Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

SO much drama.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Nyla looked up at Gavin “The past few months have been"
'Ring ring ring" Gavin's phone rang the tone signaling it was the hospital and an emergency.
"Babe I have to get this" his said apologetically.
Nyla quickly moved off his chest " We can talk about this later."
"Gavin hastily all be it begrudgedly picked up the phone"
"Shit. I'll be there in 15 minutes." He answered as he put on his clothes.
"Babe I'm sorry but I got to go, one of my patients looks like he is rejecting the transplant."
Nyla prayed everything worked out as she watched Gavin race through the room and then out the door.
" Bye" she said quietly, she was certain he hadn't heard her. Nyla threw her head back and screamed into Gavin's pillow.
"I was going to tell him! I finally worked up the courage and he gets a freaking emergency call. She knew she was being a selfish brat about it, a child's life was in jeopardy but the moment seemed perfect to unload the secret that was practically making her sick to keep. She wasn't sure what Trent's problem with her was. He left lewd and derogatory messages on her cell phone and her separate house line which she used for work. He must have gotten hold of her business card which had both those numbers on them. At first she thought it was about her, but as of late she was starting to suspect he had some type of vendetta against Gavin. Flinging off her covers she walked to the bathroom and decided to take a bubble bath. She lit a vanilla scented candle and picked up her tub pillow and let the fragrant warm bath water do its magic. She lay there till she was prune worthy but it wasn't a waste, she felt a renewed sense of urgency to divulge her and Trent's history to Gavin. She knew he would understand, the more she thought about it the more foolish she felt . She was going to make meatloaf with garlic mash and string beans for dinner, Gavin practically licked the plate the last time she made it.

Finally getting out of the bathtub she poured lotion in her hand and upon rubbing into her skin she made a face of annoyance. She had mixed up the bottles and put on Gavin's lotion. She smiled as she looked around the bathroom noticing the tell tale signs of his infiltration into her home. His bathrobe hung next to hers, his body wash and lotion were placed next to hers, her old hair care drawer had been bumped a d now housed his other toiletries. More often than not she would look into her closet and find several of his clothes hung up, she took it upon herself to have them dry cleaned or laundered with her own clothing. She was really apart of a couple. She smiled at the thought and got ready to go to the supermarket for the ingredients for tonight's dinner.

Gavin walked away from the operating room, dejected and weary. His patient hadn't made it, the look of pain on the boys parents face insured that he wouldn't sleep tonight. He knew this was apart of his job, you had to take the good with the bad but it was a bitter pill to swallow. He was just a kid. He was going to blow off some steam at the fitness center attached to the hospital. Gavin had been running on the treadmill for half an hour when Trent walked in. Gavin saw him 10 minutes prior flirting with the receptionist, that guy was such a player.
Trent walked over to him " You wanna ball?"
"No man, I'm not feeling it today. I've had a pretty fucked up day."
"What happened, trouble in paradise and I'm sure it is paradise" Trent snickered
Gavin knew that in his current mood he shouldn't continue to engage in a conversation with Trent, however instead of walking away he stopped the treadmill and walked to entrance of lower level where the indoor basketball courts were housed . With not even a cursory glance he asked ”You coming".
Trent jogged over and they headed into the courts.
"Check"
"Check"
Gavin lunged for the ball but Trent proved to be faster and Gavin ended up plying defense. Gavin pushed against Trent making impossible to a shot.
"Damn Gavin, your always blocking." Gavin was sure there was a double meaning even if unsure as to what it was . Gavin wanted to lay out all his pent up aggression on the basketball floor because he didn't want to be like the when he went home to Nyla. Truthfully because of the nature of today's events he was hesitant to reveal too much to Nyla because it may hit to close to home. Gavin became so wrapped up in his thoughts he didn't notice Trent fade to the left and score.
"Gavin, looks like I always score before you do."
"But it only matters who scores last" Gavin answered hitting a three point shot.
Gavin noticed this was not their usual friendly game there was some underlying tension that neither man knew how to address.
"What's your problem with Nyla. I mean I knew you were fond of Abigail but something is off"
" Maybe I'm just sick of you trailing behind me taking my crumbs."
"What the fuck are you talking a bout? stop the bullshiting around and tell me."
" I'm talking about Abbey and now Nyla."
Gavin was sure the confusion was etched into his face. "Abbey and now Nyla what is your deal with the women in my life?"
"Nothing if they weren't always in my life first before you fuckin swoop in"
Gavin stopped playing and straightened up approaching Trent " How we're you in Nyla's life, you just met her a few weeks ago. I know your not mad because that Abbey and I dated, you guys had like two dates freshman year of college. "

