Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

A lot happens as Evangeline and John await the birth of their child.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

Taking the long way home

 

Thoughts are captured in /italics/

 

(Evangeline and John return to Llanview and brace themselves for the reactions to their news)

 

Chapter 7

 

Since Evangeline’s apartment is not available she moves in with John. He loves having her there and being able to see her every day.  She reopens her office and just as she thought everyone believes her story about the client changing his mind.  Some of her old clients return and she gets some new ones.  The trial judges are delighted to have her back.

 

Evangeline is beginning to show a little but she’s masquerading it by wearing looser dresses and suits.  John and Evangeline both tell their families the weekend after they return.  They do decide on a wedding date for next month.  They want to get married before the baby comes and before she gets too noticeably pregnant.  The family all agrees and help the couple with the wedding arrangements. Everyone has a part to play and are excited about the baby and want to help them as much as they can.  

 

The wedding announcement appears in both the Sun and Banner newspapers on the Saturday, two weeks after their return to Llanview.  John and Evangeline are sitting in the living room of John’s  apartment.  John is reading the sports page of the newspaper and Evangeline is reading a book.  Someone knocks at the door and John gets up to answer.  Natalie Vega barges into the apartment,

 

 

“John what is this about you and Evangeline getting married?  How could you do that to me, you know that I love you and I know that you have feelings for me?”

 

Natalie doesn’t even notice that Evangeline is sitting there on the sofa in John’s apartment.  She continues her tirade.

 

“You’re just doing this to deny your feelings for me.  Don’t do this John.  You don’t love her.”

 

“Natalie what I do with my life is my business and not yours.  I don’t have to explain anything to you or anyone else. And to set the record straight, I love Evangeline and will marry her because I love her.  Now if you will leave Evangeline and I were enjoying a quiet Saturday morning at home.  Good bye Natalie.”

 

When John said that Natalie finally notices Evangeline sitting on the sofa reading a book.  Evangeline did not acknowledge Natalie with even a nod, blink, or a hello. Fuming Natalie turns and slams the door as she exits.

 

“Well we both knew that was coming and I’m glad that it is over.  I’m also glad that she didn’t get a good look at me and see that I am pregnant.  We would never hear the end of that.  She would tell everyone that the only reason that you’re marrying me is because I am pregnant. Next month can’t come soon enough for me.”

 

“I don’t care if you have to wear a moo moo dress to the wedding we’re getting married and I don’t care who knows.  Now what are we doing for the rest of the day?  How about a walk?  We both can use the fresh air and a little exercise is good for all three of us.”

 

“John that sounds like a great idea.  Come one let’s get changed and we can go.  You know this living with you feels really good.  When we return from our walk let’s continue our search for a house.  We want to be settled before the baby comes and we only have a few more months.”

 

“Yes I know we need to get serious in our house hunting.  Come on little mommy-to-be let’s get walking.”

 

They change and go to the park for a walk.  They finish their walk and return the apartment, shower, change and check online for available houses.  They see a few that interest them and send emails the agents to schedule house tours.  A few of the houses have open houses scheduled for tomorrow Sunday so they decide to look at those houses then.

 

The following week is filled with work and house tours.  The Killing Club Killer case investigation receives a boost with evidence supplied by an anonymous tip.  The tip leads to the apprehension of the killers. Finally John can breathe a sigh of relief.  Before apprehension of the killers Natalie Vega did set herself up as a victim in an effort to force John to rescue her and declare his love for her.  Fortunately for Natalie the killer didn’t take the bait and neither did John.  She had to wait for her brother Rex Balsam to come to her aid.

 

The wedding day arrives and all of John and Evangeline’s family, friends, co-workers, associates and leaders from the community are there to witness this lovely occasion.  Evangeline looks stunning and no one can tell that she is pregnant. Her wedding dress is elegant and fits her beautifully.  Her mother, Nina and Nora helped her to find the dress.  John looks quite handsome in his black tuxedo with a lavender cummerbund.  Nina serves as matron of honor and Nora serves as maid of honor with Michael as best man and Antonio and Bo as ushers.  Evangeline’s mother and her Uncle Clay walk Evangeline down the aisle.  

 

The ceremony proceeds and at the part where the minister asks if anyone objects Natalie starts to stand but her brother, Rex and her mother, Victoria Davidson, pull her down and tell her to keep quiet.  The rest of the ceremony goes without any interruptions and John and Evangeline are declared man and wife.  The Palace is the scene for the reception and everyone is having a grand time.  Champagne is flowing and Michael and Nora makes certain that Evangeline has white grape juice.  It looks like champagne and no one is the wiser that Evangeline is not drinking champagne.  Everyone there is so happy for Evangeline and John.  As the reception winds down and the married couple prepare to exit to go on their honeymoon an unexpected guest arrives.

 

When John and Evangeline returned to Llanview from Nina’s company apartment John told Evangeline about the DNA test results.  He didn’t want to go into their marriage with that secret.  As soon as Evangeline learned that John Doe was Christian Vega she called a meeting with Antonio. So since that time John, Antonio and Evangeline have been working on getting Christian a new trial and a possibility of release.  On their wedding day Christian Vega is released and as John and Evangeline prepared to leave for their honeymoon Christian Vega walks into the reception with his mother, Carlotta and one of the other attorneys who worked on the case.  At his appearance everyone gasps and one person rushes too him and hugs him covering his face with kisses.  

