Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Gavin gets a visit from his past. Gavin gets what he wants but things don't go as planned.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Gavin looked out the widow and reclined further into his chair hands clasped behind his head and overly smug smile affixed on his handsome face. He and Nyla had been spending almost every night together. He finally felt like she was really letting him in, finally and he was thrilled but she was still very apprehensive about him meeting her family, namely her sister. So that's why he decided to surprise Nyla by inviting her sister for Christmas. He was surprised that she didn't know who he was; it had been a few months surely that was adequate time to mention a significant other. However instead of getting upset he took the bull by the horns and introduced himself and had a pretty informative chat with Tina. He couldn't believe how nice she was or how excited she was to come down and spend the holidays with them. He knew Nyla had her reasons for keeping their relationship estranged, but family was family. They were sisters and she needed let bygones be and work it out. And knowing Nyla she would avoid the problem until it became unbearable then tackle it when it was a mountain instead of a molehill. He adored her but he wasn't completely oblivious to her flaws. So in this instance he knew best he just hoped she saw it that way.

He decided to get down to business and started reviewing his next patients chart. He was reviewing a particularly difficult case involving a 16 year old young man who had already had two previous surgeries that proved ineffective. He was his last resort and Gavin took that responsibility very seriously. While he mapped out his plan of attack a knock on the door went unnoticed. He jumped startled when he felt vaguely familiar overpowering scent, unwanted hands caressed his face. He hated that he zoned out like that when he worked through surgeries, it was effective because he normally ran through multiple scenarios in his head and his forethought had saved more than one life but it was definitely unnerving to completely remove yourself from your surroundings and find yourself being mauled.

"Hi darling, It's been too long have you missed me?"

"No, maybe you should ask Trent the same question."

“Don’t be jealous. It was a harmless fling"
“Jealous? No. Annoyed? Yes. What are you doing here?
Abagail Wentworth had come to claim her prize, the very handsome, very rich Gavin McKeough . When they parted ways a year ago she was confident he would see that losing her was an egregious error on his part and beg for her forgiveness. Really, look at her she was beautiful, well connected, well-bred the perfect complement to him in looks, station and finance. He was an extremely fortunate man, but did he see that? No. He was always harping on her lack of compassion or how racially insensitive she was. And that wasn’t even true, she had fucked a black guy before, shit she fucked his best friend how's that for equal opportunity. She definitely had fun on her foray to the dark side but she also knew when a jig was up. Obviously by rumors she was hearing Gavin didn't, introducing some black bitch to his family over the Thanksgiving. She had been livid when she found out but cooler heads had prevailed and after a long discussion with her mother she realized what she had to do.

"Abbey. What can I help you with?

"That's a loaded question" she answered uncrossing her pale legs.

"Ok, let me rephrase. What do I need to do to get you out of my office immediately?"

"When you talk like that, I almost believe you don't have feelings for me."

"Go with the feeling" he said while giving her an incredulous look.

"I don't know why you judge me so harshly, I've heard you too are playing slave master but you even brought her to the big house instead of keeping it in the fields like a man of your pedigree should do.

"That’s it! Get out! “Pushing up from his desk abruptly he pierced her with a look of such disgust that a weaker woman would wither. But weak she was not so she smiled
coyly.

"What? Gavin I was just kidding. You never did take to my sense of humor." She said with such practiced innocence that he almost believed her. Almost.

"I see that you’re busy so we will catch up another time. Who knows maybe I’ll meet your Miss Sealy."


A few days later.


The doorbell chimed and Nyla cringed slightly at the tone but kept talking to Gavin's mother about the Christmas day madness and Joan's desire to switch completely to online shopping, when Gavin inserted himself between them.
"Mom can I steal her for a minute, her present is at the door."
Turning to face Nyla he grabbed her hand and pulled her toward the two story entry way. Nyla quickened her pace since he was practically dragging her but just before they reached the foyer he stopped. The thought that a proposal could be just around the bend cause Nyla's palms to sweat. Even though she was more in love than ever she still wasn't ready for marraige just yet.
"Close your eyes" he ordered excitedly.

