Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Here's another one for you all! Shoutout to those who keep coming back for more!

As always, let me know what you think !




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

 

As Nayely made her way from the parking garage to the Nike building before her, she willed herself to not mind Terrence who stayed on her heels. Pushing her hands into the pockets of her pants, she looked over her shoulder only to be met by his gaze.

"Just wait. By the end of the day, you're going to see that this was all worth it." Opening the door for Nayely and Maya, Terrence's mouth quirked into a grin as they passed. "There's no better time to do this than now."

Maya looked up to Nayely to see a blank expression on her face as she offered no response to Terrence's words. It had been something she picked up on that morning as the only time Nayely happened to speak was to her assistant. Just as she had returned from a much needed getaway with her girlfriend, Maya had received a call from Terrence telling her that the very last week of their vacation was going to be cut short. Though Nayely protested her returning early after finding out Terrence had contacted Maya, the assistant showed up that morning ready to get to work.

"A specially designed shoe to help fit your foot up one specially designed ass." Maya muttered to herself, drawing a slight sound of amusement from Nayely. Placing her hand on the athlete's elbow, Maya attempted to offer some reassurance.

"I've been looking over all the info-at least all that I've been sent-and I'm ready to jump in wherever you need me to. This is doable, and, in the end, you can still keep this true to you and who you are."

"You know you're my girl, right?" The sound of footsteps quickly approaching tore Nayely's attention away.

"Nayely Polite! It's an honor to have you here." A slight lanky man strolled towards the woman who stood in the middle, offering his hand as he tampered his excitement. "Welcome to the lab, I'm Michael Timmons, head of design."

After reading through her emails, Nayely had become aware of Michael's role in all of this. If it hadn't been for Terrence's manipulation, she would have been able to enter this relationship wholeheartedly as Michael was one of a handful of designers who looked like her. Though she could feel the appeal of his ideas, she moved with restraint as she wanted to avoid being duped any further.

"I'm happy to be here. And thank you for considering me for this campaign." As Michael greeted Maya with a handshake as well, he turned to Terrence with an appreciative look in his eyes.

"Terrence, my guy. I appreciate you helping me out with this." As they leaned in for a slight hug, Nayely began to move forward.

"Will we be upstairs?"

"Oh-uh-yes! The elevator is just right-"

As Nayely reached the elevator, Michael jogged forth, hitting the button out of courtesy seeing as how Nayely was ready to move forward with the day. During the short ride, Michael continued to sing her praises for her most recent victory.

"We're all very aware of what your sport means to you and to all those who have followed your journey." As they walked down the hallway towards a conference room, Michael became animated with his hands as he spoke." That's why we truly want you at the center of all of this. From the beginning to the end, we want this to have your involvement in this design loud and clear."

"I hope that means when it comes to collaborating, I'll be the first to know, right?" A knowing look of embarrassment flitted across Michael's face as he involuntarly looked to Terrence.

"Of-Of course. You're the driving force behind this."

Biting back a correction to Michael's words, Nayely's face lost its softness as they stood before the door to the room." As long as you remember it's me that you need here, I'm sure we can see this through." Nayely wanted to get it across anyway that she could that any decisions from this point on would rightfully fall to her as long as she was involved.

This would be the last time she would ever be left to the whims of someone else. To Terrence.

 

"This product is going to be created with the athlete in mind. From the fit to the form, we want to make sure that we are creating a way for individuals to maximize their performance and set new standards. By having Nayely on board to give us a firsthand account and understanding, we'll be able to revolutionize the market." Piles of papers were scattered across the table as the brainstorming session kept everyone's minds brimming with ideas.

"With the basis of the look down, we'd love to move forward with testing out the prototype for this shoe." Michael held up the rough draft of the shoe that Nayely helped to craft. "We can take some time to check out the materials we have available, make sure that they work for you, and then set up a time to have you try the shoes out as planned."

"I don't think it should just be me who gets to try out the prototype. I'd love to have the three high school runners have a pair as well. This shoe will be made from my likeness, but it is the everyday athlete who will truly benefit from this."

During the meeting, Nayely had made a request to bring on aspiring runners from a local high school to join her in the campaign. After years of living in the area, she had sponsored a handful of events and shown her support to schools across the city. Her suggestion had been well received, and her mind was already brimming with high school stars she hoped would be happy to take part in this opportunity.

"It will help to give a contrast between how the shoe truly performs and with kids helping us out, they'll give us their honest opinions." Pulling together the papers she had studied, Nayely chatted with employees who gave their input to the idea. Across the table, with his arms crossed, Terrence sat uncharacteristically quiet as he had gone ignored for the majority of the meeting. Any attempts he had made to add his thoughts were quickly shut down by Nayely.

"I can contact River Heights and have an answer by the end of this week. My family has given a lot to their track and field program, so I'm sure they can find us their standout students ASAP." Speaking loud enough that his voice commanded attention, Terrence referred to a school located in one of the wealthiest areas of the city. As he came from a long line of career athletes, his family name had become an integral part of sports with a reputation that was known by all in that circle. Calling in favors was nothing for him.

"That won't be necessary." Nayely spoke up just as the others in the room started to respond to his offer.

"Excuse me?"

