Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This story started out as a creative writing assignment. Forgotten for a time, it came back to me and I realized I wanted to explore it more. This is me exploring. I hope you enjoy the journey...




Author's Chapter Notes:

The cast is set, the only thing left is to tell the story...




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

 

A cool breeze blew across the tops of the trees, the echo of the leaves rustling as a forewarning of an approaching storm. Despite the slight chill in the air, Mallory smiled as she increased her momentum, the hum of the life around her infusing her with more energy. For years, she’d jogged this path and knew it like she knew the back of her hand which made it easier for her to navigate. The twisty path had been a cause of concern for many in her tight knit group of friends but she assured them all that it wasn’t something she couldn’t handle. Unlike most people, she had a keen sense of direction and as she felt the wind shift, she changed her direction, tugging on the leash to get Rufus, her chocolate Labrador, to follow.

Grinning to herself, she increased her speed and reveled in the sensation of the heat of the sun streaming through the tall pines, their aroma tickling her senses. Her routine of running with Rufus had become a constant in her life and something she felt she couldn’t do without. It gave her a sort of peace. When disturbed, she felt the call of this tranquility and relished the solitude away from the fast pace and high expectations of the city. It was out here that she could be herself. To say her life had been a rollercoaster was an understatement. Her father left her mother when Mallory was just three years old and at nineteen, she suffered a traumatic incident that altered the trajectory of her future.  From the moment Mallory held a pencil, she wanted to be an artist. The passion to create flooded her veins and influenced every decision she made. That was until that fateful night.

  Memories of the past soon faded as she heard the trickling of a brook on her right, confirming the direction she had traveled. Slowing her pace, she pulled at Rufus’ leash to get him to stop completely. Taking in deep breaths, she bent at the waist and placed her hands on her knees in her attempt to slow her pulse. Running invigorated her and enabled her to face the day to day difficulties that populated her life. She was twenty-four and stable, yet she yearned for something more. Even though she had friends, she always felt as if she were alone, something she knew wasn’t going to change anytime soon. Most men wanted the total package, and while she knew she wasn’t lacking in looks or intelligence, there was one aspect of her life that was always the deal breaker.

Exhaling heavily, she stood upright and then tugged on Rufus’ leash once more, a soft smile easing over her lips. As another gentle breeze blew against her skin, she started off on a trot and then increased her pace, once again running at full speed. The sound of the alarm on her watch prompted her to go faster, realizing she only had an hour left to get home, shower and get down to the studio before the business day started. The hands of time continued to turn, and Mallory knew full well she would have to keep turning with them.

 

Rory McInnis gazed forlornly out of the tinted glass of the limousine as it glided through the city, his thoughts on anything but what his partner and best friend, Tim, was saying. After a long and drawn out discussion, Rory determined that his new headquarters would have to be a place ripe for growth and he thought North Carolina was the perfect place for that.  Considered a median between the north and the south, North Carolina represented what his company, his vision was all about. He’d built his corporation from the ground up with the financial backing of the family’s enormous wealth yet he knew the value of a fighting chance. Whenever possible, he wanted to give people the chances that he never got and watch them flourish. After the economic downturn that had most of the financial world in upheaval, Rory knew what he had to do. And relocating the jewel of his empire to a quaint North Carolina town, as fool hardy as Tim thought it was, was just the thing to keep his legacy growing.

At thirty nine, Rory understood that time was running out and had all but given up on the notion of a normal life filled with a happy marriage and children.  Rory never had a hard time with scoring a date; his dark curly hair and warm chocolate brown eyes and lean body had tempted many a beautiful woman, but he never put much stock in committing to them. His good looks, money, and status were the attractant to most of the females he associated with but none of them took the time to uncover who he really was.  Most of his family comprised of first generation Irish immigrants who struggled just to survive. He was a hard worker and determined. His passion was reserved for his quest for success and although he had needs to be met, he never wasted his time in believing that the women in his circle believed in him. His mistress would always be success and he excelled at keeping his women separate from his destiny. Even though he wouldn’t have a family legacy to leave, his impact on the world would be felt.

