Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

none




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

 

Chapter 2

 

"Where the hell have you been? You should have been here a half hour ago! I'm going out of my damn mind here." Phoenix yelled as Breezy walked into her childhood home for the first time in five years.

Not having a chance to say a word as Phoenix barreled on.

"Akio's mom is a bitch. Do you know he told her that she could plan my wedding reception? Who does that? She's Asian for Christ sake. What kind of food are we going to have? Fried rice and egg rolls!"

"You know that's racist, right? And in case you haven't noticed Akio's Asian as well." Did she really have to point out the obvious?

"Ugh! That's not the point. I wanted traditional. You know chicken and beef, maybe even fish. But oh no, he tells me not to worry about it, that they have it under control. Don't worry! Of course I'm going to worry, it's my wedding day and she hates me!" Phoenix continued on.

Breezy had heard enough. Talk about Bridezilla. "Hello Phoenix. How are you? Yes, I'm well. Thanks for asking. No, just a little tired after a seven plus hour drive with an annoying older sister calling every fifteen minutes to ask where I am. Now if you don't mind, I'd like to put my things down on my side of the house since I can't touch anything that belongs to you! Here!" She handed her the ice cream and stormed off to her room.

Breezy dropped her bags and slammed the door to her bedroom. This was going to be a long week if today was any indication. A weird Phoenix was one thing but a half crazy Phoenix would require tequila.

She'd conceded the house to Phoenix and her lifestyle since she was no longer living there, with the exceptions being her bedroom, the kitchen and their parent's bedroom. Those things were strictly off limits to her unique decorating styles and ideas about things being faced a certain way and not touched. Whatever that was about.

There was a knock on the door before her sister walked in and plopped down on her bed.

 "What's eating you?" Phoenix asked around a mouth full of ice cream. "You look like you lost your best friend."

"More like found him."

"Huh?"

Breezy sat up and took the ice cream from her sister's hand and downed a big spoonful before she spoke. It was amazing that something so simple as ice cream could manage to sooth them. "Paul. I ran into Paul at the grocery store."

"Oh crap!" Phoenix yelled as she abruptly stood and bolted from the room only to return seconds later with another pint of ice cream and spoon. "How did that go?" She asked as she sat cross legged at the foot of the bed like they use to do when they were kids.

"Well, he treated me better than I deserved. In fact he wants to put it all behind us and rekindle our friendship. He said that he understood."

"Wow. Just like that? I always knew Paul was a great guy. I told you he would understand. You really hurt him when you left."

Breezy sighed and felt the weight of her decision weighing her down again. "I know. I just didn't know what else to do and I didn't want him to have to pick sides. He and … the two of them have been friends since they were kids. I couldn't be the cause of a possible rift between them."

"Are you ready to talk about what happened between the two of you yet? I mean I pieced together most of it. I know you two were hot and heavy that summer and the next thing I know is you're telling me that you're leaving, he's getting married to some woman who's pregnant. Now this is where it gets kind of fuzzy, because I heard that after she had the baby…"

Breezy held up her hand to stop her sister. She really didn't want to hear about his wife and baby. "You know, I really don't want to talk about it. I came here to help you." She smiled at her sister trying to quickly change the subject. "Show me your dress. I know it's beautiful."

Phoenix's eyes lit up as she jumped off the bed and ran to her room. Breezy knew that would do the trick. Phoenix had done nothing but talk about the wedding and Akio since he proposed to her six months ago. She was happy for her sister, truly she was. She just wished that they would have eloped in Vegas or flown to the Caribbean. Anything. But nooo, the most untraditional person on the planet decides to have a traditional wedding. Complete with bridesmaids, flowers, organ music and the releasing of doves. Really?

"What do you think?" Phoenix asked as she walked back into the room holding up a black dress that Morticia Addams would be proud of. So much for traditional.

Breezy struggled to come up with the right words. "It's uh, different." That's the absolute best she could do with a straight face.

"I thought that you would like it." Phoenix was clearly wrapped up in her own little world.

Then a horrifying thought crossed her mind. If Phoenix wedding dressed looked like that,  then what in the world would her dress look like? She shuddered at the thought.

"You know Paul invited us to come hear him play tonight at some Jazz club."

"Can't make it." Phoenix said admiring her dress in the mirror. "Akio and I are having a meeting with some friends."

