Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

Make It Nasty

©AwardedEmmy

2012

Chapter 13

The do's and don'ts of being a proper woman:

-Don't speak unless spoken to.

-Do talk lightly- pare down sentences to short sweet replies.

-Don't talk back. Dull your tongue. A proper woman is always quaint- never headstrong.

-Do wear a pleasant smile every passing second- bare no teeth.

-Don't use profanity.

"What the fuck is this?" Emery asked aloud in horror, picking up her final review guide and flipping to the cover. In pink script there were the words 'Final Exam for Women' and Emery scoffed as she flipped the pamphlet closed and laid it down on her wooden desk.

Where was the calculus? The physics? The rhetorical devices? What kind of final exam was this? Had it been approved? Emery sighed and shook her head. It was London, there were so many things that they did different from America, she couldn't even keep track. Yet, a test with no core subjects to review was so far beyond not normal anywhere.

Standing up from her rickety wooden desk, Emery crossed her small dorm and peered out of the medium sized square window- out into the overcast mist of London and she sighed.

Beautiful as it was, the circumstances that forced her to be in London, didn't allow much joy in anything that Emery was to see or do. Visiting under alternate circumstances- ones more desirable would have changed Emery's mind completely on just how melancholy the city was.

Thank God she would only be staying another few weeks. The month was December- the month of final exams and Emery was pleased that she would be able to return home. After much complaining and promises- and pleading with her mother, Emery was to be removed from Mayfield and Hobbs and would go home to finish her senior year at Freemont, but only under one condition was it possible- only if she resumed beauty pageants could she come home. She would do it if she had to, she was just ready to leave.

Emery had learned from the experiences she'd had over the last six month period, but her mother hadn't learned a thing. The woman hadn't even considered anything from the one incident in May. She would immediately force Emery back into the world of pageants without thinking about Emery's reason for hating them in the first place. That didn't shock Emery, but instead made her sad.

In the six months that Emery had spent in London. She couldn't kick the depression that she felt. Although she was upset about being away from home- it was the events that transpired between her and her mother that sat in the pit of her heart and made her weep to herself before falling asleep.

She still doesn't know what she should've expected from her callous mother. A hug? An apology perhaps? How could someone give life to another human being and not protect him- or repent for failing in doing so? How could a person overlook the fact that her daughter was being violated right underneath her very nose? How could a person not love a child?

How could her dad not say anything at the breakfast table the next day as his wife announced she was sending their only daughter away? How could he not even say goodbye?

How could people treat someone they carried for nine months and provided for, for seventeen years as though she was just a dog...? Even though Emery was sure a dog would be treated much better in the Johnson household than she was.

Why did she even want to go back? What was the point? Pageants? Birthday balls? Facades?

Emery rested her forehead on the frosty glass and watched as her breath fogged up the window with each exhale.

Although she didn't enjoy the snooty nature of the girls at the school, who seemed to be under the impression that being educated to be a housewife was more superior than anything else, Emery had learned a thing or two from her experiences. Emery couldn't see herself being anyone's wife- and if she could, she would never see herself being a housewife. But that must be what her mother had envisioned for her. It's all laid out in a plan that Eden seems to have and will force her daughter to adhere to.

But Emery had learned. She would never be able to follow the do's and don'ts of being a proper woman- never. But she would cook.

A part of the 'woman training' was learning how to cook. Measurements, ingredients, and most importantly recipes- Emery had found that she actually enjoyed cooking though Mayfield and Hobbs. If there was anything she would take from the all girls' school, it would be her new found passion for cooking and baking.

Emery pushed herself away from the window pane and tugged on the itchy pink wool sweater that was a little too snug for comfort as she went to sit back down at her desk.

She had her plane tickets bought two weeks in advance, because she was so anxious to go home. She missed Darrell. She missed Trenise and Chelsea. She missed Comet... She even sort of missed Logan.

During her time at the academy, Emery had a lot of time to reflect over her relationship with Logan. And soon enough she decided it was all just physical attraction. From the first day she met him she believed that his shyness was cute and as he developed into a man her attraction for him blossomed.