The same couldn’t be said for his brother; at fifteen years younger, Declan had the carefree life that Rory aspired to but could never shuck his responsibilities for. Both were expected to strive for excellence and while Rory chose to capitalize on their advantages of the family wealth and attend an Ivy League college, Declan decided to go to a state college and experience all the decadence of college life. Even though they were brothers, they couldn’t be more opposite.  Rory envied Declan because of his freedom but ultimately, he knew that what he was building would be worth the sacrifice.

Sacrifice happiness for a secure future.

Yeah, right.

Exhaling heavily, Rory brought his attention back to the conversation and frowned as he caught Tim’s last word, “Wait a minute, back up. Did you just say that Valerie will be at the studio opening? What in the world for? She has no interest in the arts, especially what she calls ‘hick crap’.”

Tim grinned and shook his head as he thumbed through the tablet, “She’s confirmed with the owner of the gallery, Rory. I think she wants to make an impression.” Eyeing his friend, he snickered, “On you the most. She’s circling, my friend. There’s blood in the water. She heard about your split with Imogene.”

Rory ran his hands through his silky curls and groaned, “I got rid of Imogene because she was becoming too needy; she wanted a commitment, I just wanted a no strings attached sex romp. I told her that before we even started.”

“And still the same, she fell for you- just like Valerie.” Tim turned to Rory more and narrowed his brow, “You know how potent you are to women; they see your wealth, your good looks, and your eternally single status and think ‘I’m going to be the one who snags him’. They allow their heart to get in the way.”

“Which is their first mistake,” Rory answered adroitly as he straightened the cuffs of his shirt. It wasn’t his fault what his women thought about their relationships, especially after he laid down the ground rules. Every lady knew that tangling with Rory McInnis was bad for the heart. He couldn’t help the power he held over them, only welcomed them to his bed and then kicked them out when they   became more of a liability than a benefit. They all saw it coming and that reasoning made it easier for Rory to sleep at night.

Tim watched his best friend for a moment before returning his gaze to the tablet, confirming Rory’s schedule for the day. His brow lifted as he exhaled lightly, “Some little lady is going to knock you off of your high horse, Rory, and you won’t see it coming.”

Rory chuckled darkly and glanced out at the passing scenery, “Yeah, well, when that day comes, Tim, I’ll gladly hand you the reigns of my empire. Now, tell me, what’s on the agenda today?”

“We have to stop by A Sketch in Time; Meredith forgot to confirm one last artist. She says that this lady has the goods and the following. The locals love her.” Tim typed a brief message on the tablet before glancing up at Rory, “Meredith thinks it will be good for your reputation to do a little footwork.”

“My mother also believes that she’ll marry me off before I hit forty,” Rory quipped as he brought a glass of juice to his lips. Chuckling, he continued, “I’m sorry to hurt her feelings but…”

The limo stopped abruptly, causing Rory to spill the juice on his suit. Glaring at the partition angrily, he pressed a button and roared, “JAKE! What the hell is your problem?”

Holding on to the wheel tightly, Jake watched the young woman cross the street with a large brown dog, “A pedestrian, and sir. She just stepped out in front of me. I just barely missed her.”

Rory attempted to wipe at the mess and exhaled warily, “You didn’t hit the poor woman, did you, Jake. That’s the last thing I need.”

“No, no sir. She’s fine. She made it across the street.”

Rory depressed another button and looked out of the window, spotting a young woman with a dog in tow. From his vantage point, he could make out her slim body, long hair, and caramel skin tone and felt an odd sense of familiarity. As the car crept forward, he kept his eyes on her retreating figure, his anger nearly boiling over. He had a meeting to get to after confirming the artist and didn’t see how he would have time to change. Just as they passed her completely, he frowned, yelling, “HEY! YOU! Are you blind?!”

 The limo sped away before the woman turned around and even though Rory was fuming, he still couldn’t shake the feeling of knowing her. Chalking it up to happenstance, Rory exhaled heavily as he pressed the button once more, his thoughts shifting quickly. As long as she hadn’t gotten hurt, he considered the issue done. He had more important things to do.

**

Entering the studio, Mallory heard the familiar tinkling of the bell situated above the door and smiled as Rufus led her to the counter.  The aroma of fresh pastry filled the air as she moved toward the back, as the faint sounds of a soft voice cursing met her ears. The angry rock music blaring from the speakers told Mallory one thing: the resident artist was worried.

