Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry for the delay guys but a little thing called life stepped in the way and knocked me off my game. But I'm back and we can see what Breezy and Jace are up to now. Thanks for sticking with me and a special shout out to those that checked up on me.

Much Love to you all,

Yevette

P.S. This isn't some of my best editing but I promise as always to clean it up as I go. So bear with me.

Thanks




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

 

Chapter 7

 

Jace smiled as he helped Breezy into his truck. She was so tiny that she couldn't make the step up. He would have to call the dealership and get them to install a step for her so that she wouldn't have to struggle getting in and out of his truck.

He shook his head as he closed the door and made his way to the driver's side. He was doing it again. He was making plans to change his life for her again. He needed to get a grip.

This wasn't what he was planning when he showed up at her front door this afternoon but as he looked over at her sitting in his truck, it was pretty close to perfect. She was perfect.

With her hair pulled up into a ponytail, she looked even younger than her 27 years. From the moment he'd met the shy, twenty two year old, five years ago, he'd been floored by her natural beauty. All he wanted to do was to wrap her up and never let her go. He'd seen forever in her eyes. He still saw it. He just needed a little time to make her see it too.

"How about a little Fourplay?" He asked her.

"What?" She yelled, turning cold eyes on him.

Jace threw back his head and laughed at her expression. He leaned forward and tapped his radio. "Music Breezy. You know, the jazz group Fourplay, not foreplay." He continued to laugh. "But I can see how it sounded. My bad."

 "Not funny,  Jace Bennett." She reached over and punched him in the arm. But she was smiling so he guessed it was all good.

"Okay, okay. No Fourplay. At least not now." He hoped she picked up on his double meaning. "Ah, how about this?" He scrolled through his music.

He watched her face light up as the first few notes of smooth jazz flowed through the speakers.

"In a Sentimental Mood," she turned soft eyes on him. "I love this song. It's my favorite."

"I know. Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, two of the greatest that ever lived."

"I can't believe that you remembered."

"How could I forget? You use to force me to listen to it all the time." He smiled at the memory.

"Liar. You own all of John Coltrane's music. You know before I met Paul then  you,  I never really listened to Jazz."

"Bite your tongue woman." He playfully scolded. "Jazz is life."

"Well not in the Collins household. My parents were a little different. If the music didn't have a meaning or some sort of symbolism, then it wasn't played. You would have thought that they were at Woodstock." She shook her head. "They were only kids when it happened but you couldn't tell. Aside from Hendrix, they were probably the only other black people that would have wanted to be there. They were so weird." She laughed.

"Ms. Peterson didn't allow anything but Jazz in her house. She said that the rest of the music out there was just noise. That you had to feel jazz in your soul. She taught Paul and I everything we know eabout jazz. It was life to her so it became life to us as well."

"She was a wise woman." She smiled at him fondly. She knew how much he had loved Ms. Peterson. "Now let's get this little field trip of yours on the way. What did you want to show me?"

"Oh yeah, well, I was thinking that I could give you a tour of the city."

"A tour? I was born and raised here you know." She looked at him skeptically.

"Yes, a tour. You haven't been here for years. A lot has changed."

"Oh, really?"

"Just sit back, relax, and let me be your tour guide through the great Red Stick."

She laughed at him. "You were always such a goof. I like this truck it's really nice." She said as she looked around and rubbed her fingers across the leather. "What happened to the '69 Charger? That was such a cool car."

"I grew up."

"But you loved that car more than anything."

He looked at her and smiled. "I loved some things more." He said softly. He wasn't going to take his thoughts there. He had her here with him right now and he wanted this moment more than his next breath.

"Let's get you buckled up." He said as he reached across her to grab the seat belt. He heard her sharp inhalation as he brushed across her nipples. He quickly moved away. "Maybe you should do that."

"Yeah, I think I should." She said as she smoothly slid the seatbelt into place.

He took several deep breaths to get his emotions under control. What he wanted to do was strip her out of that dress and expose her breast to the bright sunlight and feast on the chocolate covered nipples that he knew lay beneath. He looked over at her and hit her with his mega watt panty dropping smile.