According to the Internet, purchasing 'Make It Nasty' and attempting to act on her attraction to Logan Isley was all because of her hormone surge along with the aid of being sexually abused as a child. It made sense to her; she was using Logan as a target to take out her sexual frustrations due to pent up anger.

Pitiful.

If anything she was glad the separation from Logan had occurred because she would have thrown everything out of the window in order to be with him. Hindsight leaves her feeling disgusted and ashamed by her actions in May.

In retrospect, she now realizes that she never really even had a crush on Logan- aside from feelings she felt before he grew up.

But that didn't matter- he didn't return any of those supposed crush-like feelings anyway. Thinking back to all of their interactions- its clear that he just wanted the same thing from her that she wanted from him- sex. No relationship. Just sex.

Why? How could a few childhood issues lead her to feeling so bad about who she had turned herself into. God, she had changed so much. Starting with the clothes- which she would have to keep wearing to please her mother now- and ending with that 'seductive' attitude.

That wasn't Emery Alisha Johnson.

'Make It Nasty' was a mistake, and if it had gone through- friendships would have been destroyed as well as dignities.

Emery was sure in her mind that upon her arrival in California things were going to be different. She couldn't- wouldn't, act upon her attraction to Logan Isley- because that's all that was, attraction and there are plenty of men in the world who she can be attracted to who will not only return the attraction, but there will be something more with them as well.

There wasn't really 'anything more' with Logan Isley.

The burnt orange ball made it through the hoop and a resounding bounce echoed through the quiet neighborhood park as Logan came back down from his dunk. The rim made a creaking noise as it vibrated, recovering from Logan's weight. He bent down and swooped up the ball mid dribble and bounced it back to Darrell who stood waiting on the court a little distance away.

"You think you're so cool cuz you can play some ball." Darrell said shaking his head.

Logan just chuckled for response as he prepared to block Darrell's attempts at making a basket. The two skirted around the court for about twenty seconds before the sound of Logan's tech-like ringtone sounded out on the bench right off the court. Logan walked off the court, not even saying time out, allowing Darrell to make a basket.

Darrell cussed out Logan with his usual colorful vocabulary and Logan rolled his eyes as he chuckled, "It's my girl man." He notified Darrell.

Darrell rolled his eyes, not particularly fond in Logan's choice of girlfriends. She was too sweet. He hated that, she was never sarcastic and was always pretending like she was innocent, but he didn't believe her personality. She was familiar to him.

When he first met her he couldn't help feeling like he had known her from somewhere else. He shook off the feeling, congratulated his boy on finding a hottie even if she wouldn't put out and had a weird schedule- and he moved on with his life. But the suspicious feeling never strayed from him. Of course he wouldn't tell his best friend that his girl unnerved him.

"What? You gonna ditch me cuz your girl can chill...? For once."

It took forever for Logan to reply, "Naw." He said simply.

Darrell shook his head and rolled his eyes. He was already anxious to know how his sister would feel about Logan's new girlfriend when she got back home, he hoped she wouldn't be too upset, but Logan was beginning to act like Cassidy was the best thing walking around here.

Just wait until Emery gets back. Darrell smirked, but it immediately turned into a frown. How would Logan react to Emery? He's so stupid he would probably end up ruining both of those relationships.

Darrell shook his head at his best friend, he was happy for him, just kind of skeptical at the same time. He constantly wondered why Logan was even sticking around that girl, but decided against contemplating it too far. All Darrell knew was that Logan still- thoughtlessly, of course-constantly brought Emery up in conversation.

Weird ass kid.

"Well shit, you've stopped our game so many times I've lost score. Might as well just call it a game." Darrell said, picking up his overused dirty ball and walking over to the bench. He sat down, the cold and damp metal froze his ass through his sweatpants and he sighed in discontent as he picked up his own cell phone.

The first few new messages on his phone were from a few girls who were trying their hardest to charm him and the last was from his father.

[Come down to the studio.]

Darrell scowled at his phone before turning it off. He was sick of his parents.

