Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This is a response to the "Love is Blind" Challenge





Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Jazz looked at her reflection in the mirror and straightened the wig that she had chosen to wear that day. Today’s hair reached her shoulders. It was a straight wig, black in color and the ends cured inward.

Jazz had more wigs than she had clothes. She kept them in the spare bedroom of her home that she had made into a closet. She had over a hundred wigs all colors and lengths. She had stopped counting them long ago. Whenever she saw one, whenever something in the beauty supply store caught her eye, she bought it without hesitation.

People on her job joked about it. They never knew what she would look like from day to day. They thought that she was just some sort of obsessive diva. Few people knew what was really going on. She had a rare genetic condition called alopecia universalis. She was born without any body hair and there was no cure, so wigs had been her friends since childhood. She did have eyelashes, and she was grateful for that, but she possessed no other body hair, not even eyebrows. She painted those on.

She had been called a freak all her life, had been asked if she had cancer and was dying when she was a child. She had been taunted unmercifully when she was younger, whispered about in high school and ignored in college. She hadn’t understood, and her mother had tried to explain it the best she could. Jazz accepted the fact that she was just different from other girls.

Still, she had used the taunts and teases for fuel as she had made up her mind in high school that she would overcome her disability and become a success. She loved numbers and had decided to become an accountant when she was ten years old. Now at twenty six she was the manager at Richmond’s Department of Public Utilities, the youngest ever to hold that position. She ran a tight ship and had the respect of everyone in the department.

The one thing that she was missing in her life was romance. All through high school and college she had only been on a few dates. It would start off fine, but pretty soon the guy would start asking questions. Why don’t you let your eyebrows grow? Do you always wear wigs? What does your real hair look like?

Dating had become too much of a pain for Jazz. Men were either freaked out when she told them of her condition, or wanted to get her in bed to see what a truly hairless coochie looked like. She had dismissed them without a second thought. Still, she felt that someone was out there for her and she knew that she just had to be patient. In the meantime, she would work hard, save some money and pay off her house in fifteen years.

Jazz arrived at work early. It was the first of the month and many seniors would come in today to pay their utility bills. She couldn’t afford to have anyone calling in so she checked her voicemail immediately after sitting down at her desk.

“Good morning Miss Valentine” Cindy Heart said sticking her head in the door.

“Morning, Cindy” Jazz said looking up from her paperwork. “I hope everyone is ready for a busy day.”

“I think so” Cindy replied.

“Good” Jazz said looking back at her paperwork. The office gossip talked about she and Cindy and made a joke about Cindy being named Heart and Jazz’ name being Valentine calling them the Love Sisters.

Cindy shut the door and Jazz sipped her coffee. Cindy was her team lead and a good worker. She liked that. Several of the employees grumbled when Jazz promoted the perky blond, but she could care less. Cindy worked hard and was more responsible than some of the others who had worked for the city twenty years! There were several that she wished would just retire and put her out of her misery.

Jazz checked her watch and saw that it was almost 8 AM. She got up and walked out on the floor. Everyone was at their stations and she looked at Cindy who nodded at her.

“How’s the other half of the ‘Love Sister’ team going?” Edwards from the City Tax Department teased.

Jazz rolled her eyes and snickered. “I’m just fine.”

She then turned to her team who were sitting at their stations waiting for security to open the doors. Jazz could see people waiting outside for the office to open.

“Good morning everyone” Jazz said smiling at them. “I hope you all are ready for the first of the month traffic.”

“Good morning” several of them said in unison.

“Oh we’re ready.” Cindy replied. “Today should speed by. It’ll be lunch time before we know it.”

Jazz noticed Mary Fletcher rolling her eyes and stared straight at her.

“Yes, well we’ll see, won’t we?” Mary replied dryly.

Mary Fletcher had been with the city thirty five years and Jazz knew that she felt a little salty about having Cindy as team lead and her as the manger since both of them were both young enough to be her children. She wanted to be the one to tell her how things should be done. Well, it wasn’t 1975 anymore and things had changed. Mary Fletcher often questioned Jazz decisions and had even gone over her head a time or two, but Jazz had been the bigger person. The old bitty needed to retire and soon!

