Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I DON'T HAVE A BETA SO ANY ERRORS I APOLOGIZE FOR! 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


“There you are.” She stood there in front of a cluster of huge oak trees, trying to catch her breath. Her body grew tight at the sound of his voice and she tightened the grip she had around her waist. 

    “What I tell you bout runnin Kira?” She turned, an angry storm brewing inside her grey eyes. 

    “Let’s talk like normal human beings.”

    “I don’t wanna hear nothin you gotta say.” He came closer, making her back up some. 

    “I know you’re mad at me right now sweetheart.”

    “You gon off for two years and ain’t wrote but two letters ta me. I got every reason ta be mad.”

    “And I gotta perfectly good reason for that sugah I really do.” 

    “Sugah my ass.” 

    “Kira,”

    “No… You listen to me. Right now.” His mouth shut and he waited, intensely watching until she spoke again. 

    “If you gon leave all the time and be gone… then let me go.” 

    “What?” 

    “Don’t ‘what’ me Joon. I…I won’t let you keep breakin my heart like this. I deserve better.” Finally, he swallowed but it hurt goin down. He pulled his hands out of his pockets and waited until he had them around her waist before speaking. She fought him some so he had to tighten his grip. 

    “Look at me Kira.” She didn’t, instead focusing on their feet. Lifting a hand from her waist, he grabbed her chin and forced her to look up at him. 

    “I said look at me.” Her chin trembled beneath his fingers and the angry grey storm that had raged in her eyes now fell flat and tears welled up in her eyes. She bit down a whimper and sniffed, those tears begging to be free now starting to fall down her cheeks. 

    “You know I’m a man of my word.” She didn’t say anything, just nodded. 

    “I was not gonna return to you the same as I left.” He let go of her chin. 

    “I promised your brother that I’d take care of you Kira…that I’d take care of all y’all. I was not gonna return home till I fulfilled that promise.”  She let out a cry or two against his chest and finally lifted her arms to hug him back. 

    “I shoulda wrote you more and I apologize for that Kira girl. But nothin else.” She sniffed against his cotton shirt and when he felt she wasn’t gon run again, he loosened his grip on her. 

    “A man should be able to provide for his woman. I can do that now. The proper way.” 

    “Ir ain’t always about money Joon…” She said, tears clingin to those pretty long lashes of hers. 

    “What if I want you here? What if I wanna go with you huh? You did some growin and so did I. And I’m tellin you that I want to stay with you…” He leaned down to kiss her sweet and gentle like. He pulled back, caressing her cheek. 

    “I’m here baby. Your June Bug ain’t goin nowhere.” 

    “You mean it?” He took her by the waist and lifted her up in his arms, bringing a squeak from her. 

    “I mean it. The North got too lonely without you.” She wrapped her arms around his neck, fingers slippin into his silky obsidian locks. Their lips met finally and like that all was right again. 

 

*** 

 

    “Gammy?” The woman wasn’t lookin at nothin in particular… just stared into space, eyes cloudy like a storm. 

    “Momma you wanna eat?” Their mother tried gently, reaching to take her hand. At that, she glanced down at the hand holding her before looking up. 

    “What day is it baby?” 

    “What day is it?”

    “Yeah.”

    “It’s Saturday Momma.”

    “What year is it?” 

    “2010 Momma.” She blinked, confusion all over her face. 

    “I coulda sworn it was 1939.”

    “No Momma. That would make you 22 years old.”

    “How old am I?”

    “94. Bouta be 95 in a montha two.” 

    “I’m that old baby?” Fronnie and Tani sat in the back, eying each other wearily. Their expressions mirrored one another. Worry. Sadness. 

    “Where June Bug? He back from tha sto yet?” 

    “June Bug ain’t here Momma…” The girls could see how it was hurtin their mama to tell her and it solidified when their Gammy’s entire face fell. 

    “Oh. He ain’t here huh?” 

    “I fix you a plate okay? You ain’t ate for two days Momma. That ain’t good now. We gotta keep you nice and strong.”

    “Put somma dat green tamatah stew in a bowl. I eat that.”

    “Yes ma’am.” Pulling away from her, their mama went to the frig and pulled out the jade green pot full of that good green goodness. 

