Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:


This is just a preview of the chapter to show I'm still working on it. I am also considering self-publishing this work in the near future. I don't now if it is publishable material though.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.



***
http://25.media.tumblr.com/20f3bad294ca513332587d0ab2722c80/tumblr_mtahvuoHHK1s8mrifo1_500.jpg


Chapter 16

I was an early riser. It was a habit I picked growing up, waking early to study before sunrise. I'd been waking up recently to study game coding books.

Normally, I was the first one up wherever I was, which was why it surprised me when I didn't find Henry in bed with me. As tired as he'd made me, my sleep wasn't completely sound. I'd woken up constantly throughout the night. I was restless, but each time when I woke up and found that his arms were still wrapped around me, his legs still tangled with mine, I felt a level of consistency that I wasn't particularly used to and would fall back to sleep.

George never liked to cuddle. I'd always known the reason but wouldn't fully acknowledge why. He'd 'tried' the first few nights, then like in most relationships, he got comfortable and stopped caring. If I knew what a pain it had been for him to cuddle with me, I would have rather he never even bothered.

I sighed, annoyed with myself for allowing George to occupy my thoughts first thing in the morning. I just knew had he not been the only most heartbreaking relationship I'd ever had, I wouldn't be comparing the only other close male interaction I'd ever had to him.

When I tried to sit up, I winced at the surprising twinge in my gut. Oh god. How deep had he gone? A violent blush bloomed on my face as I held my stomach. I tried to stay focused because thinking about him was turning me on again. I sat up and surveyed his room one more time. It was still neat save our articles of clothing strewn across the floor. Thoughts of George were pushed out of my mind as Henry's shirt brought so many memories. I was filled with an inexplicable feeling that made my shoulders hike up as I smiled. I rounded my knees up and hugged them, trying to contain this feeling I couldn't understand--the sight of a t-shirt had never made me so overwhelmingly happy.

Plopping back on the mattress, I retraced everything that happened last night. The words that reigned most in mind were 'I'll take care of you', sending a distinct feeling racing through me. Once again, instead of bringing me unmitigated joy, I was left feeling conflicted. I wanted to believe those words, but this was just a one night stand, right? There were no strings. How could you take care of someone you weren't attached to?

To be fair, we were in the heat of the moment. People said crazy things when they were lost in the throes.

Not wanting to overstay my visit or allow myself to fall for him--I don't know why at that point, I was still telling myself that I hadn't--I dragged myself out of bed, surprised by how sore I was. Jesus. The mild pain brought so many vivid memories I helplessly blushed again.

I started putting my clothes on. Honestly my heart was not in it. I didn't want to leave. As cold and as emotionless as this house could be, I didn't want to leave because it had Henry written all over it. But my mind just wouldn't let me stay. I felt uncomfortable and unsure now that it was no longer dark. I looked down at my body and ignored the feeling of shame that tried to edge its way in. I wouldn't allow it.

Something made me look out at the oceanic view upon the wide windows. The tide was no longer high, the soft waves were still ever so ethereal and beautiful with the most wonderful shade of greenish blue. It was the brightest day with a greyed sky. The weather just seemed so 'Henry'-like, inviting yet still mysterious enough to keep me wanting more. I wanted to spend the day with him but…

Sighing heavily, as I bent to pick up my skirt, I noticed the glass-like digital clock by the nightstand for the first time and nearly screamed. It was a quarter to 11. I couldn't remember the last time I'd woken up this late. I hastily pulled my skirt up to my waist, not even bothering to tuck in my shirt. Snatching my purse from the floor, I grabbed my shoes and hurried out of the room.

As I came down the stairs, holding the glass railing, I could hear Henry moving around while talking, and wondered for a second if someone was around. The person he was speaking to was obviously female. The voice sounded muffled with static, letting me know he was on a phone call with the speaker on. As I descend the steps, it wasn't long before a heavenly aroma struck my nose and made my stomach growl. My mouth watered. Whatever he was cooking, I wanted it. I couldn't stay and eat though, wouldn't that mean something? Then I abruptly remembered that he was the one who dropped me off.

Muttering a curse, I set my shoes on the step, sat on the step, and dug my phone out of my purse. I was trying to mind my own business but the voice from the kitchen piqued my interest too much. When Henry spoke, one just wanted to listen. I was temporarily disrupted from Googling taxi cabs on my phone to listen.

"So you spoke to Mom, yeah?" Henry asked. My toes curled at the rough voice and I blushed, my heart rate quickening as I remembered him swearing to me that I was going to come as he touched me intimately. Oh my god I couldn't do anything without remembering something he did or said. This 'Henry Walker Effect' was going to be a grueling, long one.

"Yes. In Paris. Enjoying her birthday," The female responded.

I was shocked. Is that why he had the number '4' tattooed on him? Today was the 4th. Must've been her birthday. His devotion for his mother was very clear and endearing.

"As she should," Henry murmured.