"Just as I said. It won't be necessary. This was my suggestion, and something tells me you don't have the same vision as I do when it comes to this." Sitting back in her seat, Nayely lifted her eyes to Terrence for the first time that day." I don't want the kids who have access to the best of the best. To them this shoe would mean nothing, they're always going to be able to get the newest and sleekest of anything."

"So you don't want rich kids to be a part of this? I would think you would want the best young runners right beside you."

"Their parents having the most money doesn't mean they have the most talent. You and I both know that."

"So, you want to scoop up some kids from the hood to be the ones associated with this release? That will doom this from the start."

"The hood?" Leaning forward, Nayely narrowed her eyes."I sure didn't come from money, or anything for that matter. If we're looking to push this shoe to only a certain demographic because I'm attached to it, then they shouldn't have a problem if they happen to see the kids I want to be a part of this release. Because when it comes down to it, I've been where they are now. Those will be the kids who follow in my footsteps."

"I have to agree with Nayely. We don't want to push out anyone within our base, especially not the kids who we want to help support and uplift when others can't." Stepping in just as the conversation became intense, Michael drew attention away from Terrence before he could speak. Turning to Nayely, he smiled softly. "I'm trusting you on this. We are here to make sure we incorporate your essence into this project."

Flipping through her planner, Maya cheerfully scribbled down a reminder to narrow down the list of students who would be joining Nayely." Got it! I'll make sure to got over some information and you and I can get together and figure out who will be the best fit." Lifting her eyes to catch the brief frown on Terrence's face, Maya nodded to Nayely in assurance.

Standing to her feet, Nayely began to shake hands with different people around the room, thanking them for their diligence. Bypassing Terrence's burning eyes, Nayely stepped to Michael last.

"I want to thank you once again for joining us on this project."

"I have to be honest, taking this on, I wasn't too sure if this was the right thing to do. I'm sure you understand why." Clearing his throat, Michael looked to Nayely in understanding." But if this is something I must do, I'm going to see it through to the end." A slight disturbance behind them drew the remaining people's attention to Terrence's spinning chair as he disappeared out the door.

"Just know that this thing that you and him managed to pull will never happen again. Hopefully, if this project can end on a good note I'd even be willing to work with you in the future. Of my own will, of course."

Leaving the room with Maya at her side, Nayely looked down the hall to see a fuming Terrence holding the elevator. In no rush, Nayely considered whether or not she wanted to be in the same space as him. A part of her wondered if that was a sign of an attempt on her part to hide away from Terrence after standing up to him in the meeting. Wanting to own up to the new change she promised herself to instill in how she interacted with the man, she proudly walked into the elevator unbothered.

"Hey!"

With her back turned, Nayely did not see the way that Terrence had shoved Maya out the way, preventing her from entering the elevator. At the slight shift in weight, Nayely looked to the reflective walls to see only Terrence joining her on the ride down.

"What do you think you're doing?" Moving to push past him, to keep the doors open, Nayely felt a tight grip on her arm shove her against the wall.

"Who do you think you are to embarrass me in front of all those people?" Terrence's eyes were drawn to the top corner of the elevator, now mindful of the cameras he was sure existed.

"First off, I've already told you once before-don't ever touch me. That's the last time I'll say it." Stepping nose to nose, Nayely felt her anger build from the thought of being manhandled the way he had done. "Secondly, this was a business deal you forced my hand into. If having your ideas rejected in a creative meeting made you feel embarrassed, then maybe you should bow out now."

"That wasn't simple rejection, that was complete disrespect!"

"Don't talk to me about disrespect after what you've done. Listen, Terrence, I have let you get away with so many things over the years and I'm finally able to realize just how tired I am of it. This isn't who I am."

"I have done nothing but help you. If it wasn't for me-"

"I'd still be who I am!" Knowing that his next words would allude to him making her who she is, Nayely immediately stopped him, not wanting to be sent on a downward spiral of questioning if her success is due to her and her alone.

"Would you?" Turning to look her in her eyes, Terrence disagreed with Nayely's claim." After all I've done, after all the people I've helped you to meet, that's what you think? Once again, here I am trying to get you the best of the best, yet you don't appreciate it."

"You want me to drop down and give thanks for you doing what you're paid to do? When have I ever cared about any of that stuff? That's not what made me the person I am-the runner I am. I wish you knew how lost you've become in all of the things that shouldn't matter."

"You've always blown off the importance of making connections. You think it's trivial or unnecessary when all I want to do is get you in with people who matter. You should be thankful for that kind of gesture."

"Did I ever ask for that? You were supposed to be my coach. Be the person I could count on to help push me to become a better athlete, not someone who is only worried about who's magazine I can get in."

"You've got to learn how to want to win on all platforms, not just the track."

"The track is all that matters. I'm sure at some point you were taught that as well." Hinting at his family, she wondered if they were all as fame hungry as he was.

"I was taught to be the best at whatever I do. What I could do on the track, I can do in a meeting room. Now if you would just let up and let me get River Heights in on this project-"

"Isn't your cousin the head coach there?" Interrupting him, Nayely waited as the elevator finally reached the lobby."

"Which is why this will be a perfect opportunity."

"Yes, a perfect opportunity to avoid." Shouldering Terrence on her way out, Nayely looked across the hall to see Maya emerging from the second set of elevators. Her heels sounded towards them with determination as she stood before Terrence.

