Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Characters: Spock, Nyota Uhura, Jim Kirk, Scotty, Sulu, McCoy, OCs


Disclaimer: I do not own the characters and do not profit by them.


This story is based (ever so loosely) upon the TOS episode Journey to Babel by D.C. Fontana.


Warnings this chapter: Emo!Spock, mild sexual reference.


Disclaimer: I do not own the characters, all property of Paramount, etc.



Kroykah = stop. Vulcan.


T'sai = (titled) Lady; formal usage. Vulcan.


Paseo = evening stroll. (Continental) Spanish.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Capital City, New Vulcan

Vulcan Security/Police Headquarters

The Enterprise crew stared at the identity database image of the gently bred Vulcan lady from a good family.

McCoy noted the woman's haughty expression and the expensive-looking jewels she wore. "Well, I'll be. I wouldn't have thought it was someone like her, not by a country mile. No offense, Thelev, but as a smuggler, you don't seem like her, uh, type."

Thelev's face contorted in a humorless smile. "Social class is a game for Orions. I enjoy making high-born ladies beg to enjoy my sexual skills. I was the one played for a fool this time. She promised to break her bond with her husband and create a new bond with me. She told me that I excited her; she liked my strong arms and the thrills I brought to her life. The lady was bored with her husband, who spends little time on New Vulcan - they haven't done a mind meld in years, she said, and she excels at lies and deception," he sneered. "Of course she is a good smuggling partner. She promised to link me up with outcast Vulcans on other planets so I could sell to them. We'd get incredibly rich, she said. Run away together." He shook his head in disgust. "Why did I listen? Two of us against the Federation? It was fated to fail."

Jim said, "It was right of you to confess. Tell us where to find her."

So this was all about greed, lust, and selfishness. Thelev had believed himself to be in love? Jim knew he didn't love anyone enough to kill. He did love his ship, and Starfleet. The Enterprise might even now be in the smaller ship's gun sights; he would do anything to stop the attack, even get attacked with a knife again.

"If she knows of my arrest, she is even now leaving the city, on her way to a private hangar that she rented for my ship, the small flyer," Thelev continued. "Your men wasted their time searching the public spaceport. She carries with her a small ignition and security device - it looks like a metal tube with a screen set into one side, and I programmed it with a code to allow her to start my ship in case of emergency. If the Vulcans will give you a similar device I can program the new device and it will override any attack functions of the ship if she has already left the surface of New Vulcan."

Jim nodded. He'd seen similar devices during Starfleet missions. "This had better be true, and safe, Thelev. No bombs, no tricks, or else you and everyone in your network - and I don't mean just your lady - are going down in flames."

The Orion man's face was bleak. "I do not lie, nor will I trick you. What would I get out of it? No wealth, not now. No woman. I only want to end this sorry stage in my life. "

...

Capital City of New Vulcan

A bridge, downtown

The elegantly dressed Vulcan woman tried to message Thelev through the communication device, only to receive a cryptic message that the device was now under control of New Vulcan security forces. Gasping, she stopped the transport vehicle at the side of the bridge she was crossing, opened the window, and threw the communication device into the river so that her location would not be traced. The message explained why Thelev had not contacted her to report that he had killed that Starfleet Captain, creating confusion within the Federation as she desired.

Somehow, the Orion had failed to follow her directions and most likely been arrested; Vulcan security forces would find her next. It might be too late already. She would have to leave the planet. Sunset was two hours away. She had flown the small ship by herself several times, and was confident in her ability to get herself off planet until things settled down. She would need some supplies first, and more foreign hard currency than she had stowed away at home. If she hurried to the city center now she could obtain both.

...

