Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Ashayam = beloved




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


"I will be direct," Sarek said. "This afternoon I learned from Dr. McCoy that I have a previously undiagnosed heart defect. As you know he is an accomplished xenobiologist; he explained that my condition can be healed with a simple surgical procedure. I have asked to perform the surgery to due to the present shortage of Vulcan doctors. There are others on New Vulcan with greater need than I. This surgery requires a transfusion, and I have a rare blood type. Dr. McCoy attempted to find a donor match in our medical databases, but the most readily available donor is my son, Spock."

Nyota looked at Spock, who stood silently next to his father; Spock looked up from the floor and into her eyes.

Good of you.

Yes.

"The transfusion requires a great deal of blood; the procedure may put Spock at some risk."

Nyota's eyes widened. She truly wanted Sarek to be healed, but the thought of Spock becoming ill - if there were no donor matches, then no one could help Spock if -

Her hands trembled; she covered them with a fold of her skirt.

"Following the transfusion and surgery, each of us will enter into a healing trance for at least a full day in Standard time, perhaps longer. We will begin the trance at the hospital and be safely transported here. Although we cannot be certain of the outcome, we expect this sequence of events to be uneventful. I have asked Dr. McCoy to conduct both the transfusion and the surgery later this afternoon."

Nyota and Scotty gasped; Sulu and Jim stared.

"In the event that I do not survive, I have made the necessary arrangements with Starfleet," Spock said. Nyota stared at him, her eyes filling with tears.

Why didn't you tell me when we were alone?

I desired to inform everyone at the same time in order to avoid any misunderstanding.

Do you misunderstand me? I cannot bear the thought of losing you.

Spock's vision seemed to sharpen then, as he saw tears leaving dark, damp steaks down the front of Nyota's dress.

Ashayam, I am sorry - he crossed the room and embraced her.

An awkward, somber silence hung over the room.

"Please, everyone," McCoy said, "there's no reason to worry just yet. This planet's hospital is fairly new, and so it's full of new, functioning equipment. I'd feel all right being operated on here myself. I've got plenty of trained personnel to work with."

Jim tried to sound optimistic. "Things will probably turn out well. Obviously, Nyota's going to need our support, and Len could use a bit too. I know we're all going to be under armed guard for a few more days, but we can get through this as a team. Sarek, sir, I'm glad that there's a solution to your problem and I wish you the best possible result. Spock, I respect the sacrifice you're making. You'd better get well though. Who's going to keep me in line on the bridge?"

"I believe that Nyota could manage, as she tolerates little nonsense from anyone. Dr. McCoy is equally insistent upon proper behavior. Please Nyota, do not cry. You see how we attempt to 'lighten the situation', to use the colloquial term."

"I know, I can't help it - I want Sarek to be safe, and you to come through the transfusion safely."

"If it's any comfort, Ny, large folks like Spock often have a little more blood to spare," McCoy said. "Barring any complications he recover quickly."

Spock tried to send Nyota a sense of reassurance through their bond as she held his hand. There was something he was concealing from her; perhaps overly clinical details of the medical procedures? It concerned his health, but which aspect of his health was unclear.

Sulu and Scotty were speaking to her then, and Sarek too, and she accepted their good wishes with a smile she did not feel. Over and over again she berated herself for not showing enough concern for Sarek; it was selfish to cry only over her husband. She spoke to Sarek quietly, admitting her fears for him, but he insisted that there was little reason to worry. Nyota gratefully accepted his efforts to comfort her, and then excused herself to contact her family.

...

Sarek sequestered himself in his office for an hour to complete some final work-related tasks and record messages for his household staff. Spock assisted him, and they completed their work quickly.

"Father, I would like you to consider one more thing before we depart for the hospital. I understand that you have the ability to make final recommendations for a particular economic and trade policy committee."

"Yes, that is correct. Is there someone you want to recommend?"

"Not precisely. I wish to discuss two men I overheard discussing Nyota and myself during the diplomatic reception. Both mocked my impure blood and, to quote, my 'sexual proclivities' with regard to human women, particularly Nyota."

Sarek's eyes narrowed, and he grew absolutely still. "Indeed?"

"Nyota also overheard some of the remarks and left the area without being discovered. It is good that she did so, because the discussion grew coarser, with allegations that humans from the United States of Africa are uncivilized. It is my understanding that both of these men seek greater influence within the commerce and trade divisions of New Vulcan's government."

"I believe that I can easily guess which two men you heard speaking." Sarek named them, and Spock nodded.

"Affirmative. Without considering my own feelings - as you know, I have been insulted throughout my life - I took some time to analyze their efficiency as possible representatives of New Vulcan. It is my opinion that such men cannot work effectively or diplomatically with humans or other races, and their demonstrated lack of caution and propensity to gossip makes each man a security risk. As a member of the review committee tasked with selecting persons for that economic and trade policy committee, I have already cast my vote against those two men. I leave it to you to decide how you will cast your own vote."

