Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Vanessa visits Henry's hometown and Henry agrees to face Vanessa's grandmother and uncle.





Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Vanessa’s Visit

 

 

Henry McDermont smiled as he watched Vanessa walk out of the train station and look around. She spotted him and waved, hurrying over to where he was standing.  He couldn’t believe that she had agreed to come to Maine.  She wore her hair loose today and he had to admit that he liked it like that.  She had on a beige pair of slacks and a multicolored tan and red top that clung to her curves.  Henry tried not to stare.

 

“Hey”  he said walking up to her.

 

“Hey yourself.”  She said smiling at Henry.  “I’m here.”

 

“Yeah” he said nodding his head. “I’m glad.”

 

Since his relationship with Henny had been going so well, Henry  had asked Vanessa if she would come to Maine to visit Minnie, the nurse who had been such an influence in his life.  He was ready to move forward with their relationship.

 

He knew that she was not ready to face his parents, and he didn’t really care if she met them or not.  He couldn’t believe it when she called him and told him that she would come and visit him whenever he wanted because Henny had told her that the relationship between the two of them had improved greatly.

 

He took her bags and led her to his Avalon that was parked near the exit.  After putting her things in the car, he told her that he was going to take her to his family home so that she could freshen up before they went to Minnie’s.  Vanessa gasped as they drove up the long driveway to the large white house that sat on a perfectly manicured estate. 

 

“It’s beautiful” Vanessa observed not believing the size of the house and the grounds.  She got out of the car looking around. She could see a gazebo and a pond with ducks.

 

“Thank you” Henry said leading her to the house.  “I’ll take you on a tour of the grounds a little later.”  He opened the door and quickly entered the code for the alarm.

 

Vanessa thought that the house looked like something out of the movies.  It was huge with a winding staircase and a crystal chandelier in the foyer.  Henry led her upstairs to the bedroom that he had prepared for her to stay.  Vanessa felt as if she had stepped back in time.  The mahogany poster bed with the white chenille bedspread reminded her of her grandmother.  The bed sat up high and even had a matching mahogany step stool beside it.

 

“Whose room was this?”  Valerie asked setting down her suitcase and looking around..

 

“It was used as a guest room” Henry replied.  “We didn’t have that much company when I was growing up though.  I don’t think that many people ever stayed here.”

 

“Show me your room” Vanessa said walking towards the door.  She was excited about being with Henry, and a little apprehensive also.

 

Her heart was beating fast as he led her down the hall.  Henry had on a pale yellow polo shirt and black slacks.  The clothes fit his body nicely and she noticed that he had put on a little weight and was more muscular than she remembered.  She noticed streaks of gray in his hair and a few laugh lines around his eyes, but he was still her Henry, sexy as ever.

 

He opened the door to his room and they walked in.  It was neat and hardly looked lived in and she told him as much.  She didn’t see any personal items in the room, though there were some toys and things from his childhood.  She walked around the room and then turned to him.

 

“This room doesn’t look lived in either” she exclaimed.

 

“I don’t stay here that often anymore.” Henry confessed.  “Most of the time the house is shut up and I stay in my small apartment not too far from here.  It’s too much house for just one person.”

 

He took her around the house and Vanessa lost count of the number of rooms and she felt that she would get lost if Henry wasn’t by her side.  Finally he led her back to her room and squeezed her hand.

 

“I’ll let you get cleaned up and then we’ll go and visit Minnie” he said.

 

Vanessa looked out the window.  She wasn’t really nervous about meeting Minnie.  She was anxious about being here in Henry’s house…alone with Henry.  She didn’t want him to think that she was some sort of hussy and she could almost hear her grandmother’s voice in her head, but she knew without a shadow of a doubt that she wanted him again.

 

“What’s wrong Vanessa” Henry asked concerned.  “You’re not worried about meeting Minnie, are you.? You seem might quiet.”

 

Vanessa realized that she had sent Henry from her home on New Years day in hopes that she could sort out her feelings and try to figure out the reason she had melted in his arms the moment he had touched her.  She couldn’t figure out how her feelings and passions for him could still be so strong after all these years.  That had been January, and it was now April, and Easter was just a few days away.  It had been three months and nothing had changed, as soon as she was physically in his presence, all the old feelings seemed to flood her very being!

 

“I’m fine, Henry”  she said smiling, not meeting his intense gaze.

 

“Something’s on your mind” he said putting his arm around her, and she inhaled his scent.  She leaned into his arms and could hear his heart beating fast.  She looked up at him, his thin pink lips beckoning her.

