Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Nyla is back!! However things are not falling into place quite the way everyone expected.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Dr. Langston walked over to Gavin and the rest of the waiting family. "Gavin is there somewhere we can go to speak privately."

Gavin was grateful he was sitting because with Dr. Langstons stoic expression and somber tone he was certain that whatever he said would leave him weak in the knees.

"No it's alright whatever you have to say can be said in front of them."

"Ok. Nyla and the baby are ok...for now. As you know we can't predict a seizure since we are limited with what medications we can use because of the baby. Considering all the factors I'd like to hold off on adding another medication until we know for sure that this wasn't a side effect. She is awake now but I must warn you she is disoriented. We haven't mentioned the pregnancy and I wouldn't advise you to either. Let's give her some time to get used the land of the living for springing any permanent life altering changes. Ok." Dr. Langston advised smiling gently to offset the severity of his message. He placed his hand on a Gavin’s weary shoulder giving him a reassuring squeeze before telling him "Follow me."

As they walked side by side Gavin mind drifted to his patients his empathy growing now that is was he who was taking the trek of the unknown. This walk was the longest walk of his life; He took a gander behind him nodding at the restless crowd awaiting his verdict on Nyla's condition. Her real prognosis, they longed to hear that the funny beautiful and endearing woman that they all loved was still here, still with them.

As his shoe butt against the door Gavin inhaled sharply gathering his strength and his wits he needed both in order to make it through today.

He pushed open the white door and entered the room sweat dotted his brow and upper lip and his heart took on a gallop.

Gavin was more nervous now than when he performed his first surgery anxiously he looked towards the bed. His well-worn seat no longer looked comfortable its proximity to the bed left Gavin unhinged, he wanted to be closer still. He had planned to smile at her reassuringly, let her know that he was here and she and the baby would be ok. But his words failed him as her warm brown eyes rest on his weary body. God he had missed her eyes. The deep brown color very few flecks of topaz in their center. Gavin's gait was slow, contrary to his excitement of seeing her conscious. He stood over her lying flat on the hospital gurney and stroked her hair. He had done so a thousand times before while she was in a coma but this time she leaned in to his touch.

"Hi"

"Hi" she croaked out her voice sounding strained and scratchy but recognizable. Gavin let the tone caress his ear and savoring the sound. That was all it took to shatter his resolve. Gavin sank to his knees no longer able to keep him upright. His long fingers grasped for something from falling, reaching behind him he grabbed his trusty chair falling into it he wept.

"Nyla oh God Nyyylla " he wailed his shoulders shaking. Her name a litany on his tongue only interrupted by his own hiccups.

“Gavin it's alright I came back’ her weak voice wouldn’t voice her consolation so she looked to the side and noticed the plastic pitcher.”Water" She whispered because that was the best she could do. It was terrifying seeing him broken like this. His tears ran is if they would never cease.

Finally Gavin stilled and pulled his shirt up wiping his face revealing the smile she'd fought so hard to get back to.

"I'm sorry but that was a long time coming." He said pouring himself something to drink and fishing out some ice chips with a spoon to give Nyla.

"Waa" she began again unsatisfied by the small bit of relief the melting ice gave.

"I know you’re thirsty but you have to just let these melt in your mouth for now."

"How long?" She asked

"It'll melt in a minute. You'll be able to drink soon."

"No how long" she whispered more forcefully.

Gavin blanched realizing what she was really asking, hesitating on whether she could physically or mentally handle the truth. Seeing all the obstacles she had overcome he couldn't find it within himself to lie to her but leery of the truth.

"Not that long" his voice was barely audible. Truthfully he didn't want her, to know all that she had missed.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah I've been here every day so I'm pretty sure." He joked.

