Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 6

 

Breezy woke to smell of coffee, pancakes and the low hum of voices. Voices meant that Akio was here, so she'd have to get dressed. There'd be no lounging around in her pj's. What good did it do to be home if she couldn't be comfortable? She shook her head. But she liked Akio. He was a sweetheart and he adored her sister, which was all that really mattered, even if it was cramping her Saturday morning routine.

She looked over at the alarm clock and had to do a double take. Screw her morning routine, it was nearly one o'clock in the afternoon. "Shit!"

She quickly scrambled out of bed and hopped in the shower. She hadn't slept past seven in the morning in her life. She was up with the chickens daily. There was always something to do. Even if it had to be done while she was in her pajamas. She didn't do late. She was punctual. The first to arrive and the last to leave. She could sleep when she was dead.

That's how she'd become the Sales and Marketing Executive for The Noah Daniel Group in less than three years. She was driven, determined and she didn't take shit from anyone. Not even Noah Daniel. She was a shark and she knew it. She and her team made their goals every month and the bonus' flowed like water. Failure was never an option for her. She'd been hired to do a job and whether she liked it or not, she delivered. But today she was off her game.

One night in Jace's presence had knocked her for a loop. She'd withdrawn and fallen back into a state of self preservation. She would admit that he'd gotten the better of her last night but it would never happen again. The encounter with his wife was just the kick in the ass that she needed.

When Breezy stepped from her bedroom in a yellow Maxi dress, it was a statement of her mood. Today was going to be a wonderful day. And she was going to do everything in her power to ensure it. Besides she had a wedding to help plan.

 

Phoenix was going to have a fit that she had slept through breakfast but that wouldn't deter her either. Even if she had to stuff ice cream down her throat all day, they were going to have a good day.

Breezy was brought up short by the sight of Paul sitting at her kitchen table with Akio and her sister. He stood upon seeing her and smiled brightly. "Good morning sunshine. Or should I say good afternoon." He said as he looked down at his watch.

"It's definitely afternoon. What are you doing here?"

"Having Phoenix's wonderful pancakes. I saved you a few." He pointed to a short stack sitting on the stove. "It was hard. These use to be my favorite."

She couldn't help but smile. He was deflecting but that was right up her alley. If he could pretend then so could she. She knew that he was here to check up on her after last night and she loved him even more for it. Phoenix, on the other hand, didn't look all that pleased with her tardiness. But she didn't really care. She was hungry and the few pancakes that Paul had left her, were calling her name.

She turned her attention to Akio, who was clearly amused by the whole situation. He was such a cutie. Akio Tran, he had all the swag of a Jet Li, with the smile of a Jackie Chan. She could see why her sister had fallen head over hill for him. "Akio, I see you've met Paul. Sorry I wasn't up to do the introductions myself but I had a really trying day yesterday." She smiled over at Phoenix who narrowed her eyes on her.

"It's okay." He nodded, picked up his news paper and left the room.

"So, what have you three been talking about?"

"You." Phoenix chimed in.

"What about me?" Breezy asked around a mouth full of pancakes.

"I heard that you ran into Jace last night at the club."

Breezy nearly choked on her food and began coughing. Paul ran around the table to her rescue and began patting her on the back. He offered her a drink of water, which she readily took. When she had caught her breath she looked at Paul who as squatting beside her. "You told?"

"Don't look at me like that. I had to tell her something or she wouldn't let me in. Plus she threatened not to feed me. What was a brother to do?" he looked down sheepishly.

He was so hard to resist when he was acting silly.

"You could have had my back." She pushed him on the shoulder.

He shrugged as he stood. "Besides, it's your sister."

She looked over at Phoenix as she began to speak. "I heard that Sara showed up and caused a scene."

Breezy shook her head. "It's not her fault. She shouldn't have to make an appointment to see her husband and then when she walks in, I'm there. I could see how that could be upsetting. No wife should have to put up with that."

"They aren't married." She heard Paul say but couldn't quite comprehend.

"What do you mean, they aren't married. She said she was his wife." Breezy said in shock.

"Ex-wife. They aren't married," Paul said.

Breezy was stunned. She couldn't believe what she was hearing. "But when I asked you in the store…"

"I said that it wasn't my story to tell and it's not. I just think that you should know the truth. They haven't been married for years." Paul said as he sat back down at the table.

"Years? What happened?" Breezy questioned. 

"That's what I was trying to tell you yesterday but you didn't want to talk about it." Phoenix said as she placed her hand over hers.

"But they have a child and she's pregnant again. How could he leave her like that? How could Jace be that cold?"

Paul squatted back down in front of her and took her other hand. "Baby girl, there's a lot that you don't know about and it's not for us to tell you. You're going to have to talk to Jace."

"But Paul, he named the club after me." Breezy said trying to find some understanding in Paul's eyes.

"He did what?" Phoenix yelled. "Are you serious?"