 

“Yeah, it is” she replied pulling away from him.  “And I think I’d better shower and change before I lose control of myself.”  She looked at him.  “I’ll meet you at the bottom of the stairs in an hour.”

 

Henry stared at her a moment, taking in what she had just said.  His eyes ran over her as she stood in front of him.  He could feel the strong attraction between them that had always been there.  He knew that she wanted him, and he wanted her also.

 

“I want you in my bed, Vanessa.  That’s where you belong” he confessed.

 

“Then why did you bring me to this room?”  she asked eying him.

 

“I was trying to be considerate” he replied.  “I didn’t want to appear presumptuous. I want more than sex though.  I want you to be my wife.  I have told you this from the beginning, but I don’t want to rush you.”

 

“As long as you don’t touch me, I’ll be fine” she confessed. “It seems that when I’m around you, all reason goes out the window.”

 

“And if I do touch you, then what?”  he asked raising an eyebrow.

 

“Then all bets are off” Vanessa said looking away. “I won’t be responsible for what might happen between us.”

 

Henry stared at her a moment longer and then turned and opened the door.  “Minnie is expecting us for lunch.  I’ll see you at the bottom of the stairs in forty five minutes.”

 

Vanessa nodded and watched as he walked out of the door. What was wrong with her?  Why was it that whenever she was around Henry all of the old feelings she had for him seemed to rob her of her reason.  She thought about her mother and shook her head.  She didn’t want to become obsessed with Henry like her mother was with her father, but maybe it was already too late.

 

She quickly showered and changed into a turquoise blouse and black slacks.  She checked herself in the mirror.  She had permed and curled her hair before she came and she wore it loosely around her shoulders.  She grimaced at the sight of the gray strands and decided that she would go to the salon and have it colored when she returned.  There wasn’t that much gray, but still she wanted to look her best.  Why was that?  She hadn’t cared about her looks that much before.  She knew the answer.  Henry!

 

She came downstairs and found him waiting for her. Henry licked his lips as his eyes roamed over her and took her hand in his.

 

“You look nice” he observed, smiling at her.

 

“Thank you” she replied as he raised her hand to his lips and kissed it.  She felt the heat run through her body at his touch.  His chocolate brown eyes roamed over her and she knew that if they didn’t leave immediately, that they would end up back upstairs.

 

“Let’s go” she said clearing her throat.

 

He led her to the car and no words were exchanged on the short ride to Minnie’s house.  Vanessa knew that she had to make some major decisions before she returned to Petersburg with Henry.  She glanced over at him.  He was still as handsome as ever.  He was everything a girl could want in a man, and she knew that if she told him her suspicions, he’d never let her out of his sight. 

 

Henry parked and came around the side and opened the door for her, and she quickly got out. Vanessa held her breath as he knocked on the door and an older gray haired woman opened the door and quickly grabbed Henry’s arm.

 

“Henry!”  she said smiling broadly.  She looked at Vanessa.  “Hello.”

 

“Hi” Vanessa replied returning her smile.

 

“Well come on in here.  This has been a long time coming” Minnie declared leading them to the  kitchen.   Vanessa noticed that she walked stiffly as if her leg was bothering her.

 

“Something smells good” Henry said pulling out a chair for Vanessa. “Minnie and I spent many a happy day in her kitchen after my asthma went into remission.”

 

“Oh it’s just some Salisbury steak and gravy.”  Minnie said putting a plate in front of each of them.  “I just fixed a little something.”

 

“A little something?”  Henry chuckled.  “This is one of my all time favorites, Salisbury Steak with gravy and mashed potatoes and homemade rolls!”

 

“Well it’s not everyday that I get to see my boy, is it?”  Minnie replied grinning.  “I made some bread pudding too!”

 
Henry’s eyes got big.  “Bread pudding?  Where is it?”

 

“Hold your horses!”  Minnie snickered.  “Eat your lunch and then the bread pudding!”  

 

Minnie fixed herself a plate and then sat down.  She took both of their hands across the table and said the blessing.

 

“Now” she said looking at Vanessa.  “I finally get to meet the woman who stole my Henry’s heart.  I must say that you’re a pretty thing.  I can see why you’re so lovesick, my boy!”

 

“Well he stole mine too” Vanessa replied glancing at Henry and their eyes locked.

 

 

“I can see that.”  Minnie replied.  “I wanted to meet your daughter, but Henry says that she’s gone to Florida this week.”