"Spock, you know quite well what my vote is likely to be."

"I am not attempting to manipulate you, even though I am your son. I do believe that we share the same values."

"Did you show anger?"

"I confronted them only by saying that I heard what was said. Almost immediately afterward, I encountered Nyota and comforted her. I know quite well that Vulcans do not seek revenge."

"Yet you point out their error to me."

"This is more than an error. It is a matter of a moral and philosophical defect...of prejudice and cruelty."

"We are not in disagreement. However, you do understand my professional need to be fair? Both men are experienced and well educated."

"Well educated? It appears that they have acquired little true learning about either Earth's history or how to relate to other beings."

Sarek favored Spock with a half-smile.

"Amanda would be as pleased with you as I am. It is improper to congratulate oneself, but it appears that the values we taught you 'stuck like glue, through and through', as she would say." The movement of Sarek's hand over the surface of the computer input device was subtle, but Spock saw him swipe, tap, swipe, tap the interactive ballot, and the no vote registered next to each man's image.

"Completed. A final duty before we begin our medical adventure." He looked up at Spock. "You chose to confide in me; five years ago, would you have told me of this?"

"I...no, I would not. I would have borne the burden myself."

"But Nyota made a difference?"

"I think of others more often these days. This does not concern only Nyota and me, or even my mother's memory. The people of New Vulcan would not, ultimately, fare well under a government full of such men. There are Vulcans living here from across the Diaspora with skins darker than that of Nyota and with eyes shaped like those of Sulu. Guest workers are helping us rebuild our society. Collaboration and mutual understanding are logical on New Vulcan and increase the probability of our success. My own vote was, in part, politically motivated."

"Then that is what we shall say to these men, if challenged." Sarek rose from the chair, sighing. "I have invited the more forward-thinking members of the trade committee to meet Nyota a few days from now, after we are both recovered. They wish to speak with her about making personal connections in the United States of Africa, particularly in the region near New Nairobi where she lives. All of this will be dealt with in time. Shall we go?"

...

The Enterprise crewmen accompanied Vulcan father and son to the hospital, along with a tense Nyota. Perhaps their reasons included a desire to escape the manor house for a few hours as well as to show support for their Commanding Officer and the Vulcan statesman who offered them hospitality and protection. The reasons didn't matter much to Nyota.

"I'm just glad that you're here," she told them as they paced the corridors near a dimly lit waiting room. Her eyes were puffy from hours of on-and-off weeping and she felt slightly hoarse. She'd managed to open private communications channels that morning and encode messages to her parents, Auntie 'Chelle, and Gaila. In accordance with Starfleet security regulations, her message to Gaila hadn't mentioned the surgery or the attack on Jim; instead, she'd asked a question about Orion speech patterns and Andorians.

"Easy now, lass. Tears again? Ye know we care about Spock, too. What will he think when he wakes up and sees the lot of us staring at him red-eyed? He'll think we've all been at the whisky." Scotty patted her hand.

"I could use a shot of booze now to calm me down," Nyota sighed. "I'm afraid something will go wrong."

"No drink for you, not with yer low tolerance. We canna know how things will go. Don't predict disaster just yet."

...

Sarek let his hand brush against his son's before the procedure began; he frowned. Spock's skin was unusually hot and dry. He looked at his son sternly.

The room was crowded with medical staff. Speaking in an obscure variation of High Vulcan, he demanded, "When did thee intend to tell me of thy approaching Ponn Farr?"

Spock glanced away. "I wished to help thee by donating blood, but thought thee might say me nay if I told thee. It has not begun. I feel only shadows of it."

"Pon Farr will weaken thee and make thy recovery long."

"I will fight for my recovery. I understand the risk."

"Does thy bondmate know of this?"

"I could not tell her. Already she grieves for us."

"Son, thou art a trial, even when thy actions are well intended. When thou dost awake from thy healing trance I insist that thee inform Nyota and prepare a safe place to be alone with her."

...

Eventually Nyota worried herself into an exhausted sleep on the waiting room couch. After what felt like only minutes, the warm surface beneath her head shifted.

"Spock, angel, stay," she murmured, reaching out for him, but he wasn't in bed and neither was she. Blinking, she looked up at Sulu.

"So that's what he wakes up to every morning? Lucky Spock."

"Oh. Sorry. Your shoulder- I probably drooled on it."

"No problem, it'll dry. The operation's nearly over. The transfusion was fine. Spock's about to go into that deep trance state he told us about, and he wants you."

Nyota pulled a protective smock over her clothes, sterilized her hands, and followed a Vulcan nurse into a recovery room. Spock's long, still form lay on a cot; his bandaged arm rested atop the sheet. As she drew closer she noticed that his skin looked pale and felt clammy beneath her fingers. She stroked his face and his long, elegant hands.

