Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Characters: Spock, Nyota Uhura, Jim Kirk, Gaila, Scotty, Sulu, McCoy, OCs


Disclaimer: I do not own the characters and do not profit by them.


This story is based (mighty loosely) upon the TOS episode Journey to Babel by D.C. Fontana.


Warnings this chapter: Emo!Spock, mild sexual references, fluff.


Disclaimer: I do not own the characters, all property of Paramount, etc.


Ashayam = Beloved. Vulcan.


Sanoi = Please. Vulcan.


Tal-kam = Dear one. Vulcan.


Might could = 20th/21st c. colloquial expression, common in the Midwest and Southern United States.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Inside a police interrogation room in the capital of New Vulcan

Jim Kirk managed to keep his voice even. "Thelev, the record shows that you have made an indirect threat against the safety of a Federation ship. Tell us where that woman is and give us the autopilot code for the ship and its location."

"And if I don't?" sneered Thelev.

"Don't play with Starfleet. We play fair, but we play hard." Jim nodded at the Vulcan security officers. "Return him to his cell." The Vulcans clamped a movement inhibitor on the Orion's wrist and returned him to the cell, a small room with walls and floor covered in a soft composite surface and a force field across a barred door.

The Enterprise crew moved into crisis mode; everyone had directed their communicators to open secure channels to contact the ship.

Jim's face was grim and the easy Midwestern lilt disappeared from his voice. "Mr. Scott, contact the Enterprise, request all shields up."

"Aye, Captain, and all her phasers are at the ready. I'll use the comm here at the station to speak more easily with Chekov." Scotty ran down the hall, shouting for the Chief of Vulcan security.

"Mr. Sulu, exercise Federation regulations and request a security detachment to accompany you to the main spaceport, look for any ships scheduled to leave the area - ask about women pilots, or any pilots at all. If Thelev used a disguise, his partner may do the same. Stop all outbound flights."

"On it, Captain." Sulu turned to Nyota. "I remember your description of that ship you saw the first day - I looked it up and I think I know what make and model it is." He dashed out of the room.

"Doctor, the usual preparations."

McCoy stepped into the corridor to use his communicator, directing medical staff to ready sickbay for an attack on the ship.

"Lieutenant Uhura, you've already started?"

Nyota nodded at Kirk, waved a quick goodbye to Gaila, and continued relaying Captain's orders to her communications staff on ship, directing them to prepare all personnel for possible attack. She left the room to find Vulcan security staff to help her access satellite feed information monitoring air traffic on New Vulcan.

Jim turned back to the screen as the room emptied; Gaila's image was still visible.

"Captain? We're finished. Unless there's anything else, I'll sign off now." Her voice and facial expression were controlled, flattened. Gaila's smile had attracted him, years ago; it made her seem happy, sexy and carefree.

He'd thought that it would be so easy to enjoy her, and then walk away.

"I'm sorry, Gaila," Jim said.

Her shoulders lifted in a light shrug. "What can we do about it now? It's just the way things are."

Both of them knew that they were not discussing Thelev's interrogation.

"Maybe it shouldn't be that way," Jim said. "I appreciated everything, even if it wasn't obvious."

"Oh."

"It took me a while to understand. Thank you."

"You're welcome. Thank you for defending me. Goodbye, Jim."

Gaila's image vanished.

...

Surrounded by a loose circle of three tall, muscular Vulcans, Nyota returned to Sarek's manor. It would be easier to use one of the offices there, and Nyota didn't want to be far from a possibly feverish Spock.

Scotty joined Sulu at the spaceport, where Scotty charmed disgruntled pilots into understanding the urgent need for a temporary delay of all embarkations and flights. Sulu secured the help of two women spaceport staff, one human and the other a diasporic Vulcan. Both were excited by the break in routine and the presence of appealing human officers, and they commandeered a transport vehicle to drive Sulu and Scotty between several hangars and airstrips. Sulu requested searches of all smaller spacecraft resembling the one Nyota had seen flying overhead during the ill-fated camel trip on her first day. Scotty asked ground crew if they'd seen anything unusual.

Everyone knew of the unregulated flight. No one expressed surprise that the Vulcans had chosen not to shoot down the ship. It had been leaving New Vulcan airspace after all, not entering it, and there had been no obvious sign of an attack. It was only logical.

"Unregulated ships could be flown by smugglers, some other criminal types," Scotty mused. "Could have been Thelev, but, naw, he won't admit it."

"That ship isn't here. We've searched this place well enough." Sulu wiped the sweat from his forehead; the dusty airstrip tarmac reflected the end-of-the-day heat.

The Vulcan woman from spaceport staff offered him a damp cloth from a refrigerated box inside the vehicle, which he gratefully accepted. Not to be outdone, the human woman ran into the hangar and returned with cold drinks for all of them, returning Sulu's smile with a sultry one of her own.