 

“She went to spend some time with my father” Henry chuckled.  “Can you believe that?  Mama, of course is furious about the whole thing.  Pop wants to get to know his granddaughter and she want to get to know him.  Mama thinks that Henny is after his money!”

 

“Your mother thinks everybody wants money. Money isn’t everything.  Besides, she has you so if she wanted money, I’m sure she’d get it from you.”

 

“I’ve already put half of all I own in her name.”  Henry replied.

 

“You didn’t!”  Vanessa said shocked.  “Did you tell her that?”

 

“Nope.  Not yet” Henry replied.  “I want to wait until the right time.”

 

“Your mother will be furious!”  Vanessa said shaking her head.

 

“Well, I know that much.”  Henry chuckled.  “I think she knows that Henny will get whatever I have, I think she’s angry that my father may give her something too.”

 

“Bah!  Who cares?”  Minnie said biting into a roll.  “Your mother needs to get over herself.  She’s not running things anymore!”

 

“Mother always thinks she’s running things” Henry said.  “However, I made up my mind a long time ago to run my own life just like you told me when I left college and returned home.”  He looked at Vanessa.  “That was the worst time of my life, leaving you.  I’ll never leave you again.”

 

“So when’s the big day?”  Minnie asked looking at each of them.  “You know you’d better marry her quick before you put another baby in her belly, Henry.”

 

Henry blushed, turning deep red at her words.  Minnie could always read him. Another baby would be a dream come true, but he doubted if it would happen.  He would be happy just to have Vanessa and Henrietta in his life.

 

“I’m forty years old” Vanessa replied.  “I hadn’t planned on having any more babies.”  She tried to keep her voice level, but was barely able to pull it off.  Minnie stared at her knowingly.

 

“You didn’t plan on the first one now did you?”  Minnie cackled.  “Abstinence is the only guarantee and after twenty years, I doubt if that’s an option for you two.”

 

“Minnie, really” Henry said sipping his tea.  “I can’t believe you’re talking this way.”

 

“What way is that” Minnie asked grinning. “You two still love each other, right?”

 

“Yes” Henry said nodding.  “I want to get married, but the ball is in Vanessa’s court.”

 

“I want things to be right with Henny” Vanessa insisted.  “All of these changes have been a shock to her.  We need to tread carefully. We should get married for the right reasons, not to try to make up for the past.”

 

“My reasons are right.  I love you, Vanessa” Henry declared.

 

“Well just be sure to send me an invite” Minnie replied looking at Vanessa.  “I have a feeling that you two won’t be waiting too much longer.”

 

They finished their lunch with Minnie telling stories about Henry when he was small. She had Vanessa laughing at her tales and Henry rolled his eyes at some of Minnie’s exaggerations.

 

She then took out a photo album with pictures of Henry and Vanessa realized just how sick he had been.  His skin was pale and he was extremely thin.  One picture of him lying on the couch reminded her so much of her daughter that her breath caught in her throat.  She looked at Henry and he nodded.

 

“I know.  I look like Henny in that picture. I never thought about it before.” He said touching it. 

 

“Well you have to bring the child back the next time you come” Minnie said closing the album.  “I want to meet her before I leave this earth.”

 

Henry kissed Minnie’s cheek.  “Stop talking like that, Minnie.  You can’t leave me yet. I want you here many more years to feed me Salisbury steak.”

 

“We all got to go sometimes” Minnie replied. “I’d like to come to the wedding.  I’ve been dreaming about fishes so I know that there’s going to be another baby coming soon.”

 

Vanessa raised her eyebrow.  “That dream doesn’t mean that it’s going to be me, Minnie.  That could be anybody you know.  Usually it means a family member.”

 

“You’re right.  I don’t know who it’ll be” Minnie confessed.  “I don’t think that it’s too late for you to give Henry a son. Henry’s like a son to me, so my dream could be about Henry.”

 

Vanessa smiled but she would not meet either one of their eyes.  How could this woman know?  She glanced at Henry who was smiling at her and quickly looked away.  She didn’t need him getting suspicious before she had time to get things straight in her own head.   Everything was happening so quickly.

 

“Well, we won’t rush things, Minnie” Henry said seeing the frown on Vanessa’s face.  “Thanks for the lunch. We’ll be seeing you again real soon.”

 

Minnie kissed his cheek.  “I enjoyed your company.”  She looked at Vanessa.  “Thank you for giving my boy a second chance.  He looks happy and Henry hasn’t been happy for a long, long time.”