"You know, I don't appreciate what you did back there-" Before she could give him a good lashing, Terrence walked out the building as if he hadn't heard a thing.

With her mouth wide open, Maya watched as he swung open the glass door and disappeared down the sidewalk.

"He must have been one hell of a coach because I can tell you right now-there would have been no way I would have wanted to be around someone as self-centered as him. You'd have to be a complete fool to-" Grimacing, Maya caught herself as she threw Nayely an apologetic look.

"Well, you're not wrong." Nayely had no reason to argue as her words rang true.

A complete fool.

She had spent all of these years encased by a secret that only she and Terrence had shared, and it was only now that she was ready to break free from it all. With a deep breath, she could only hope that it wasn't too late.

 

As Thursday rolled around, MJ had managed to steel his emotions when it came to the fiasco that Danny had caused. It seemed that everyone who had put in long hours and hard work to make this the best promotional tour the studio had seen couldn't escape the backlash of her racist rant. It had gone as far as countless online groups attempting to organize a boycott of the film to prevent it from being shown in theaters across the country.

At the last minute, the decision had been made to pull Danny from the talk show, as execs hoped to hold out as long as possible and change the tides by pushing her appearance as an opportunity for her to issue an apology. However, as her online antics and attack of fans who criticized her were ongoing in the days following her video, there would be no salvaging of her reputation just yet.

A small knock on the door of his dressing room drew MJ's attention away from his phone. He looked at the contact he had subconsciously hovered over, knowing that with just one call, he would have the perfect solution waiting for him when he returned home.

He had managed to go all week without using, but as anxiety built within him, the temptation was becoming harder to ignore.

"How you holding up?" Kahlil's voice rang throughout the room as he joined his friends in the minutes before they had to report to the stage. Greeting each other with a lax handshake, MJ turned his head to the ceiling.

"Getting through the end of this week is all I want."

"I'd feel the same way, bro. Are you still getting calls and messages?"

MJ had told Kahlil about the countless incidents he was forced to go through that week. One of them being a late-night post by Danny asking her followers to help reach out to him. In some strange attempt to get MJ's attention, she had garnered enough sympathy from those blinded by their desire to be like Danny Rose by convincing them she was fearful for MJ's wellbeing because of what she had caused. After blasting his phone number to her millions of followers, MJ had to immediately change his number.

"Thankfully, no." When MJ looked to his friend, he noticed Kahlil's observant eyes.

"And no, I haven't done what you're thinking."

"Damn, for real? I figured a stressful situation like this would drive you to your crackhead ways." Picking up a water bottle, Kahlil popped one open fully aware that his comment would draw MJ's ire.

"I don't do crack-"

"5 minutes, Mr. Park." A crew member quickly stuck their head into the door just as MJ's face reddened, before disappearing.

Though Kahlil would occasionally make light of MJ's drug use, he always did it in a way where he knew MJ would feel less than proud of the fact.

"Not tonight, Kahlil. I'm not trying to get down on myself right now. Like I said, I just want to finish out this week better than it started."

Throwing his hands up in surrender, Kahlil admitted to his pettiness. "You're right. You know all I got is love for you, MJ. I'm just trying to make sure my boy is straight. I know I said I wouldn't say I told you so-"

"So don't."

"But I will tell you that I hope you understand from now on that I'm only ever going to speak up when I feel that something isn't right. We promised each other to have the other's back when we entered this game. That's still true till this day. You're my family. From here on out, no more joking when I feel like something needs be said. I'm going to say what I need to, even if it's going to piss you off."

"I appreciate that." With a sincere hug, MJ patted Kahlil on his shoulder. "Just don't hold your breath waiting for the next time I fuck up. I think I've had enough of that to last a lifetime." As they left the dressing room, Kahlil continued to make snide remarks, bringing laughter to MJ's face for the first time that week. As he listened to the host announce their arrival, he held onto the feeling of peace he felt, hoping that it would carry him through the interview.

 

The audience laughed as the host made his way through a stack of cards, finishing up a game that managed to get the crew relaxed.

"Here on the show, you know we are no strangers to reading through online comments many viewers post-yes we see you basement4lyfe-please stop asking us what we are wearing. We're literally on TV, buddy."

As the audience's voices quieted down, the host pointed towards the crew.

"As guests, we welcome you to join us as we read some of the questions and comments viewers have sent through our special hashtag tonight." Pointing towards a monitor, the host directed everyone's attention to the real time stream of mentions that floated across the screen.

MJ could feel the eyes of his castmates on him as the same worry was shared amongst the group. They hadn't been cleared on this being a part of their segment and with the news that had preceded their visit, trouble was bound to happen. Shifting in his seat, MJ looked out to the audience who cheered on the host as he moved to the large monitor, prepared to read off the posts.

A sneaky grin crossed his face as he began to scroll through the feed.

"I've got to say, I don't think we've ever had this much activity in a single night. Nearly 85 thousand tweets in the last hour! I should bring you guys on more often."

The crowd called to the host to select the comments that were most alluring to them. Entertaining their shouts, the host put on a pensive look as the posts were randomized, and the first one of the night was displayed.