"It was more than two dates"
"To be honest that was a long time ago it doesn't matter but why were you talking about with Nyla. Did you say something to her because she was strange when she came back from the ladies room."
"Yeah, I just jogged her memory a little."
"How that?"
"You should ask her."
"I'm asking you."
"Trust me ask her"
Gavin grabbed Trent's shirt and pushed him into the wall
"Talk or this friendship is over"
"I dated Abbey for a few months before you. I fucked her."
"What does that have to do with now. I mean shit if I knew it was that serious I probably wouldn't have went out with her but we are over. What does this have to do with Nyla."
"What do you think?" Trent said smirking at Gavin
Gavin didn't like that he had slept with Abbey but the insinuation that Trent had been intimate with Nyla sent him over the edge. He grabbed Trent's shirt hauling him to him
"Quit this shit Trent"
"Why you mad cause I fucked Nyla first and I didn't even have to date her. She came to me " Trent taunted
"Gavin lunged at him punching Trent in the gut. Trent doubled over but hit Gavin with an uppercut. Gavin punched Trent in the eye and then issued a quick jab to the l mouth.
"You think you had her first, the whole time she wished it was someone else"
"Trent knew there was some validity to his statement because he remembered Nyla moaning someone else's name. With his pride injured he renewed his efforts grappling Gavin and pushing him into the wall of the gymnasium. What little restraint that Gavin had slipped completely as he landed blow after blow to Trent's body. He taunts about Nyla ricocheting through his mind. The last blow to Trent's abdominal brought him to his knees and Gavin stopped striking him.
Gavin was angry and disappointed but a part of him remembered the old fun frat boy Trent that he had spent years playing jokes with. He walked over to Trent to offer his hand up and Trent batted his hand away.
"What the fuck is it, it was one night Trent."
"That's what you think that it's about this one night. It's about me being tired of living in your shadow because your name is McKeough" Trent spat
"Abbey and I had a good thing till you came and fucked it up. But I forgave you and you do this shit again"
"Are you fucking kidding me. This isn't even about Nyla you still want Abbey, you can have her. I can't imagine the conversations you have considering she is a not so closeted racist. We are done, this friendship is done. Don't bother me or Nyla again or the next time I won't stop. And like you said I'll probably get away with it because I'm a McKeough .
Gavin picked up his towel and placed over his head cover up the evidence of what had ensued in the courts. Throwing his bag into the trunk he started his car an sped off. He drove for what seemed like hours, disturbed that three people whom were close to him had lied repeatedly to his face. Gavin's phone rang and he glanced over and saw Nyla's face light up the screen. His mind was quickly flooded with images of Trent and Nyla in bed. He gripped the steering wheel tighter and kept driving.

Nyla paced her small house, becoming more anxious every passing minute.
"Lord not again. Please not again" she had called Gavin several times. she called the hospital, she called his assistant all of whom hadn't heard from Gavin in s hours. He left no itinerary and he wasn't scheduled for surgery for two more days. He normally had consultations tomorrow but his assistant said he'd cancelled all consults for the next few days. His phone now just went directly to voicemail.

Nyla looked at the autumn tablescape she had created with orange votives, an acorn filled vase with brightly colored fall colored flowers and gold lined placemats with matching napkin rings sat on the square burgundy plates. She had stopped at home goods and went a little crazy but she wanted tonight's dinner to be perfect. She sipped a cup of her warm ,apple cider hoping it would settle her stomach. She had thrown up from the nervousness. If he didn't come by within the next hour she was going to drive by his house to check if he was alright.

At 12:30 Nyla got into her car and drove to Gavin's house. She knocked a few times hard and then took out the key that he had given her, she'd never used it.. They rarely came to his house they were always together. Her heart sped up unsure of what she would find when she pushed the door open.
"Gavin! Gavin!" She called out. Nyla passed the kitchen and noticed the half finished pizza as well as the open Jack Daniels black label on the counter. This was very unlike Gavin. She continued into the family room where Gavin lay sprawled out face down his shirt was off and even though she was thoroughly pissed off by him completely blowing her off yet she smiled. She was so fucking happy to see him, in one piece, for now she thought. As the weight of worry was lifted she became concerned over what events had brought Gavin to this point. In the five months they had been together he had never mentioned loosing a patient, her eyes swept over him and she hoped this was not how he handled that situation. Nyla slowly backed out of the room, he had made it clear he wanted his space so she would respect that. With one more angry glance at the half eaten food as she walked out she went to her car and made her way home.

Two days later Nyla stood in line getting donuts and danishes for group, oh and a yogurt parfait because Ellis was on another diet .
"That will be $14.65" the pretty Asian girl said
Nyla took out 20.00 and put the change in the tip jar. She still hadn't heard from Gavin but truth is she had been waiting for this to happen. She was foolish to think this relationship would turn out any differently. She was or going to put herself through this again, she had made due for three years and she would continue on that course. She rushed to the elevator "Could you hold that for me" she yelled her wares jostling when she ran not wanting to hold them up.
"Would you press 3 please. Thanks" she said breathlessly
Stepping out of the elevator and into her real life she entered group and sat down and became emerged in her peers trials and triumphs.