"What's wrong with you?" Logan questioned sitting down on the bench as well.

"Man, I'm tired of music." Darrell replied honestly, "I'm so done with it." Darrell rubbed the corner of his eye as he yawned.

"Why?"

He sighed, "I always knew my dad didn't really care about my sister... But after he consigned on sending her away like," Darrell paused and watched his cold breath dissolve into thin air before he continued, "I've just felt different about music."

Logan nodded in understanding.

"So what are you going to do about it?"

"I'm going to his office right now and I'm quitting."

Logan's eyebrows shot up ad he nodded again. "You make the right decision for you, dude."

"It is right, I mean damn. What kind of people raised me?" Darrell asked as he leaned forward on the bench, his elbows resting on his kneecaps. Logan imitated his actions and listened, he never really knew Darrell's take on important situations. Darrell was usually reserved, so when he spoke about something, it meant he was feeling strongly about the situation. "I'm just so mad."

And that was it. Logan couldn't sigh in disappointment at his friend's ineptitude to express his true feelings, because really? What guy was going to sit and bitch and moan about family problems? So, his last sentence was enough, and Logan understood.

"I'd be too." Logan agreed and then scoffed, who was he kidding? He was mad too. Darrell was right, what kind of people raised him?

"So that's what I'm going to do... Then I'm getting Emery from the airport. Wanna come?"

Logan did- really did, but he shook his head, "I shouldn't, you guys probably have a lot of catching up and shit to do. Family stuff."

Darrell laughed, "You are family, I'm sure Emery would want you to be at the airport with me." Darrell hinted, cocking an eyebrow.

Logan didn't catch it- why would he? What was Darrell doing trying to get his best friend and twin sister together? It'd be a disaster if he got involved. Besides, Logan was already dating someone, so technically it was too late. If only he'd been at that spin-the-bottle, stuff would've gone down differently.

"Nah man I'll come over tomorrow or something."

Darrell nodded and stood up from the bench. "Alright, see ya."

Logan nodded his acknowledgment and leaned back on the seat.

So Emery was coming home...?

Shit, well, what the hell was he going to do now?

First class, round trip, more hours than countable on Emery's two hands, and Emery had arrived back at LAX and was patiently waiting for Darrell. Without a phone, she was unaware about her brother's whereabouts, but that didn't stop her from proceeding through baggage claim, retrieving her maroon and black luggage.

After eleven hours on a plane, she'd acquired a massive headache. The only way she could think to relieve it was squeezing her eyes closed repeatedly, but that was barely doing its job. She couldn't wait to get home, get a glass of water, cuddle with Comet; a small smile arrived on her face as she thought of Comet. She pondered if he'd changed much since her departure. She frowned, hoping he'd stayed the same.

Not realizing she was still practicing her headache reliever, through one of the lapses, Emery caught sight of a tall male figure standing before her. He wore a navy blue coat, a clean pair of white sneakers in which light blue jeans were tucked into. Emery grinned as she recognized the short tight curls on top of the man in front of hers head.

"What the hell were you doing?" Darrell questioned, referring to the way she was attempting to alleviate her headache. Emery didn't respond, instead she stepped into him and wrapped her arms around his trunk, he followed suit, and Emery only hugged him tighter.

She couldn't form words; every part of her was focused on the thrill of being back home. No more snobby stay-at-home-mom-to-bes'. No more dreary days. No more being completely alone. Where her body was cold, and not just from the frosty December air, she was instantly warmed. The part of her that felt desolate was instantly dissipated with the reunion of her twin brother. He hugged her tighter, obviously feeling the same warm connection that she did as he gave her a light peck on the top of her head.

"I passed my finals." Emery told Darrell, as they flew down the freeway in Darrell's Mustang. "I aced them, they were bullshit. I passed every class. That punk-ass school didn't teach me shit."

Darrell laughed, "You're cursing more." He noted.

Emery frowned, "I'm not."

"You are."

Emery scowled, "Fuck you."

"See what I mean?" Darrell asked loudly and Emery laughed.

