Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Four parts fr each time frame




Author's Chapter Notes:

Hope you guys like this!




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

She sat at the desk staring into the black space of her coffee cup.

"Hey Cathy, you like what you see?" Joe Garrelli said, the janitor who always seemed to be around, said

"Shut up Joe." She snapped.

"Okay sorry!" he said with a frown she'd been like this all day. He shrugged it off and walked away.

Catherine duke ran her fingers through her now shoulder length hair. She let out a shaky sigh and continued to stare into the black liquid.

One of the best reporters there, Catherine was always on top of her game. But not today.

"Catherine."

She jumped hearing her name banging her knee against the desk and cutting it. This set off the fire of emotions she was trying to smolder inside of her. She burst into tears dropping her hand into her hands.

"Whoa! Catherine, I'm sorry. Calm, its okay it's a small cut." Dave said.

She stood up and went into the break room grabbing the first aid kit. She pulled off her stockings and cleaned herself up. Her life was so good and now the year of hell had finally come and the devil; at least her devil, was free.

He was out and there was no way she could hide from him. Her voice was all over New York! He could find her and he would find her, she knew him too well.

‘I'll be back.' the words haunted her for eighteen years. Ever since she was sixteen. She felt sick. Dave walked in.

"Hey, are you okay?"

"I'm okay there is just a lot on my mind right now. I just want to go home. Is that okay Dave?" she asked softly.

"Yes of course Catherine go ahead. Take all the time you need." He said.

 She stood and gave an unconvincing smile walking out. She packed her stuff away and left. She went into the parking deck digging for her keys. She didn't see the figure approaching her from behind.

A hand grabbed her shoulder. She spun screaming and throwing a wild punch. The hand caught her wrist and grabbed her by the shoulders.

"Catherine! It's just me, Joe!" he said.

She looked up at him, took a step forward, and collapsed to the floor. He grabbed her before she hit the floor.

 

"Cathy, wake up for me! Catherine!" he yelled tapping her face. His heart raced he didn't know what could've been wrong with her but he cared about her way too much to lose her.

She wasn't responding, so he just picked her up and put her into his car and rushed her to the hospital.

That's where they were now. Everyone was in the waiting room scared to death but he refused to leave her side. He sat at the side of the bed holding her hand. The doctors had taken off her makeup but she was still beautiful. She had two small scars on her face one on her chin and one under her eyebrow. He wondered what from.

Her hand moved.

"Cathy?" he said standing.

Everything next happened in a flash. Her eyes opened and then she began to shake violently. He ran to the door and yelled frantically for the doctor. His heart froze as he heard the heart monitor stop the continuous beeping and turn into one long beep.

The doctors ran into the room ripping open the gown. He stood shocked as he saw all the scars running down her torso.

"Sir you have to go. She will be okay. I'll make sure of it." One of the nurses said as she pushed him out of the room.

He went to the waiting room.

"What happened?" Lisa asked.

"Her heart it just stopped and they are trying to revive her." He said sitting in shock.

They prayed and sat waiting. Soon, the doctor walked out.

"I'm looking for Joe Garrelli." Joe stood.

"Your name's Garrelli?" Bill asked.

"I'm Joe. Is she okay?"

"We were able to revive her. She won't go to sleep until she sees you." He followed the doctor into the room. She was sitting up. She looked exhausted.

"Hey Cathy. You okay?"

"No, from what I've heard I just died for a few minutes. But of course, you already knew that. She said.

He chuckled.

"Even after all this you're still same old Catherine." He said.

"Never gonna change dying or not."

He sat and grabbed her hand staring into her tilt tipped brown eyes. She stared back for a moment and then smiled.

"No Catherine no smiling. You had me so afraid I thought I lost you." He said.

"It wouldn't be so bad I know you get tired of me always hitting you."

"No I deserve it most of the time. But sometimes I want you to hit me harder and harder and harder!" he yelled turning his head in mock ecstasy.

"Joe, stop it before they hear you out there!" she said with a laugh.

He hugged her to him. She was small in reality and he was muscular and probably crushing her but he didn't care, he just wanted her, needed her close to him.

"I was so scared." He said.

"I'm here." She said.

"Okay, you get some rest. I'll be right here." He said.

She smiled back and closed her eyes.

He'd wondered how they had gotten this close.

Wondered why he loved her like he did.

Wondered why it seemed as though she wanted to love him back but couldn't.

He got up and went into the waiting room.

"She's alright you guys. But she's exhausted so come back tomorrow. She'll be a lot better." He said.

They got up to leave and he watched as some police officers and detectives walk into Catherine's room.

When he heard her scream he ran in but was grabbed.

"No let him in." she said.

He was let go and he rushed to her side.

"What's wrong?"

"Someone burned down my house. They couldn't save anything not even my dog." She said.

Tears seeped through her closed eyelids and slid down her cheeks.

"Ms. Duke someone also burned the message ‘I'm back,' into the lawn. Do you have any idea what that could mean?" the detective asked.

Her heart froze.

"No. I just want to sleep." She said.

"Okay you get some sleep if you can and we will notify you every time we get a lead. Do you have a place to stay?"

Joe stepped forward.

"Yes she does. You guys need to go that's enough questions." He said.

They detectives nodded and left. Tears rolled down her face. He fought the urge to kiss them away. Instead in he pulled her into his chest as she broke down in sobs.

He'd never seen Catherine cry before; he doubted anyone had. But her pitiful and broken sobs made his heart clench and he wanted to cry for her.

"It's okay. You got me. I'm here." He said rubbing her back with soothing circles. He sat on the bed and pulled her into his chest.

"I'm right here Cathy. I'm right here." He said stroking her soft hair.

"When did you become a gentleman?" she said with a chuckle wiping her tears.

"Ever since you collapsed in front of me. I'm not that bad!" he said making her laugh.

"Right." She said closing her eyes and drifting off.

Two weeks later, she was discharged.

"Joe can you take me to my house?"

It wasn't a house, more like a lot full of burnt rubble, and like the detective said, the message ‘I'm back,' was burned into the lawn.

Yes, the year of hell had finally come and the devil had come to make her pay.

 






Chapter End Notes:

Dedicated to my friend Erin the awesome person who is just as obsessed with this pairing as I am and the person who created my awesome banner for this story!







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.