Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 2 Getting to know you, hoping you like me

They pulled up to the Waverly and Nyla wondered why she was so worried. The ride over was filled with conversation, after getting caught humming along to Sarah Barelis they started discussing what types of music the liked. The both like old school hip hop, rock and r&b, but she enjoyed heavy metal and hardcore rap to his surprise. He had recently went to the Train concert and he promised to take her the next time they were in the area because she said her music made her happy .

She smirked at that comment seeing as they would probably never see each other again.

After being seated, they reviewed the menu.
"Do you know what you want yet" Nyla asked as she was still undecided.
“That’s a loaded question “he mumbled
"Pardon" she said giving him an out. He knew she heard him because that pretty pink color had overtaken her neck again.
"I think I'll have a western omelet with potato pancakes."
"mmhmm" she moaned " that sound delicious"
Gavin took in a deep breath and tried to think of his upcoming surgeries to quell the instant hard on he got from her moaning. He could see she had no idea the havoc she was causing on his body with her innocent statements. He was confused by his unnaturally strong reaction to her. She was beautiful and smart but he had dated models and other surgeons before without getting sprung, his reaction to her was unnerving.
She nibbled and pursed her lips in concentration and he fought the urge to kiss her pouty mouth.

Nyla looked up from her menu “I think I'll have an egg white Greek omelet and mixed fruit.
"Trying to impress the good doctor"
Laughingly she said "don't you wish"

"Actually I'm more concerned with impressing you "he said quietly looking at her intently
"Then you have nothing to worry about because you are" she said in an equally hushed tone, leaning forward.
"so how'd you decide on peeds surgery?" cocking her head to the side which gave him a nice view of her slender neck, he watched her pulse accelerate and decided he wanted to lick that spot until she moaned he was so caught up he hadn't realized she had asked him a question. But there she was waiting expectantly for an answer; but to what. "I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention"
“Wow isn't kind of early in our relationship for you to start ignoring me? She quipped
"Trust me I don't think I could ignore you if I wanted to. You must know that you command attention especially mine"
Nyla didn't know what to say to that so she said nothing and asked about work again.
"I chose pediatric surgery because if my sister Milliscent, she died of a heart defect.
"I'm sorry you don't have to continue" Nyla was very nervous with the heaviness of the current conversation and where it could lead.
“No I don't mind, I actually never met her, she would have been my older sister. My parents weren't aware of any history of heart problems in our family so it came as bit of a shock, seeing how effected my mother was even years later caused me to become interested in medicine. Fortunately I have been able to spare quite a few families the heartache that mine went through and for that I'm grateful.
"Shouldn’t they be grateful to Nyla asked you"
I don't see it that way, I'm just doing my job, and these families let me into their lives. The show so much strength and compassion. I'm lucky to meet them at the most trying times in their lives and I try to do what I can to either give their child a normal life or a better quality of life for the time they’re here.
He could see feel the tension coming off her and quickly decided to change the subject.
“What about you, not exactly what I think of when I think graphic artist.”

"What image comes to mind?"
"Honestly, a bespectacled, pocket protector with an unnatural affinity to Halo"
“Well you described me to a tee and I'm almost unbeatable in multi-player mode"

