felt relieved. He hated to even go there, but he liked Ruby Jean’s thinking. It WAS time to bring in a lawyer. And if Tara was at the Edgington estate, then she couldn’t be up in Lula Daniels face, making things worse for herself.

    “I think your aunt has a good idea. Go with her.” Sam whispered.

    “Sam, I need to keep busy. I’ll work today or something.” Tara answered back.

    Ruby Jean interrupted.

    “Tara, we need to get to know one another again. I intend on stepping into the shoes that Lettie Mae couldn’t fill. I’m just reconnecting with my boy...please, give me a chance?”

    “Aunt Ruby Jean, this is not about not wanting to give you a chance. I just...I mean you married a vampire and that isn’t even legal, I think.” Tara said.

    “All the more reason for you to come with me. Like I said, Russell is asleep. Lafayette and Jesus will be around. You just need some time to relax.” Ruby Jean said in a lulling tone of voice. Tara looked at Sam with questioning eyes.

    “You think I should do this?”

    “I do.” Sam smiled, kissing her forehead. “Go have some fun with your aunt. I’ll see you later.”

    Tara watched as Sam walked away. She barely felt her aunt’s arm, as she lead her out of a side door and to her car. She could not shake the feeling that going out to Russell Edgington’s estate was a mistake.

                                                           ****

    Lafayette glanced over at Alcide, when he spotted his mother and Tara coming towards the pool area.  Alcide and his crew were ‘supposed’ to be making plans to put in a pool house. So there was a lot of fake looking construction stuff around. But LaFayette knew no such thing was going on.

    Jesus did too. They both lay on chaise’s, while wearing nothing but swimming trunks. Alcide, who was wearing nothing but a pair of overalls, glanced at Ruby Jean and Tara, as if they were passing acquaintances.
    
    “This. Is. Fucked. Up.” LaFayette said in a low, sing-song voice.

    “Chill, okay? If what Tara and this Sam guy has is strong, then the plan will fall through, okay? But for now we have to go along with it. Is Eric coming over tonight?”

    “Yeah for more messed up witch training.” LaFayette replied, as Ruby Jean and Tara  presented themselves.

    “Boys? Look who’s here!” Ruby Jean said brightly, glancing over at Alcide, who was standing some distance away.

    LaFayette got up and enveloped Tara in a big bear hug!

    “Tara, when mama said that the po-po had you...”

    “The po-po never had me. This is all a mistake.” Tara said, smiling up at him. LaFayette looked good. Really good. Living this good life agreed with him. Jesus stood up and hugged her as well, even though he didn’t know her all that well.

    “Hey, Tara. I was at your mother’s service. Sorry for your loss.”

    “It’s okay. Mama is in a better place.” Tara said, as she tried to shake the feeling that someone was staring at her. She looked over at a construction crew that read ‘Herveaux Construction’.  Tara raised a brow, then looked at her aunt.

    “You all hired Alcide’s crew to do some work out here?” Tara asked. Ruby Jean feigned ignorance.

    “Who? I’m sorry, dear, but Russell takes care of the hiring around here.”

    “Alcide Herveaux...his company fixed up Sookie’s house. Isn’t that something that he’s out here now.” Tara said more to herself than anyone else. She smiled wanly at him, as he greeted her smile with a nod. Ruby Jean coughed!

    “I’m going to see about  getting you all some lunch. I’ll be back.” she said and hurried off back towards the house. Tara glanced after her aunt, then focused on Jesus.

    “So did you quit working too?”

    “Who said I quit working?” Jesus asked, sounding slightly defensive.

    “Well, hell, it’s got to be almost ten in the morning! Unless you’re working the night shift--you did work at the hospital my aunt used to live in, right? What’s up with that anyway? I mean for years she was crazy and now she’s like anyone else. Did you all use new drugs on her or something?”

    That, was one too many questions for Jesus! Worse yet, he had not anticipated being the one having to lie on this day.

    “I think it was a miracle.” LaFayette said. “Listen, Jesus and I are going back up to the house for a minute. Why don’t you look around for a bit, okay?”

    Tara frowned as the two guys got the hell out of Dodge! Tara continued frowning, as the same feeling came over her from before. The one that told her she had no earthly business being out at some vamp’s mansion, while he slept. What she needed to be doing is confronting lying ass Lula Daniels AND getting her pound of flesh for her mother’s pain.

    She suddenly looked over at Alcide, who had been looking at her again. Tara walked over to him, smiling brightly.

    “Do me another favor?” she asked.

                                                            ****

    Alcide only pretended to go along with Tara’s request, that he drive her to Lula Daniels home. No damned good would come of such a fool errand anyway.

    Tara realized it when she saw that Alcide was actually taking her back to Sookie’s house!

    “What the fuck?! Where are we going?” Tara whined.

    “Where do you think? I’m not about to take you to the reverend’s home. I heard your aunt and cousin talking earlier. It’s best you steer clear of that situation.”

    “Says who?” she argued as Alcide pulled up in Sookie’s drive. Tara got out quickly and headed for her car. Alcide managed to beat her to it! He practically ripped open the hood and yanked at some wires!

    “Oh my God!” Tara snapped. “You’re paying for that!”

    Alcide slammed down the hood.

    “And you’re not going anywhere!”