People swarmed the windows immediately when the doors were opened, and Jazz returned to her office to finish some paperwork. Her eyes locked with Cindy’s and she knew that Cindy would alert her if there were any problems.

((***))

Derrick Carrington walked into the Department of Public Utilities and let out a groan. The place was overrun with people. The line to pay the gas and water bill was long, even though he could see that it was moving at a steady pace.

He tried to ignore the pain in his mouth as he had just received his final tooth implants. He didn’t want to take any pain meds until he was able to go home. He had groaned when he remembered that he had to pay his mother’s utility bill. He had forgotten that it was due on the same day that he received his implants and now he was going to have to wait in this long ass line!

He got in line and hoped that he wouldn’t have to wait that long. There was a red flashing sign hanging from the ceiling that stated that the average waiting period was fifteen minutes. He hoped that was true. After standing in line ten minutes, he saw that the time of fifteen minutes had changed on the sign to twenty and he tried not to become irritated. He was about halfway to the front of the line now and he had to admit that it appeared that everyone was working as quickly and efficiently as they could so he didn’t complain. The problem was that his mouth was killing him and he wanted to go and lie down.

Derrick rubbed his aching jaw. He was glad that this was the final trip to his dentist…at least for a while. He had been born with only half of his permanent teeth. His mouth had been a mess of spaces and a mixture of small baby teeth and a few permanent ones once he reached his teen years. When he was in school, everyone called him ‘Jack’ which was short for Jack O Lantern because his mouth was so messed up. The nick name had stuck to this day, and he still cringed when he ran into old classmates who still called him ‘Jack’.

His parents could not afford the dental work he had needed, and he suffered with the condition all through high school and college. He was constantly ridiculed and called “Jack” and “Jaws” from the James Bond movie. Derrick rarely smiled and he covered his mouth at times when he spoke. Still, people would notice his teeth and question him about it. Women were totally turned off by his mouth, and he had stopped trying to talk to them long ago. He never got a date and getting a kiss was just a pipe dream.

Derrick had decided to become a chef so that he wouldn’t have to face the public that much. He loved cooking and he loved creating new dishes for people to try. At thirty, he was now the Sous Chef at the Jefferson Hotel and he loved his job.

His teeth had always been his albatross, and he had worked hard and saved the money to get the expensive dental work done that he needed. He had concentrated on little else outside of his dental needs and cooking in the last five years. Now that the basic work had been done and he looked relatively normal, he hoped that he could gain some confidence and be able to ask a woman out. But where would he even begin?

The line was moving along and there were only three people in front of him. He looked at his watch and determined that he should be out of there within the next thirty minutes. He shook his head wondering why Richmond was still in the dark ages. He had wanted to pay the bill online, but because they had another company handling their online payments, his mother’s bill would not be shown paid for almost another week which meant that there was a good chance that her water would be cut off. The only way to guarantee that wouldn’t happen was to pay the bill in person. He looked around and determined that a lot of people most likely were dealing with the same problem.

Just then he noticed a tall woman with shoulder length hair come out of the back office and say something to one of the tellers at the window, a petite blonde. The blonde nodded and then the lovely brown beauty came out of the cage with some papers in her hand.

Derrick inhaled as his eyes roamed over her. She had on a purple suit with a multicolored blouse. She stopped and spoke to someone handing them the paper in her hand. He noticed her hips, which were full and round. Her waist was ridiculously tiny making those hips of hers look even more round and delicious. Her breasts were full and Derrick felt his mouth watering at the sight of her. She was absolutely beautiful. She was laughing now showing perfectly straight teeth. Derrick always found himself looking at women’s teeth…

“Sir, may I help you?”

His attention was drawn back to the front and he realized that he was next in line. The older woman was looking at him curiously and he tried not to blush at being caught in the act of staring.

Derrick walked up to the window and quickly slipped his mother’s bill under the glass. He glanced back around and saw that the tall beauty had disappeared.

“Do you know Ms. Valentine?” the older woman asked looking at him over her glasses.

“Uh…who?” Derrick stammered.