He laughed and liked that she didn't take herself too seriously.
“I checked out your website you’re very good. I was hoping you could do something for the hospital."
"Very clever, throwing business my way won't necessarily increase your odds of a second date" she said jokingly.
He smiled back at her and Nyla heart beat accelerated.
The conversation flowed smoothly and soon the waiter was back with the check and Nyla reached for it and Gavin covered her hand with his the spark of electricity shot through her causing her nipples to tighten and become more pronounced through her shirt. He stroked her hand with his thumb and her breath caught. She looked up at him and his face was taunt as he stared at her aching breasts and then into her eyes.
"Please let me this was supposed to be my way of apologizing for ruining your clothes"she said quickly
" you’re coming was enough,please allow me" he said more assertively
“Ok ehem " she cleared her throat.
He released her hand and she quickly snatched it back and clasped her hands together
under the table.
"We should get going" she said as he took care of the bill. He rose and walked to her table pulling out the chair for her. He touched the small of her back as they walked out and felt the electricity pass between them with such an innocent gesture. He opened the door to the awaiting BMW and shook his head as he walked over to the driver side door.
The drive back was much less comfortable, Gavin was trying to maintain some level of decorum, but Nyla wasn't making it easy. Her perfume and shampoo were slowly killing him, she smelled so good .He could see that she was nervous but the crossing and recrossing her legs but that just called attention to them and he'd decided at their first meeting he wanted them wrapped around his waist, so now it just seemed as she were taunting him.
"I had a really nice time” she said shyly as they pulled up to her house. Nyla was feeling much more timid. However, she heard herself invite him in as if she were having an out of body experience.
"Sure" and got out the car rushing to get her door.
They walked inside her townhouse and she pulled one of the shades up to let in more light." Would you like something to drink she offered?"
"I'll have water please"
"I'll be right back” she padded back to him with bare feet and gave him the bottle and set a glass with some ice cubes on the distressed table. He picked up his glass and put down a coaster under the glass.
"Let’s see what’s on the TV. What do you normally do on the weekend?" Nyla asked
"Well normally I run my errands, go to the gym maybe catch a game. I come from a pretty big Irish family so we get together pretty often. My grandmother still thinks she can dictate our schedule and for the most part she can. What about your family life" Gavin instantly regretted the question, because Nyla smile slipped and she paled.


"It’s just me and my sister but she lives in Canada so ...yeah." He could tell she was skirting the question of her family with her barely there answer but chalked it up to her being cautious about divulging to much information about herself to a practical stranger. "I haven't been doing graphic design for that long, I had a late start in regards to my career, for a while I had other interests.
"Such as?"" again Gavin noticed a bit of evasiveness in her answers.
"I'm a pretty avid runner. I always loved it and I gave it up for a spell but now I'm back. I'm actually training for a triathlon. It’s a little overwhelming I've never tackled something that physically challenging before but I'm excited to try it"
Gavin’s mind started to wander with all sorts of physically challenging things they could do together most included her nude and sprawled out in a hard surface but quickly reigned in his wayward thoughts.

“Do you like to travel?"
“I’ve done a bit"
They had both been to Jamaica, Italy, Greece and Mexico. He was surprised to learn she spoke Spanish fluently and got by in Portuguese. "
I enjoy immersing myself in a culture what better way than thru travel and trying to assimilate by speaking the language. I found that people are pretty forgiving of my blatant disregard for grammar when they see I'm trying. Omg is that really the time it's 2:30, I've completely monopolized your Saturday.”
"Is this you’re not so subtle way of saying I've outstayed my welcome" he said jokingly
“God no. I just hadn't expected...to hold you up so long." she knew that he knew that's not what she wanted to say. She wanted to tell him she hadn't expected to find someone that she enjoyed just being with but held back.
He rose from the chair and picked up the glass to put n the sink.
"Just leave it there" she said rising from the sofa. She followed behind him and admired the view from the back. Hell you could bounce a quarter off that ass.

When they got to the door he turned to her and lifted her face to look at him.
"I would like to see you again...soon. I know we are both pretty busy but I'll make time to see you"
"I'd like that. Thanks again for brunch." she bit her lip and he exhaled sharply pulling her into a tight embrace. He whispered in her ear “I want to kiss you but I can see that you’re not ready, because if I start I might not stop." he kissed her neck and watched as goose bumps broke out on her skin.
“Bye" as he walked out the door
“Bye" she mimicked barely audibly.

Nyla was officially freaked out. She had slept like a baby and woke up with Gavin on the brain. She had wanted him to kiss her and she hoped he would call but he hadn't. She was unsure of dating protocol nowadays but it had been two days so maybe things didn't go as well as she thought. Even if he didn't call she was glad for the experience, he was the first guy she had a date since Greg's death, which was by choice, she'd been asked out plenty from those looking to console, her to those looking to get rich and everyone in between, but she hadn't been ready, and truthfully she still wasn't. So it's probably for the best she thought.