"Fine, I am, but it's not on purpose. I cursed a lot in frustration over there. That school was so- UGH!" She sank in her seat, her hair caught on the fabric so she slid back up. "I'm so glad to be home!"

"Tell me about it on a real level."

Emery crossed her arms over her chest, "Bitches over there were acting like we reverted back to the fifties. Do your hair like this, talk to men like this, smile like-,"

"They were telling you how to smile?"

Emery nodded frantically, "Yes, oh my gosh, I saved almost every single thing I got from that school, I'm going to show you. If you didn't believe me-,"

"I have, only Eden would send you to some stupid shit like that."

Emery frowned slightly and leaned into her seat, turning her full attention towards her brother, "Eden?"

Darrell looked over at Emery at nodded nonchalantly, "Yeah."

"Eden?"

"Do you want me to call her mom?"

Emery's frown deepened, "Well- why wouldn't you? What happened? What did she do?"

"Nothing to me. It's what she did to you. Dennis too."

"Dennis. Look at Darrell, calling his parents by their first names." She teased.

"I'm serious, they aren't my parents anymore. I'm done. I applied to a couple colleges, I'm gonna make it on my own, come May, I'm out of there."

Emery sighed, "You have it easy, you'll be gone half the time with your rapping thing. I'm stuck doing fucking pageants because I decided to come home now. Life's rough." Darrell didn't respond to what she said and Emery studied him carefully for a second before asking, "Darrell, what happened? For real?"

Darrell sighed, "I'm not rapping anymore."

"Oh." That was all Emery could say, she'd watched Darrell dream of being a rapper every since he knew what music was. "Why not?"

"I just, I don't know what's wrong with them." He shook his head in annoyance, and ran his free hand over his curls, "But, whatever, I've decided to be like you, I'm a little late though." He paused again and then belted out, "Fuck them!" Emery's eyebrows shot up, "I wanted to rap because I wanted to be like dad, but not anymore. I am so sickened by those two. I just-," He stopped talking as they exited the freeway.

Emery blinked, "So- did you ever really like rapping?"

Darrell was quiet in thought then he shook his head, "Nah, I guess not. It was cool getting girls and being known and shit, but eh-," He shrugged, "I like music, I'm good at it, but I don't want to even-, I want to be completely separated from those two. Both of us. We need to get the hell out of there, before something bad happens."

Emery's eyes widened at her brothers words, "Uh-,"

"Okay. Not that far." Darrell hadn't even had to look at her to know what she was thinking. "But I'm serious."

"It's illegal. You're still a minor?"

"So- I don't give a fuck."

Emery nodded, "Did you tell dad- um- Dennis?"

Darrell snorted, "Yeah, and that asshole had the nerve to tell me I wasn't done with music just because I was done with him. He said it like he didn't give a fuck that I no longer wanted to be considered his son, but instead he was more concerned with the music? I don't understand what the hell is wrong with those two at all."

Emery shrugged, "What does he mean you're not done?"

"I have no idea, but he said, 'you can't just walk out on something that's gonna stick to you forever', and I was like fuck you." Darrell paused, "Okay, I didn't say that, but I thought it. I just walked out."

Emery laughed at her brother's rage toward their parents as they neared their community. "They won't be home tonight will they?"

Darrell shrugged, "Probably will be, they've been home a lot lately. I don't really understand why?"

"They're attempting to perpetrate probably. Is someone important questioning their family values?"

Again Darrell shrugged, "No clue."

Everything was as it had been left back at home. Same clutter on the desk, same spotless floor, and same closet clogged with clothes that she'd used to attempt to seduce Logan. Emery scoffed aloud as she ran her fingers through the clothes kind of nostalgically. She bit her lip and rolled her eyes, what had she been thinking?

At least she could avoid seeing Logan, by staying pent up inside her room every time he decides to visit. No. That wouldn't work; he still felt it was acceptable to attempt to go into her room.

But why would he even try to go into her room now? Emery sighed, memories of that night in May came flooding back into her brain and she groaned aloud. He rejected her and she acted like a completely unstable bitch.