    “Saffron, Kotani why don’t y’all gon start ya homework? I call y’all down when dinner is ready.”

    “Yes ma’am.” The girls replied, eager to get up to that attic. 

    “Let’s not waste time now. I wanna get right to the meat.” Tani said as they climbed the attic stairs. 

    “I’m right behind you.” Fronnie agreed, right behind her. Drifting over the journal, they began to read almost hastily. 

 

*** 

 

    “Is that our big lipped bastard?” The girls watched as the group of men engulfed him, laughter and rowdy laughter surrounding them. 

    “Fuck you Scat. Fuck you and ya crooked ass teeth.” 

    “Yeah but you a big shot doctor now so fix em.” Lily and her both smiled as they watched June Bug wrap a thick arm around Scat’s neck. 

    “That ain’t my specialty.”

    “Yeah but you know folks nah doncha?” Scat coughed with a sloppy grin. 

    “Ion know nobody can would be willin to fix that crookmouf he got.” Dipp and Frog smirked, crossing arms. 

    “Agreed. Looks like you’re just plain fucked.” June Bug teased, shoving the spluttering man away from him. 

    “Hey now… we in the midst of ladies nah.” Dipp interjected, eying up Lily real good. 

    “We ain’t no delicate flowers and y’all know it.” Lily retorted with a grin of her own, eying the dark Negro up real good in return. 

    “I see you lookin at me too now Thomas. You ain’t gotta chance in high hell of bein with me and that’s the truth. Now betta turn them eyes straight cause they goin two different ways.” At that, everybody lost it, laughter floating up like bubbles in soda pop. She ain’t laughed that hard in her life and she swore her stomach was bound to laugh its way out her body. 

    “She toldyo ass real good didn’t she?” Scat hollered, growing red in the face. 

    “Gawddamn Lily. Don’t hurt tha man’s feelins now.” June Bug laughed with a shit eating grin, cheeks crimson. Dipp, however, didn’t look the first bit offended. Instead, he grinned and licked his lips. 

    “Lily girl you just wha I need baby. I like my woman with some bite in em.”

    “Mmhm forget it. You can’t even read lettalone write.”

    “Lil be nice to the man now.” She interceded, a few laughs of her own hittin the airwaves. 

    “I ain’t. Why lie to the man? He ain’t even on ma radar and he needta know it.” 

    “I ain’t givin up on you Lilian Burnett. Just you wait an see. You gon be with me by the end of this all said an done.”  

    “A’right luhvaboy. That’s enough. Look what you don did nah Lily. Don got the man all excited.”

    “Hmph.” She replied with pursed lips and a shrug. 

    “Since we all havin a good time and got our June Bug back, I say we gon to us a jook joint tonight. What y’all say?” Scat suggested, grinning between the group of them. 

    “Ion know if that’s the most fittin place ta take the girls now what you think?” June Bug spoke up, reachin into his pocket for a cigarette. 

    “Why ain’t it? Kira and I both grown. We can speak for ourselves can’t we?” Lily said in reply, chest poked out and hands on her hips. Dipp eyed her but then so did everybody else. 

    “We all know Lily’s in.” Exhaling nicotine, June Bug’s gaze set her to burnin slow and sweet, makin her clutch her dress behind her. 

    “How you feel bout that sweetheart?” He asked, bringing the cigarette to his lips, bringin a girlish blush to her. 

    “I’ll go.” 

    “Kira you lettin Lily corrupt you.” 

    “Look here. I’m 21 suns. If I wanna go to a jook joint then I’m goin. Understand?” The boys hooped and hollered, slappin Frog on the back. 

    “Both um firecrackas now ain’t they? Joon you got you a handful huh?” He grinned. 

    “Ain’t nothin I can’t handle.” He replied with a flirty wink. 

    “Alright enough now. If we gon ta go to this here jook joint we best be on our way now.”

    “Yes ma’am.” Those chestnut eyes sent warm flutters all across her skin. 

    “Yes ma’am.” He spoke quietly before exhaling smoke and snuffing out the cigarette. 

 

*** 

 

    “Fronnie what’s a jook joint?” 

    “It was like a club nowadays. You danced, drank, gambled, alla that.”

    “Oh…Gammy wanted to go there?”

    “Well, I think every young woman wants to live on the dangerous side once in a while.”