Nyla quickly got dressed for work. She was meeting with a client today at 11 and was hoping to squeeze in a mani-pedi before her meeting. It was times like this she loved that her job was not rigid 9 to 5.
'Ring ring ring' her cell phone went off, sighing thinking it was probably her appointment rescheduling she picked up without checking the caller Id.
"Nyla Rogers speaking"
"Well this is already going better, the last time I rang you cussed me out." he said jokingly
"Gavin, hi, how are you?"
“Better now that I'm talking to you. I was hoping you were free for dinner this Friday." What is it about this woman that brings out my inner cheesiness. Better now that I'm talking to he chided himself.
"Actually I have plans for Friday but Saturday there is a hot air balloon festival that I wanted to check out if you're free."
He was starting to wonder if she was afraid to go out at night with him or if she had some kind of reverse vampirism yet he heard himself answering her affirmatively.
"That sounds like fun. Will we be spectators or will we actually go up"
"How about I surprise you?"
"Ok I look forward to it. I'll see you Saturday at noon."
"See ya then"


Nyla hung up and called a number she hadn't called in ages. She was ashamed to say every time her and Jocelyn met up or had contact it was from Jocelyn's prompting. She was one of the only people that refused to give up on her when she had given up on herself, who loved her when she hated herself. They had been friends for over twenty years. They'd been a part of each other’s proms, weddings, births and tragically death and now Jocelyn's divorce.
"Well will wonders never cease? I almost fainted when I saw the number on my caller Id"
"I know I'm a horrible friend I'm not quite sure why you tolerate me. It sure as hell ain't my stellar personality so it must be my good looks."
“Nope, that ain't it. It's the liqueur you always get the best vintage red and you get invited to the best parties."
“So I know you didn't call just to shoot the shit though I wish you would, so what's up"

"I, I think I met someone "Nyla admitted somewhat begrudged
"Wow, So not what I was expecting to hear. So tell me about his guy that has brought out the elusive Nyla Rogers"
“let’s not get ahead of ourselves it's not like I was in hiding, I just haven't met anyone that piqued my interest"
"Bullshit, lie to yourself but don't lie to me"
“Fine, Gavin that's his name...I don't even know why I'm getting so hung up on this guy it was only one date if you could call it that. I spilled coffee on him and we went to brunch. It's just he asked me out again and I think I could like him and I don't want to fuck this up by doing the same old shit" she said dejectedly.

"Then don’t. You’re the only one who can ensure that . It not like something can just happen you have either put it in motion or go along with it."
"He hasn't even kissed me yet but I want him to, I haven't wanted to kiss another man in years. It doesn't feel the same as with the others, he doesn't feel like a placeholder. That's what’s freaking me out. It feels real; do you think I'm ready for real?"
“You know I can't answer that as well as I know you, you’re the only one who would know that. Will you do something for me"
"Sure"
"Just let go and enjoy the moment."
"I'm gonna try"
"Don’t try. just do ." Jocelyn said
"Jos I'm scared, it may turn out to be nothing but I haven't tried in a long time"
"Stop fretting and enjoy the moment. We are going to the hot air balloon festival."
"That sounds like fun" she said sarcastically.
“I know you rather donate a kidney than get up in a hot air balloon but it's real fun"
"Yeah going in a giant balloon with nothing but steam and the wind sounds like a dream"
"You’re always telling me to get over my fears why don't you take your own advice."
"I’m talking about your fear of living not my fear of dying; I gotta get Trish ready for bed. Want me to call you back when I'm done"
"Nah I'm good. Good night"

The week as usual flew by; Nyla had taken on 2more clients so she was extremely busy. Gavin had called a few times but they once because she was so inundated with work. However they ended up in a three hour conversation that was informative and pleasant, there was no lull which she took as a good sign. During that conversation they, well he had decided that he would pick her up again thought she initially wanted to meet him there. He was definitely not having that. So here it was Saturday morning and she couldn't wait to see him again. She was not going to analyze, she was just going enjoy.

Gavin rang the doorbell and took a cleansing breath. He was nervous about seeing her again. They had spoken on the phone once since their last date and it wasn't for a lack of trying on his part. But she did say she was extremely busy that why she was incommunicado, but damn could she try to pencil him in. Gavin was starting to wonder why he was putting forth so much effort in this woman when she opened the door and unknowingly answered the question.
"Sorry it took me a minute I was upstairs putting on my shoes"
"You look amazing." Gavin took her in, her air was in a curly bun, she had on dark blue cargo shorts with a fitted wonder woman t-shirt and blue and red converse sneakers.
He noticed she really didn't I heavy makeup just more of that gloss that he wanted to kiss off. She looked beautiful and youthful.