Depositing her bag and tying Rufus’ leash, Mallory made her way toward the work room, pausing at the stereo system, her finger tips running over the controls. Already irritated by some douche bag driver, Mallory groaned as the throbbing sensation in her temples began to grow. Turning the music down, she winced and called out, “Jen! It’s too early for this!”

Emerging from the back room, Jennifer Moore wiped her hands and scowled in Mallory’s direction as she made her way to her friend’s side. Since meeting in college, Jen and Mallory had been inseparable; both were art students and both knew how it felt to be considered outsiders. Living in a conservative town like Greenfield, North Carolina hadn’t been kind to Jennifer; already hindered by her mixed heritage, she also faced opposition because she chose to buck the norm and fall in love with a woman. She hadn’t been very far into her freshman year at North Carolina University before she’d been targeted. Deciding an invisible life was better than suffering bouts of public humiliation; Jen regulated herself to the shadows and was surprised to find Mallory there with her.

They had become fast friends and looking back, Jen couldn’t say she regretted a moment of their burgeoning relationship. Mallory had stood by her through heartbreak after heartbreak, an attempted sexual assault by a group of drunken frat boys, and the death of her parents. Jen couldn’t imagine her life without her best friend, which is why as soon as they both graduated with honors, Jen used the money from her parent’s death to start her own studio and brought Mallory along.

A Sketch in Time had been a joint venture from the beginning and after a couple of years of a rocky start, it was now flourishing. With Mallory’s help, Jen’s pieces were starting to fly off the shelves and  now with the addition of a spot in the art showcase sponsored by the insanely handsome billionaire, Rory McInnis, Jen knew it would only be a matter of time before they both reaped the benefits.

Tossing the rag down, Jen took a seat on a stool and watched as Mallory navigated the work area, her slim fingers lightly tracing over the surface. Jen was always awestruck at how deft her friend’s touch had been and how she overcame the impossible to reach her dreams. Even though Mallory wasn’t working on anything at the moment, Jen was sure that it was only a matter of motivation. Artists worked on motivational demand and Jen knew the moment Mallory found her motivation once again, she would create beautiful pieces.

Reaching for a crepe, Jen sighed, “I broke up with Gina last night. She said that she wanted a chance to find herself. After three years, Mal, three years and she want to find her inner self.” Taking a bite, she continued, “She’s seriously fucked with my motivational flow, you know? And it couldn’t have come at a worst time. I’ve got to produce this piece for the showcase and now, my creativity’s in the shitter.”

Mallory turned toward Jen and reached for her arm, squeezing it, “You’ll find your motivation again, Jen. As for Gina, it’s her loss. I mean, have you looked at yourself in the mirror? You’re hot and you know it, girl.”

Jen laughed and grasped Mallory’s hand in hers, squeezing it lightly, “Only you would think that and you’re a sweetheart for thinking that.” Exhaling heavily, Jen dropped her hand, “That’s the least of my worries; Mr. McInnis himself is on his way in to confirm my piece and I’ve got next to nothing. I’m totally screwed, Mallory.”

Mallory frowned and stood slowly, “You give up too easily, Jennifer. Just show him your portfolio and leave the disasters in the making out of sight.” Mallory laughed as Jen swatted at her arm playfully and then turned back to the table, reaching for a cup. When she didn’t grab it, she frowned as her hands moved quicker, “Did you move my mug, Jen?”

Getting up, Jennifer went to the cabinet and retrieved the mug, placing it down and taking Mallory’s hands in hers. Looking to her friend, she sighed heavily, “I was still in pity town this morning when I got in. I forgot to set it out.”

“It’s okay, sweetie. I’ll just get a cup of coffee and make my way back out front. What time is Mr. McInnis supposed to arrive?”

The tinkling of the bell above the door drew their attention and Jen groaned, “Apparently right now.” Panic seized her and she felt her heart thrumming in her chest, “Can you distract them for a minute? Show them around a little while I get my portfolio together?”

Mallory took Jen’s hands into hers and chuckled lightly, “Slow down, Jen.  Things are going to be alright. Go get yourself together; I’ll handle Mr. McInnis.”