"You know you're kind of mad about it," the voice teased.

"Not mad just, eh.Wish she were here."

"To meet your new bird?"

I sat there confused, wondering what the hell a bird was. I didn't think Henry had a pet bird and I sure as hell hoped that wasn't in reference to some of his, well, 'birds'.

"She is not my bird…" Henry said, slightly defensive. Damn right he better defend me, if that's who he was referring to.

"You were talking about her an awful lot earlier. What's her name again? Val-Heroine?" The caller went into fits of laughter as I sat there glowering at whoever she was. I guessed that was his sister but I didn't know. How did that Val-Heroine moniker spread so fast among his friends. Ben must have had a pretty big mouth.

"Will you guys let go of that? Her name is Valerie and she's a really nice girl."

I couldn't help grinning.

"Henry, you say everyone is nice. That's just you. Always trying to find the good in people."

"No. Trust me. She is different. She's not the type of girl I normally date."

My heart started racing. Date. Were we dating? Oh god. I don't know. What made him say that? Why was it suddenly so terrifying for me to be dating someone? Well, he didn't say we were dating, so...

"She's not a model, for one."

Because of my rash insecurities, my initial, most natural reaction was to feel offended. Yeah, I was no model, but I had to get a hold of myself.

No thinking the worst, I remembered from therapy. Maybe he literally meant I was not a model. I hadn't checked into Henry's history much with remarkable self control, but judging by his last girlfriend, maybe he did have a knack to date models and the caller's next comment alluded to it.

"I have to see this to believe it."

"I'm not that bad," Henry said laughingly, the sound of a sizzling pan loudening.

"Henry, it's known that you and Ben are notorious for only dating models. You date nothing else but."

"That's all I'm surrounded by," he lamely defended and the laughing tone in his voice revealed that even he knew that was a stretch.

"Right. So how did you meet her?"

"Through Peter. She's a software developer."

The pride in his voice was unexpected and made me feel warm inside. It actually made me feel some pride too.

"Uh, how the hell did you manage that?"

"I haven't managed anything really. We're still getting to know each other. I don't know where it's going. Shit!!"

"What?"

"Oh nothing. I nearly burnt the chicken. I really hope she likes these."

The sound of hope in his voice made me smile and I felt guilty that I was so ready to leave. I thought that's how the rules went? If there were no strings attached and if I didn't want him to think that I wanted anything, I was supposed to leave, right?

But he was cooking for me. I tried not to think of the fact that George had done the same thing after our first night. Then once he'd 'trapped' me, it had all changed... Fuck George. It was July 4th weekend and I was in the vicinity of a man that I was attracted to in every sense of the word. I don't care how irresponsible this was. Hell, it wasn't even irresponsible. We were not making any rash decisions or promises to each other.

I was going to enjoy this weekend. I was going to have Henry Walker as long as he'd let me have him.

"Save some for me too, will yah?" the caller pleaded.

"Of course. 50,000 pounds for one taco."

She groaned in vexation. "Always a bother. Ah well." She suddenly started speaking hurriedly. "I got to go. Check in time. See you in a bit."

"Don't forget to call a cab alright?" Henry asked haltingly and the caller burst out laughing.

"I can't believe this! Mom is going to love this! This is the first time you've actually let one of your many whores come before me. She must have super powers. I have to meet her."

"You will soon. I think you'll like her. And she is not a whore…" I could hear the smile in his voice.

"I'll be the judge of that. You say that all the time and that's never the case. Okay they're hurrying me. Love you, bye!"

The call got disconnected and I sat there staring ahead of me, my heart still pounding loud at my ears. What  followed next was Louis Armstrong's What a Wonderful World lightly playing. Soon Henry was singing along, his voice contrasting with Mr. Armstrong's strong voice, a gentle smooth sound that made me smile instantly. It shouldn't have been a surprise that Henry had a beautiful voice but it was.

The house no longer felt untouched. I felt very at home and the sound of Henry's voice was very comforting. Without another thought, I stashed my phone back in my purse and picked up my shoes. I went back up the steps to the room and shed my clothes. Spontaneously, I picked up his shirt and wore it. It fit me snugly, as opposed to how it hang off of Henry, and I was reminded of my weight, but as I regarded my reflection in the mirror, I like how I looked in it.

Pulling it down my hips  more, I shyly went back down the stairs, no longer feeling as anxious. A rock song was now playing and I peeked over the wall to sneak looks at Henry. He turned around once to pick up some peppers he'd cut on a cutting board. The movement was so sudden he caught me off guard and saw me. I'm not sure what made me hide back behind the wall. My heart was racing a hundred miles a minute. Why was I so nervous? Like I hadn't already bore myself to him the last night.

"Valerie?"

I jumped and pressed my back against the wall, as if trying to merge with it so that I could hide from him.



TBC.






Chapter End Notes:

I will post the full chapter in a few days. Please give me your honest feedback on publishing.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.