Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Evangeline has a very revealing talk with her mother.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

Evangeline was now a full partner, had a new office, her own assistant and had her own team of associates.  She loved her job.  Mr. Blazevitch became her mentor and helped her in every way possible to make certain that she had whatever she needed to be a success at the firm.  What surprised Evangeline was that no one seemed jealous of her.  They saw how hard she worked.  She never acted like a prima donna, never shirked from difficult assignments, never brown nosed she just did her job plain and simple and she did it well.

 

The office building housed a full service gym on the first floor and a twenty-four daycare center for those who worked those 90-100 hours weeks.  As the firm grew the major partners realized that in order to keep good workers they needed to provide benefits that facilitated the workers.  The gym and daycare were the two things that helped to retain the workers. 

 

Evangeline took full advantage of the gym.  Of course she had no need for the daycare center. It surprised her that she felt a bit sad about that.  But she did not dwell on it for long.  She had too much to do and too much about which to think.  She would meet a few ladies from other offices in the building for a workout session.  It surprised her how these five ladies so seamlessly became steadfast friends.  They made an interesting group.  They decided to call each other by made up names so that when they called out to each other in the gym no one else would know their real names.  Evangeline was called Angie, Monica was called Moonie, Theresa was called Tre, Penelope was called Pepper, and Bianca was called BlessedS. They were too funny. Although they worked in the same building they each worked for different companies in the same building. They worked out together and even met outside of the office on occasion.  They were all very private persons and allowed few others into their inner circle.  They each had their own separate circle of friends but they shared time with each other and supported each other at work by providing a listening ear when someone wanted to vent.

 

Evangeline made plans to visit her mother this weekend.  She finished the work on her case and gave it to her assistant for filing and left the office.  She made it home for a quick shower and change and drove to Maryland.  Her mother and Uncle Clay warmly greeted her and they enjoyed a tasty dinner and good conversation.  The next day Evangeline and her mother sat on the front porch enjoying the sun and fresh air.

 

“Mom thanks so much I really needed this break.  Although I love my job it can get very hectic at times and I needed a break from the hustle and bustle.  I wouldn’t change it for the world but we all do need to take a break and smell the roses.  I thank God for his blessings.  Things are working out for me,” Evangeline said as she reached for another glass of lemonade.

 

“Evangeline I am so glad that you are here and doing well.  You deserve the best baby.  You have had such a hard time the last few years and it’s good to see that you are now in a good place.  I thank God too for you,” her mother Lisa said getting a bit teary eyed.

 

“Oh mommy don’t cry.  I’m fine. You’re fine.  Everything is good,” Evangeline said grasping her mother’s hand to offer comfort.

 

“I’m okay baby. Don’t want to put a damper on this joyful mood.  So have you started dating?  Have you met anyone special?”her mother slyly asked.

 

“Mom I know where this is headed and no I have not started dating and no I have not met anyone special.  This time is all about me.  Can’t I concentrate on just me now?  Any way what’s the use in meeting someone new?  At my age I should be married but since I don’t believe in marriage that’s not an option.  I don’t want to hop beds so what does that leave me?  Alone.”  Evangeline dejectedly said.

 

“What do you mean you don’t believe in marriage?  Why not?  If two people love each other and work at it marriage is great.  When did you stop believing in marriage?”her mother asked surprised at Evangeline’s remark about marriage.

 

“Mom, fifty percent of marriages end in divorce and divorce can be cruel especially with children involved. I’ve handled my share of divorce cases and I have seen the damage it does to all parties involved.  I want no part of that,”Evangeline responded defiantly.

 

“Evangeline you’ve only seen part of the picture.  You say fifty percent of marriages end in divorce.  What about the other fifty percent who don’t divorce?  Why can’t you see yourself in that positive half and not the negative half?  I know lawyers can be cynical because they do see the darker side of life more times than the rest of the general public but honey look for the good.  Marriage can be wonderful when two people love each other and work together to keep their relationship vibrant and fulfilling.  If they exclude divorce as a solution or better yet don’t make divorce an option then they have no choice but to work at their marriage.  Live your life sweetheart.  Yes, you can learn from others, but learn not to make the same mistakes.  Don’t conclude that since it happened to someone whom you thought had everything going for him or her that it will also happen to you.  Make your life different.  I see that frown on your face.  I won’t say anymore on that subject.  Think about what I’ve said,”her mother said as she moved to clear the table and move everything back into the house.

 

When Evangeline returned home from her mother’s house on Sunday she took a shower and took a long nap.  After the nap she felt refreshed but one thing still tugged at the back of her mind, her conversation with her mother about marriage. She remembered saying to John that she didn’t believe in marriage.  But how do I become a wife and mother without marriage? She asked herself. She had told Todd that she was leaving Llanview so that she could be a wife and mother.  If she continued to negate marriage as an option then she could not fulfill her goal.  Maybe she could just have a child as a single parent.  She could have artificial insemination.  No, no that would not do.  I want the full deal, the husband and the children. She emphatically thought.  Wow that was a bit of self-discovery for her.  Okay I conclude that yes marriage is not so bad if you have two people who love each other and are willing to work at their relationship against all odds then it could last.  She determined that as the closing argument to the court case that took place in her mind.  She played all the roles from defense attorney and prosecutor to judge and jury.  Marriage won. Case closed.

 

Now she thought all that she needed was a man who loves her and is willing to work at their relationship against all odds.  Does such a person exist? she asked herself.  We shall see what the Lord provides.






Chapter End Notes:

Does such a man exist?  Where or where can he be?







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.