Gavin leaned against the wall watching Nyla through the small window in the door. He was nervous to say the least, his anger had dissipated some and he was willing to listen and explain his actions. He watched as she hugged a few people goodbye and swing her bag over her shoulder. As the faces filed out of the room Gavin only searched for one, his heart leaped when her frame filled the doorway. She has on a chunky burnt orange sweater that looked amazing next to her skin, her skinny dark blue jeans and brown equestrian boots completed the outfit. She looked amazing and he wanted to strip every stitch of clothing off her body, but first they had to talk.

Nyla noticed Gavin immediately and stiffened when he reached for her forearm to bring her closer to him. "What is it Gavin? " she didn't bother to even look up at him. In her boots he was much taller than her so she stared at his white lab coat.
"Nyla look at me baby" he said huskily
"Baby, are you serious right now. I ...this was a mistake . I knew this is how it would end but I still went for it. You just disappear for three days, not even a fucking call, smoke signal, something to say "hey dog I'm ok. Fuck Gavin just leave me be." She said as the first tears started to fall.
"I'm not doing this here, I'm not " she said turning around. She rushed past a few of her friends from group and took the stairs almost falling with her tear blurred vision.
She hopped onto her car and guzzled the bottle of water she always left there, willing her nerves to calm. She wouldn't drive this upset, after loosing her family she was very conscientious on the road.

Gavin felt like shit all day. He went home to the condo that he didn't even like anymore and got ready. Ready for what he didn't know, Nyla was so hurt, he had expected pissed that he could work with but hurt fucked him up completely . He rang Nyla's door bell and he heard her call out. "Coming"
"Not yet but hopefully soon" he muttered.
Nyla threw open the door without looking through the peephole expecting the tantalizing scents of Thai food she had ordered for dinner not a devastatingly handsome Gavin in a blue cashmere sweater with dark jeans and boots. No wonder she couldn't think straight look at him, as she drank him in she noticed his lip was cut and he had a black eye.
"What happened to you ?"
"Can I come I so we can discuss it?"
"So now there is something to talk about, because Gavin you weren't really about the talking for the past couple of days."
"Your right. I wanted to cool off before I saw you. " he said pushing past her entering the house.
"We'll while you were cooling off, I was just starting to heat up. How could you just disappear without a word? Didn't you think I would worry? Do I mean that little to you?”
"Before I answer any of your questions answer just one of mine"
"When did you realize that Trent was the man you slept with two years ago?"
Nyla paled "The same night at dinner" she answered
"Why didn't you say something to me then?"
"What happened to your eye?” she asked though she knew the answer.
"Trent and I had to work out a few things."
"What happened, when did you guys get into it. I thought your game wasn't till the end of the week. " she rushed out to overwhelmed to even take a breath.
"Obviously we decided to go head to head a little early."
"This is what I was trying to avoid. He's your friend for a really long time. I don't know why he couldn't just let it go"
"I don't want to talk about Trent I want to talk about you and your omissions.
Why did you lie to me." He asked angrily
"I didn't lie to you. "
"The hell you didn't, I asked you point blank if there was something to Trent's behavior that night and you denied ever knowing him before that night" Gavin yelled he was becoming angrier with her .
"Yes I lied! Fuck I was finally happy and I wanted it to last, just once I wanted it to last so I lied. " she yelled.
"So you had me sit at dinner while he made those ridiculous statements while I sat back looking like a complete asshole"
"Is that what this about your bruised pride?" she said snidely
"No it's having my friend, ex and girlfriend lying to me or omitting details like we are having dinner with the guy I fucked." He yelled
" I told you where's and why that happened and I didn't have to. I don't ask you about your past because it's none of my business. So don't you fucking judge me now.
You have no right."
"Are you sure that's the reason you don't ask? Because I'm starting to think that you just don't give a shit. That's why you don't tell me anything unless I rip it out of you, why I can't meet your sister no matter how convenient I make it. there is always going to be something with you.”

Nyla started pacing staring at the ceiling holding her head, she spoke to herself rather than to Gavin.
“Why did you have to find out? I was happy. Dammit, I didn't even want to love you it just happened and I couldn't stop it.” She took in a shaky breath and looked at Gavin “Tell me, how do tell the man your in love with , that by the way your basketball buddy well he was my fuck buddy but don't worry it was only once and I was so wasted I didn't even recognize him at first. God I kept telling him to let it go and move on but that asshole wouldn't stop calling. He just wasn't going to rest until we broke up " Nyla explained

Gavin watched Nyla in front of her couch and then sit and put her face in her hands.
"I was going to tell you, just before you got called in I was going to tell you."
"You gotta know how convenient that sounds Nyla"
"I know" she said softly, staring off at the blank tv screen trying to hold off the avalanche of tears .






Chapter End Notes:

Please  review and tell me if your happy with the direction I took the story. I am eager for your responses.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.