“That's good” she grunted roughly. “Gaav just in case I go away again, I love you" she slurred the last part but it meant the world to him that she would use what little energy she had to convey her feelings . A sense of relief cloaked him as he sat with her. He'd grown used to the longing the constant ache that had resided in his chest because he missed her voice, her laugh or her smile. He couldn't believe he fell apart like that and in front of her. It was bad enough he had a meltdown in front of his colleagues now he had another in front of his fiancé. He was dog tired but the thought of leaving her cause a visceral reaction rejecting the idea as it formulated in his mind. Anything that would separate them instinctually felt wrong. So he moved her unencumbered hand then lowered the metal gate to give himself more room situating himself in an all too familiar pose at her side before nodding off himself.


Nyla woke slowly the fog in her mind ebbed at a leisurely pace bringing with it a scattered puzzle of events, thoughts and feelings. Nyla absently played with the silken strands of hair under her fingertips. She found the repetitive motion comforting.

She attempted to get up but the task was more than difficult it was impossible. Her left hand felt around finding a metal bar she grabbed it hoping to gain purchase but found her attempt was futile.

"This might help." murmured her silken mop lifted his head to reveal deep aqua pools filled her vision before being replaced by a small remote. The red button calls the nurse, the blue controls the blinds, the lower portion controls the tv and DVD player."

"Ok" she nodded or she thought she did. Her mind still felt disengaged from her body.

"How are you feeling?"

"My leg hurts and I want to sit up."

"Ok, I can help with all of that." He said rising towering over her since she lay flat. He took the remote pressed the arrow buttons causing her upper torso to rise with the bed frame. He pressed the button for the attending nurse hopefully she could to administer more pain killers.

"Gavin how did I get here? I mea- ahh oh my God! Gavin what is? Is this is a tumor?

“No its definitely not a tumor.”

“Am I…” she couldn’t even fulfill the sentence the notion was preposterous. “How?"

“Well if you don’t remember how to make a baby we have more to discuss than I thought.” He said with a smirk.

“Relax” He rubbed his hands up and down his arms reassuringly. Yes Nyla you are pregnant. Your five months along. Do you remember anything? Did" sighing he began again "did you know before?"



"I ... I don't remember but I don't think so. Is the baby ok?" Nyla head was starting to ache. This didn’t feel like her dream world but it couldn't be real if she was pregnant. It hurt too much to speak and nod find seemed a chore so she just sat there and listened.

"Yes. You’re both doing fine."

"Good. What happened?" She'd play along.

" You were running at you were hit by a car."

"I was running?" She asked disbelievingly. She hated exercise but really hated running. As of late her preference was Zumba or Group yoga. "

"Yes love you were running let’s not worry ourselves with the details." Gavin wished he could forget about the circumstances of Nyla's accident. His nightmares replayed the whole sordid ordeal; the weight of the guilt held him hostage only releasing him to suffer an even more intense pain by watching her in a comatose state.


"But I hate running?" She questioned bewildered.

"Well you'll be a regular track star by the time our physical therapist gets done with you." Dr. Langston said jovially walking into the room. "You gave us a little scare there but you'll recover just fine. You have quite the devoted legion out there." He said pointing out the door.

Nyla's look of confusion grew. She couldn't think of that many people that would be interested in her recovery.

"Now that you are up and at’em we can begin discussing your recuperative process. It will be long but you will continue to have the best care. Dr. Langston informed her.

"Gavin if you'll excuse us I'd like to begin running tests.

"I'm not leaving."

"Well regardless of what your name is I'm only authorizing one person at a time to visit with a Nyla and that won't begin till you leave this room. So it's really your problem to contend with. Dr. Langston said dismissively before attending to Nyla.

He spoke to the other doctor who had quietly observed the exchange. After reviewing her chart and ordering a battery of tests he took his leave.

Gavin watched them leave feeling slighted but observant that there was nothing Dr. Langston could do to fall out of his good graces since he'd saved Nyla and their baby.

"I should let you rest." He said after watching her stave off exhaustion.

"No stay with me." Her voice sounding a little stronger.

"Ok." Gavin nestled himself on four inches of spare bed his arm careful not to jostle her and held her while she slept. Gavin looked down watching her succumb to tiredness and removed himself from her bed.