"Uh, oh. I know that smile. What on earth have I gotten myself into?" She laughed as she reached for the door.

He hit the locks on the door. "Oh, no you don't. You belong to me for the next few hours." He said as he put the truck in gear and drove off.

He spent the next hour and a half making small talk, taking her all over town and showing her every place that he could think of that had added a coat of paint or put up a new sign in the last five years. It was true some places were going through a renewal, like the area where his club was, the rest were far few and in between. But if he could judge things by the smile on her face, she seemed to be enjoying herself or at least indulging him.

"So tell me about Breezy Collins? What have you been up to these last few years?" He questioned as he briefly looked over at her.

"It's Bre."

"What?"

"Nobody calls me Breezy anymore. It's pretty hard to sit in a board room and be taken seriously with a name like Breezy. So, I shortened it. Bre Collins is a player in corporate world."

He couldn't believe what he was hearing. "But Breezy is your name. Why would you change your name just to fit into some corporate box. You can't be happy with that."

"I'm good at what I do. In fact I'm one of the best. Besides, my boss was the one who suggested I do it and I agreed. I needed a fresh start and shortening my name was the first step."

He was about to lay into her about not needing a fresh start if she would have just stayed here. But he managed to keep his mouth shut. He'd called a truce with her and he knew without a shadow of a doubt that she would cut this outing short and make his ass take her home if he reneged. He definitely didn't want that. He was really enjoying having her around.

"Hey, isn't that the way to Mrs. Peterson's house?" She asked, pulling him from his thoughts. "I'd love to take a look at that old house. Can we go?" She smiled softly at him.

He wasn't even aware that he'd driven that way. It surely wasn't his intentions. He'd been on auto pilot. But she'd asked so sweetly and he found himself nodding automatically.

His heart began to beat erratically as they drew near the house. He just couldn't get his shit together. She was damn near bouncing off the seat with excitement and he was about to pass out. Bringing her here was not a part of his plan.

"I use to love that big old house. It just needed a little TLC. Mrs. Peterson was so nice to me." He listened to her jabber on about the house and Mrs. Peterson. "I use to dream about owning one of those big old houses. She use to tell me about how she would see you walking down the street passed her house early in the morning and coming back by just before sunset."

"Yeah, she saved my life." He whispered. He wasn't sure if she'd heard him or not.

Mrs. Peterson had been his life saver. He must have been around seven years old when he started making the two mile trek from his side of the tracks to where Paul and his family lived. Her house had stood at the half way point between the two neighborhoods. He'd seen her sitting on the porch in her little rocking chair on both passes by. On the third day of his morning walk, she was standing at the edge of her driveway with a breakfast sandwich and a small carton of milk. He didn't know how she knew he was starving to death but she knew. He'd been half afraid to take it from her but her warm brown eyes and soft words let him know that she was a friend. She'd been his angel here on earth. With her honey brown complexion and halo of silver hair she looked every bit the part. Mrs. Peterson had stepped in and done what his drunk of a mother had refused to do. She'd given him a safe place. A home.

He slammed on his brakes when Breezy screamed as the house came into view. "Oh my God!" she yelled. "Don't stop. I want to get closer."

She'd scared the shit out of him. He moved his foot off the brake and allowed the truck to slowly drift to a stop in front of the house.

"Oh my God Jace! Look at it." She said turning bright smiling eyes on him. "It's perfect. It's just the way that I imagined it should be. Wow." She said in awe turning back to look at the house.

"Would you like to see it up close?" He questioned

She turned around quickly to look at him. "No. I'm not snooping around someone's house.  Are you crazy? Things like that don't turn out good. I'm fine sitting right here."

"Come on, where's your sense of adventure?"

She extended her hand to him. "Hi, my name is Breezy Collins. Have we met? I don't do adventure."

He accepted her hand, undid her seat belt and pulled her to him. "I think you do adventure quite well."

He planted a quick kiss on her lips that stunned her momentarily. Hell, it stunned him. But he refused to let her think that it was anything more than a friendly kiss between friends. Although he didn't have any female friends that he had ever kissed, he'd seen her kiss Paul in the same way several times. He wouldn't dwell on it. But his lips were still tingling from the contact.

