Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Those Green Earring: Part 10

This story was my original ending to the series of "Those Green Earrings". I chose the poem instead. Now after a couple of weeks I have debated if I should put it in, so tell me what you think? I am very interested in your thoughts and replies to the final ending of these compilation of stories.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


For a Vulcan he is not allowed to express emotions, the are tightly sealed inside his heart and mind. Every so often he would release those trapped emotions to a select few, such as his closest friends Kirk and McCoy. Even then tolerating emotional levels are high, Spock is proud of his Vulcan heritage, and continues to struggle with his human half. His human half often fails or comply with Vulcan dynamics, but the discipline is necessary due to his dueling heritage.

T'Pring didn't make it any easier with her rejection on their wedding day, she had told him that she no desire to be married to a legend. What legend? Legend to what? He was not Surak or like his father Sarek. Far from it. He was relieved that the marriage was dissolved, Spock had no desire to be bonded to a woman who despised him and made him almost kill his best friend.

How does a Vulcan recover from such a rejection? No bondmate, no procreation in the near future? Spock found solace by himself, chess and his K'athra, he wrote songs that expressed his despair, failure and helpless. Spock continued his duties as the First Science Officer of the Enterprise.

Spock remembers the day when he walked by the rec-room, and he heard a Vulcan lyre, he stopped to listen. The player played with precision, then a voice mellowed in, like an angel if there was such a thing. He stepped in to watch the woman and was surprised that it was the communication officer. Her eyes closed, the apparatus pressed against her breast, her fingers gliding across the instrument. Where did she learn it? Spock stood in awe, impressed that a human could accomplish such a thing with a difficult instrument. Why hasn't he noticed her before?

His mind races about her qualifications for the position; multilingual, codebreaker, class 5 A license in computers and soft wares. When Uhura finished, a smile came across her face, the crew applauded her performance. She glanced up towards him, and tilt her head, her look froze on him, an unfamiliar feeling flooded his thoughts. Spock turned and left, he didn't know how to respond to her performance, it was majestic, mathematically played. Spock was fascinated with her, but he couldn't say it, why, he thought to himself.

Spock noticed Uhura more on duty, he was awed with her mathematical mind, and her ability to translate coded messages from Starfleet with efficiency. Her ability not only to plot a course as a navigator but adaptable to the science station for research. For a Terran female, Uhura was acceptable, compared to other females on board. It was near the end of duty that Spock took the next step and approached Uhura on her knowledge of the Vulcan lyre and invited her to play with him off duty in the rec-room. She looked up with her big brown eyes and responded yes. What Spock had to realize that the men on the ship found Uhura attractive as well, he didn't know how to handle it. Men will sit with her and small talk, making her laugh or supporting them on personal issues. He would see men gather around her during dinners, breaks and even staff meetings.

They would give her gifts such as poems of their dying affections for her, flasks of her favorite perfumes, plants, flowers and she would even share meals with them. She would thank them for the gifts. Spock found it unsettling to his nerve, but he didn't know why it bothered him. He could only stand back and watch the men draw her attention.

Spock was able to set up a time to compare their lyres which surprised him, Uhura informed Spock that she learned to play when she was a teenager and started to learn of different forms of languages. Spock was impressed with her knowledge of Vulcan and her ability to play the instrument. Uhura time was limited, she was always in the company of her male followers. His only opportunities are when she is on duty signing reports for him, handing him a tape or disk. But mostly picking her up when the ship was tossed, and she would continue her work. His own logic or reason could not explain why he was drawn to Uhura, but he kept watch out for her constantly.

Spock realized that the men on the ship continue to give her gifts, and she adored each gift given to her. Uhura would say comments of their sincerity. Spock watched as her face would glow, and her smile widens and he wondered why humans would do such endearments. He took the time to consult the computer for human gift-giving:

[A gift or a present is an item given to someone without the expectation of payment or return. Although gift-giving might involve an expectation of reciprocity, a gift is meant to be free.]

Spock thought about it and wondered if that is what the male crew was doing. He thought no harm if he presented a gift to Uhura, it seems like the common practice that humans do, but he's a Vulcan, should he to participate in such a display. Would it affect their relationship as officers? Spock has difficulty analyzing Terran customs.

It was some months later, when Uhura and Spock were in his quarters, playing their lyres in unison. He was his moment of solitude for himself and the only opportunity to be with her. He was at peace with her presence in his space, he never knew why he sought her out. But he enjoyed Uhura being there. She would occasionally look at him and smile, and he noticed that her conversations with him were different from the crew. She appeared more reserved and quiet in his presence, not the social extrovert with the male crew. Was it the moment of rejection filtered through his mind, he is a Vulcan. Spock did not know what possessed him, but after their session, he went to his console and picked up a box. He presented to her as other males of the crew have been doing. What he saw was unexplainable:

Her eyes widen

Her fingers shook

she slowly opened the box

She saw two green hoop earrings

Her eyes filled with tears

She looks at him with his hands behind his back.

"I love you too, Spock"

What Spock failed to realize that a gift to someone special, is an expression of emotion or emotions that goes deeper than gratitude. Especially from someone special.

THE END












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.