Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Nyla didn't pick up the first two times Gavin called; she had every intention of speaking to him but needed a little time to decompress. Her experience with men on an intimate level was minimal even if her sexual experience wasn't. That was another issue all together, should she or shouldn't she divulge just how fucked up she had been. She decided to keep that bit of history to herself, picking up the phone she muttered “no time like the present”. She was about to hang up when she heard his deep timbered voice answer "Hello"
“Hi Gavin, its Nyla how are you"
"I'm good, really good" now that I'm talking to you he amended his thoughts but didn't dare verbalize it.
"I know this is really short notice and I'll understand if you already have plans but would you like to go out to dinner. She asked timidly
"Actually I've had a pretty busy couple of days so I think I was looking forward to just going home."
"OH, ok of course you are busy, I will let you go then."'
Of course he was no longer interested in you , you moron with all you unresolved issues who would be. Nyla was angry with herself for getting her hopes but st least it was early in the game but a part of her mourned for the potential they had.
"Nyla, I never said that I didn't want to see you, I was just hoping you wouldn't mind coming to my house, I don't think you need directions. "He said jokingly

Even though he was kidding Nyla's face heated as she remembered him catching her lurking in front of his building debating whether to talk to him again.
" I am vaguely familiar. What time?"
" How about 6:30"
" Do you like Thai food, I'll pick something up on my way to your house"
"How about I grill us some of the best steaks you've ever had"
"That's tough talk you've seen what a foodie I am are you sure your up to the challenge"
"Don't worry your pretty little head I'm sure I can handle you just fine"
"Alright, I'll see you around 7 bye.
He stared at the phone and for a few moments before paging his assistant.
"Reese can you pick me up some filet mignon and A1 sauce. I'll need you to deliver it o my house by 5:30"
"Ok boss sure thing.

Gavin chopped the avocado and tomatoes for the salad he was making for dinner when the doorbell rang. He quickly washed his hands and went to get the door
He opened the door to see a smiling Nyla leaning on the door frame
"Hi” she said
"Hi" he could barely eke out that salutation, she was bewitching him and he was certain she wasn't aware of it. Her hair was different; it was much longer than normal and straight with loose curls at the end. As usual she was well dressed, in a dark purple satin romper with silver gladiator sandals.
She looked at him with a mixture of nervousness and expectation. The bright smile slipped from her lips and Gavin wondered why.
"Gavin, are you going to let me in" she asked smiling at him sweetly.
"Yes, yes come on in “he said a little more forcefully than he planned. He removed his large body from the door frame and ushered her inside. Gavin wondered if pursuing a woman who turned him into a bumbling idiot was such a good idea but decided it was far too late to back out now.
“Nyla you look beautiful”
Nyla was an attractive woman and she knew it but the way Gavin said it, with such reverence surprised and pleased her.
"Thanks, you’re not too bad yourself" she said trying to break up the in tenseness of the moment.
“How about a tour of the house' I have made quite a few changes that with my chaotic schedule I don't get to show off. Come appease my DIY demon “Walking from room to room listening to Gavin explain the upgrades and horrors of home improvement. He had completely gutted the kitchen and it resembled something out of a magazine because it didn't look well used. Her eyes roved over the Sub Zero fridge, the Viking 8 burner range
that was begging to be properly broken in. The cream and gold granite "you don't normally cook" Nyla stated
"How are you so sure" he asked neither confirming nor denying her observation
"Well your kitchen looks brand spanking new, like you don't actually use it."
“How do you know it not just tidied up because I was expecting company tonight"
"Because the rest of your house looks so lived in and comfortable and this room looks like you ripped it out of Martha Stewart magazine.
Gavin frowned" Lived in is that a nice way of saying messy"
"no definitely not" Nyla answered laughing
"Did you use a decorator because your home really is lovely?"
"Well not a professional my mother kinda took the lead on decorating" he said sheepishly
"There is no reason to be embarrassed, if she had done a bad job then you have a problem because it's not like you can tell her" because Lord knows I can’t tell my mom anything. Did you change your mind, and ordered out because I don't smell anything cooking"
“Don’t get your panties in a twist I promised home cooking and I will deliver. Let's go to the patio. "Passing through a less formal family room they exited to a small paved patio. There was a large custom grill with built in refrigerator and sink and a slim refrigerated wine cellar.
"Would you like some wine?" Gavin asked
"No thanks, I'll have some water if you have it" Nyla saw the question in Gavin's eyes but she wasn't ready to divulge any more painful secrets just yet.
“So how does a guy like you stay single” she asked watching put the steaks on the grill
"Well it’s really not that hard considering how busy I am at working its rough on a new relationship when you can't give as much attention as you'd like to. Women like the idea of dating a doctor but the reality isn't all it that."
"Damn Gavin 'all that' I haven't heard someone say that in the longest you are really showing your age right now. So your single because of your poor time management skill...interesting"
"That is definitely not what I said. I guess I hadn't met anyone that made me want to put in the effort. Things have come pretty easy to me." Grinning” you should know even you couldn't resist me"
“You are a fool" she said laughing at his posturing , she rose from the patio chair and walked over to him placing her hand on his back "Can I help with anything?"
"Yeah, can you grab the salad, I'm almost done here."
Nyla watched as he set the food down on the preset table. He held the hair for her and sat own and plated their food. Nyla took a bite while Gavin looked at her expectantly; a smiled curved her lips "Delicious".