 

Vanessa smiled as she opened the door.  “I’m happy too, Minnie.”

 

Minnie nodded and watched as they walked to the car.  She didn’t tell them everything, but she knew from her dream that Henry was going to be a father again.  She had dreamed of Henry and then the fishes so she knew that he was the one. The look on Vanessa’s face told her that Vanessa knew more than what she had told Henry.  Could she be pregnant now and was just waiting to reveal it to Henry?  Minnie smiled to herself and shut the door, glad that her boy was getting a second chance at fatherhood and love.

 

((***))

 

Henry took Vanessa on a tour of the town of Orono and the University where he had attended when he returned to Maine. He took her to Child Fund where he worked and introduced her to his coworkers.  The afternoon seemed to fly by and Henry suggested that the two of them stop for dinner before they returned to his home.

 

Vanessa loved seafood so he took her to one of his favorites, the Sea Dog Restaurant.  It was a little noisy, but it had a wonderful view of the Penubscot River.  The place was crowded, but Henry was able to get a nice table by the window overlooking the river. 

 

Henry took Vanessa’s hand in his, rubbing his thumb across her knuckles. Vanessa shivered at his touch.  She looked at him, his eyes full of love and longing and she wondered if she should just tell him now, but she hesitated.  She knew that once the words came out of her mouth, Henry would insist on rushing to the altar.

 

“I really enjoyed today” he said sincerely.  “We belong together, Vanessa.  We’ve lost so much time already.  What do I need to do for us to be together?”

 

Vanessa looked down at her plate and didn’t respond immediately.  She was still a bit perturbed by what Minnie had said to them.  She sighed and looked up at Henry, still debating on whether to tell him or not.

 

“Henry, I don’t want you to be with me because of Henny or because you feel some sort of obligation towards me.”  She said quietly. “We should be together because we want to be together and for no other reason.”

 

Henry squeezed her hand.  “I want to be with you because I love you, Vanessa. I’ve always loved you.  You know that.” He insisted.  “Things are great between Henny and I.  I’ve worked hard to try to show her my sincerity and I ‘m glad to say it’s paying off.  I’ll be over the moon when she finally calls me ‘daddy’ instead of Henry.”

 

“It’s only been three and a half months, Henry.  I wouldn’t get my hopes up if I were you.”  Vanessa cautioned.  “I mean, I’m glad that things are going good with you and your daughter, but it’s still fragile.”

 

“We’ve made progress.”  Henry insisted.  “It was her idea to go to Sunrise to see my father.  I was floored, but apparently they’ve been talking quite a bit since we visited, and she and my father have bonded somewhat.  The two of us talk at least two or three times a week now, and she even asks my opinion about things.  I’ve told her that I love her and I know she loves me too.  I just have to give her time to trust me before she says it.”

 

“Wow” Vanessa replied shaking her head. “I can tell when I talk to her that she’s grown fond of you, but I didn’t know about your father.”

 

Henry squeezed her hand and she looked at him.  “Is there another reason why you’re so hesitant?”  he asked.

 

“I..I just want to be sure, Henry” she said looking out over the water. A part of her was still worried about how Henrietta would take the news.  Vanessa had to admit that she was a bit scared.  She didn’t want to lose her daughter’s respect.

 

“I’ve agreed to meet your family when we leave here.”  He reminded her.   “I will do whatever it takes to convince you, Henrietta and your entire family of my intentions.”

 

He stared at her a moment.  “I feel as if there’s something you’re not telling me Vanessa.  What are you afraid of?  My parents?  Me?  What?”

 

“Nothing like that, Henry” Vanessa insisted.  “Meeting Minnie was nice.  I don’t want my family to chase you away. You don’t know what you’re getting yourself into.”

 

Henry chuckled.  “They are not going to chase me away, Vanessa.  Not even that uncle of yours that you’ve told me about, so stop worrying.”

 

They finished their meal and Henry drove her back to his home.  Vanessa followed him in the house as his phone was going off and she figured after a few moments that he was talking to his mother.  She took the opportunity to go up to her room and call Henny, but her phone went immediately to voice mail.  There was a knock on the door and Henry opened it and walked in.

 

“It seems that our daughter and my father have been gone the entire day and my mother is wondering what they’re up to” Henry said grinning.  “Mother swears that Henny has hypnotized him and he’s not answering his cell, so she automatically thinks the worst.”