 

“Christian is it really you?  Where have you been?  We thought that you were dead?”

 

“I’m here now Natalie.  I’m home.”

 

The room explodes with applause.  Everyone is overjoyed to see this happy ending.

 

Not wanting to stay around for any questions from anyone, both Evangeline and John slip out while everyone is caught up in greeting Christian Vega. They didn’t care that it happened during their reception.  They both worked hard to gain his release.

 

After changing and leaving their finery for their friends to take back to their apartment Evangeline and John head to the airport.  

 

“John you have not told me where are we going for our honeymoon?”

 

 

Well it wouldn’t be a secret if I told you but since we are now officially on our honeymoon I can tell you that first we are traveling to London for a few days and then to my family homestead in Ireland, then Scotland, since we’re in the area and finally to Paris but just for a few days and then back home.  I don’t want to tire you out and plus we still have jobs to work and a house to find.”

 

“Yes we do but right now I just want to concentrate on the honeymoon.  Mr. McBain have I told you how handsome you looked in your tuxedo.  When I was walking down the aisle I felt so special and so blessed to be marrying you.  I am so happy John.  Ooooh…!”

 

“Evangeline! Are you okay?  Is it the baby?”

 

Evangeline smiles and takes is hand and places it on her belly so that he can feel the baby moving.”

 

“It seems the baby is happy too John.”

 

“Yes it does. Have I told you how beautiful you looked in your wedding dress.  I couldn’t even tell that you are pregnant and I know that you are. I am happy too.  I have you as my wife and soon to be the mother of my child I can’t ask for anything more.”

 

The honeymoon is so much fun for the two of them and they return home ready for the next chapter in their lives.

 

/

 

Three months later they have moved into their new house and by that time Evangeline is just blooming with her pregnancy.  The following month, at her eighth month, Nora has a baby shower for Evangeline.  Nina comes to town to share in the event.  Evangeline receives so many lovely things for the baby.  The mothers of the couple take the couple shopping for baby furniture.  They tell Evangeline and John that since they wouldn’t take anything from them for the wedding that they insist on handling this for the baby.  The couple agree and now the nursery is fully equipped with furniture, clothing and other baby paraphernalia just waiting for the arrival of the designated occupant.

 

Evangeline’s practice is thriving and she now has two partners. Two new attorneys moved to Llanview and convinced Evangeline to expand her practice.  They made her a financial offer that was all to her benefit and she accepted.  The two attorneys determined that Evangeline’s stellar reputation would provide them with well paying clients and they were correct.  They have more business than they anticipated and it is a winning arrangement for all involved.

 

John’s job position has also changed.  With the solving of the Killing Club Killer case, the city and state government appropriated money to fund a new position of Deputy Commissioner of the Police Department.  John will work along side Bo Buchanan.  Antonio Vega is now the chief Detective.  John totally enjoys his new job and does not miss the long hours of being a detective.  He can truthfully say that his life has never been better.

 

Evangeline’s due date arrives and she is very anxious. As the hours pass and no labor pains she starts to worry.  She calls her doctor and the doctor explains, again, that due dates are only projections and the baby may come before or after that projected date but they won’t wait later than a week after the due date for the arrival of the baby. As soon as Evangeline ends the call with the doctor she goes to take a shower and as she’s drying off a pain hits her and her water breaks.  Fortunately John is at home and they rush to the hospital.  Calling their mothers while on the way, by the time that they are arrive, her doctor is there and hospital staff rush her to maternity triage.  Although her water has broken she is only five centimeters dilated so they admit her and move her to maternity labor and delivery.  Their family and friends start to gather in the waiting room.  The mothers are in the labor room with Evangeline and John.  Two hours later Evangeline is fully dilated and John and the mothers are in their delivery room uniforms of gowns, mask and shoes waiting for the arrival of the baby.

 

John walks out to the waiting area to announce the arrival of Colin Jonathan McBain, 7 lbs. 5 oz., and 21 ins. long.  He shows pictures of the baby on his phone.  They pass around the phone so that everyone can see the picture.  John retrieves his phone.

 

“Evangeline and Colin are doing fine.  I’m going back in now.”

 

He turns and leaves.  The two grandmothers enter the waiting room as John exits.  They tell everyone how exciting it was to be there at the birth of their grandchild.

 

Evangeline and the baby are in their room now and Colin is nursing. John comes in and sits on the bed next to Evangeline and hugs her and kisses her on her temple.

 

“He’s finally here Evangeline.  You did so well my love.  Thank you so much for my son.  Thank you so much for loving me.”

 

“John we created him together so I thank you too for our son.  I love you John McBain, now and forever.”

 

“And I love you Evangeline McBain, now and forever.”

 

THE END

 

A/N: .pebbles I hope that this fulfills your request. Thnx for reading and reviewing.






Chapter End Notes:

And so we come to the end of the story.  Thnx for reading.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.