"My first time back home in five years and you're ditching me?" Breezy asked, completely outdone.

Phoenix turned piercing eyes at her. "Oh shut up. I've come to see you ever month for the past five years. I haven't missed a holiday or a birthday. I take my job as big sister seriously. It was you who left. I didn't understand it but I never pushed you for answers. I still don't know what's going on. I respected your decision. Now if you could get over yourself for just one minute and give back to me just a portion of the attention that I have given to you, then this week will be fine because it's my time!" She gave her one more evil look before she walked out the door, careful not to drag her dress.

Breezy was stunned. This really was turning out to be the week from hell. She fell back on the bed and draped her arm over her eyes and began to think about what her sister had said.

Wow, Phoenix was right. She had given up her own life to take care of Breezy and she was still doing it to this day.

Phoenix had only been nineteen when their parents were killed in a car crash. It had been Breezy's sixteenth birthday, which only added to the heartbreak and hurt that this place held for her. Phoenix stepped up and did what she had to do in order to insure their survival. While Breezy on the other hand had fallen apart.

Maybe she was being a brat, never really thinking about the total sacrifice that her sister had made for her.

Phoenix had taken the insurance money and paid the house off and put the rest up so that Breezy could go to college. While she on the other hand had worked every two bit job she could find to pay the bills and take a college course here and there for herself until she had gotten her certificate in medical billing and coding. She finally landed a job that would allow her to work from home so that she could look after Breezy.

Even after she left for San Antonio, Phoenix would visit her one weekend a month. She never missed a holiday and she always made sure that her birthdays were special celebration of life. She never asked for anything in return and she never complained.

The only thing that Breezy had done to save her sister some money was finish her four year program in three years. But even after she finished, Phoenix had insisted that she get her master's degree, which she did.

So she guessed it was time for her to get off her butt and see what she could do to make her sister's life better.

She found Phoenix leaning on the counter in the kitchen with a fresh pint of ice cream.

"If you keep eating all that ice cream, you won't be able to fit in that dress on Saturday."

Phoenix looked up from her frozen treat and scoffed, "You're one to talk with all the weight you've gained. I wasn't sure if we should put you in a dress or buy a taffeta bed sheet to wrap around you." She smiled at her teasingly.

"Taffeta? Oh, that's cold right there." She frowned as she snatched the ice cream form her sister's hand and popped a spoonful in her mouth. The fifteen pounds that she'd gained over the past five years had gone straight to her breast, hips and butt. "You're gonna pay for that one." She said pointing the spoon at her sister.

Phoenix snatched the ice cream back before she could get another spoonful, then put the lid back on it. "You're right, we need to slow down before we're both too wide to make it down the aisle in any dress. And speaking of dress, what are you planning to wear tonight?

 "You know, I have no idea. I'm not sure what the dress code is."

"What's the name of the place?" Phoenix asked

Breezy reached into her back pocked and pulled out the business cards that Paul had given her. "It's called Summer. Ever heard of it?"

"Yeah, it's a new place in the Old South Baton Rouge area, not far from the university. They've got a lot going on over there. Part of some neighborhood revitalization project."

"You ever been?"

Phoenix shot her a look that spoke volumes. "Not my scene. But from the times I've passed by there it's been packed. Maybe you should call Paul."

"I think I'll text him."

She sent Paul a text asking about the dress code and received a quick response.

Dressy casual.

"So little black dress it is then."

 

***

Jace, stood silently watching his staff as they scurried about getting the place ready for opening. They knew he was there but he didn't have to tell a single person what to do. Summer was a well oiled machine and he designed it that way.

There wasn't a job in his place that he hadn't personally trained the staff on. From cleaning the bathrooms, mopping the floors, washing the dishes, mixing drinks and waiting tables, he'd done it all. The only thing that he didn't do was cook and he was learning the art of that as well.

He wasn't one of those bosses that hired out for someone else to do the grunt work. If anything needed to be done then he did it himself. If they were short on staff he filled in and his group respected him for that. They knew he never asked any of them to do anything that he himself wouldn't do. Which also meant that they knew he expected perfection. He  paid them well and he didn't give second chances for major screw ups or anything that cost him money or customers.

He'd taken every dime that he'd inherited from his grandparents and Ms. Peterson, minus what he'd sunk into investments, to make this place a reality and it definitely wasn't easy getting here.