Sulu fought back a sigh. This Federation crisis was badly timed; if he weren't trying to save the Enterprise, he could be enjoying a busy social life on New Vulcan, perhaps starting with that Vulcan waiter's offer to buy him a drink at Lullaby and continuing with the ladies of this spaceport. Transient experiences, yes, but something to remember during long, lonely weeks in deep space.

He opened his communicator and messaged Jim and the crew: Ship not here. Returning to Vulcan police/security station.

Scotty was saying something about flying. "...and so we must borrow or rent a small ship of our own."

"For...?"

"Aye, this small ship is not here, we ken. But the countryside here is full of valleys, rock formations where a rascal could hide a ship."

"New Vulcan has been completely mapped by satellites, but it's doubtful that every valley and mountain range has been completely explored. Nyota said that she and those Vulcan women hid in a cave when the small ship appeared. Some of the caves could be large enough to hide a ship in." Sulu turned to the two women. "Thank you very much for your help. I'll contact the Federation on your behalf."

"Aye, thank ye for all ye've done out here on this hot tarmac, ladies." Scotty winked at the spaceport staff. "Ye have been pure dead brilliant. I appreciate yer gumption."

That Scots talk gets 'em every time, an amused Sulu thought as the human woman winked back at his engineer crewmate and the tips of the Vulcan woman's ears darkened to a pine forest green. I concede to Scotty.

But hours later, when Sulu checked the public channel on his communicator, both spaceport women had discreetly messaged him with their personal contact information. It was just as well that he didn't compare notes with Scotty, who found similar messages from the very same ladies waiting for him. Life on a colony was uncertain; people believed in backup plans.

...

Sarek's Manor House

Sarek was still asleep when Nyota returned to the manor house. Remembering Spock's hot lips pressed against her skin, she requested a private moment with Spock, and the Vulcan nurse left the room, grateful for the break.

The bedsheets rustled; Spock sat up. His eyes seemed larger, darker than usual, and he stared at her intensely. Nyota rushed over and embraced him.

"Oh, beloved, at last! Tal-kam, I'm so glad you're awake, and well." She planted a light kiss on his mouth, made him drink a glass of water. "So much has happened, there's an emergency - just a moment." She moved away from the bed to seal and soundproof the door before discussing Thelev's threat of an attack against the Enterprise.

As Nyota closed the door, a wall of heat moved against her back. Strong arms twined around her waist, and she let out a small, surprised gasp. Spock's thirty-six hours of stillness had almost made her forget how quickly and quietly he moved when hunting something, or someone. The comforting, familiar smell and feel of Spock surrounded her, and his mind gently brushed against hers.

"Mmm, ashayam," he moaned against her neck.

"Honey, did you hear me? The Enterprise is on emergency defense watch."

"Can the emergency wait? I have an urgent need." His teeth sank gently into her neck, and his warm hands moved over her breasts and belly, teasing them, lightly squeezing them; she pressed her hands against the door to keep from falling. She began to tremble from her thighs to her shoulders.

"Quivering, Nyota? You are as eager as I am." A wave of pleasure flowed from Spock across the mental bond as he turned her around, lifted her, and pressed her back against the door, fitting her legs around his waist and moving his hardness against her as he gazed down into her eyes.

Why now? Nyota thought, frustrated, as her hips pushed back against him. She rubbed her face against his neck and impulsively bit him back; Spock made a purring sound, and growled when she licked the bite.

Nyota tried to control herself. I can't take this. I've wanted him for days. I want him inside me so badly right now that I can hardly think, but I can't have him.

Spock kissed her forehead, then her mouth. "Nyota, it has been two months, four weeks, and one day since we enjoyed each other in this position."

"I hate to do this, but Spock, listen to me. The Enterprise may be attacked within the hour."

Spock froze and something about his facial expression came into focus. He closed his eyes and rested his forehead against hers. Stress, fear, and a clear sense that he concealed something from her came across the bond. He lowered her to the ground.

"I apologize; I wish to deal with this emergency immediately. I am not feverish or delirious. The trance did heal me, but when I left it...I have desired you for so many days. My desire is compounded by -" he closed his eyes again, shuddered, and opened them again.

Her lover was gone, and her Commanding Officer returned.

"Spock? What's wrong? What are you trying to tell me?"

"Only that...I am well enough now to help save our ship. Please provide me with a briefing while we return to our quarters. I will prepare myself for duty now."

Nyota tried to calm her breathing as she summarized the events of the past day and a half, speaking in Spanish to guard details from the household staff. After leaving Spock to wash and dress she went to the main part of the house to inform Sarek's staff that Spock had awoken, find something for him to eat, and monitor communications with the Enterprise crew.

Nyota allowed herself one selfish thought. If they did manage to save the Enterprise, absolve Sarek, and catch the mysterious woman with the knife, she was going to search this house for a punching bag. She needed to take out her frustrations - sexual and otherwise - on something that wouldn't hide the truth from her.