“Miss Valentine. The woman you were staring at.” The older woman replied mockingly.

Derrick decided instantly that he didn’t like this old biddy.

“She reminds me of someone I went to school with” he lied. “Since you stated that her name is Valentine, I know that I must have been mistaken.”

The woman looked at him over her glasses again, but didn’t reply. She quickly completed the transaction and handed him his receipt.

Derrick headed for the door, but not before he looked around again for the lovely Miss Valentine. There was no trace of her. He walked out of the building and blinked from the bright sunlight. He rubbed his jaw again which had begun to throb even more. He just wanted to return to is apartment and lie down.

Just then he spotted the elusive Ms. Valentine heading in his direction with a brown bag in her hand. Apparently she had gone to get some lunch. He stood on the corner watching her wondering if there was some way to approach her without her thinking that he was some sort of pervert. He wasn’t a smooth talker and he didn’t have any macking lines to lay on her. Besides, most likely she was in a hurry to return to work. Besides that, his mouth was killing him.

He watched as she hurried across the street heading in his direction. Derrick decided that just maybe he would stand there and watch her until she walked into the building. Without warning Derrick noticed a man on a bike quickly sped around the corner just as she was about to reach the curb, startling her. It was clear that the man should have yielded to pedestrians, but kept going.

Derrick watched as Miss Valentine tumbled forward hitting the sidewalk, her purse and the brown bag flying from her hand as she attempted to break her fall. He was shocked when he realized that she was wearing a wig as it also came off revealing that she was completely bald.

He hurried over to her as well as several other people to see if she was alright. He quickly grabbed her purse before someone ran off with it and helped her up.

“Are you alright, Miss Valentine?” he asked concerned.

She looked at him and quickly felt her head and realized that her wig was missing. She looked around, obviously embarrassed. Derrick turned around and saw another man pick it up from the sidewalk and handed it to her.

“Thank you” she said not meeting either of their eyes and quickly stuck the wig back on her head.

She looked at Derrick and he noticed that her wig was slightly crooked, but he didn’t say anything. Her knee was bleeding and her hose was torn. She was shaking a little, clearly shaken up by what had just happened.

“Let me help you back to your office” Derrick said holding her by the arm.

“No. I’m fine” she said slipping back into her pump that had come off when she fell.

Derrick continued to hold her as she appeared a bit unsteady on her feet.

“You can let me go now. I think I’m alright” she said straightening her clothes and avoiding his gaze. She then snatched her arm from his and quickly picked up her lunch bag and hurried back into the building.

Derrick stood there watching her retreating back and it was several minutes before he realized that he still had her purse on his arm.

((***))

Jazz couldn’t believe what had just happened! She should have known that going to Five Guys Burgers and Fries was a big mistake, but her mouth had been watering all day for a big juicy hamburger.

She hadn’t seen the guy coming from around the corner on the bike at breakneck speed causing her to tumble forward. Where were the cops when you needed them? She had been totally humiliated when her wig came off. At least everyone around her had been strangers and no one she knew had seen the debacle. Then again, hadn’t that man called her ‘Miss Valentine’? How did he know her, because she certainly didn’t know him!

The man was tall and lanky with the greenest eyes she had ever seen. She knew that she had been a bit rude, but she didn’t want him or any of the other spectators questioning her about her baldness. People could be so rude sometimes!

She hurried into the bathroom when she entered the building and looked at her reflection in the mirror and immediately realized that her wig was crooked. At that point she realized that she didn’t have her purse! She must have left it out on the sidewalk! Damn! She was going to have to call the cops and all of her credit card companies. Too upset to eat, she quickly threw her lunch in the trash.

Jazz then straightened her wig and ran her fingers through it since she didn’t have a comb. She took off the torn hose and washed the dirt off of her knee. She hurried out of the bathroom to the front desk to see if perhaps some good Samaritan has picked up her purse and turn it in. She was shocked to find the handsome gentleman who had helped her earlier standing on the floor with his purse on his arm.

“I thought you’d miss it soon enough.” He said holding it out to her.

“Thank you again” she said gratefully taking her purse. She eyed him. “How did you know my name?”