When he stepped out of Nyla's room, he instantly missed the warm cocooning feeling just her presence brought to his life. His father and mother were up and walking towards him within seconds.

"Well how is she? What took you so long? It's been hours without an update."

"I'm sorry ma. I just needed some time with her alone. She spoke to me..." he said shakily "her voice is strained and she doesn't recall the accident or the baby."

"How's my sister?" Tina asked coming forward to join the group.

"Why you concerned? You only here because you probably thought you'd get money from her life insurance you selfish bitch. But Nyla's a Lot stronger. She's not going nowhere chica. "Jocelyn said angrily.

"Relax ladies I hope you both understand that Nyla can't get worked up right now. If any of you do or say anything to further her distress I'll have you removed from the hospital and banned from visiting." Gavin said looking between the two women and Trent.

"Gavin I would never-" Jocelyn stood indignant at his suggestion."

"Not intentionally but I can't risk them for anyone?"

"You're right. I'm just tired and scared. When I got that call... I ...I'm just glad she's gonna be ok" Jocelyn admitted. "Sorry Tina" she added hastily before sitting back down. She took out her cellphone and began typing a quick message to Nyla's friends in group. It had been extremely difficult on them since they weren't family none of them were able to visit her. Sheila had contacted her via Facebook asking Nyla's where abouts since she had missed group and hadn't returned her calls which was odd. Since then she had been their quasi liaison.


Tina nodded her acquiescence but didn't move back to her seat grasping Gavin's arm she squeezed it to gain his attention he looked dead on his feet. "Can I see her? "

"No"

"For just a second... Please." She implored her eyes shimmering with fresh tears and something foreign Gavin rarely saw when he looked at her. Sincerity.

"Ok but I am by the door. I don't trust you."

"Gavin leave her alone we can't all be saints." Trent said rushing to Tina's defense. He was quiet and tried to not call attention to the fact that he was there considering the contentious relationship but Gavin had no right to talk to Tina that way. They are sisters and he should keep out of family business.

"Trent I suggest you sit down." Gavin said stepping forward aggressively. But Tina jumped in front of them her small body barely providing a barricade. Turning to Trent she shoved him back a little and grabbed his face to look at hers before whispering to him. "He's right. I've done a lot of bad things to my sister and we can't expect everyone to forget that but I can show them that I've changed."

"You don't have to prove yourself to his ass." He hissed harshly.

"But I do have to prove it to myself, quit talking about it and be about it." With that and a quick peck she let him go and followed Gavin into Nyla's room.


Tina walked into the room and went straight towards the bed. She looked exactly the same, what the hell was going on, Turning around to confront Gavin she asked "why doesn't she seem any different. I thought she'd look a little better."

"She looks as beautiful as someone coming out of a five month coma can you insensitive twit. If you only came in her to make disparaging comments then-"

"No I just want to see her look like her old self. This scares me. How will physical therapy go now that she is this far along?"

"We are in no rush. She can heal at her own pace. We will hire a nanny, as well as a nurse for her and the baby. I don't want anything to overwhelm her. "

"Yeah right. She is never going to go for that."

"She will." he stated firmly as if his word were law. Gavin wouldn’t allow anything to harm them again.

"You've clearly gotten too accustomed to my sister being in a com. Wwe will see." She said sarcastically. Turning her attention back to Nyla, Tina reached out and touched her hand ever so gently before rubbing her protruding belly.

"I know you don't believe me but I'm going to do right by her. Maybe it wasn't a coincidence that this happened now, when I happened to be here."

Gavin shook his head and let out a humorless chuckle "Only you could make her coma about you."

"Listen I know that have we have aways to go but you need to deal with your own guilt and quit putting it on me. I don't know what happened but the streets were definitely watching the day Nyla was hit. I’ve eard gossip that there was trouble in paradise. My shoulders are barely broad enough for my baggage I don't need yours." Was her parting shot as she kissed Nylas forehead and exited the room.

Gavin resented that even though he didn't trust her every word she'd spoken towards him was true.