 

“I called her and her phone went to voicemail” Vanessa replied worried.  ‘I hope they’re alright.”

 

“I’m sure they’re fine” Henry replied.  “Mother can be dramatic at times. Knowing my father, he probably left his cell in the car while they went off somewhere.”

 

Just then Vanessa’s phone vibrated and she saw that it was Henny calling. 

 

“It’s Henny” she said answering it.

 

“Where are you Henny?”  she said looking at Henry.  “Your grandmother thinks that you’ve kidnapped her husband. She’s called your father all in a panic.”

 

Henry watched as she held the phone out to him.  “She took your father to a soul food restaurant.” Vanessa replied.  “She wants to talk to you.”

 

Henry took the phone and Vanessa kicked off her shoes and rummaged through her suitcase for something comfortable to change into.  She grabbed a pair of shorts and a tee shirt and walked into the bathroom that was next to her room.

 

When she returned, she found Henry sitting on her bed.  He had taken off his shoes and was finishing up a conversation with his mother.  He closed the phone and grinned at her.

 

“I talked to my father” Henry said as she sat on the bed beside him.  “His phone is dead.  He’s going to call Mother. I just talked to her and calmed her down.”

 

They stared at each other a minute, one waiting for the other to make the first move.  Finally Henry cleared his throat.

 

“I’ll let you rest if you’re tired.” He ventured.

 

“I’m not tired” Vanessa replied.  She wanted to tell him what was on her mind, but she wasn’t sure how to do it.

 

“What do you want to do?”  he asked moving closer to her on the bed.

 

“Don’t ask me that” Vanessa sighed.

 

“Why not.” 

 

“I may shock you” she whispered grinning at him.

 

“I doubt that” he said pulling her into his arms kissing her “Because I want to make love to you, Vanessa. I know you want the same thing.”.

 

“I can’t forget New Years” she confessed breaking the kiss. “I think about it all the time, how wonderful that night was for us.”

 

“We can go for part two of you like” Henry replied. 

 

Vanessa sat up on the bed and quickly undressed, covering herself with the blanket that was on the foot of the bed.

 

“Don’t do that” Henry said watching her as he undressed also. “I want to look at you’

“I’m fat” Vanessa said looking at her protruding stomach.

 

“You’re not fat” Henry said snatching the blanket away.  “You’re plump.”

 

“Same thing” Vanessa replied wondering if he could tell what she was withholding from him..

 

Henry didn’t argue with her and climbed on the bed beside her.  Vanessa closed her eyes as his fingers squeezed her nipples and she winced because they were sore.

 

“I’m sorry.  Are you alright?”  Henry asked concerned.

 

“My nipples are just a little tender” Vanessa replied.

 

“I’ll be gentle then” Henry said kissing them. “Don’t ever call yourself fat, Vanessa.  You’re beautiful to me.”  He took his time exploring her body with his hands and mouth and kissed her belly which was rounder than he remembered.    He then thought about birth control.

 

“I have some condoms in my room” he said.  “I’ll go and get them.”

 

“No” Vanessa said grabbing his hand.  “I haven’t been with anyone else, Henry.”

 

“I know”  he said sitting up.  “I was thinking about pregnancy.”

 

“I think it’s too late for that” Vanessa replied seriously, deciding to release the burden that had been on her mind for the last couple of months.  She watched as he looked at her confused.

 

He stared at her a moment and then looked down at her round belly.  His eyes locked with hers and then she looked away. Henry felt himself become excited.   Could it be true?  Was it possible that he and Vanessa would get a second chance in more ways than one?

 

“What do you mean, Vanessa?”  he asked anxiously,  as he held his breath hoping that he understood what she was trying to tell him..

 

Vanessa stared at him, but no words would come out of her mouth.  She took his hand and placed it on her belly and realization hit him as he looked at her and then at his hand that was covered with hers.

 

“Are you?  I mean…are we…are we going to have another baby, Vanessa” he asked.

 

“I’m late…very late.”  She confessed.  “I didn’t know how to tell you.  I haven’t told Henny and I’m afraid, Henry. Henny will be upset for sure.”  She stood up and wrapped herself in the blanket that was on the bed.

 

He jumped up and crushed her to him and Vanessa was surprised as she felt the tears from his eyes fall on her shoulder.  He pulled back and looked at her in wonder.

 

“A baby? Oh, god Vanessa.  Am I dreaming?”  he asked excitedly.