“I’ll tell you if you agree to join me for dinner” Derrick said smiling.

Jazz hesitated. Was he serious? Why would this gorgeous hunk of white chocolate want to take her out?

“I don’t know…” she said “I don’t even know your name…Mr….”

“Derrick. Derrick Carrington” he said grinning. “I think you owe me since I’ve rescued you and your purse.”

Jazz looked at her watch. “I’ve got to get back to work. It’s the first of the month, you know.”

“Fine.” Derrick replied. “What time do you get off?”

“Why don’t we just meet somewhere?” Jazz replied looking around. “How about TGIFriday’s on Broad at seven?”

“I’ll be there.” Derrick agreed.

((***))

Jazz mentally kicked herself for agreeing to meet some strange man for dinner. She decided that she must have still been a bit shaken up from the fall to have agreed to this madness in the first place! Still, he was handsome and he had saved her and her purse. He couldn’t be all bad.

She was glad that it appeared that none of her co workers were aware of what had happened. She didn’t need Mary and the rest of those cackling hens talking about her. This Derrick Carrington knew that she didn’t have any hair, and she figured that he’d ask her a lot of questions, get the answers and then she would never have to see him again. She smirked to herself. At least she would get dinner out of it. She hadn’t been on a date in five years!

She looked at her wigs and decided to really shock him and send him running by picking Miss Red, a wig that was auburn and curly. She wore a green dress to compliment Miss Red that her mother had given her for her birthday. The dress was loose fitting and flared at the hips. No matter how much she exercised, she couldn’t seem to get those hips down past size fourteen.

Jazz arrived at the restaurant exactly at seven and walked in. She spotted Derrick Carrington at a table and walked over to him.

“Hi” she said as he stood up.

“Hi yourself” he said. “You look beautiful, Miss Valentine”

Jazz smiled even though she didn’t believe a word he said. After all, he had seen her bare head. She felt that she was hardly beautiful.

“How’s your knee?” he asked as his eyes roamed over her.

“I’ll live. She replied, quickly sitting and sipping her water.

She thought that he was even more handsome than she remembered from earlier that afternoon. What game was he playing? Why did he want to have dinner with her of all people?

“I want to thank you again for helping me.” She said looking at the menu.

“Thank you for accepting my invitation.” He replied chuckling. “I guess since you’re here, I did do that right.”

Jazz raised a painted eyebrow. “Did do what right?”

“Asking a beautiful woman out on a date.” He smirked.

“Don’t act like you don’t date.” She replied dryly. “I know a player when I see one.”

“A player?” Derrick said surprised. “Hardly. You’re the first girl I’ve asked out in years.”

Jazz laughed in disbelief. “Yeah, right. So where have you been hiding? Under a rock?”

Derrick looked up from his menu. “All of us aren’t as perfect as we try appear to the world. The world sees our obvious imperfections instead of waiting to learn about the hidden assets we possess. You of all people should know that.”

Jazz stared at him a moment. What was he talking about? He appeared to be a perfect specimen of manhood. His deep green eyes locked with hers and she felt her heart skip a beat. There was absolutely nothing wrong with this man. As for herself, she knew that he’d go there sooner or later. The questions would start coming any minute!

“I know you’ve seen mine. I’m as bald as an eagle,” she replied coolly. “So what about you? Are you an ax murderer or something? What could possibly be wrong with you? What do you do for a living?”

“I’m a chef.” Derrick replied. “By the way, what is your first name? Must I call you Miss Valentine all night?”

“It’s Jazz” she replied.

“Jazz? Are you saying your name is Jasmine?”

“No, just Jazz. My mother liked the music and she said I was her smooth and silky baby so she named me Jazz.” She replied.

The waiter came over and took their order and Jazz waited for the barrage of questions.

“Jazz…” he said softly. “I assume your mother named you that because of your alopecia condition?”

He chuckled at Jazz shocked expression. “I Googled it on my computer.”

“I’m surprised you didn’t come to the conclusion that I have cancer or something like everybody else has.” Jazz replied.