Vulcan Security/Police Headquarters

Capital City, New Vulcan

After making sure that Sarek was comfortable and well protected, Spock and Nyota left the manor house to join the Enterprise crew. Spock's expression was grim as he drove the transport vehicle; Nyota knew that he was just as worried about the Enterprise as she. The ship housed hundreds of their colleagues, some friends among them, a few not quite friends, but all united to work for the common good, and all at risk of attack by someone angry and callous enough to strike all of them dead on a whim. It was difficult to focus her mind on possible solutions, but she managed. Spock was enthusiastically welcomed by the Enterprise men and regarded with some awe by the Vulcan officers. Spock greeted everyone calmly, his mind and demeanor switched into commanding officer mode. Nyota left the room to confer with Vulcan security about an encrypted open channel communicating with the Enterprise. Spock's eyes followed her despite himself. Long, flowing Vulcan skirts didn't completely deflect attention away from a shapely bottom, juicy thighs or long legs, especially when the fabric draped a certain way.

Spock wore a black civilian shirt, open at the collar. Small, dark green bruises mottled one side of his neck. Scotty glanced up, and the remark he'd been about to make to Spock faded on his lips as he saw the hickey. Apparently Spock and Nyota had had a 'moment'. Danger made some people randy; he'd never have imagined that Spock was one of them.

"Hmm. A change in the wind; it's become rather biting, I'd say," Scotty murmured.

Scotty exchanged a look with Sulu, and said nothing more. Jim was unable to keep silent. Spock seemed a bit tense and distracted; perhaps he hadn't noticed the hickey himself, with all of the pressure they were under. Jim welcomed the distraction as the group waited tensely for a Vulcan security detail to suit up and help them search the busy downtown streets for Thelev's mysterious lady.

"Uh, Spock. You've got something there." He tapped the side of his own neck. Spock narrowed his eyes at him, and raised his fingers to the bruise. Jim saw a hint of horrified embarrassment come over his First Officer's usually placid face as he realized what Jim saw.

Jim lowered his voice. "I know how to make those less obvious. Freeze a metal spoon, and use it to move the blood around a bit. The hickey won't go away immediately, but that might help it fade faster. Not that it matters if we lose the Enterprise, but I'm just sayin'."

Flustered, Spock muttered, "Thank you, Jim. I did not realize it was visible; she usually bites me in places where it does not show - er, excuse me. I will return soon." Spock turned and left the room as Jim stared after him.

Demure little Uhura bites him hard enough to bruise? And he likes it?

Shaking his head, Jim turned back to his crewmen and the Vulcans.

Good thing that Spock's not usually so talkative. There's some stuff I just don't need to know.

...

Spock shut the restroom door behind him; as soon as he was sure that he was alone and unobserved, he leaned against the wall and released a shuddering breath. The hardness at the front of his trousers nearly ached. Closing his eyes, he closed his palm over the bulge and lightly squeezed, once, twice, trying to take the edge off. The touch of his own hand wasn't enough. He wanted her hands, wanted to see her looking into his eyes then down as she unfastened his trousers and whispered to him about how much she wanted him inside her. Even after their years together, her desire still set his nerves and imagination aflame. The gradual approach of his pon farr only sharpened his craving. It was imperative that this matter be resolved safely, and that he could be alone with Nyota within the next few days.

Clearing his mind, he focused on calming his body. Images of the curves of Nyota's nude body surged to the front of his mind, but he pushed them away. Finally the heated feeling left him, and Spock knew that he could rejoin the crew.

Meditation might not be enough next time. If they saved the Enterprise - and even if they didn't - Spock had to convince Nyota to abandon all plans and follow him into the wilderness.

...

Unfortunately for the titled and gently bred Vulcan lady, the impassive Vulcan clerk in the currency exchange calmly stated that all of her financial accounts were frozen. The reasons were unclear. "Classified information withheld by planetary government, T'sai," the woman said emotionlessly. The clerk's eyes shone with curiosity, but she was too polite to ask. There was nothing to do but leave quickly.

Frozen accounts also made it impossible to purchase supplies in the better stores, and there was no time to open a credit account on the spot - using false identification and address information, of course - inside one of the less respectable shops.

She had insufficient time to return home and order a servant to go out and buy the items on her household account - that might be frozen too, and the servants might stupidly botch the order in their nervousness. If only those silly, overpaid creatures would follow her directions exactly and stop being so independent in their thinking, they would learn that there was little reason to be so nervous.