    “What is this to you?! Why couldn’t you just do as I asked? Never mind! I’ll find my own ride over there.” Tara said dismissively. She skulked away from Alcide, hurried up the porch steps and unlocked the door to the house. She pushed the door back to slam, then realized it never did.

    That’s because Alcide caught it and came inside, closing it after him!

    “No one invited you in, either! Get out!”

    “Tara, listen to me: I got the feeling that that man you came to your mother’s funeral with last night, was someone important to you. Do you want to end up in a situation where you can never be with him again?”

    Tara glared at Alcide, then finally looked down and away.

    “No.” she muttered. “But I can’t be called a murderer either.”

    “It will die down.”

    Tara kicked at some imaginary dirt(or not so imaginary) on the floor.

    “Okay. I’ll stay put. You can go now.” she groused. Alcide nodded and she walked him to the front door. Just as Alcide opened it, he just as quickly closed the door, grabbed Tara and lifted her so that her lips met his in a firm kiss!

    Tara screamed into his moufh, kicked out and was dropped abruptly!

    “Are you out of your goddamned mind?!” she hissed, breathing hard.

    “Tara, I’m sorry...I couldn’t help myself!”

    “I’m sure you couldn’t! But get the hell out anyway!”

    “Tara...”

    “Go!” Tara now pointed, whipping open the front door and pointing her finger towards his truck out in the drive.

    “Goodbye, Tara.” Alcide said calmly and left. Tara slammed the door behind him and leaned against it.  What was this world coming to? Why did he do that?

    Tara suddenly realized that she didn’t believe that Alcide Herveaux suddenly ‘couldn’t help himself’ when it came to her. Her mind went back to how her aunt had suddenly disappeared on the Edgington estate. Even LaFayette and Jesus ensured that she’d be left alone with Alcide.

    And she seemed to remember him eyeing SOOKIE when he worked on the house, not her. What was up with him now?

    No. Everything wasn’t a big conspiracy. She was reading too much into all of this. Tara turned and peeked out of a window near the door. Alcide drove off and she stared after him for a moment, before dropping the curtain. Tara didn’t know what that was all about, but another man putting his lips on hers, was the last thing she needed right now.

    Meanwhile, Alcide licked the taste of Tara’s lips off of his, reluctantly.He wished that had gone a little better, but since he planned to be with her tomorrow night, he had to know if she would be receptive to his advances.

    Then answer to that at this point, was no. And now Alcide was doubting whether Debbie’s seducing Sam, would be enough motivation to get Tara to sleep with him, even on the rebound. Maybe he should wait until the next full moon?

    But again, Eric Northman’s jeering words haunted him. Hell no! Tomorrow night was the night. Plus, Ruby Jean didn’t know when this apocolypse would take place. If it took place in the next few months, Tara and himself would be dead, and there would be nothing of their heritage left behind in this world.

    No, the sooner the better. And Alcide came up with a very unfortunate back up plan at that moment, if Tara was not willing tomorrow night.

                                                           ****

    Sam Merlotte called Debbie Pelt into his office, asking Arlene to cover her tables while they were gone. Debbie sat down in a chair next to his desk, while Sam sat behind his.

    “Debbie, I’m just going to come out and say it: I know that you had sex with my brother Tommy last night. You both work here and I just don’t think it’s a good idea.”

    Debbie, folded her long legs, making sure Sam got a good look at them.

    “Word is that Tara and you live together and she works here. I didn’t think it would be a problem.”

    “Are you planning on moving in with Tommy, who lives with me, by the way. Or is he going to be living with you? Tara and I are in a relationship. That’s different.” Sam schooled her.

    “And Tommy and I may become a couple soon.”

    Sam gave her a knowing look.

    “Really? Debbie, come on! Look, you seem like a nice girl. I just don’t want to see you headed for trouble. Any my brother is trouble, believe me.”

    Debbie couldn’t help but smile at Sam. That was nice. Nice that he was looking out for her this way. It seemed a shame to hurt him the way Alcide wanted it done.

    “You’re right, Sam. It’s just that...uh...well...Tommy and I kind of fell into bed after he drugged me with some V. I’m kind of a recovering addict so the effect wasn’t too good.” she sniffed, then allowed a tear to slip from one of her eyes.

    Sam slowly stood up.

    “My brother DRUGGED you?! You didn’t know what you were doing when you slept with him then! Holy shit! Why did you just tell me you liked him then?”

    Debbie now stood up.

    “Because I was ashamed, Sam! No woman wants to admit that they let some guy pull one over on them. Look, I need to get back to my tables. Can we just forget this?”

    Sam threw up his hands and nodded. Debbie thanked him, walked over to his office door, opened it and ran right into Sookie Stackhouse. Sookie frowned. She had met Debbie once when Alcide was working on her house and the woman had been snide, assuming that she and Alcide were an item. What the hell was this bitch doing here at Merlotte’s?

    “Hey, Sookie! Girl, how are you?” Debbie asked in a fake voice.

    Sookie said nothing but looked her up and down.

    “Why are you in a uniform?”

    “I work here now.”

    Sookie shoved past her, walked into Sam’s office and slammed the door in her face! Debbie smirked. Sookie was going to whine to Sam all about her, not that it mattered. After tomorrow night, she wouldn’t be working her anymore anyway. And she and Coot would have all the V their heart desired.