“You look too healthy and fit to be recovering from chemo. I dismissed that notion when I first saw you.” He replied. “My mother had chemo so I know what a person looks like that has cancer.”

“How is your mother?” Jazz asked concerned.

“She’s in remission” Derrick replied. “She’s doing well. Thanks for asking.”

Their dinner arrived and Jazz was surprised that he didn’t ask her a bunch of dumb questions. The evening really was a pleasant one and she still couldn’t believe that she was out on an actual date. While they were eating dessert Derrick reached across the table, surprising her by picking up her phone.

“May I give you my number?” he asked. “I want to see you again.”

“Why?” she asked “Why would you go out with me when you could go out with anybody?”

“Have you looked in the mirror lately?” he asked. “Because you’re a beautiful woman and I want to get to know you better.”

Jazz stared at him and didn’t reply. She wanted to believe him, but she wasn’t sure and wondered what he was really up to.

“I..I don’t know” she said finally, looking away. “I don’t know anything about you and I can’t figure out why you’d want to see me again after finding out that I’m a hairless woman. Why do you want to go out with me when you can go out with perfectly normal women?”

She sipped her water and waited for him to answer. Derrick stared at her a moment as if debating on what to say. Jazz looked at her watch and decided to call it a night.

“You know, my name is Derrick but for years everyone called me ‘Jack’” Derrick said breaking the silence.

“You see, I was born without over half of my permanent teeth. Can you imagine having every other tooth being a baby tooth? I had one baby tooth in the front and one permanent tooth. My mouth was a mess, therefore I earned the name Jack O Lantern, Jack for short. I know what it’s like to be different, Jazz.”

Jazz stared at him surprised by his confession. This gorgeous man was called Jack O Lantern? Unbelievable!

“Your teeth look perfect now.” She observed.

“Well it cost thousands of dollars to get this mouth” he replied finishing off his cheesecake. “It took years for me to save the money and I had to deal with all the barbs and comments in the meantime.” He looked at her.

“So you haven’t dated?” she inquired.

“Who would date a Jack O Lantern?” he chuckled. “I got my final implants today.”

“Is that why you asked me out?” Jazz said smiling.

“Well I did gain a little confidence with my new look.” He confessed. He reached across the table and took her hand. “We all do what we have to do to look our best. However it takes a certain kind of person to see beyond all our imperfections to find the hidden assets.”

Jazz looked away. She had never met a man like Derrick Carrington before. He understood a lot of what she had gone through, because he had gone through the very same thing.

“I want to see you again, Jazz.” He said quietly. “ I want a woman who isn’t superficial. Of course I can get dates now all the time. No one wanted me when I was Jack O Lantern. Who knows, maybe you would have given me a chance with my crooked teeth because you know how it feels to be stared at and ridiculed. I want to see you again. What do you say?”

“I haven’t dated in a long time.” She replied quietly.

“There’s no time like the present.” He insisted.

“I guess” she agreed.

He quickly paid the bill and then walked her to her car. He was holding her hand and Jazz didn’t even remember him grabbing it.

“Well goodnight Derrick” she said opening the car door. “Where are you parked?”

He pointed to a black Avalon not far from hers.

“Care to give a guy with new teeth his first kiss?” he asked quietly.

Jazz was surprised. Was he kidding her? She couldn’t believe that this handsome hunk had never been kissed. But then again, if his mouth had looked like he had said, she could understand why that would be.

She smiled up at him and he gently pressed his lips against hers as he pulled her closer to him. Jazz was immediately caught up in the sensations that were being generated by that kiss. She didn’t want it to end just yet and eagerly sought his tongue with hers. She heard him groan in his throat and his tongue quickly met hers. She pulled his bottom lip between hers, sucking it before finally breaking the kiss.

“Wow, you’re quite a kisser.” He exclaimed without thinking.

“You’re not bad yourself for a first timer” she teased.

“Can a guy get seconds?” he asked hopefully.

“Let’s save something for the next date” Jazz said stepping back and opening the car door.

She looked in her rear view mirror as she pulled off and saw him walking to his car. Kissing Derrick Carrington was a better experience than she had imagined and she wondered what other hidden assets he possessed.

















Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.