"Sweetheart?"

The bond was weak, but present as he gradually slipped away from full consciousness.

"Ny."

She smiled. Spock disliked nicknames and only used hers teasingly, when they were alone.

"Want kiss."

She pressed her fingers against his. He groaned, dissatisfied.

"Not sterile, honey. It might be bad for you."

"Good for me. Meditate better. Mouth kiss."

Nyota squeezed his hand gently, leaned forward, and Spock got his kiss. His eyes finally closed, and she concentrated on their bond. His consciousness calmed, slowed, grew heavier like a flat stone sinking down into water. Then he was gone, his body steadily righting the imbalance created by the transfusion. He was aware of her, but she knew that he would not answer when she spoke to him. She tried pressing his hand; he did not press back.

"It may be thirty-six Standard hours before he wakes, T'sai Uhura," the Vulcan nurse said. "That is generally considered a minimum for a healing trance."

"Thank you," Nyota said politely. "Tell me - what do Vulcan family members usually do while waiting for a loved one to complete a healing trance?"

Because she was speaking Standard, Nyota used the term loved one without thinking. Perhaps it was too intimate sounding and would seem rude. However, the nurse did not react negatively.

"One might meditate," she replied, "or distract oneself with physical exercise or activities requiring concentration, such as playing the lute. Philosophical essays regarding the nature of illness may be useful to some. I once met a human doctor who described how humans may sit in a group and discuss their emotional responses to the illness of family members. We would not do that, but I can understand that it might prevent loneliness and anxiety."

"Yes, I can imagine," Nyota said. That wasn't something she could do with the Enterprise guys, but she could contact her family. "Thank you. When can he come back to the manor house?"

"Both Spock and Sarek will be transported under guard to the manor house within two hours. Each of them will recuperate using the healing trance at home. Dr. McCoy has already arranged nursing assistance."

...

"Guys, can you go out with security and get some fresh air?" Nyota asked. "You've all been in here too long, you need a break. Ask one of the guards to recommend a safe restaurant for diplomats. "

Jim looked relieved. "I'd like to keep an eye on him, but McCoy says he's fine and there isn't much we can do here. What about you?"

"I'll stay with Spock."

"Keeping vigil? He's not gonna wake up."

"I know, but...I can't leave him." She sighed.

"I get it. We'll see you at the manor house."

It was much easier to start crying again with only Leonard to watch. The doctor had seen plenty of tears, and shed plenty himself. Nyota didn't know why she was still crying, but she couldn't keep her worries for Spock and Sarek under control. Nyota saw that Sarek lay just as still and calm as his son; his own healing trance overcame him so rapidly that she could not speak to him after the surgery ended.

Nyota wandered between the two recovery rooms, wondering what she would do if neither man survived. Eventually she asked Leonard rather crankily why he wasn't taking a break too; he scolded her, she apologized profusely, and sat next to Spock, waiting until the transport stretcher was brought in.

The next several hours felt blurry and indistinct. Jim, Sulu, and Scotty found ways to entertain themselves in the house, while Leonard slept away the exhausting stress of operating on someone he knew and liked.

Spock and Sarek each remained in healing trances in quiet bedrooms under guard. Struggling to sleep alone in their suite, Nyota decided that the bed was too big without Spock. She dressed, and went to sleep on the floor next to her bondmate. The faces of the guards were impassive but she overheard one murmuring something about human devotion and loyalty. It sounded like a compliment. She was too tired to parse the translation.

Cabin fever set in after twenty hours. Sulu and Jim sparred during the day and at night, stripped to the waist. McCoy immersed himself in medical journals at first, and then began asking the cook and Sulu, who had a lifetime personal interest in botany, questions about which of the plants in the gardens could be distilled or fermented. Scotty also pestered the household staff, designing and beginning to construct a new compost bin. Nobody was keeping regular bedtimes or able to perform their usual work routines. Jim was threatening to disassemble one of the transport vehicles and teach himself to put it back together just to keep himself occupied.

Nyota checked on Spock repeatedly, but his physical and spiritual state seemed unchanged, perhaps the best she could hope for. There was little she could do until his restorative trance reached its natural conclusion and he returned to consciousness. The health monitor linked to her communicator would alert her of any changes to Spock or Sarek's condition.

She paced around the small bedroom; it was late morning. She should distract herself, stop brooding for a while. Maybe Sulu would have reached some conclusions about the mysterious Orion man, or Jim and Len would want to chat, or she could help Scotty assemble the compost bins. Everyone had been very kind and supportive, and she could express her gratitude by helping them entertain themselves while they were all being confined and watched for their own good.

Someone tapped softly at the door and slid it open a crack. Sulu peered in, amusement dancing in his eyes.

"Ny", he said quietly, "You've got visitors."

Nyota smoothed her hand across Spock's, then rose and followed Sulu.

"Who?"












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.