He looked gorgeous, which wasn't helping her cause. One of e reasons she didn't engage on too much phone conversation was she didn't need any excuse to push things to a physical level right away and with her attraction to Him it was very possible.
"We match kinda" she said while smiling
He too had on cargos but in khaki, with a fitted white t and white Nike sneakers. Did he have to look good in everything?" Well let's get going” he said offering her his hand. She took it and they walked to the car. He let her in and went round to take his seat.
After putting on their seat belts he turned to her.
"Do you mind instead of the radio I have my playlist but there might be some obscenities?"
She laughed "are you concerned with my delicate sensibilities. I can assure you nothing that comes from that speaker will shock me"
With that said he pressed play and they drove off. He was again pleasantly surprised with her musical tastes; she knew almost every song on his playlist along with artist trivia and gossip.
They drove down for a little over an hour and saw the large welcome banner to the 30 annual balloon festival. As they parked and got out they were given a schedule of the day’s events. Gavin stopped and pulled Nyla to him so they could plan what to do first.
"They have a sky diving aerial show in half hour, wanna see that"
"That sounds good. Have you ever?"
"Ever what" he asked knowing full well what she referred to
"Skydived silly"
“No I haven't, I’ve got a slight phobia of hurling to the earth with nothing but a piece of cloth preventing my demise."
"Dramatic much" she said
"I take it you have. "
"yeah, I was going all the time but it got boring so I quit jumping for a while to see f I could get that old feeling back."
"Do you normally do that"
"What"
"Quit when things lose that new car smell" he was curious about her answer
"No it not the newness I'm after but that adrenalin rush, you know that buzz you get from a great party, skydiving or forget it" she said in a rush her cheeked reddened.
"or what you didn't finish"
"Nothing I forgot "she's said quickly
"Jeez you’re a horrible liar " he smirked
“Well thanks for calling me out on it "
He stopped walking and grabbed her arm."Tell me, I want to know what's going on up here" he said tapping her temple.
Her face suddenly was awash with color "I was thinking about the high you get from really good sex, that utter contentment that comes after you release. Happy now." she said quietly averting her eyes to avoid his heated gaze.
Gavin's eyes were glossed over and heavy, he wasn't prepared for that explanation or his reaction to it. His hand that had been t her temple slid down to cup her pretty face, his head dipped and he kissed her.
Nyla's lips were full and soft, he applied pressure and snaked his tongue out. Nyla's lips parted with a sigh as she wound her arms around his neck. Gavin stroked her back held her bun angling her face to deepen the kiss. At some point during the kiss Gavin had decided to learn every crevice of her mouth, she was that good and from the little moan that escaped her lips she was feeling the same way. Gavin pulled away first before they got arrested for public indecency. He smiled smugly, as Nyla’s eyes stayed closed for a few seconds after the kiss she looked a little dazed her lips slightly parted she licked them and touched her fingers to her mouth. Gavin found the action peculiar yet endearing.
He grabbed her hand and pulled her towards the food vendors. "How about we get something to eat."
Lacing her hands with his "that’s a good idea" and smiled at him.
He had to get away from this woman, she wasn't doing anything suggestive, shit she seemed closed off but he was falling for her.
"ok listen good doctor don't judge me" with that she turned to the cashier and ordered a corn dog with funnel cake and a water, cause you have to stay hydrated. Gavin had no choice than to laugh at her crazy logic.
He ordered a turkey burger and French fries. They took their order and sat at one of the few available picnics tables. He watched as she took a bite of her mustard covered corn dog and then put it down to bite the funnel cake. He hadn't started eating because he was so engrossed in watching her. Finally after three bites she noticed she had an audience and lifted her powdered sugar covered mouth “what, why are you staring"
"I've never seen anyone eat like that, normally people eat desert after"
"Yeah well that's for the birds. Suppose I’m full after this corn dog then I didn't get to enjoy my funnel cake."
"Well you could always buy one later"
"I don’t assume there will be a later" she said staring out past him. Gavin was sure they weren't talking about funnel cake anymore.











Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.