She'd need to apologize about that- that was a very bad note to leave on. At least he understood the way she felt, but did he care?

Did she care?

Emery shook her head, being back in Los Angeles- close to Logan, was messing with thoughts she'd fought to stabilize.

"Okay, Comet, remind me from now on. No more Logan Isley thoughts." She said out loud running her fingers through her dark hair. She grinned realizing she was falling back into old habits.

Only something was off. It was eerily quiet. Emery knew when Comet was around, whether it was the sound of his claws lightly tapping on the hardwood floors of the house, or his constant meows that- in Emery's mind, signaled that he understood her.

Emery frowned and called the name of her beloved cat repeatedly. After waiting somewhere around two minutes and not hearing him come, she pursed her lips and started to wander the house in search of her cat. A slow panic began to settle in as she realized that she couldn't hear Comet and weirdly enough, she couldn't feel his presence either.

Downstairs in the kitchen, Emery encountered Darrell and she sighed going to him and watching him carefully she noted the nervous expression on his face and she asked slowly attempting to make her voice sound even, but she heard a tremble of fear, fear for her cats life. "Where is Comet?"

Darrell leaned up from the counter and looked away from his phone, he blinked at her as if seeing her for the first time and Emery rolled her eyes because she could see guilt all over his face. With all the fake-nonchalance in the world he replied simply with, "At Logan's."

Emery turned her head and bit her knuckle. In all the emails they'd exchanged, she hadn't known her precious baby was at Logan's house.

Logan's house. Out of all the places, anyone would have been better.

Better than Logan.

Logan had Comet, which meant...

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

Emery was not ready to see Logan. Even though she wanted her baby back, she was not prepared to be faced with the guy she spent seven months getting over. Why the hell was he at Logan's house in the first place?

Emery voiced her last question out loud and Darrell chuckled easily as if the reason was a light joke. This was Emery's cat and he was acting like it was nothing. Emery fumed. "Apparently, I suck at cat sitting and he could do a better job."

Emery shook her head at her brother, "Oh my God, you asshole, just letting my cat-,"

"Hey! Before you start blaming me for what you probably think was a poor decision, I would like to let you know that your cat is probably well fed and fat off of love or some shit at Logan's. So you should be thankful I let him take it."

"It?" Emery wanted to scream. She wanted her baby, so bad, but Logan. Fucking Logan Isley. She inhaled deeply as she turned and exited the kitchen before she could exercise violence upon her brother.

Back in her room she rifled through her closet, looking for anything remotely warm to wear unfortunately all she had to wear were skinny jeans or sweatpants. She huffed, deciding on the black skinny jeans, she pulled them on and wiggled around a bit. They fit perfectly, she smiled, realizing she hadn't gained nor lost any weight. Looking for a decent shirt took more time, and multiple times during the search she reprimanded herself for even looking. What was the point anyways?

"I don't like Logan." She told herself.

But she still continued to search her closet until she found a loose bubbly white tank top, she pulled it on over her black push-up, the very one from Victoria Secret's, she smirked, a small one, and then erased it. "Don't think about that. Think about how amazing and long-lasting this damn bra is. Yeah. Good thoughts. No Logan. None of him. Good bras."

She searched some more until she found her dark denim jacket, she shrugged into it and slipped into her red converse, before treading to her bathroom. Looking in the mirror, she instantly reverted back to that day in May in which she'd worn the exact same outfit. The first outfit she wore to impress Logan. She laughed at the fact that she would remember what she wore seven months ago and then she shook her head.

"He's probably ugly as hell now." She told herself and then she laughed, "Ugly brown eyes, ugly brown hair, ugly boy, ugly Logan."

Fluffing up her hair she chewed her lip in nervousness, but stopped herself. "You're not nervous, Emery. Dammit, you're just going to go and get Comet. That's it. He's ugly and you don't like him anyways. So there. Stop being nervous."

Still the butterflies fluttered around like crazy in her stomach. She tried to stop them, but they wouldn't stop. She groaned as she made her way back downstairs, bumping into Darrell on her way. Prepared to give him the cold shoulder, her efforts were thwarted as he started questioning her.