"Let's see what we've got here. Oh! This looks great. Yamsfordays says, ‘Can someone please tell MJ to take his foot off my neck? He knows he has to give us a warning when he's going to show up looking as sexy as he does tonight.' "

Shaking his head in appreciation, MJ went along with the hooting and hollering in the studio.

"I'm sure that's not the first time you've heard that! Hey, Yammy, I didn't spend the last month in the gym to go unnoticed." Flexing his arms for the camera, the host continued.

"What else do we have out there? Here we go, our friend scifi231 asks, ‘how much preparation went into this role for the cast members?'" As the question was directed towards Kahlil, he took the lead.

"As this genre is one that allows for a lot of room for experimentation, we also knew that we had to stay true to the story and what it means for fans. The cast definitely dived all the way in when it came to immersing themselves into this world, and I think that's something you can see and appreciate in their performance."

"I can tell you now that leading up to tonight, we have gotten messages from fans across the world who've expressed how much this film means to them. You've got some hardcore supporters out there who I know are losing their minds waiting for tomorrow's premiere."

"I think we've got time for one more post, what do you say?" Involving the audience, the host watched as the system flipped through the posts before landing on one he had hoped for. His grin grew as he turned towards the cameras.

"Looks like we've got some hardcore haters amongst us as well? It comes with the territory, right? To show you that we do not discriminate here at the show, let's see if the cast is ready to take on some of their harshest critics tonight."

Looking between themselves, the cast shifted in their seats as the host began to read the message.

"Let's see what our friend sli00 has to say, ‘What I really want to know is when are we going to stop awarding these celebrities by paying money to see their movies when it's obvious they don't deserve to be in the spotlight? Danny Rose sprouts off racial slurs when she's not hanging with her wannabe boyfriend, yet people are still hyping up her movie? No way no one knew this is her true self! I bet MJ Park got off on her dirty talk in bed. Losers."

The audience began to chatter, adding to the tense atmosphere of the studio as the host did nothing to alleviate his guests' discomfort.

"Now, I know this has been a tough week for you guys when this should have been the best time of your lives. Fans haven't heard much from you all regarding this situation, and I'm sure it would ease many of their fears to hear your thoughts." Leaning past the other members to seek out MJ, the host raised his hand towards him, drawing the cameras to MJ's hardened face.

Gripping the arm of the chair, MJ fought his first instinct which was to walk off the set. How did this come to fall all on his shoulders? Just from hearing the post, he was reminded of all the messages he had received from people blasting him for dating Danny, as if he was the root of all of this.

"Look, what happened this week-" With a hand on Kahlil's shoulder, MJ stopped him from stepping up when it his distress had become noticeable.

"I think what the online post is truly saying is that the situation that occurred this week should not be overlooked. What happened was serious, by all accounts. As a Korean American, I know just how hurtful and discouraging it was to hear a racist rant coming from someone who has influence. Many people in this country deal with this harsh reality on a daily basis, yet we all look to entertainment as a way to view ourselves and the possibilities before us despite what ignorant people may say. And that's exactly what this boils down to. An ignorant and hateful person was exposed, and they happened to be linked to a movie that people were looking forward to breaking boundaries that have long existed in this industry."

Taking a breath, MJ continued." I believe that as we sit here tonight, we want to assure our fans out there that the story we've told through this film is one of defiance, pride, and perseverance. Those are all things we can relate to, especially anyone of color who is able to see themselves on the screen this weekend. I want everyone to know that the promise that was put forth to make this film a story for those who have never had one before still stands. Know that the characters that you can connect to in this movie don't exist only in a fictional universe but are a reflection of the very real world and individuals that help to push us to become better."

At the sound of applause, MJ looked to see the audience look on with calmness for the first time that night. When his eyes met the host, he could see slight disappointment as his intended sabotage fell short.

When the host began to deliver his final remarks, MJ all but moved through the motions as he waited for the moment he could leave the stage. Slipping away before anyone could notice, MJ pulled out his phone. As he scrolled through his contacts list, he no longer worried about regretting the decision he was about to make.

 

Nayely stretched out her limbs as she pushed away from the kitchen table. After working together all day, she and Maya had managed to secure great representatives from high schools that Nayely had become acquainted with. They had hit their goal of finding three students by the end of the week and had pushed this news along to the design team.

"I told you this would work out."

"I'm just so happy we were able to get this all through by the end of the week. As soon as arrangements are made, we can get these kids in so that they show the world who they are." As it was officially time to clock out, Maya pulled out her phone, snapping a picture of her work area.

Photobombing with a peace sign, Nayely ducked off to her refrigerator as Maya laughed.

"You know, for someone who hates posting pics, you sure love getting all up in mine." Pursing her lips together, Maya watched as Nayely searched her cabinets for wine glasses. Whenever they working late into the evening, they typically topped it off with a drink between friends, but tonight, Maya was hoping that she could convince the recluse that stood before her to venture out.

"Since the championships, we have not had a chance to celebrate."

"I think it's a little too late for that." Nayely searched for her wine opener as Maya quickly pulled up an invitation on her phone.

"Girl, it's never too late for that! Just look! You got this invitation a while ago for a premiere tonight. I know how you get about these things so I ignored it, but now I think it would be a great chance for you to go out and have some fun!" Maya held the phone close to Nayely's face as if she could push the idea into her head.

"No thanks, I'm good right here."