"He's done more than that," Paul whispered under his breath. "Listen Breezy, you just need to talk to him and clear the air. You need this and so does he."

"I'm not sure he wants to talk to me after the way I walked out on him last night." Breezy said. She'd seen the determined look in his eyes. She'd felt the heat in his touch. Oh, he wanted her alright, but it wasn't to talk.

"Oh, trust me, he wants to talk to you too. I'm surprised that he hasn't showed up yet. I fully expected him to be here." Paul said standing and taking his seat back at the table.

Phoenix scoffed. "He's not crazy. The last time he was here, I threatened to put a curse on him and to shrink his dick if he ever came by here again."

"Phoenix!" Breezy yelled.

"Hey it worked." Phoenix shrugged and began cleaning the kitchen.

"Oh, he's crazy alright." Paul said as he leaned back in his chair.

 

***

He was crazy!

He had to be. Jace thought to himself as he sat in his truck in front of Breezy's house.

He'd been sitting out there for the past thirty minutes debating with himself. He nearly winced when he thought about what Phoenix threatened to do to him if he dared to darken her door again. And yet here he was contemplating doing just that.

But what choice did he have?

He need to talk to her and tell her he wasn't married. He could only imagine the thoughts running though her head. She must think him the lowest of the low.

He'd had a fucked up night. He'd only gotten a few hours of restless sleep. Every time he closed his eyes all he see was the utter devastation on her beautiful face when she heard that he had a wife.

He'd spent the entire morning in the gym trying to get himself under control. Every time he had an encounter with Sara, he'd wind up in the gym in a attempt to blow off steam. If he didn't then everyone in his path suffered.

Damn Sara. She was still finding ways to ruin his life. He'd tried to do the right thing by Sara but nothing that he did was ever good enough. She wanted something  that he'd lost long ago to another.

He looked at the house and took a deep breath. It was now or never.

He knew she was there. There were three cars in the driveway. One he recognized as Paul's, the other two he didn't know and the garage door was down so he couldn't see inside to know if there were others. But it didn't matter. He was going to march right up to the door, demand that she talk to him and make her see reason. Curse or no curse he was doing this.

He stepped out of his truck and headed to the door with determined strides. He was a man for god sakes. He was just going to lay down the law. Yep, it was time that she got with the program. He was Jace Bennett. He didn't get nervous and he damn sure didn't get scared and it was high time that one Breezy Collins found out just who he was.

He knocked on the door and waited.

 "I'm not married!" He yelled when it opened.

"And I'm not interested." Stated a Asian man standing just inside the door. "Now that we've got that out of the way, what do you want?"

So much for cool and being the man. Jace was as nervous as a hooker in church and he'd just yelled at a stranger that he wasn't married. He could feel the flush creeping up his cheeks.

Jace shook his head. "I'm sorry, I'm looking for Breezy Collins. Is she here? I'm Jace Bennett."

The man laughed and extended his hand. "Akio Tran, I'm Phoenix's fiancée."

Jace laughed and accepted his hand in a warm hand shake. "Hey, I know you. You met with my caterer last week. We're doing the food for your wedding reception. Small world."

 Akio looked over his shoulder and stepped outside and silently closed the door behind him.

"That's a secret. Phoenix doesn't know who I chose. I wanted to surprise her. I heard that your restaurant was the best."

"Hey man your secrets safe with me. You made a great choice. We'll take great care of you to make you're day special. I'll handle it personally." Jace said.

The fates were smiling down on him. Just to think that he and Breezy's paths were destined to cross anyway. This was the sign that he was waiting on.

"You sure you wanna come in here?" Akio ask conspiratorially.

"I'm sure. I mean, how bad could it be?" Jace laughed, thankful to have a friend on his side since it appeared that Paul was siding with Breezy. Not that he could blame him. Things were pretty messed up last night.

"If I were you, I'd leave my balls in the truck." Akio said

"That bad?" Jace questioned.

"I've never known Phoenix to issue idle threats. But you could get lucky. Come on they're in the kitchen."

Akio opened the door and lead him through the house. He could hear their laugher and conversation as it flowed through the house. He could make out Breezy's laugh and it flowed over him, calming his soul.

"Hey guys, guess who's crazy after all?" Akio stated as they walked into the kitchen.

All eyes turned and landed squarely on him. Maybe Akio was right. This had to be what Daniel felt like because he had just walked into the lion's den.

Phoenix was the first to speak. "Jace Bennett, you have got some balls to walk into my house but don't worry, you won't have them for long." She stood and made her way to him.

Fortunately for him Akio stepped in and grabbed her before she could make good on her threat.

But it was Breezy that he was focused on. She was beautiful sitting there. She was still the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. The muted light from the club and his office didn't do her justice. Seeing her beauty as the natural sunlight poured in on her from the window was a picture of perfection.

He wanted to run his fingertips across every piece of exposed brown skin on her lush body. And he wanted to lick the parts that he knew were hidden beneath that yellow dress.

