Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Thanks again you guys for all the reviews. I'm glad you're liking it. Here's a little sumthin sumthin for you...




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

We go into the bullpen and people ran up to me, asking all kinds of questions. Before I could be smothered from all the attention, Betty Morgan came up and pulled me out of the throng of people.

"Give the girl some air. If she wants to talk, she can come to you."

I went to her desk to sit down. "So what's going on honey? They're not considering you a suspect, are they?"

"I don't think so. I just had to give my statement."

She patted my hand. "Are you okay? If you need something, or just an ear to listen, I'm here okay?"  Betty then noticed Chris standing nearby. "Well, it looks like you have someone waiting for you." She said with a smile. "I'll talk to you later."

I grabbed the rest of my stuff and finalized my plans with Chris. After what seemed like the longest day ever, I finally got home where Theresa was waiting for me outside.

"So were you going to call me back or what? How are you, after finding a dead body and all?"

I headed up the stairs with her behind me. "Now I'm up to two. My new editor was apparently poisoned this morning. I'm having one helluva week." I got up to my door and realized it was ajar. I stopped abruptly and Theresa bumped into my back.

"Heifer, you could have warned-SHHH." I interjected.

"My door is open." I whispered as I pulled out my pepper spray. Theresa pulled her stiletto off for a weapon. Times like this, I wish I had my gun. I started inside.

"Wait! Don't touch the door, they may have left fingerprints." Theresa whispered loudly.

"Good point." I nudged the door with my elbow and slowly walked inside. My whole apartment was trashed. Slashes in my couch, papers strewn everywhere, even the kitty litter was flipped over on the floor. Oh shit, Chubbs!
"Chubby? Chubbs?" I whispered loudly. He didn't meow, which means....

Before I could get worked up about what could have happened, I felt warm fur on my ankle. I snatched him up.

"Come on Maxie, we have to call the police." She and I ran out with Chubbs in tow. I sat down in the hall while she went to call. While she was gone, I called Chris.

"Hey, are you ready? It's a bit early, but I can come and get you."

"Someone broke into my apartment."

"I'm on my way over." I hung up and waited with Theresa. The police came about 15 minutes later. Detective O'Connell walked up to where we were sitting in the hallway.

"Maxine, are you alright?" I nodded and he continued to ask me questions. Theresa saw Chris walking up so she went to intercept him.

"Chris Martinez, even though these are unpleasant circumstances, how are you?" She asked as he gave her a hug.

"I've been good and I hear you have too."

"I guess. I'm glad you're here. I know Max is." She turned toward where I was sitting as Det. O'Connell walked to them.

"Miss Lee, I think my guys have cleared the apartment. Maxine wanted to know if you could grab some things for her." She walked off toward the apartment. I watched the two men standing there talking. Usually I would be completely nosy, but I could care less right now. O'Connell pointed to me and Chris walked to where I was.

"Hey you." I said as he sat down and put his arm around me. I just glanced up at him.

"What are you going to do?"

"I don't know."

"Can you stay with your mom or Theresa?" I leaned against him.

"My mom is out of town and Theresa can't have pets in her place. I can get a hotel or something."

"Then you can stay at my house, if you want. I have extra space and my building doesn't mind pets."

"I don't want to be a burden."

He planted a kiss on my temple. "You're not. I want to make sure you're alright." Then he whispered, "Besides, I can't seduce you at Theresa's." I laughed and he laughed too, although I think (or hope) he was serious. Theresa walked up.

"Break it up kids; we're in public. Anyway, here are some clothes and the few things I could find for Chubbs." We stood and I put Chubbs in his kennel. Chris took my bag and headed downstairs. I spoke to Detective O'Connell once more and we walked outside.

"So you're okay? Where are you staying?"

"I'm going to stay at Chris' apartment until I can find a hotel or something." Theresa broke out a huge grin. "What? What did you do Lee?"

"Nothing, I just packed up a lil' something nice in case this particular scenario happened. But you call me as soon as you're there."

I reassured Theresa and made her promise not to call my mother before I did. Then I hopped into my truck and followed Chris to his place. We pulled up to a three flat about 20 minutes away from my apartment. When we got inside, I was surprised at how big the apartment was.

"How did you swing this place? It's huge."

"My boy's mother owns the building. She needed a tenant and I was more than happy to oblige."

I placed the kennel down and let Chubbs out. He found a corner and went to sleep and I went into his bathroom to change. I am so done with all this. As much as I want to find out who did this, I just want it to be over. As I changed, I could smell something wonderful coming from his kitchen. I walked out to find him standing over the stove.

"What is that?"

"Just some leftovers from dinner at my landlady's house. You know how mothers are, even if there not yours." He turned to me and was taking in what I had on; shorts and a tank top. I walked over to him as he continued watching me.

"Do you need help with anything?"

"What? No, you can just relax. I got this."

"Well, I'm scared of you."

He leaned over and whispered, "You should be." I shoved him playfully and went to the front room. We ate and watched movies. Chubbs came and laid out in front of the couch and went back to sleep.

"My attack cat. So I guess it's just me and you." I said as Chris pulled me closer to him.

"Maxie, are you sure you're alright? Do you want to talk about what happened?" I sat up to look at him and thought about what he asked. Do I want to talk about it? Do I really want to talk period?

"No talking. I honestly don't even want to think."

"So what do you want-" I reached over and kissed him before he could finish. Once I let him go to catch his breath, he blurted out, "Talking is completely out of the question." I nodded and he kissed me again.

 

How did I end up partially naked on his couch so quickly? Because this man is very good at what he does. We started in his living room, worked our way down the hall (when I realized he was strong enough to lift me the way he did) and ended up in his bed. When we stopped watching movies, it was about 8. By the time I was able to lift my head off his pillow, it was 2:45 in the morning. Chris was lying next to me with his forearm covering his eyes, slowly coming down from the usage of my voracious and impressive oral skills.

"I thought you had to see a band tonight?" I asked. He uncovered his eyes to look at me. "I guess the band can wait?"

"After what you just did, yeah." I turned and he pulled me closer. "But they're playing tomorrow night too. I just wanted to make sure you were taken care of." I looked at him incredulously. "That's not what I meant. But damn if it wasn't good."

I laughed, "You're right." We lay silently. "Can I tell you something?"

"Yeah."

"I kind of had this planned from the moment you walked up to me on Monday, just not so soon."  I paused. "Does that make me a hoe?"
I could tell he was falling asleep. "No, it just makes you determined. I've always liked that about you."











Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.