"You never go out to events like this. If you like, we can just attend the afterparty instead. It's going to be as low key as it can get."

Ending her search, Nayely braced herself against her island. "What is this even for? Why would I be invited?"

"It for a new movie that they've been talking up all year. Its supposed to be a big thing and it even has some up and coming guy heading it."

"So you want me to got to an event for something neither of us know anything about?" She laughed.

"Oh, whoever knows what they're doing? We're just going to have fun, that's it!" Shrugging her shoulders, Maya was unable to hide her excitement at attending. As Nayely had been formally invited, she was hoping to be her plus one for the night. Seeing the look on Maya's face, Nayely weighed the pros and cons of going.

If she went, she could possibly have some sort of excitement for the first time in months that didn't involve her training. Also, seeing as how Maya was still fresh enough to be enamored with special access to the high life, she thought it wouldn't hurt to indulge her every once in a while.

On the other hand, going would more than likely mean she'd have to deal with the hassle of being in the presence of other celebrities. Though, Nayely considered herself far from that.

"So, am I going to be helping you pick out an outfit, or will I be enjoying another weekend filled with watching lame movies with my girlfriend?"

After a thoughtful moment, Nayely rolled her eyes.

"If I go, you have to promise to make me look cute."

Breaking out into a shimmy, Maya moved to place the wine glasses back into the cabinet.

"Oh you don't have to tell me, I was going to do that anyways." Pushing Nayely towards her bedroom, she began to make plans on just how she would fix her up.

 

Nayely looked into the long mirror of Maya's living room, appreciating the outfit she had chosen for her. After deciding it would be best to dress and leave from Maya's, the two had made their way to her apartment so that she would have a chance to dress. Now she stood in a shimmering set of bell bottom pants that rose to expose just enough of her midriff beneath her see through shirt. The black and gold danced off the mirror, setting off every slight movement she made. Nayely couldn't help but to smile at the look of her red lips that accentuated her dimples.

As sounds of R&B dance tracks played throughout the small space, Nayely was ready to check the time just as Maya came strutting from her bedroom.

"You ready to go?" Maya called as she checked her hair one last time.

"Am I ready? Girl, you better come on." Maya smiled as she moved to shut down her home before following Nayely outside.

"I'm sorry, but I don't think that's going to work for tonight." As Nayely pointed her keys to unlock or KIA, Maya sneered her nose up.

"What do you mean? You know I'm going to be the DD tonight." As Nayely never drank outside the comfort of her own home, tonight was a chance for Maya to enjoy her outing to the fullest.

"Yes, I know. You can be the DD in my car though."

"You drive a Tesla!"

"And? You drive a car that has little hamsters rolling around in the commercials!" Shuffling to the passenger seat, Maya tossed Nayely her keys.

"No that's not-" Sighing, Nayely giggled as she let Maya have this round while she hopped in and pulled away.

 

 

Kahlil mingled with some of the party goers as the night went on. It was well past late, and yet it seemed like everyone was just getting started. Looking around, he realized that he had yet to see MJ. After the previous debacle on the talk show, he had all but gone ghost just before it was time to hit the carpet for the premiere. Whenever he managed, MJ slipped away before Kahlil could get a chance to speak with him. He thought that things would be okay following the response to the host's impromptu grilling. It hadn't been lost on the crew members just what the talk show veteran intended on doing, and their concerns had been addressed.

The problem still remained that Kahlil wasn't able to connect with his friend in order to make sure everything was still good.

"Who are you looking for? Your fine ass wife?" When deep brown arms laced around his waist, Kahlil's worries were stifled ass his wife pressed her body against his.

"Baby girl, baby girl. Now you know you can't be pushing up on me in public." Turning in her arms, he reached down to place a kiss to the cheek of the woman who had become his world." Or else we're going to have to turn things private."

Ronnie looked up to her husband who still reminded her of the young boy she had hooked up with in high school. Neither of them had any idea that one lustful night of graduation bliss would lead to a broken condom, baby, and now 5 years of marriage. When Ronnie had gone through her pregnancy with their son, she had tracked down Kahlil as fast as she could to alert him of the new addition to their lives. As a young college student, he had absolutely nothing to offer but the couple of hundred dollars he managed to save every month to send to the young mother.

It had eaten away at him during his college days that he wasn't able to be there for Ronnie in the way that he should have. She had doubts that he would even take their situation serious as he always seemed to be mischievous in their youth. Though he had not lost all of his ways, after years of struggling to land his first big job, Kahlil's breakout film finally put him in a position to seriously take in Ronnie and their child, creating a family he held onto dearly.

Even with his jokes, Ronnie was able to sense that something weighed heavy on Kahlil's mind.

"I haven't seen him either. Maybe he decided to sit tonight out." Knowing that he was looking for MJ, Ronnie had kept an eye out for the mysterious man to no avail.

Placing his hands on her cheeks, he admired the way that she had taken to caring about his friend as well. After all, as the godfather of their son, MJ being a part of the family wasn't just a declaration Kahlil had made, but one that they all accepted.

"Let's just enjoy tonight. I'll hit him up later, but for now, I'm trying to see if you still move the way you used to." Leading her to the dance floor, Kahlil enjoyed the night with his wife. After three straight songs of dancing, a strange feeling came over Kahlil. Looking up, this feeling he had told him that someone unexpected was near, and it wasn't MJ.