Gavin hated this time the most, late evening when he'd be forced to leave Nyla to rest. Her recouped stion would be slower than normal because of the restrictions due to the pregnancy. The same pregnancy she had yet to inquire about or discuss. Dr. Shuleman her therapist had started sessions with her not that she'd break any confidences but she had mentioned to Dr. Castro the newest addition to the team that it was strange that she had no reaction to waking up five months pregnant. They concluded she must even have known prior to the accident and subconsciously accepted that fact to her current condition.

It was 9pm and he was miserable. As of late his new hobby was house hunting. His eyes grew with interest at the large expanded ranch with high ceilings that filled his tablets screen. It had four bedrooms, formal living and dining as well as a large open kitchen and family room. There were several fireplaces that he debated on with the baby coming but continued looking. The yard was large and held a pool but it needed some updating. He shot a quick email to the realtor expressing interest. Before the accident he had hoped they would custom build a home to raise a family in but things didn't work out that way.

He would show his findings to Nyla when she was up to it. He visited a few open houses on Sundays prior to going to the hospital. Now that Nyla was more alert the roster of visitors had grown substantially. Initially He was worried that so many different people would upset or overwhelm her but it was he who was overwhelmed with the outpouring of support she received. Maybe they would have extended him the same hospitality but he had avoided all contact with the exception of Nyla and later Jocelyn. It was selfish and cruel but he couldn't handle talking to others about her. They spoke as if she were dead, as if he were a fool to hang on. Even some of the doctors felt that way, that's how dr. Castro came to work on Nyla's case. She had replaced dr. When his only suggestions were to pull the plug on his family. Not willing to trudge down that road he refocused on his tablet before the words became blurry from his red sleepy eyes.


Nyla stifled a yawn as her sister Tina busied herself rearranging the newest bouquets of flowers that she'd received. She normally enjoyed them for a day or two then sent them to the long term critical care unit. This was day four and she was trying not to get anxious because it seemed like she'd never escape the hospital. She missed her house, her peace and solitude. “So What are your plans for today?’

“I was planning onhanging with you.”

“All day”

“Yeah why I have a day off and I haven’t had conversation with you in almost half a year excuse me if I want to hang out a bit.” Tina huffed.
“Or are you anxious to get rid of me so Gavin can come visit.”

He rarely stayed if Tina was with her. Opting to catch up on work in his office until she left. Hoever Even Gavin was driving her crazy.

“No. He was here this morning and he’ll probably be back by mid afternoon.”

“Doesn’t he have a job to do? His patients don’t mind?”

“I don’t think he much cares what anyone thinks right now.”

Tina got up and took the remote from Nylas’ hand turning the channel to the Wendy Williams show. Turning the chair she threw her legs over the arm to get more comfortable.

“Lets watch this” she demanded.

“As if I have a choice.” Nyla muttered but decided to sit up with the aid of several pillows and the remote controlled bed. She might as well get a few laughs in before physical therapy started.

As she lost herself in the gossip of the day her thoughts drifted to the part of her recovery that was worrying her most. Her memory. It was Swiss cheese there were large gaps lapses in time and events that she couldn't really piece together. It was unnerving and terrifying to have other people inform you about your life.

Like this pregnancy, she really couldn't recall being pregnant this time. The holes were not big enough to erase Ava but there were little details that seemed like they were on the tip of her tongue and then she'd draw a blank. Unfortunately the one event she wouldn't have minded forgetting she recalled vividly. Their deaths. But then she recalled speaking to Greg at the beach. She remembered Ava helping her with her dress but she was smart enough not to mention those events to Dr. Shuleman or they'd never let her out. In her heart it was real even if she never got to voice it to anyone, in a way she liked having that connection to them both even beyond the grave.

However it wasnt that connection Tina was asking about. "So are you excited about the baby?"


Gavin had opened the door slightly when he heard Tina ask the question he'd been dying to know the answer himself. Instead of walking in he waited with bated breath for Nyla's reply.

"I don't know. This doesn't feel real yet." She answered truthfully. "I just woke up and I'm pregnant. I'd rather not think about it right now."