"Where are you going."

'Over to Logan's.'

Don't say that.

"To get my baby." She told him.

"Oh I'm coming too. We should eat there, to avoid those people."

Emery rolled her eyes at her brother's deceitful expression and smiled a little, and then she frowned. Staying would include being around Logan. Being in Logan's house. "Can't. I have to be here tonight."

"Nah, you don't. Let's go. I'll drive."

Emery wanted to fight that, but she rolled her eyes. "Do it for your kitty." She muttered.

Emery got out of passengers seat of Darrell's Mustang and unintentionally slammed the door. Wincing as the thunking noise echoed through the neighborhood, Emery's eyes darted towards Darrell who was glaring at her. She shrugged an apology and then looked towards the small home in front of her. She saw Logan's Jeep and a shiver ran down her spine remembering the times she rode in it. She shook her head.

Comet.

She braced herself, closing and unclosing her fists as she made her way up the dampened from rain path towards his front door. "I'll just say hey and get my cat, then disappear. Somewhere. Oh my gosh."

"Stop talking to yourself." Darrell said coming up behind her. He reached towards the doorbell, but Emery's hands shot up and she karate chopped his arm away from the buzzer.

"I'm not ready." She told him noticing that confused expression on his face.

"For what? It's just Logan..." He smirked, "It's been seven months; please tell me you don't like him still."

Emery glared at Darrell, "I don't." She admitted.

Darrell's eyes widened, "Wait. What?"

"I don't. He's ugly and old news. Small simple crush, I'm over it. British guys were totally hot and-,"

"Logan is half-British. You know that right?"

"Half." Emery seethed.

Darrell rolled his eyes, "Whatever Emery." He said and then reached forward and rung the doorbell.

Emery shrieked and impulsively kicked her brother in the shin, "How could you? I'm not ready." She whined.

Darrell responded with a glare.

Emery crossed her arms underneath her breast and sneered at Darrell.

The front door swung open easily and Emery's eyes slowly slid towards the opening. Her attraction to Logan Isley whooshed back into her system so fast air rushed from her lungs, butterflies returned with a vengeance, and her eyes widened slightly.

Holy shit.

Emery surveyed Logan carefully. He wore a pair of dark denim straight-leg jeans, more loosely than the jeans he used to wear. His signature white tennis shoes were on and Emery frowned, in the comfort of his own home he wore shoes? A baggy red sweatshirt covered his upper-half, it was rolled up to his elbows and Emery saw the makings of a bold black tattoo on his right forearm. Her heart began to pound as her eyes wandered towards his face. His sparklingly topaz gaze held hers and his pink lips held a seductive smirk.

Well, fuck me. She wanted to say it, but the comment wouldn't be treated well in the company of her brother. His eyes dipped, and she followed them, before nervously uncrossing her arms. Tank-tops, push-up bras, and crossed arms don't go together.

"Well, well-,"

"I'm here for my cat." Emery blurted, effectively cutting off Logan and getting right to the point. She couldn't believe what was going on in her body. She needed to sit down. She needed a drink. Her cheeks were hot. She could swear she was sweating. She licked her lips as she looked everywhere but into Logan's eyes.

This was what she didn't want.

She wasn't ready. If he talked to her, it was over. It was so over; she'd be hooked on him until the day she died. Emery licked her lips again and focused her attention on the ground.

"You can go in and find him." She heard Logan say and she nodded as she attempted to walk into his house, but he blocked the path. She wanted to kick him like she did Darrell, but she decided against it. "You could at least say 'hi' to me before trying to go into my house." Logan chided in that wonderfully smooth voice that had her melting. Emery suppressed an irritated groan as she mumbled a greeting. "Wow, that was the lamest fucking 'hi' I've ever gotten in my life."

Emery clenched her fists and looked up in the eyes that she loved to look at, but hated at the same time. "Hi." She forced herself to say it, hoping he couldn't detect the nervousness that laid beneath the words.