With the lights low, he had to quint just to focus on the faces throughout the crowd. When he saw a small woman with locs making her way through the crowd, he was surprised by a hand on his shoulder just as he noticed the hand of the person the unknown woman toted with her.

"MJ! You know you had this man worried sick about where you were." Ronnie moved past her husband to hug the man of the hour. A bright smile shined on MJ's face as he repeatedly moved his hair from his face.

"I forgot how he can get, Ronnie. I hope he didn't hurt himself too much thinking about me." MJ teased as he pulled Ronnie close. Bobbing his head to the music, MJ greeted many people who came his way.

Watching him closely, Kahlil's face fell as his suspicions had been proven right.

"Hey, you good man?" Kahlil asked, placing the back of his hand against MJ's chest to get his attention.

"Never been better. Didn't I tell you I was going to finish this week out on a high note?" MJ's grin widened as he realized the faux pas he had made. Squeezing Ronnie tight as he laughed, Kahlil loosened his grip as Ronnie began to read the situation.

"Oh, old boy is on one tonight..." she muttered under her breath. "Was it funny, MJ?" She asked sarcastically as she whispered into her husband's ear, promising to check on them later.

As his wife walked away, Kahlil couldn't come close to joining MJ in on the laugh.

"I mean, it's funny because I know that you know that I know what you know right now." MJ leaned his head onto Kahlil's shoulder as he continued.

"Alright, alright. How about we get you somewhere and sit you down?"

"What? Why? I don't need to be sitting on my ass tonight. I'm trying to enjoy myself, lighten up."

"You told me you were good."

The seriousness in Kahlil's voice got MJ to stop his fit of laughter as he ran his fingers through his hair once again.

"And I am. Look, everything that happened this week-happened. There's nothing I can do about it but keep moving on."

"The girl you've been caught up in for the last three years fucked up in the worst way possible, and you're okay? I've seen you before, and this isn't okay."

"Damn, Kahlil." MJ huffed. "Danny is irrelevant. I've come to peace with the fact that she was trash and hid it so very well." He emphasized. "I've had people I don't care about coming at my neck all week like I did all of this, so please, I don't want to have to deal with judgement from you too."

"I'm not judging you. I just know this shit ain't right."

"Judgement." MJ reiterated.

"No, I just want to make sure you're doing what you need to do. I told you so many times to keep away from that chick and now here you are."

"Mmm..." MJ closed his eyes, shaking his head up and down before winking at Kahlil. "Judgement." As MJ backed away, he became swept up into the crowd before Kahlil could call him back.

Scratching his head, Kahlil drifted away.

 

"I don't want to hear it! I know I can't hold my liquor, but I refuse to let that stop me tonight."

"Girl give it up. That's the second time I've had to rush with you to the bathroom tonight. Is it really worth it?" Nayely helped to guide Maya to the first empty seat she could find. On teetering legs, Maya didn't fight the relief as she plopped down.

"At least tell me that you've had some fun?" Maya asked as she fanned herself with her purse. Nayely smiled at the thoughtfulness that was there as she pushed a small cup meant for mouthwash towards her friend. Throwing back the water like a shot, Nayely could see that Maya was still in the mood for more despite her current state.

"Yes. Making small talk with people I don't know, keeping you from grinding on strangers, and hogging the bathroom with you as you throw up any and everything has truly made my night."

"Oh no, this has been a horrible night..." Nayely thought nothing of her words until she heard a low whining sound coming from Maya.

"Wait! No! You don't have to cry! I was saying all of that to be funny, Maya." Pulling the woman in for a quick hug, she shook her from side to side as tears streamed down her cheeks. This was the other side of Drunk Maya she had forgotten about.

"No! You're going to hate me once tonight is over! I'm so damn embarrassing." Throwing up her hands, Maya unknowingly hit the man that sat near them.

Clenching her teeth, waiting for a response, Nayely quickly excused her friend's accident despite the man's lack of reaction.

"I'll never make you come out again! I promise."

"Don't say that because you know you can't keep it." Nayely teased.

"You're right! I'm a liar!" Maya began to sob again. Regretting what she said, Nayely continued to console her friend. Luckily, no one seemed to take notice of the scene, which she knew would send Maya into a coma the moment her soberness kicked in only for her to realize what she had done.

Bit by bit, the crowd began to shift as something managed to garner people's attention.

In the middle of her crying, Maya suddenly made a gagging noise.

Stepping back to hold her at arm's length, Nayely froze as she watched Maya with wide eyes. As Maya's enlarged cheeks soon deflated, they both breathed a sigh of relief.

"False alarm."

"Thank God."

"Wait, you wouldn't happen to have some gum, would you?" Nayely turned her nose up as Maya made a face that told her something unpleasant had hit her taste buds. Shaking her head no, Maya began to whine again.

"Damn, Nayely. I thought you would be on it by now."

"Just. Don't. Breathe."

Covering her mouth, Maya looked over Nayely's shoulder to see the man she had hit stand from his seat, looking at the pair with a bewildered expression.

"Um, can we help you?" Maya asked, her drunk haze fading as she watched the way his eyes bulged when looking at Nayely. Unaware of the man, Nayely felt herself being pulled forward as Maya moved her away.