Later that night Nyla sat wrapping her hair and couldn't help but reminisce about how amazing her time with Gavin was. He was a complete gentleman to her chagrin. They had plans to meet again on Saturday night out in NYC. They were going to dinner and Caroline's comedy club afterward. Friday night she and plans for a spa treatment with Sheila. Shit, when did I get a life Nyla thought?

"Gavin, Gavin hold up, where have you been? They keeping you chained to the OR" Trent said only half joking.
"Something likes that. I have been crazy busy and the little free time I do have I choose to spend with someone way cuter than you" Gavin smarted back.
“So it's like that. What happened to bros before hoes" Trent said laughing but suddenly Gavin's face became stern" Relax with that. That died out when we graduated and I can assure you my lady isn't a hoe"
"Wow, you are serious about her already, what happened with you and Abbey. I thought she was a shoe in for the Mrs. Gavin Mckeough position."
“Yeah so did she but I never agreed to that. She was just not for me." Gavin didn't want to tell Trent what a bigot and spoiled Abbey was. Enough about the ladies lets go out Friday, get a few beers. See who can get more girls Orthopedists or Pediatrics"
“You my friend are delusional, Peeds wins every time.”
"We'll see"

Gavin met Trent in front of Poor Billy’s a popular hang out that mixed gourmet quality food with down home charm. He had texted Nyla about his plans since he probably would be able to talk to her before the end of the night, which had become a ritual with them over the last few weeks.
He couldn't believe he was this attached to a woman he hadn't slept with. They hadn't even had an encore of their second date. It was a little frustrating but she was worth the wait. A pretty red headed waitress ushered them to their seats and took their drink order. After an hour another colleague Mitch stopped by with his girlfriend Anna and her friend Kate. The waitress came back and Gavin watched as Trent tried to rap to the young waitress. “So Gia do you work here every weekend. When can you make time for me to give you a checkup?"
To Gavin surprise Gia fell for the tired line hook line and sinker. Gavin chuckled at the young woman's innocence.
"I get off at 11 if you want to wait for me" she said with a flip of her hair.
Gavin was so engrossed in the comedy playing out before him he didn't notice Kate switch seats until she felt her small hand on his thigh.
Gavin jerked at the sudden contact,
"Hi Anna tells me you work in pediatrics, I’m a teacher we both work with kids" she said smiling like it was kismet.
“Yeah will wonders never cease" Gavin replied
"So Gavin what do you do for fun, maybe we can have some fun together." she said pushing her surgically enhanced breasts in his face.
Gavin sighed and a familiar laugh caught his attention. Gavin turned towards the sound and was surprised to see Nyla with her friend Sheila cracking up. Just as Nyla caught his gaze, Barbie aka Kate grabbed his face.
"What are you looking at baby I have everything you need right here." she whispered seductively.
Gavin watched Nyla's smile slip briefly and then just as quickly she turned back to her friend and continued her conversation. Gavin tried extricating himself from Kate’s clutches but the chick was like a octopus her hands were everywhere. "Excuse me I have to go to the men's room."
"Need to relieve a little pressure" Trent said jokingly winking at Kate.
Gavin didn't even respond he just got up and strode to Nyla's table.

Nyla knew he shouldn't be upset hey had not discussed exclusivity it was something had presumed, her mistake. She had not spent much time with Sheila since meeting Gavin and it was one of her only free days as she was a single mother to twin boys. The boys’ father had weekend visitation but came as the wind blew. She was not going to give him the satisfaction of ruining her night out, turning around she got back to their conversation.
She felt his presence before she saw him. “Hi Sheila how are you. Nyla can we talk" he said motioning with his head to the door.
"Actually we were just leaving so I don't think it's a good time. She answered tersely

Sheila sat back as the tension rippled off of the opposing couple. “We can wait if you have to handle something"
"No we can go from what I see Gavin has his hands full. I think she can handle him just fine" she said as she rose from her seat walking right past Gavin arm and arm with Sheila. Gavin watched as a few men watched them leave admiring the view of her sexy back as the shirt split in the back showing off the arch of her back and round backside in tight dark denim and 4 inch heels. He had all but forgotten about his party until an unwanted manicured nail traced his chest." Did you forget about me” she purred.
“I’m trying to" he muttered ‘shit did I say that aloud'
“What”
“I said it would be hard to" he amended not wanting to hurt her feelings.
"Let’s get back to the table" he said as she wrapped her arm around his waist. He waited for Kate o sit and then announced that he was leaving.
“It was fun but I have got a crazy day tomorrow.” After saying his goodbyes he looked back at the table and Kate gave the universal sign for call me then blew him a kiss.
Gavin entire focus was clearing things up with Nyla. He decided not to go over her house, he didn't owe her an explanation but after tonight they had some decisions to make.











Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.