"Let's go." He opened the door and stepped then he reached back and lifted her out of the truck. He tried to ignore his body's reaction to her as she slid down his length until her feet found purchase on the ground.

He took hold of her hand and they began walking up the long driveway.

"Wow, Jace. It's just the way I pictured it. Just like in The Notebook."

He paused and frowned. "What notebook?"

She turned shocked eyes on him. "Don't tell me that you've never seen The Notebook."

"What notebook? I don't remember you having a notebook."

She looked completely exasperated with him but he had no clue what she was talking about. He couldn't remember ever seeing a notebook.

"The Notebook is a movie. It's called The Notebook. I can't believe you've never seen it. It's only the best love story ever made."

He shook his head. "Sorry, I've never seen it. Chic flicks, really aren't my thing."

"Well that is just unacceptable. I'll have to get if for you."

"So what happens in this story that reminds you of this house." He inquired.

"Well, Alley and Noah are teenagers that are in love and one day, they go to this old house that Noah hopes to buy some day. And as they are walking around the house, Alley begins to tell him about the way she wants their house to look. Well, they break up that summer but he holds on to the dream. It takes him years, but he buys the house and transforms it into the vision that she has for it. And years later, when he finishes the house she sees it in the news paper and comes back to him. It's a beautiful love story."

He was stunned. He didn't know what to say. It was time for them to go. It truly was a mistake bringing her here. He didn't want to scare her off just yet with what he was feeling. He cleared his throat before speaking. "Sounds like a very interesting movie. Maybe one day I'll watch it."

She looked over her shoulder at him and smiled. "You'll love it. I just can't get over how wonderful this old place looks. I wonder who bought it? Maybe I'll go knock on the door and see if we can take a look on the inside."

He began to shake his head. "I don't think that's such a good idea."

"Where's your sense of adventure? Come on!"

She took off at a run up the driveway before he could stop her. "Breezy stop! Don't run." Before he could get to her he was met with her screams. "Shit!"

 

***

 

Breezy froze as she found herself surrounded by two of the biggest dogs she'd ever seen in her life. She was terrified. She shouldn't have run off.

She was too scared to turn around and see where Jace was. She didn't want to take her eyes off them. They were huge with teeth bared.

This was it. This was how it was going to end for her. Mauled to death by a pack of dogs for trespassing.

It seemed like an eternity had passed but she knew that it was only seconds before she began to hear Jace's footsteps running on the gravel drive. He was yelling something but she couldn't quite make it out.

She had to warn him to stay back. The last thing she wanted was for both of them to be attacked. He needed to go get help.

"Jace stay back! Go get some help, please!" She yelled. It wasn't until that point that she realized she was crying.

"Breezy, just stay still they won't hurt you." He yelled as he ran to her.

They won't hurt her? She was about to be lunch. Breezy was sure it wouldn't hurt after the first few bites and she passed out. But she was pretty damn sure that it would hurt.

"Butch, Sundance, stand down!" She heard him say before the two dogs backed away and sat down.

How the hell did he do that?

She turned to run when he engulfed her in his arms. "Jace!" She sobbed his name as she clung to him for dear life. She'd never been so terrified in her life. Not only was she scared for herself but she was also scared that something would happen to him.

"Shh, shh, it's alright. You're safe. They won't hurt you." He crooned softly as he rubbed her back and gently stroked her hair.

She was only momentarily comforted by his presence until she opened her eyes and notice the dogs had moved closer. She began to struggle to get out of his embrace. They still needed to get the hell out of there.

"Breezy look at me." He took her face into his hands and forced her to look at him. "Stop struggling and look at me. Not at the dogs." She was reluctant to take her eyes of them. "Look at me." He said with a little more force to his voice that something in her automatically yielded to. She finally looked up at him. "They are not going to hurt you."

"How do you know?" She questioned still trying to keep an eye on them.

"Eyes on me." He said redirecting her attention back to him. "I know they won't hurt you because they are mine. This is my house."