"What's wrong with you, weirdo?" She asked as the man continued to ignore her.

"Nayely? Nayely Polite?"

At the sound of her name from a familiar voice, Nayely's heart began to beat fast. Her teeth became locked together as she crushed her jaws shut. Her eyes slowly travelled to the matured face of a boy she never thought she would stand before again.

"Kahlil." There was no question in her voice as she realized what this could mean.

"Do you know him?" Maya took a closer look, not liking the vibe she was sensing from Nayely. There was a sense of hesitancy in the way she stood that put Maya on alert. Before she could answer, a woman quickly approached the man before them, tugging away at his arm.

"What are you doing? Danny just showed up and they're going at it!You need to get MJ out of here, quick!" Ronnie moved her husband into action, but not before he could take one last glance at the face he knew couldn't be here tonight.

If MJ knew...

"That's right! Danny Rose was in this movie. You know they got her on video beating down an old Asian lady? They snatched her up with a quickness once that got out." Hopping down with curiosity, Maya moved with the crowd towards the scene before Nayely stopped her.

"It's time to go."

"Come on, I'm trying to see what's going on."

"Nope. I'm calling your girlfriend. You're not well. I'll drop you off at home and she can take care of you." Rerouting her movements, Nayely retreated to the door as she could hear raised voices traveling through the room. The faster they could get out of there, the better.

 

 

"Fuck you, MJ!" Danny threw another glass at his head, just before he could duck the blow.

"You need to stop!" MJ tried to fight his way through her barrage as she swung her arms carelessly. Dozens of phones were already pulled out, capturing the fight between the ex lovers.

"You've been ignoring me all fucking week. Did I mean nothing to you?" When he finally got a hold of her arms, he held them close to her body.

"Don't! I don't need to tell you why things are the way they are right now, Danny."

"I fuck up one time and you just throw me out like I'm nothing!" She spat. Wiping his face, MJ's anger threatened to boil over.

"You're just digging yourself into a deeper hole here. Do you really want another video of you being passed around?" MJ's eyes burned from the growing number of bright lights.

"A hole you had no problem helping me make for the last three years." She shouted. Looking over her shoulder, Danny locked eyes with the hired paparazzi as they trained their camera on her.

"At least I can admit to when I've fucked up, MJ!"

"What are you talking about?"

"Don't act like you don't know. You and I are the same, and you know it. The only difference is someone caught me doing my dirt. But you! You act like you have never done anything wrong when you and I both know that's far from the truth."

MJ began to get a bad feeling from Danny's sudden performance. She screamed loud enough so that everyone could hear their conversation, completely ignoring MJ's pleads for her to calm down.

"Are you really going to do this now?" To the side, MJ could see Kahlil appear, taking in the sight that drew the crowd.

"Of course, I'm going to do this now! I don't have shit to lose!" Kahlil sensed where things were headed and began to attempt to block people's phones from capturing anything else.

"You want to act like you're above the lows of this life, but you know like I do how good you felt every time we did coke together. You know, MJ! Stop hiding it!"

"Danny!" MJ shouted as the crowd gasped at the burning reveal.

"How many times were we strung out together, huh? How many times did I have to help you when you couldn't handle things? I always helped you! I found the perfect way for you to get over your fucked-up emotions, but when I needed you, you just labeled me a racist and left. You didn't even try to work through this with me! So, fuck you!" Delivering a stinging slap to his face, Danny pushed past the late security team who had been sent to apprehend her. Unbothered by the countless cameras that followed her, she walked out with her head held high, knowing the damaged she had caused.

She knew how important MJ's broken resolve had been to him and she knew what it would mean to now have the entire world in on his little secret. She had felt betrayed to not have the support of her boyfriend to help prove to the world that she wasn't the racist she foolishly assumed they had painted her out to be.

By the time Kahlil had reached MJ in the wake of Danny's scene, he could see a distant look cast over his eyes.

"MJ."

Putting a physical distance between his arm and Kahlil's comforting hand, MJ shoved his palms into his eyes, pushing in to the sockets until he felt pain.

"Look, man, let's get you out of here and-"

"I can handle myself."

"MJ!"

"I said I've got it!" He rejected Kahlil's offer, pushing past the faces that gawked at him in disbelief at the drug revelation. Many never would have thought that MJ Park would be caught up in this part of the life. As posts were sent out with a sense of urgency, soon, many more would come to know his truth.

When he made it to his car, he peeled away just as Kahlil and Ronnie emerged from the building. They watched as his large SUV weaved in and out of traffic, feeling completely helpless.

"Maybe we should call the cops, let them know that he's-"

"No!"

"But Kahlil, he could hurt himself. Or even worse, someone else."

"If we call the cops, do you think they're just going to give him a nice ride home? He's high out his mind right now, Ronnie. He'll be in jail before the night's over." Moving quickly, Kahlil felt for his keys in his pockets with determination.

"I'm going to find his ass before anything can happen."

Rushing to the parked cars, Kahlil was followed by a slightly reluctant Ronnie.

"Well if you're not going to take my advice, don't even think about going by yourself! I'm coming with you." Once their doors were closed, Kahlil moved with a quickness as he followed the path MJ had taken, hoping that he could catch up with him.