 

“You mean are you having a nightmare?”  she groaned. “I don’t know what to do, Henry!”

 

Henry kissed her again.  He was going to get a second chance! He held Vanessa tightly in his arms, grinning from ear to ear. 

 

“We’re getting married NOW”  he said firmly. “I’ll call Henny-“

 

“Wait!”  Vanessa said pulling away from him.  “I didn’t want to tell you because I knew that you would react this way!  I don’t know what I’m going to do, Henry.  I can’t marry you just because I may be pregnant. It could be stress.  I’m not even sure-“

 

“When was your last period” he asked interrupting her.

 

“It was December, but-“

“We’re having a baby, Vanessa.”  He said firmly.  “It’s April!  Why haven’t you been to the doctor?”

 

“I..I”  Vanessa stammered. “I wanted to be sure.”

 

“You can be sure by going to the doctor or taking a home pregnancy test.”  He replied. “Did you take one of those?”

 

“No” she admitted.  “I kept hoping that…you know…it would come.”

 

Henry shook his nurse.  “Vanessa, you’re a nurse!  You should know better.”

 

Vanessa walked over to the window and looked out.  She crossed her arms across her chest defiantly, pulling the blanket tightly against her.

 

“I wasn’t ready to deal with it, OK?  I wasn’t ready to tell you or Henny.”  She admitted.  “I’m forty years old, Henry!”

 

“I know how old you are” Henry said walking up to her.  He turned her around.  “It’s going to be fine.  We’ll be fine.  You’re worried about Henny, but I know she’ll be fine.”

 

Vanessa walked back over to the bed.  Things were happening much too quickly for her.  She could just imagine what her grandmother and uncle would say.

 

“This time I’ll be with you when you tell them” Henry said pulling her down on the bed beside him.  “We’re getting a second chance to get it right, Vanessa.”

 

“I guess so” she admitted. “I’m scared Henry”

 

“You’re not going to be alone this time.”  Henry declared.  “I’ll be with you every step of the way.”

 

He stood up and reached in the pocket of his pants that were on the chair and pulled out a ring.  He walked over to her still naked and Vanessa felt herself grow warm just looking at him.

 

“I was trying to figure out when I was going to give you this and ask you…no beg you to marry me.”  He admitted.  “I know that the time is right.”  He took her hand and slipped the ring on her finger.  “Marry me, Vanessa.”

 

She looked at him and then at the ring. He pulled her close to him and threw the blanket she had wrapped around her body onto the floor. He pulled her down on the bed beside him and quickly covered her body with his.

 

“I’m going to make love to you until you say yes.”  Henry murmured kissing her.

 

Vanessa closed her eyes as he caressed and kissed her. She knew that she loved Henry with all of her heart, but she wasn’t sure that her daughter would be as accepting as he thought she would be.  Vanessa prayed that everything would somehow work out, especially with Henry meeting her family the upcoming weekend.

 

“I love you Vanessa”  Henry said kissing her stomach and moving lower.  “Tell me that you love me and want to marry me, too.”

 

“I love you , Henry”  she confessed, groaning as his lips and tongue teased her sex.  She had an orgasm almost immediately and her thighs began to shake as he continued his oral assault.

 

Vanessa felt weak after her third climax and gasped as Henry pushed his way inside her.  Nothing had ever felt so right as being with Henry McDermont.  He kissed her again, his chocolate eyes watching her.

 

“Say yes, Vanessa” he murmured as he moved inside of her.  “Say yes.”

 

“Yes, Henry.  I’ll marry you” she said finally.

 

All of his pent up emotions seemed to release at her words.  Henry gave all of himself to her, telling her that she was finally his.  For years he had been full of self loathing and regrets, until Henrietta had saved his life.  He had vowed to himself that he would do whatever was necessary to get his family back and now his most heartfelt desires were within his grasp and it was overwhelming, and he was humbled and thankful.

 

The thought of another baby, another chance to redeem himself was more than he could ever hope for and as he felt himself being drawn to conclusion, he murmured a prayer of thanks, though the time might not seem appropriate to the most stoic of Christians, it seemed an appropriate time to him.

 

His release came like a flood while he was still giving thanks to the man above, and Vanessa smiled as she heard his whispers.  She closed her eyes and hoped that the prayer would cover her daughter since she wasn’t sure just how Henrietta would take the impending news of a baby and her engagement.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 






Chapter End Notes:

Hope you enjoyed the update!  Chapter 2 coming with Henry's visit to Petersburg!







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.