"How old are we again? OH ok." She said doing as he asked.

He brought her just a few more steps and stepped in front of her with his back turned to his guest.

"Open your eyes baby" he said softly and stepped aside as she did so.
"OH my God. I can't believe your here" Nyla gasped as her eyes filled with tears.
"Hey baby sis. I thought it was past time we spent the holidays together.”

"Nyla, honey is, are you ok with this?" He asked hopeful. Initially when he saw her eyes water he assumed they were tears of joy but considering they had yet to embrace or give each other some type of greeting he was no longer sure.

Nyla was in fog; she averted her eyes from her sister Tina and looked at Gavin. She didn't want to hurt Gavin, it was clear by the look on his face he thought he had provided her with the best Christmas gift although at this point she might have taken the proposal. Nyla decided to act cordial until they returned to her home so she could discuss why this was such an epic fail. She could do this, fake it till you make it or in this case till you make to her driveway because that was the closest this bitch was getting to her house.
"I'm sorry Tina. It's just ...I was really surprised to see you...here...today. But here you are so let's make the best of it. Have you met Gavin's family yet?"

"Of course not. I wouldn't have introduced them without you honey?" Gavin said slightly annoyed that she thought he would be so rude.

"We'll honey, at this point I'm not sure of anything."

Gavin normally liked her sarcasm but he was a little taken aback by the lack of response from either sister. "Let's get going before my mom sends out a search party." He said trying desperately to lighten the mood.

"Joan, Aedan please meet my sister Tina." Nyla said stiffly

Joan looked at Aedan briefly wondering if he noticed the change in the previously animated young woman. Joan quickly walked over to Tina and extended her hand, following her lead Aedan soon did the same.

"It's so nice to meet you"

"Thanks, same here" Tina responded and indeed it was if this was their home. She looked around the expansive family room and the wondered if Gavin had a brother. She’d had her sights on him with their initial contacts but watching how he looked at Nyla it seemed might be too hard to break that up, but she would if she had to. She wasn't leaving without the money to help launch JStars career and by the looks of things these people wouldn't even miss it...much.

Nyla cleared her throat "Excuse me, I'll be right back” she said quickly before making her way out and down a long corridor.

After taking Tina's coat, Joan offered Tina some hot cocoa and the three of them made themselves comfortable.

Gavin was starting to worry. Nyla had been gone for over fifteen minutes; no one mentioned anything but it was the pink elephant on the room. "I'm just going to check on Nyla" he said standing up.
"You can sit back down Nyla is fine. I just needed a moment" she said with a smile. Her demeanor had changed she seemed more relaxed but the smile she gave never touched her eyes. It was a show and for now he would play along.
Nyla sat next to Gavin, across from his parents with Tina at the head of them both.

"So, Tina this was quite a surprise you and Gavin cooked up. How long have you been in town?"
"We'll I've only been here since yesterday and truthfully this was all Gavin's idea. I was just as surprised as you were when he called me a few weeks ago to ask me about this."

"Mmhm I'm sure. Did you have a good flight? “How is Joshua?"

"I did. “She answered with a tight smile.

"So I finally get my payback, tell me all about Nyla growing up." Gavin said smiling and rubbing Nylas’ thigh in a comforting manner.

Tina's eyes dimmed slightly and just as quickly she perked up. "Nyla was a precocious child. Always getting into some trouble or the other, not that my parents ever noticed" she said with a forced laugh.

"Really? I would never have guessed that."

"Nyla's good at keeping secrets. Right Nyla."

"You would know Tina; your recollection always differs to mine.”

"When Nyla was five she decided that she wanted to meet Jack and the beanstalk. So, she climbed up our grandmothers’ big maple tree. That crazy girl had to have climbed 8 feet off the ground when she fell out all of a sudden. Of course I tried to dissuade her. I guess being older I was always more responsible"

Nyla rolled her eyes but said nothing. She fell out of the tree because Tina screamed that Gramps was coming with the switch which wasn't true. It was then in her haste to avoid a spanking did she fall consequently breaking her arm. However, instead of rushing to get help her Tina laughed until she cried causing such a ruckus her grandma came out to see what the commotion was about.