When Jen left, Mallory made her way to the front, hearing two men talking among themselves, their voices barely above a whisper. As she got closer, she paused slightly, recognizing the deep baritone voice that exuded power. Her heart pulsated in her chest as she took a deep breath and exhaled heavily, resuming her steps. It had been five years, but it seemed like yesterday. She remembered easily, the day that Rory McInnis had humiliated her and changed her life forever.

 Mallory’s feet began to move once more and she plastered a smile on her face as she came to the counter. She had to set aside her past hurts and focus; Jen’s livelihood predicated on her spot in the showcase. Pulling herself up by her bootstraps, she shook away the lingering doubts, forcing the painful memories away. Judging by the distance of sound, Mallory suspected they were inspecting the pieces on display.  After a moment, she was ready to face the men. Feeling around for her cane, she grinned as she wrapped her hands around it and flicked her wrist, extending the cane. 

Making her way toward the men, she cleared her throat and smiled more, “Good morning, gentlemen. I see you have great taste. Those pieces are some of Ms. Moore’s more recent works.” Having memorized the layout of the studio, Mallory knew, just by the positioning of the men, what works of art surrounded them. Walking with a bit of confidence, she continued, “You have to admire the way Ms. Moore manipulates the colors. They’re so expressive, don’t you think?”

Rory stared at the portrait and nodded, “She’s got talent, that’s for sure.” Turning around fully, he took in the sight of the young woman with the cane and glanced to Tim, feeling somewhat awkward.  The presence of the cane threw him somewhat, leading to a very long stretch of silence.

Mallory sensed the tension in the air and laughed as she extended her hand, realizing that Rory hadn’t recognized her, “Don’t mind the cane, I promise, it won’t get in the way. Mallory Ruskin. I work with Ms. Moore.”

Rory narrowed his brow at the mention of the young woman’s name as he took her hand, shocked by the warmth that flowed from her soft skin. He took a closer look and the realization finally dawned on him and his hand slowed until he’d stopped completely.  The memories came fast and furious and he forced himself to relinquish her hand. Panic began to filter through his entire body as he stood back, unaware of Tim’s confused glare.

It couldn’t be…could it? Could this be the same woman?

Tim cleared his throat and stepped in between the two, instantly feeling the awkward tension, “Ah…Ms. Ruskin, we dropped by to confirm Ms. Moore for the art showcase that Mr. McInnis is sponsoring. We were assured that she’d have a piece to show.”

Mallory nodded and slid the cane to her right, “Yes, of course. If you follow me, I’ll take you to a finished piece.”

Tim glanced to Rory and frowned, shoving his shoulder roughly, “Snap out of it, Rory. We’ve got a packed schedule as it is.”

Pulled out of the momentary lull, Rory faced Tim with a confused expression, asking, “What did you say?”

“I said let’s get a move on it, our schedule’s filling up by the second. Let’s get this done so we can move on.”

Rory smoothed his hand over his suit and straightened his tie, resisting the urge to do it again. In moments where he’d felt his control slipping, he battled with his OCD and surely, a ghost from his past would trigger those obsessive traits all over again.

Tim walked slightly ahead of him, only turning to make sure he hadn’t lost his best friend.  Rory could see the concern in his eyes and shook his head dismissively; the last thing he was going to do was to let a past mistake ruin his day.

Then why did he suddenly find himself wanting to touch her hand again?

Mallory could sense that they were no longer following her and bit her lip, hoping she wasn’t screwing Jen’s chance at more exposure. She hadn’t figured she’d ever see Rory again, much less that he’d have sole bearing on her friend’s livelihood but it is where she now found herself. Truth be told, she wasn’t sure as to what she expected of him; the last time she saw him, she could actually see and the last image that burned into her brain was of his angry visage.

Why am I freaking out about this?  He’s the one who should be quaking in his thousand dollar loafers.

Rory was the reason why she’d lost her footing in life, why she was now dependent on others for the simplicities of life. Rory McInnis was the reason why she had to bury her dreams and settle for just a sliver of the hopes she’d had for herself.

No, she shouldn’t have been the one trembling but she couldn’t help it. God save her but her heart ached at the close proximity she shared with the man who had both given and taken her hope. She wanted to cry because she knew that even after five years; Rory McInnis wasn’t the least bit remorseful for his part in the tragedy that cost her the ability to see and broke her heart.

This was not going to be good.

 

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.