Gavins face fell at Nyla's response. Maybe she wasn't ready for this, maybe she didn't want a family after all or worse maybe she didn't want a family with him. Pushing the door open he decided not to let his ill begotten information sour his time with her.

"Good morning Tina." He said briskly before stopping in front of Nyla’s bed bending forward to give her a warm kiss before splaying his hand across her abdomen and whispering morning salutations to her bump.

Nyla looked down at his bent head and fought the urge to pull him closer. There was this uneasy feeling that she awoke with. It was heavy and directly linked to Gavin. Sometimes when he looked at her a seed of anger would begin to blossom. The feeling was akin to weeds in an otherwise perfect garden. Nyla s eyes caught a glimmer of the shiny metallic band on her had the large diamond in the center glittering with the sun light.

"When did you propose? I can't recall it." She sighed her disappointment but looked up giving him a wan smile.

Gavins eyes darted around nervously falling to the silent but very present Tina who was pretending to adjust the same flowers since he'd arrived. Tina caught his gaze but continued her task.

"What's wrong Gavin were you and my sissy in the buff when you got down on bended knee or maybe you were already on your knees." She goaded with a chuckle. Her crude humor eliciting a small giggle from Nyla as well.


Irony was a son of a bitch how did he explain that he hadn't proposed. That he had put the ring on her finger after she was admitted in the hospital, the same ring that he practically threw down in anger when he'd walked out on her. So now he would lie to her just as she'd lied to him. That was not the romantic enactment that he was sure Nyla was envisioning when he requested they share their lives together. It sure as hell didn't fit in with the several romantic proposals he had thought of and researched. But could he tell her the truth.

"Honey that story is for another time when we are alone." He said forcing a hint of suggestiveness in his voice to give credence to Tina's musings.

"Oh" Nyla lowered her head to hide the heat on her cheeks. ‘Sounds like her proposal was a sexy one.’

"Well I leave you love birds alone. I'll see you tomorrow Nyla." Tina said while gathering her things.

"She sure does high tail it out of here when you show up."

"There is no love lost between me and your sister but enough about her. How are you two doing?"

"I'm doing pretty good. My leg is still sore and feels pretty useless when I try to put any weight on it. But with a walker I can get around. My therapist Chloe thinks that I can handle pt three times a week for now. She doesn't want to push it with my condition."

"Nyla I wanted to talk to you about something, you should be discharged in the coming week or so."

"Really thank God! I just want to sit on my couch in a silent house for a minute. "

Gavin's face fell. A silent house she didn't seem to wanted him around.

Nyla realized how hurtful her statement sounded. "I didn't mean you it's just that every single day, all day long there are people poking and prodding me. Then when that stops the conveyer belt of visitors’ stars. I'm not ungrateful I'm happy to see everyone and I feel really lucky and loved… and smothered. I know I sound ungrateful I'm just overwhelmed by it all.”

"Including the baby?"

"Especially the baby." She said solemnly.

"That's ok. It'll work out." He said trying in vain to sound upbeat.

"So what have you been up to?"

"Nothing" he said but his tone suggested otherwise. He pulled his tablet out of his messenger bag and began tapping.

"Look at this?"

Nyla's eyes honed in on a large one story house that looked in need of some tlc.

"Uhm it's nice." she really didn't know what he was looking for.

"I want to buy it. I mean I want us to buy it."

"Gavin it's been less than a week can we hold off any major decisions till after I get out of here."

"I'm sorry. You're right I thought it would give you something pleasant to focus on.

“Honestly Gavin I think I have more than enough on my plate for now.” The small tilt of her chin indicated to him the conversation was over but she softened the blow to his ego by making space for him on her bed.





Chapter End Notes:

This has been a doozy to write. My muse is in Bora bora but she left me here. Please enjoy and give me your honest feedback. I appreciate all o fyou who have stuck with this story. There are only two chapters left. I hope to finish them before I start collecting SSI. (I'm 33 yrs old)







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.