One door after another was closing. It was no matter - she still had her secret savings accounts, an especially fat one at the Bank of Risa. The green gold in the necklaces and bracelets she wore might be sold for a good price on any planet. Next time, she'd seduce someone with greater intelligence than Thelev. The foolish man had not solved the problem of locating a phaser on the nascent underground market of New Vulcan. Not that she knew much about illegal weapons purchases, but money solved most problems and made people agree with you. Simple as he was, the muscular Orion had failed to understand that.

Recently Thelev had become insecure, whining about her lack of affection and requesting proof of her love. Foolish man. I tried to kill for you, twice! I even took you to the gardens to kill Kirk, and rescued you when his crew saved him and you fled. You know I'll do anything for you. Can't you offer me more than sleeping with me and making promises?

The answer to Thelev's wheedling question was a flat no. He had moved enough dilithium to help her accumulate funds to plan a new life for herself, one in which she held political power as a wealthy New Vulcan citizen as well as power on other planets. Now her plans were shattered, and she had no more use for Thelev. She had few regrets. Thelev's body was aesthetically appealing, even though he was Orion. At least he wasn't human.

The thought disgusted her even now, as she hurried away from the bank to find the spot where she'd parked the transit vehicle. For some reason the streets of the capital were unusually busy tonight. Striding forward, she almost collided with a familiar-looking woman.

"Oh! Good evening, la-T'sai".

"T'voria." She barely nodded at the other Vulcan woman, who held the hand of a child on each side and blocked her path. Why did the eccentric woman stare at her so stupidly? It had been a mistake to let the uncouth simpleton anywhere near elevated Vulcan social circles, even with the Vulcan population diminished. The woman did manual labor - sewing clothes, without calling herself a designer or artisan - and T'voria had dared to befriend that Starfleet Communications Officer human who had the audacity to marry Sarek's half-breed son. T'voria was lucky to be acknowledged, but even the lowborn deserved basic politeness. If only she and her brats would get out of the way.

"Nam-tor (there [she] is). Do as Dr. McCoy taught you," T'voria told her children. She used an unfamiliar Standard word. "Whistle."

T'voria and her son pursed their lips, and the little girl placed her fingers in her mouth. All three of them blew air out through their mouths, making high pitched sounds.

Heads turned, and bodies moved hurriedly. The avenue was crowded, full of foreigners, with their strange clothes, smells and skin colors. Confused, the highborn Vulcan lady stopped in her tracks and stared at the petite, brown-skinned woman standing before her.

"T'sai T'ober. As a representative of Starfleet and the Federation, I place you in Federation custody, on charges of conspiracy to attempt murder and a count of attempted murder." Nyota spoke in clipped, formal Vulcan. "Come quietly; we'll make this look dignified, like we're having a conversation."

"What? This is a mistake." Lady T'ober glanced at the passerby around them, seeking an opening in the flow of people and camels. She turned back to Nyota and infused a sweet and insincere tone into her voice, as she had heard humans do. "T'sai Uhura, there has been a mistake." Her eyes moved as she noted the presence of that half-human annoyance, Spock, standing beside Nyota. "Vulcan women of my standing do not commit crimes. Nor do we fight and shoot, like you. If you did more than spread your legs for that half-Vulcan spawn, you would know this. Get out of my way."

Nyota kept her face expressionless and her head high. "Kroykah. See the Vulcan security around us? If they don't take you down then I will, lady. You've been rude to me since the day I got here. Cut the schoolyard stuff and give up."

With a sudden, unfeminine movement, T'ober ducked low and pushed between the couple, catching them off guard and running.

Nyota palmed her phaser, but the broad avenue was full of families, a few elderly Vulcans making an early evening paseo, workers on their way to or from jobs, people pushing food carts, and startled camels. Shooting meant the risk of injuring innocent people. Chaos rippled along the street. Spock, Nyota, several uniformed Vulcans, and the Enterprise crew ran through the crowd in pursuit of T'ober.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.