Jace had spent one year getting his life together, six months looking for the perfect location, a year and a half getting the place up and running and it was six months before he finally turned a profit. Not that he'd sat on it because the profits from Summer  were going into opening his latest project across the street. A place for the college kids to go, with casual food and drinks at a reasonable price and the place would also feature local bands every night.

He wasn't doing too bad for someone under thirty-five from the wrong side of the tracks. He'd made good on his promises but that's all he'd done. None of it gave him any joy. He was literally as miserable now as the day he started this venture. Only his sheer stubbornness kept him going daily.

Jace slowly turned his head as the smooth sounds of a alto sax filled the air then a beautiful, sultry voice began to sing about stormy weather that would make Lena Horne proud.

He watched with pure interest as the little bundle of dynamite made love to the mic with her voice. Her petite brown frame reminded him of another. He shook his head at the thought. That was a lifetime ago. Besides, if she was a friend of Paul's then she was probably a good girl and he'd been there and done that.

Nope, all he needed women now for was the relief that they could bring.  He only dealt with women who knew what he expected and wanted the same thing in return. A good time and nothing more.

His eyes drifted to the bar where he knew he would find a set of eyes watching him. Megan, one of his bartenders, in fact his best bartender, was always watching him in silent invitation. Her tall willowy frame, olive skin, red pouty lips and set of triple D's, that sat up and begged for attention, were the things of any man's fantasies. But she was an employee and that was a line that he simply wasn't willing to cross no matter how much she flirted. That was a lawsuit waiting to happen and a headache that he didn't need.

He'd had to put her in her place once when she'd corned him in the stock room. He'd made it perfectly clear that if she ever crossed that line again that she'd be out of a job. And with the amount of money that she was bringing in in tips nightly, he supposed that was enough of a deterrent for something that was never going to happen. Besides, she would wind up just like the rest of them, trying to find a way into a heart that didn't exist anymore. They all wanted more and he didn't have anything to give. That time in his life was over.

He turned his attention back to the stage where Paul was giving it his all. He had to give it to the guy, he could play that sax like nobody's business and he absolutely loved what he was doing. Not many people could play like that outside of full time recording artist. Considering the fact that Paul was a doctor, in a private practice with his father, he managed to dedicate just as much time to rehearsal with his band and it showed.

When, he'd come to Paul and told him about his idea for Summer,  he'd jumped at the idea as long as his band could be featured on Friday nights. It was a no brainer. Paul's band was known all around the city and they drew massive crowds. And the best part of having them as the house band was that they came at no cost. They were all professionals in their own rights an only played for the love of music. How could he argue with that logic? He'd once been the same way until the day the music stopped in his life.

As the last notes filled the room Jace stepped out of the corner he'd been standing in and clapped. It had been ages since he'd heard them play.

"Bravo!"

Paul looked up and smiled then began to take a bow when a stunned expression crossed his face.

"Take five." Paul yelled over his shoulder as he hopped off the stage and made a bee line straight to Jace with a determined look on his face.

Jace took a look behind him and wondered what in the world had Paul on such a mission but soon realized that it was him that was being sought when Paul stopped just mere inches from him.

"What are you doing here?" Paul questioned

"Is that a trick question?" Jace asked confused.

"It's Friday. You're never here on Friday's."

"It's Mike's anniversary, he wanted the day off to take his wife out." He answered, still confused by Paul's behavior.

Mike was his manager so he didn't mind filling in when he had to.

"Oh, this is not good. This is not good." Paul paced.

"What's not good? What the hell is wrong with you?"

"Listen, there's something I have to tell you."

"Well spill it. You're making me nervous with all this damn pacing."

"Ok, earlier today I ran into…"

They was interrupted by one of the busboys running their way.

"Hey Paul D," he said out of breath. "You have a visitor, at the door. Man, she is fine. I wish I was you tonight." He said as he walked away.

"A visitor? Sounds interesting. And here I was thinking that you and the little songbird had something going on." Jace smiled and waggled his eyebrows.

"Who Dajah? Please, she works in my office. But that's not what I have to tell you. Had I known you would be here tonight I would have never invited her. So don't freak out on me. But I invited …"

"Breezy" Jace whispered as he and Paul stared at the door

 






Chapter End Notes:

none







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.