Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

From Chaos to What?  Chaos is a ladder

 

 

Chapter 5

 

News of the deaths of Margaret Cochran and Dr. Spencer Truman quickly spreads.  John has no time to dwell on that as he works on finalizing his reports on that incident at the hospital.  He still has to continue his interrogation of David Vickers regarding his father’s death.  John knows that Dorian Lord visited Vickers in the holding cell and John wants to make certain that Dorian doesn’t use her measurable influence to get David released before he can question him again.  John finishes his report and heads down to the holding cell. 

 

When John sees Vickers he’s not prepared for what occurs next. Through the bars of the cell Vickers looks at John and says, 

 

“I shot your father.  Paige Miller was the doctor on duty who treated your father but she was drunk at the time and did something wrong and that’s why your father died.  Spencer has been holding that over our heads all of these years.  Now that he’s dead I don’t have to run and hide anymore.”

 

John feels like the weight of the world fall from his shoulders when he hears David’s confession.  John has the attending officer to bring pad and pen so that David can write out his confession.  John calls ADA Hughes’ office to alert him to this new development.  ADA Hughes is still reeling from the fiasco of the Manning execution and the wrongful conviction.  John knows that it won’t be easy to prove David’s claims regarding Dr. Paige Miller but John now knows the truth and that is worth a whole lot.

 

 

 

Two months later Todd is visiting Evangeline in her hospital room after the successful surgery to restore her sight.  They are both in high spirits, laughing and joking with each other.  A knock at the door interrupts their back and forth bantering.  Saying ‘come in’ to the person at the door they wait for the person to enter.  To their surprise in walks John McBain.  Evangeline has not spoken to John since that day in Todd’s hospital room when he came to tell them about the deaths of Margaret and Spencer.  She does know that both Vickers and Dr. Miller were brought up on charges for John’s father’s death.  Evangeline is glad that John has solved that case and maybe now he can get on with his life.  

 

Not wanting to postpone what he has to say John just comes out with it, 

 

“Todd you said that you would search for your son after Evangeline regained her sight. Well she has now and I want to help you, if I can, in your search.”  

 

To say that Todd is surprised at John’s offer is an understatement and Evangeline is at a loss for words, which is saying much for an attorney.  But Todd does quickly regain his composure and asks John, 

 

“Why would you do something like that John?  You’re a policeman here in Llanview what authority would you have somewhere else?”  

 

John knows that Todd has every right to question his offer. Neither of them have very high opinions of the other but they do have a common interest and that is Evangeline. John knows that Evangeline values Todd’s friendship and will do all that she can to assist him in finding his son. She did put her career and reputation on the line to prove his innocence in the Cochran case.  And John equally knows that Todd values Evangeline’s friendship.  Todd spared no expense to find the medical personnel needed to get back her sight.  So John answers Todd, 

 

“I know some very good private investigators that might help you in your search. Plus David Vickers may offer some information that Truman may have let slip, because we all know how haughty he was and how much he thought that he was so much smarter than anyone else. Just know Todd that I’m willing to help you.  You can reject my offer of course but I do want to help.”  

 

Todd looks at John, still not convinced of his sincerity so he considers his next words very carefully, 

 

“Are you doing this to get back in Evangeline’s good graces?  Are you hoping that she will give you another chance and if so what does my niece Natalie thinks about all of this?  You are with her aren’t you?  You did leave Evangeline for her right?” 

 

John is embarrassed that Todd is bringing all of this up now. He just wants Todd to either accept or reject his offer of help.  This is not the place nor the time to talk about his feelings for Evangeline. His feelings for her are too complicated for words.  

 

All during this back and forth between Todd and John Evangeline does not say anything.  At Todd’s last question she does look at John to see his reaction and it puzzles her to see that he is embarrassed.  But why should he be embarrassed when everyone knows that he and Natalie are together and she also sees something else.  She sees hurt and she doesn’t know why he would be hurt by what Todd is saying.  But she still does not say anything.

 

Meanwhile Todd is still waiting for an answer from John but it doesn’t seem that one is forthcoming so in an effort to end this awkward situation Todd says, 

 

“John thank you for the offer.  I don’t care why you made it.  I won’t turn down any help in finding my son so give me the information on the private investigators that you have and obtain whatever information you can from Vickers.  Call me and we can meet to compare notes.  John, I know that you don’t like me.  I really don’t care about that but your willingness to put that aside to help me says a lot about you.  That was a cheap shot  I took asking if you were trying to impress Evangeline.  I apologize for that.  So if that is all I will get back to entertaining my friend here as we plan our celebration for her regaining her sight.”

 

Glad that he’s off the hook from responding to Todd’s question about Evangeline, John tries to make a quick exit but he does say before he leaves, 

 

“Evangeline I am very glad that you have back your sight.”  

 

He quickly exits before she can respond.

 

Todd looks at Evangeline while she stares at the door that John just exited  Something tells Todd that he hit a nerve when he asked John if he made the offer as a way to impress Evangeline.  What Todd now realizes is that not only did he hit a nerve with John but evidently he hit one with Evangeline also based upon his observation of her response to John’s reaction to the question and his lack of an answer.  Todd surmises that ‘things’ are not finished between these two (2) no matter who else comes into the picture be it Cristian or Natalie. Only time will tell what if anything will happen again between John and Evangeline but Todd knows one thing for sure.  He will not allow anyone to hurt his friend again so John best beware.  Either John comes with the truth and without the baggage or stays away from Evangeline.  Seems like a visit to Lt. McBain is in order.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.