Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

The Next Day

 

 

Chapter 7

 

(Come on you didn’t think she’d make it easy for him did you?  Yes she loves him but it will take more than a note and a few flowers to heal the bruise on her heart.  Now is John up to the task?  Plus how will Evangeline respond to the John Doe/Cristian Vega news?)

 

 

John is really glad to finally see Evangeline and get the time to talk to her but from her demeanor he can tell that this will not be an easy task.

 

“Evangeline I’m so happy to see you.  If you will come in and share my dinner I am more than prepared to answer any of your questions.  So as to the flowers and the card, well one the flowers are to say I’m so glad to know you and have you in my life.  Also I want another chance at a relationship with you. Second, the card is to notify you of my presence in the hotel and ask if I might have the pleasure of your company.  Any more questions?”

 

“What do you have to eat?  I just arrived back at the hotel and I haven’t eaten since lunch?”

 

John readily takes that as a peace offering and transfers the food from the tray to the table and divides it in two (2) portions.  Good thing that there is enough for each of them.

 

“Why are you here John.  Didn’t you read my letter?  I broke up with you. Anyway how did you know I was out of town and at this hotel?”

 

Before John can answer she says, “Nora.”

 

“Why the bold gesture John?  That’s not something you usually do.”

 

“Well maybe I need to change what I usually do Evangeline.  I need you to help me.  I’m here because I want you in my life, yesterday, today and tomorrow. I may not have said the words ‘I love you’ but I don’t see my days without you in them.  What do I have to do for you to give me a place in your life?”

 

“John you have me at a disadvantage here.  I can’t think straight.  I’m working on this really big case and I need to stay focused.  You are a distraction I can’t afford.  But I will say this and then I really must leave.

 

John if you’re serious about having me in you life in a committed relationship then you have to be committed to me and not every ‘damsel in distress’ who comes your way. I will not be second choice for anyone.  You admitted that at one time you tried to have a relationship with Natalie but it didn’t work out.  You admitted to me that she still has feelings for you but you never said anything about your feelings for her.  Now that John Doe is in prison Natalie is once again available to you.  I didn’t end things with you because of Natalie.  I ended things with you because of you. 

 

I’m in love with you John.  I know that I said ‘falling in love’ but I know in my heart that I love you.  But I can’t be with you knowing that you will never love me or rather not be in love with me now and with little hope that it will happen in the future.  I have a few minutes so I will ask you this.  What do you have to offer me John?  Why should I even think about reconsidering my decision?”

 

John knows that in this moment his entire happiness hinges upon his answer to these two (2) questions.  If he tries to bluff his way through with half answers he will lose her forever.  It has been too long since anyone mattered so much to him so the only thing he can do is,

 

“Evangeline, I offer you my heart.  This battered, bruised, seldom used, hidden away from the light but yearning for your warmth, heart of mine.  If you reconsider your decision I will do all within my ability to give you me exclusively.  I admit that I have made mistakes as it relates to you.  As a male I took the physical offerings readily and held back from any emotional attachment.  But with you that soon became impossible.  That time when you went to San Francisco, we were without strings, but I spent my evenings trying to find things to do until I could talk to you on the phone.  You still are the best part of my day.  Let’s work together to be ‘us’ Evangeline.  I’m willing to do that.  If I tell you now that I love you of course you won’t believe me but don’t say that it will not happen.  I told you that I didn’t think that I had that ability to love in me but if anyone can change that it would be you.  You told me if that ever happens to let you know.  Well I’m letting you know that I want to explore that happiness with you.  I’m here for you Evangeline, for you.”

 

Evangeline hears what John says but her head will not allow her to just concede.

 

“I have to go John.  I have meetings all day tomorrow until about two o’clock in the afternoon.  I should be ready to head back to Llanview at four o’clock. Might I catch a ride back with you?”

 

John is still waiting for her to tell him if she has reconsidered her decision but she offers no response about that.  Taking whatever time he can get with her he tells her,

 

“Sure. I’ll be ready when you are.”

 

“Thank you John I’ll see you tomorrow.  Thanks for dinner, the flowers and thanks for coming.  That was sweet of you.  Don’t worry John I’m not disregarding what you just said I just don’t have a response now.  We’ll talk on the ride back and I promise no drama so don’t worry about having an accident while responding to something I say.  We can both be hotheaded but we also can be level headed.  I’m sure that we can resolve this matter.  The jury is still out on whether we both will like the verdict.  Good night John.”

 

Evangeline promptly stands and leaves not looking back at John, as he remains seated at the table.  Although John didn’t know what to expect when he finally saw Evangeline that definitely wasn’t it.  Now he has to make it through the rest of the night and most of tomorrow before he knows if he has a life with or without Evangeline.






Chapter End Notes:

The sound of sad violins plays in the background. Dum-de-dum-dum.

Oh never watched the Simpsons so have no idea about that Mr. Burns but glad that it provided a connection for you.  That's great.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.