 

 

MJ's head spun endlessly as he sat back in his seat. He didn't know where he had gone, but he was relieved to have stopped so that he could take in another hit of the only comfort he had.

Pinching his nose together, MJ could feel his head lull to the side as the objects in his hands fell to the ground.

The sharp taps against his window took MJ out of his daze. Startled, he fidgeted with the window, slowly letting it down as a man with a suspicious look peered in through the window.

"Can I help you my man?" The man asked. Shining his phone's flashlight onto MJ's face, he took notice of the confused look on MJ's face.

"What-" Looking around, MJ realized that he was not in a place where he should be at all.

"I saw you out here in this same spot the other day, but I'm sure you don't live here."

MJ's eyes skirted quickly to the front of Nayely's house.

How had he ended up here?

"If you don't get out of here, I'm going to call the police." The man warned.

"No! Uh-there's no need really. I'm just here visiting."

"Oh yeah? Well there's not much visiting you can do sitting in your car for the past 20 minutes."

"I'm here to see a friend. I-I just had to do somethings first." Reaching for his car keys, MJ made his way out the car, as he felt the sweat that broke upon his forehead.

The man backed away, never taking his light off of MJ as he slowly made his way up to Nayely's front door. Looking over his shoulder, he saw that while the man had retreated, his eyes were still trained on him.

Rapping lightly against the door, MJ's chest ached as his heart beat faster with each passing moment. Bracing his arm against the frame, he grimaced at the strange sensation that coursed through his body. If only he could last long enough for the man to finally decide to go back into his home. Fear took hold of MJ, and told him to not be naïve enough to believe that a concerned neighbor wouldn't have already taken down a description of his car, ready for the moment they needed to call the police.

Trying to calm down the shaking of his shoulders, MJ's body worked against him.

 

Nayely just finished removing the last of her makeup after returning home on a sour note. After dropping off Maya to her waiting partner, she had made her way back home, disappointed to find that she was unable to enjoy the remnants of the night she had with Maya.

The look of Kahlil's surprise still burned in her head and had only become worse at the mention of MJ's name.

If she had any idea that the after party would have led her so close to ruining her years of dedication to avoiding the one person she could never face again, she never would have agreed to go.

At the sound of her phone, Nayely mindlessly answered, only to find one of her neighbors on the other line.

"I was just calling to let you know that my husband and I happen to notice a man sitting outside your house. Would you happen to know of any one who would do such a thing?"

"A man?"

"Yes, I'm pretty sure he was at your house just a few days ago as well."

Concern struck as Nayely's instincts led her to believe that Terrence had once again shown up at her home. Clenching her fist, she wondered why he would be sitting outside with no warning. Had her new alarm system prevented him from making his way in as he pleased?

"Is it a red sports car?" Nayely asked just to be safe.

"No, nothing like that. I'm sorry but my husband knows cars, all I can tell is that it's some large truck SUV thing just parked out front. It's been here for awhile and we were getting ready to phone the police, but I just wanted to make sure this wasn't someone you may know or want at your house."

"I wasn't expecting any visitors, but I'll make sure to check this out. Thank you for calling, I appreciate it."

"Of course, dear. If you need anything, don't be afraid to ring us!"

Ending the call, Nayely moved about her house, pondering whether or not it was necessary to grab her hidden golf club. Before she could find it, she could hear the faint sound of soft knocks against her front door.

This was definitely not Terrence. Knowing him, he would have made sure to have his presence known. These knocks were so soft, it seemed as though the person on the other side hadn't intended for her to hear them.

Having her phone ready to call for help if needed, Nayely moved to check her monitor, knowing that her cameras would tell her all she needed to know.

When she brought up the display, the only thing that could be heard in the house was the sound of her phone dropping to the ground.

The man curled up against her front door looked to be in pain as he struggled to stand up. When his head tilted up, every suspicion Nayely had on the figure she could never forget was proven true.

MJ.

Shock went through her body as she was prepared to ignore his sudden arrival. Yet, as she watched him squirm in the monitor, her heart told her that ignoring him would cause more trouble than she realized. With feet that felt trapped in stone, she made her way to the door, slowly unlocking it. She could sense the weight of his body against the door as she hesitated in the final moments before pulling it open.

When his taller frame had tumbled in, she saw a quick flash of recognition in his eyes before they began to turn back. On the ground, MJ convulsed in Nayely's arms as she fought to make sense of what was going on.

As the seizure persisted, Nayely's memory crackled as a time came when she witnessed her mother treating her father during an overdose. She had remembered his body shivering so much, that she had brought a blanket to help keep him warm. At the time she had no idea what a seizure was and the amount of danger her father's life had been in at the time.

Gently moving MJ onto his side, Nayely was able to avoid panicking as she placed her hand between his head and the ground.

"My phone." Knowing she had to call 911, Nayely looked for her phone so that she could get help as soon as possible.

Seeing the phone tucked away into a shadow far from her reach, Nayely felt around in MJ's pockets. Surely, he had to have his phone on him. If she waited any longer, who knew what could happen.

At the feel of his device against his leg, Nayely pulled it out, instantly accessing the emergency keypad.

Caressing his head in the palm of her hands, Nayely didn't fight the tears that streamed down her face." Oh, God." She whimpered.

"911, what's your emergency?"

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.