He groaned inwardly. He had to be the stupidest son of a bitch on the planet. He was actually getting a hard on in the same room as the woman who threatened to do away it.

"No disrespect, Phoenix, I just want to talk to your sister." He said never taking his eyes off Breezy.

When she licked her lips it was almost his undoing.

"It's okay Phoenix. I think that we have a lot to talk about." Breezy said standing and walking over to her sister to put a hand on her shoulder.

"Well, that's my cue." Paul said standing. "I have rounds to make. I'll see you tonight?"

"I'll be there." Breezy said

He wondered what that was about but he'd find out later.

Paul walked by him and whispered in his ear. "Sometimes in life we get second chances. Don't fuck this up." Paul slapped him hard enough on the back that it knocked him a step forward.

It was a warning that he planned on heading. If the fates were kind enough to give him a second chance then he wasn't going to mess it up. But the wariness in her eyes let him know that he was in for a uphill battle. But he was Jace Bennett and everyone knew that what JB wants JB gets.

Now he just had to convince her of that.

 

***

Breezy took a seat at the table. She might as well get comfortable. From the determined look in Jace's eyes, she was going to be there for a long time.

She watched as Phoenix walked from the room, well more like dragged by Akio. She also noticed that exchange between Jace and Paul. At least she knew that she had people in her corner.

Was she ready for this?

Knowing that he wasn't married put a whole new spin on things. At least she could let go of some of the guilt that she felt last night when she thought that she'd been kissing a married man. But that's all the thought that she could give to it. This conversation was about closure and moving on.

Last night was simply a moment of weakness with a familiar stranger and nothing more. She had a life and it didn't include Jace. It was a life that she had built on her own out of the ashes.

She watched him as he ran a nervous hand through his hair. That was something that she had rarely seen. A nervous Jace. He was always so confident, bordering on cocky.

He took a seat at the table across from her. She watched as the corded muscles in his arms flexed as he folded his arms across his broad chest. Damn the man was fine.

Her eyes slowly traveled up his body and landed of his face. He had the face of a fallen angle. In simple terms he was gorgeous. He was the quintessential bad boy. Although he was now the business man that she knew he'd always be, she could still see that other side that he tried to hide. The dominant, no holds barred side that made her inside turn to mush. He was controlled, grounded, his feet set firmly on the ground.

But something was different about him. His beautiful green eyes no longer held that same sparkle that they once had. He looked tired as if life had been hard for him. But they also showed a determination. A determination that she now shared. She wanted to get this over with as soon as possible too.

He cleared his throat and stared her in the eyes. "I'm not married."

"I know. Paul told me today." She saw him physically relax.

"I would never cheat on my wife or any woman for that matter. I never have and I never will."

"Okay." She nodded

"Listen, about last night." He sighed

"Forget about last night. We were both kind of emotional after so much time."

"That's the problem, I can't forget about it."

"It was just a kiss. No big deal." At her words, she saw fire flash in his eyes but it was gone so quickly that maybe she had imagine it.

"Kissing you is always a big deal. Please don't say that again. Your kisses mean everything to me. They always have." He nearly whispered.

"The fact that you aren't married doesn't change anything between us, Jace."

"It changes everything."

"No, it doesn't. I have a life in San Antonio, Texas. The life that I use to have here is no more. I let everything here go. I've moved on."

"Are you seeing someone?" He narrowed his eyes on her.

"I don't see where that's any of your business."  Breezy stood and moved to the counter. She needed to distance herself from his piercing gaze.

She watched him close his eyes then reopen them with an emotion that she couldn't quite read.

"You're right. It's none of my business." He stood and walked over to her. "But we use to be friends right?" He said tilting her head back so that she was forced to look him in the eye.

"Right," she said.

"Then I say let's call a truce. We won't talk anymore about the past or anything that stresses us out and let's just go back to being friends. We use to have some pretty fun times just hanging out."

Breezy smiled as she remembered some of the crazy things that the two of them did before they became a couple. "Yeah we use to have fun."

"I know you've got something planned with Paul tonight but if you could spare me a couple hours, I've got a few things that I'd really like to show you."

Oh hell no. There was no way she was going anyplace with him.

"I don't think that's a good idea. Phoenix may have something for me to do today with her wedding and all coming up."

"There's nothing!" She heard Akio yell.

"Take your time!" Phoenix giggled.

"Traitors!" Breezy yelled back at them. It was obvious that the two of them wanted to be alone.

She turned to face a smiling Jace. "I guess I'm all yours for the next few hours."

"Great. That's just the way I like it." Jace smiled down at her and a little piece of her heart melted.






Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading. I love you guys so much for all your encouragement and kind words. Keep the reviews coming. They truly inspire me. And as promised I will respond to each and every one. You'll never know how much it means to me.

Thanks for the Love in return.

Yevette







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.