...

Vulcan Security / Police Force Station

New Vulcan

Leonard McCoy assisted Jim with communications to the Enterprise after receiving Sulu's message, and then went for a walk in the police station's courtyard - something that seemed to be a common feature of buildings on this hot planet - to think. He picked up a dry branch and idly scraped at it with a pocketknife. Truth serums, torture, and forced confessions were unacceptable within the Federation; abuse of prisoners was considered uncivilized, inhumane. Len understood Jim's frustration with Thelev's refusal to provide information. The thought of losing the Enterprise to some greedy small-time crooks disturbed everyone on the crew.

We, Thelev had said during interrogation. We-I thought that everyone would believe that Sarek had gone mad, and the Federation would focus on Sarek's trial and ignore the Coridian system for a while.

"Hmm," Leonard said aloud. Love and lust made some folks do bad things, such as trying to frame diplomats to cover up crimes, or stab Starfleet captains. He went back inside and asked the security Chief and Jim Kirk to give him a few minutes with Thelev.

...

Baffled, the Orion stared at McCoy as he strolled up to the cell, placed a chair near the edge of the force field, and settled down with a small piece of wood and a pocketknife. McCoy smiled at him and began to form a rough shape from the wood.

Thelev gaped at McCoy. "What madness is this? You carve sticks for some sort of torture?"

McCoy leaned back in his chair. "I'm not really carving; never was much of an artist. I'm just whittling. My Daddy used to do it in the evenings. It's kinda relaxin', you ought to try it yourself some time. Sorry, I forgot." He smiled. "You got a lil' problem with knives. Seems like your lady friend has a knife problem, too. Thangs might go a mite easier for you both if you'd just tell us her name and where to find her."

"I will not betray her," Thelev said. McCoy heard a touch of resignation in his voice.

"Aw, you seem mighty sweet on her. Is she gonna come bail you out?" McCoy asked innocently.

The Orion man fidgeted, but said nothing.

The doctor changed tactics, speaking in a gentle, friendly tone free of sarcasm. "Does she love you back? Treat you right?"

Thelev rubbed his hands together, sighed, and shrugged.

"Ain't that a shame? I'd be willing to show my face and speak up for my ex-wife, even though we're divorced; I wouldn't want her to be all alone, the way you are now." McCoy shook his head. "Goodness gracious. Maybe she's already left the planet on that ship. Lieutenant Sulu has a few questions about that ship for you, by the way. He and the Vulcans worked out a lil' deal for you."

The Orion man glanced up. McCoy smiled indulgently and returned his attention to the little piece of wood.

"What do you know, there's a stubborn knot in this wood. Reminds me of knotty pine in the Carolinas."

"What is this 'deal'?" Thelev asked hesitantly.

McCoy smiled innocently. "Oh, surely you wouldn't be interested. You'd have to tell 'em where the ship is, and disable the autopilot code. Turning in your accomplice might sweeten the deal but you already done told me you don't wanna do that, so..." he shrugged and returned his attention to whittling.

"What do I get in return?"

"Better ask Sulu and Captain Kirk about that. Though I do hear tell," McCoy whispered, leaning a little closer to the force field, "in a case similar to yours, somebody managed to get their attempted murder charges dropped. Whether they might choose to drop the murder attempt against Gav or the murder attempt against Captain Kirk, I cain't tell you; that's up to the court. Think it over. You might could come out of this in less trouble than when you went in."

The doctor stood up and held out the small carved duck, turning it around beneath the harsh prison light. "Not bad, considering how long it's been since I've been near any ducks." He began to walk away.

"Wait!" Thelev shouted. "Call the lieutenant. I will tell him about the ship."

McCoy turned to face him. "You'd best tell him the honest truth."

Thelev scowled, knowing he had little to negotiate with. "I will do what he asks."

McCoy nodded at one of the Vulcan guards, who turned to a communication panel on the wall to contact Sulu. "And the lady?" he asked Thelev.

"She is Vulcan," Thelev snapped. "She will not go easily. Why should I tell you more?"

"Thelev, you're half smart and half stubborn today. Why not make it all smart? Tell us who she is."

"Can you promise that she will be treated well? She is a Vulcan lady of high rank. She loves adventure - that's why she was with me - but she's never been in jail before."

"How she's treated is up to her, whether she surrenders or not. Vulcans believe in justice. All I can do is tell them what you tell me," McCoy finished as Sulu, Scotty, and Jim approached.

Thelev glared at them, and when he spoke his voice was full of resignation. "Very well. I will tell you where to look for her."

"Thanks, Thelev. Let me pass along a bit of advice from my Great-Uncle Cleophus Boatwright. If you wrassle with a pig, it don't matter who wins, because y'all are both going to end up covered in muck...and the pig ain't really going to notice."












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.