Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

the rest of the chapter




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Breezy pulled the keys from the ignition of her car and leaned her head back on the head rest. She couldn't believe how this day turned out. She was exhausted, mentally and physically. All she wanted to do was sleep and forget that this day had happened.

She'd been up before the sun rose to begin her journey, running into Paul at the store, dealing with Phoenix, going to the club, seeing Jace for the first time in five years, allowing him to kiss and feel her up, to meeting his wife, Sara. This was the day from hell and she just wanted it over.

How stupid could she be. Of course he was still married. And not only was he still married but he was apparently having another baby.

Breezy felt physically ill. How could she have allowed him to once again use her body for his own selfish gain? She'd been right there with him, falling under his spell. She'd trusted what she saw in his eyes, trusted that he would take care of her. He'd seemed so sincere. His words so sure. But like before, she'd just imagined it all. Imagined that a guy like, Jace Bennett, could possible want someone like her.

He was perfect and so was Sara. Together they made the perfect couple. They probably had perfect little babies. Babies that he would be proud to call his.

She sighed. She wasn't going there. She didn't want to dwell on the past. A past that had nearly destroyed her. A past that only stood to remind her of the pain and heartbreak that Jace and his, now wife, had helped to create.

The pains and hurts in her life were the reasons that she didn't trust easily. Her circle was small and she kept it that way.

She felt the vibration of her phone at her side. She picked it up when she noticed the three missed calls and four text messages. Two each were from Paul. She expected those. He'd been on the stage playing when she'd gotten the hell out of there. But the brief eye contact that they made let her know that he was not pleased. The others were from Brian.

Shit. She'd forgotten to contact Brian when she got in. He was probably half crazy with worry. She smiled at the thought of him pacing the floor. He was worse than a mother. But he was just the kind of friend that she needed when she moved to San Antonio. She needed to call him. But she really wasn't ready to deal with the questions that she knew would follow. He would pick up on her mood and within minutes she's be spilling her guts. She wanted to hold on to her shame for just a little while before she told him everything.

He'd been her rock for the last five years. Her shoulder to cry on and her keeper of secrets. Brian Clark, knew everything about her. Things that even Phoenix didn't know. He was a steel vault. Things went in but they never came out and there was never any judgment. He was her Superman. Always coming to her rescue. But tonight she just wanted to be left alone.

She shot him a quick text telling him that she was sorry for not letting him know she'd made it and that they would talk tomorrow. His immediate response had her laughing out loud. Other than the fact that he'd threatened to kick her ass up a tree for not calling him. He was glad that she'd made it home safely and they would definitely talk on tomorrow.

Grabbing her purse, she exited the car and walked into the house. She was glad that Phoenix was gone with Akino. She didn't want to spend her night eating ice cream and trying to distract her sister from prying.

She entered her room and quickly undress. She found a old t-shirt and pair of shorts in her drawer and slipped them on and climbed into bed. But sleep wouldn't come easy. Her mind kept picturing him and no matter how much she protested, her body still wanted him.

Their summer together had been everything. A fairy tale that she'd believed was real. That he was the one.

She'd met Jace one night when Paul finally convinced her to come hear him play at one of the local Jazz clubs. They were still trying to make a name for themselves back then. Taking gigs all over town. But everywhere they went people fell in love with them and their smooth sound.

For weeks Paul had been telling her that he had someone he wanted her to meet and for weeks she'd been telling him that she didn't want to be a hook up. That when she was ready she'd find her own guy. But all of that fell on deaf ears.

She could remember it like it was yesterday. Jace's cocky smile as he introduced himself, then taking her hand to pull her up on the dance floor. He didn't bother to ask her if she wanted to dance, he must have known that she would shoot him down. He just took her in his arms and held her like his life depended on it. But oddly enough, the feeling was mutual. Their connection was instant. She was just as drawn to him as he was to her. From that moment, until the day she left town, they were inseparable, never spending more than a couple hours away from each other. They'd shared, dreamed and made plans for the future. She'd told him what she really wanted to do with her life, shared with him the kind of person that she really wanted to be. He'd promised to take care of her heart and her.

She'd given her heart and her virginity to the one and only man she had ever loved and in return he'd given her a load of lies. The only promise that he had managed to keep was naming his club after her and she was sure that his wife had no idea why he chose that name because surely it would have been named something different.

All of that was water under the bridge. She'd managed to move past the hurt, well maybe not move past it, but she kept it buried deep enough that it only brought her to tears every once in a while whenever she thought about all that she'd lost.

She let a single tear fall from her eye. She'd cried enough over the years.

 

***

 

Jace paced his office floor back and forth. He couldn't wait until he could lock up and get the hell out of there. He needed to talk to Breezy. Paul was pissed at him and refused to give him her number and Phoenix would probably kick his ass and cast a spell on him if he dared to knock on her door at three o'clock in the morning. He was screwed.

He couldn't get the image, of the hurt he saw on her face, out of his mind. It was the same look he saw the day she walked out of his life. He couldn't understand it then. Or maybe he didn't want to understand it then. He was too upset that she'd just walked away from everything that they had. She didn't give him a chance to explain himself. She just disappeared, which lead him to believe that she never planned on staying with him anyway.

He'd hated her for that. He'd hated her for not believing in him. And he'd hated himself for not doing enough to get her back. She'd walked out and he'd virtually let her go. Yeah, he looked. He questioned everybody under the sun and even contemplated hiring a private investigator to find her and bring her back to him. But then his anger would get the better of him and he'd start back down a destructive path. Then throw a pregnant Sara in the mix and it was utter chaos.

The mistakes from his past were once again threatening his future. But he wouldn't allow it to happen.

Tomorrow he was going to find her and this time he wouldn't be deterred. No one was going to stop him. Not Sara, Paul, Phoenix, not ever Breezy herself was going to stand in the way of him claiming what was rightfully his. And Breezy was his. Always had been and always would be.     






Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading. Please stick with me as we learn more about Breezy and Jace.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.