Gavin gave her thigh an affectionate squeeze and kissed the top of her head, pulling her close. “I had a feeling you were a dare devil."

Tina continued with her embarrassing tales of when Nyla first got her period and the mess it made in school and how the popular clique called her Bloody Mary all year to her first heartbreak when Richard Lawrence decided not to take her to prom without informing Nyla.

Nyla smiled blankly and didn't interject that it was Tina who told Richard not to take Nyla a sophomore because she wasn't going to put out. Instead he took Tina. Her parents told her not to be upset since it wasn't technically her prom anyway.


"I sorry to interrupt yet another story of Nyla's unruly youth but I believe my roast is ready. How about we adjourn in the dining room." Joan said clearly annoyed with Tina's antics.

Tina smiled brightly at the older woman" Would you like some help?"

"Yours? No thanks." Joan said. She observed Tina's affronted expression and added
"You’re a guest, I wouldn’t dream of it."

Tina was thrilled she had wanted time alone with Joan to dig for cracks in Nyla and Gavin's relationship that she could exploit but sitting and being catered to worked for her as well. She laughed to herself because she had felt some hostility from Joan but she was probably just being hyper sensitive. The woman obviously enjoyed her company, they all did. Gavin and his family sat riveted as she told them stories of their childhood and teen years. Although It wasn't as enjoyable as usual because Nyla didn't try to refute her claims or give a more accurate account of the stories. She just sat there with that smug smile on her face because yet again she had found a rich man to take care of her while her on and off always had his hand out. JStar ...he would appreciate how far she went to get him the money and they could finally be together.


Gavin listened intently at first and initially thought the slightly embarrassing stories of Nyla's childhood were sweet glimpses into the youth of the woman he adored. But as the evening dragged on he couldn't help but notice that Tina rarely had any funny or non-embarrassing stories of Nyla. She barely spoke of their parents either. He wondered how someone so spiteful could be related to someone so caring. He saw the jealousy in Tina's eyes when she looked at Nyla, what he couldn't figure out was where it was coming from. Nyla never had a bad word to say about her. She actually rarely spoke of her at all. By midafternoon he was more than ready to concede his defeat in this reconciliation and apologize for ruining their first Christmas together by inviting this vile woman into their celebration.



"Are you ready to go?" Gavin asked nuzzling her ear.

"Yes, I'm more than ready."

"Nyla...I'm sorry...I didn't know." He said in a strained voice

"Yeah, but I did and that should have been enough. Let’s go." She said dejectedly

"Tina we are going to be heading out. We will drop you off at the hotel."

"Oh. Ok" Tina said surprised at their early departure and that she hadn't been offered to stay with them.

"Nyla I was hoping we could spend some time together reconnecting as sisters. I've missed you. Mom and dad wouldn't want this."

"Ok, I’ll pick you up from the hotel tomorrow. Maybe we can find some after Christmas sales." Nyla mentioned.

"That sounds good." Tina answered.


Gavin listened behind the door holding the ladies coats but stopped when he heard their conversation not wanting to intrude on their private moment. Maybe there was hope for them after all. Either way he was still upset that he had blemished their first Christmas together with his heavy handedness. It wasn't even his style to do something like this. He just wanted Nyla to see have the same joy he'd felt on Thanksgiving and if he was honest with himself, he wanted her to claim him in front of her family the way he did. Damn, he just wanted her to give him a sign that she was ready to take the relationship to the next level. Instead he had pissed her off and probably put her through the most awkward Christmas on record.








































To be in love with someone.






Chapter End Notes:

Happy New Year! Thank your for reading and commenting. Please continue I appreciate every review good or bad. I plan on having someone edit this story eventually however for now it is probably going to remain pretty raw. I apologize if that takes away from the story.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.