Breezy's legs nearly gave out on her when she heard those words. She was grateful in that instant that he was holding her up. But her mind was fighting to make sense of the situation.

This was his house!

Those were his dogs!

"This is your house?" She nearly whispered as she turned wary eyes on him.

"Yes." Was his single word reply.

"The dogs…you knew the dogs…" She nearly sobbed as she stepped out of his arms.

"They aren't vicious. They are just a first line of defense. Plus, I didn't know you would take off running toward the house. There are signs everywhere to Beware of Dogs."

She'd been so taken by the beauty of the house that she hadn't noticed at least half a dozen signs all over the place.

"It wasn't my intentions to bring you here. But when you asked, I was just going to let you see the place. But you were so excited about it and I wanted you to have a better look but that's all." He was talking so fast that she was having a hard time keeping up with what he was saying. "And then you started talking about that movie, that I swear to God that I've never seen, and I didn't want to freak you out, so I was just about to suggest that we leave when you took off running and the dogs came out. And this is where we find ourselves. Shit, I need a drink." He finally finished and ran a frustrated hand through his hair.

She took in the sincerity in his voice and the pleading for understanding in his piercing green eyes. She should be pissed that he nearly let her get eaten alive by his two dogs but she guess it was kind of her fault for running off. But he should have told her right away that this was his house. What did he think she was going to do? Stalk him? Destroy his property? What kind of person did he think she was?

Then it hit her. Maybe this was the house that he shared with Sara and his son.

But wait, they weren't married anymore. Right? But his son would still live there, at least part time. Right?

She had so many damn questions and so few answers to anything. Shit, she needed a drink too.

"Okay" she said.

"Okay, what?"

"Okay, I could use a drink too." She gave him a small smile and she saw him visibly relax.

"Would you like to come in? I have a fully stocked bar, plus I've got tea, soda, lemonade, water and juice if you want something else."

"I don't want to impose or put you out in some way." She was really feeling weird about going into a house that he and his wife shared.

"It's no problem. I'd love for you to see my home." He said excitedly.

Breezy was still a little hesitant and he must have noticed.

"What's the problem Breezy?"

She sighed, "I just feel a little weird about coming into a house that you shared with your wife."

He quickly turned hard eyes on her. "Sara never lived here. She's never stepped a foot in my home. I live her alone. In fact other than Paul, no one has ever been in my home. It's just me and those two." He said pointing to the dogs.

Crap, she'd forgotten about the dogs. She backed up further into him.

"Before we go any further, I want you to meet the two biggest, baddest, outlaws you've ever met in your life. It's okay you two. You can come and meet her." He said to the dogs.

She froze as they ran up to her.

"Breezy, I want you to meet Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid. You haven't met better friends than these two." He ruffled their heads.

She watched as the two giants snuggled up to him, vying for his attention.

"Alright fellas, that’s enough. Let's show the lady how we say hello. Butch, you go first, you know Sundance is a little shy."

She watched in total amazement as the dogs appeared to be listening to what he was saying. But more than that they understood, because Butch walked right up to her and nudged his head under her hand to pet him. And soon Sundance did the same with her other hand. She couldn't believe it. She was actually petting two of the biggest dogs known to man and they weren't trying to eat her alive.

Jace smiled down at her. "That's pretty odd. They usually speak to people upon request when I walk them but that's it. And it's a gamble if Sundance will at all. They never socialize for long with anybody.  But it appears that they like you, especially Sundance, he doesn't like anybody." He chuckled. He appeared pleased that his dogs liked her.

"This is weird because I don't do dogs."

"I'm sorry about that. Had I known you were coming I would have put them up. So are you ready for that drink?"

"Yep, lead the way."

"Alright boys go play." Butch immediately ran to the back at his command but Sundance stayed by her side. "Sundance, go play."  He said a bit more forcefully. But that only elicited a whine from the dog. Jace laughed out loud. "Fine, you can stay with her but we're going to have a long talk about this later." The dog began wagging his tail in excitement. He looked at Breezy and smiled. "It looks like you've got a new best friend. Come on lets go get that drink." He said as he led them into the house.

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.