He grinned, "Well. Hi. It's nice to see you too Emery after all this time. I even fed your cat and you can't even smile at me?" He teased. Emery looked at him more closely; he was bigger, more muscular, and even taller? Logan was always growing, and stirring up her feelings, at least she didn't get jittery when he said, 'Emery'.

"Oh my God. Hi, Logan." She said, smiling. It wasn't forced, just the simple fact that he said her name had her walking on heaven, but she was so nervous, she wanted to crawl underneath his doormat and die.

"So fake." He said, stepping out of the way allowing Emery entrance into his home. She breezed inside and disappeared around the corner. Logan looked at Darrell and sighed, "What's wrong with her?"

"She's trying to fight her emotions." Darrell said- almost telling on Emery.

Logan frowned, "Why?"

"She doesn't want to seem too excited to be back." Darrell said, and then shrugged.

"Oh." Logan nodded. "Want to come in too or-?"

Darrell smirked, figuring he'd torture his twin sister. His shin was still stinging from her kick, and even his arm was still aching from her karate chop. He nodded, "Sure."

Logan opened the door wider for Darrell's entrance, but before he even had time to close the door, he heard his name being called from outside. He frowned and looked outside, and his eyes widened. "Logan." Cassidy stood outside, looking at him. Green eyes just as wide as his.

"Hey Cass." Logan said, beckoning her over with the arm that wasn't holding the door.

She came closer and stepped into the house, her green eyes slid towards Darrell and she bit her lip nervously. "I didn't know you had company." She said.

"They just stopped by."

Cassidy shifted uncomfortably, "They," She paused, "You mean-," Logan nodded without even waiting for her to clarify who 'they' were.

"What the fuck are you guys doing?" Darrell asked. "Acting all shady."

Cassidy giggled nervously and tucked her raven hair behind her ear. "We're not acting shady."

Darrell rolled his eyes, before staring directly into the jade green eyes of Cassidy. "Yeah you are."

"No-," She shook her head adamantly.

Darrell sighed, kind of annoyed and looked to Logan, "Emery's just getting her cat if ya'll want alone time."

Logan shrugged, "You guys can stay. We don't need to spend time alone."

"What?" Cassidy and Darrell asked at the same time. Logan bit his lip and awkwardly looked down at his phone which was secure in his hand.

Darrell shook his head thinking about Emery, she was going to hit rock bottom. He could tell she was already struggling with the fact that she'd be around Logan again. He bit his lip and his eyes slid to Cassidy, who behind Logan watched him closely. Her hooded eyes carefully scanned him, causing him to gulp in discomfort. What the-? He cleared his throat and adverted his gaze quickly.

"I'm ordering pizza. We all like pizza. Okay? Yeah? Good." Logan nodded, shoved his hands into the pocket on his sweatshirt, and walked out of the room quickly, leaving Darrell in the room with Cassidy.

He'd never felt so uncomfortable in his life, as his best friends girlfriend watched him. Taking a deep breath he looked at her and boldly asked, "What the hell are you looking at?"

"Nothing." Cassidy replied, looking around the foyer anxiously, "Nothing at all. I was just- checking."

"Checking what?" Darrell pushed.

Cassidy shrugged, "Nothing."

"Okay. You're always staring at me. I don't like it."

"I know. I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

"You're dating my best friend." Darrell added, "So cut it out." And then he turned and exited the foyer, trying to maintain calm while practically running for his sister. That suspicious feeling returned and Darrell frowned. Hell no. He wasn't that type of friend.

Emery walked into the kitchen, expecting to meet Logan and Darrell immediately, but instead was greeted by another female as well. She tried to hide her surprise figuring, Logan was Logan, but jealousy coursed through her veins before she could stop it. "Darrell. I got Comet." She said to her brother who was casually leaning over the counter.

Darrell stood up in acknowledgement and looked at Logan who frowned, "I just ordered like- half a pizza shop. You guys have to stay."

Emery scowled. "I'm sleepy from my flight."

"Yeah right." Logan said, "Stay."

Emery looked at Darrell and then at the other female in the room and sighed. She was so pretty. With exotic green eyes, olive skin, and long raven tresses. Her body was perfect, true to the stereotyped Latin curves. Emery hid her jealously well and nodded, "Fine, but don't get all pissy if I knock out on your couch." She said.

Logan nodded, "I won't. I'll just move you to my bed and keep the party going." He said simply. Emery's heart-raced, even though she was trying her hardest to squelch dirty thoughts. Logan continued talking, "But seriously, I hate leftover pizza. It's never good the next day..." He trailed off in thought, and the room was quiet and awkward.

"Logan-," Darrell said then motioned between Cassidy and Emery.

"Oh!" Logan said loudly, then smiled, "I'm so out of it right now... Uh, Ems, this is Cassidy my-," He paused and looked at Cassidy, Emery noted his smile fading slightly.

"Girlfriend." Cassidy piped up, glaring at Logan. "Your girlfriend."

Logan laughed, "Yup." He crossed the kitchen and threw his arm around her shoulder. "My baby." He continued, and then grinned widely.

Emery stared at Logan, baffled, her stomach doing twists and turns, her heart racing, and her throat swelling. She could tell he was avoiding her gaze, he was looking at ceiling, the floor, and the bar stools. Taking a deep frustrated breath, Emery looked into Cassidy's green eyes and smiled. "Hi." She could hear tears in her own voice, and prayed no one else could hear them.

Cassidy replied with a 'hi' as well.

"It was all awkward in here." Darrell said, "Now that everyone knows everyone's name we can eat pizza together." He looked at Logan and shook his head.

Logan frowned, "Oh, my bad."

Emery licked her bottom lip as she clutched Comet closer to her chest; thanking God she had him there with her. Girlfriend? As in... Girlfriend? Emery pursed her lips and shook her head slightly. Since when? She wanted to ask questions, but she wasn't sure how to do it without sounding jealous, so she opted against it, and pouted behind Comet's head. He called her 'Ems' then announced his girlfriend.

Well done, Logan. Well done.

"Aye, how'd that thing go with your dad?" Logan asked Darrell.

Darrell sighed, "He said something about, 'you can't just walk out on something that's gonna stick to you forever' so-,"

Cassidy gasped garnering the attention of everyone in the room. Her eyes were as big as saucers as she licked her bottom lip and pouted. Emery frowned and looked at Darrell who shared her expression, then Emery turned her attention to Logan who was staring at Cassidy with eye's just as wide and shaking his head. He probably though it wasn't noticeable, but Emery saw it.

What the fuck?

"Sorry." Cassidy said, "It's just those words are so telling, you know?"

Darrell nodded slowly, "Yeah..." He trailed off, "Anyway, whatever he thinks is going on isn't going on. I'm done rapping and that's-,"

Cassidy gasped again, "What?!" She belted out, "Done rapping how- why? What? You were so good! Are you stupid? Are you dumb? Darrell, why are you quitting? I don't get it?!"

Darrell took a step back, as though she was approaching him, when all she was doing was yelling at him over the counter. Darrell looked at Emery, Emery looked at Darrell.

"Okay." Darrell said, "Sorry. It's just not for me anymore."

"Not for you?!" Cassidy continued, "But, what about your f-,"

"Cassidy!?" Logan shouted, clapping his hand over her mouth and dragging her from the room so fast Darrell and Emery could easily forget they'd ever been present.

Darrell looked at Emery, Emery looked at Darrell, and Emery said, "I'm so confused."

And Darrell replied, "Yeah, me too."

 






Chapter End Notes:

I mixed 'A' and 'B' for a number of reasons, but here is the gist. 

A. Because I was told that I was dragging the story out. I can explain. After talking to my mom, I discovered, that I'd fallen in love with the characters and I didn't want them to end. But, all good things must come to an end. So. I can't drag this story out. 

B. I was told that I have talent and I should make this story as long and as plentiful as possible. This conflicts with 'A'.

Combining = Taking my time to complete the story, but not dragging it along, and still putting top notch effort into it. I know where the story is headed, I've drafted it all out. And that's where we are. Thank you for reading. :) 







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.