    “Mm.”

    “Besides, she had June Bug. He wasn’t gonna let anything happen to her.”

    “Yeah you right.”

    “They hadn’t seen each other in two years. I think it was okay for them to have some fun what you think?”

    “Yep.” 

    “Kay I’ma read cause it get hot and heavy. We both know how passionate June Bug and Gam was.” Tani gladly surrendered the journal with a grin and Fronnie picked up where she left off. 

 

*** 

 

    “Lilian Burnett you don lost yo eva lovin mind. I can’t wear that.” 

    “And why not?” She asked holding up a beautiful cream dress with a deep plunging neckline and beaded waist. 

    “The back out firstall.” 

    “Okay and? 

    “And look at the front! For Gawd’s sake you tryna have me lookin like a hot lil tart or somethin?”

    “Nawl. I’m tryna have you lookin good for ya man.”

    “Lily…”

    “This the first time y’all don seen each other in two years. And as you so eloquently put it, you 21 suns now. You good and grown girl. S’time to stop dressin like a lil gal.”

    “I do not dress like a lil gal!”

    “Says you.” Lily sighed, hanging the dress up on the mirror. 

    “Showin a lil leg sometimes ain’t all that bad. Besides, when you got somebody to admire it, it make it all the more worth while.” She felt her cheeks grow warm. 

    “Listen, I ain’t gon tell you what to wear. Just thought a friendly sistahly suggestion woulda been appreciated.” Lily said with her cheshire grin, getting up to sit at their makeshift vanity. She pursed her lips and went to her trunk and began searchin.  

    When all was said and done, she’d picked a pretty pink ensemble with beaded skirt and delicate chiffon sleeves. Slipping into burgundy shoes, she had braided her hair up into an updo and decided to wear a grey cloche. 

    “My don’t you look pretty.” Their Papa was out on the porch smoking a cigarette when she’d stepped out, waiting on Lily to finish gettin ready. Blushing, she smiled shyly. 

    “Thank you Papa.”

    “Where you an Lily goin now?”

    “Some party in Mableton.” 

    “Ah. Chanjoon drivin?” Licking her lips, she nodded. 

    “Who else goin?”

    “June Bug’s friends Thomas and Paul Walker and Moses Lee.” 

    “Ah.” 

    “I think that’s them now.” Grateful for the awkward silence ending, they watched as a lone black Ford pulled up into the drive. All three gentlemen got out. 

    “Evenin boys.” 

    “Evenin sir.” All three suddenly had the best a manners and if they didn’t look nervous it woulda been funny. Joon was the only one that wasn’t sweatin bullets and as their eyes met, she felt her heart start ta thumpin in her chest. 

    “Y’all talkin my girls out for a night on tha town huh?”

    “Yessir.” Dipp replied, licking his lips nervously. He’d slicked his hair and part it straight down the middle, clothed in a tailcoat.  

    “I trust alla y’all to keep ya hands to yaselves and behave. I always have my shotgun ready and loaded so don’t think it’ll be hard to find y’all.” If Dipp and Scat coulda grown pale they would have. Joon on the other hand just grinned that easy grin a his slipping hands into his pockets. 

    “Lily girl come on out here. Kira and the boys out here waitin.” 

    “I’m comin Daddy hold on!” 

    “Women… they so slow.” Their papa said with a chuckle. 

    “Chanjoon.” 

    “Yes suh.” 

    “Take good care a my girls you hear?” 

    “With no hesitation suh.” He nodded firmly and looked over the other two dismissively before heading back into the house. 

    “That man sure is intimidatin. How you say so calm in front a him June Bug?” He shrugged with a chuckle. 

    “Y’all just some pussies. That’s all.” 

    “A’right I’m ready. Let’s go fore it get real dark.” Lily suddenly appeared, bringing po Dipp and Scat’s moufs wide open. She stood in that scandalous cream dress with the deep plunging neckline, a long plus cream boa adorned her shoulders and scream t strap shoes on her feet. 

    “I be damned.” 

    “Lily you look…look…”

    “Pick ya moufs up now. Our Papa within an ear shot range and best believe he by that door.” The two clamped their mouths shut to her chagrin and near fought over who would be the one to escort her to the car. Scat won and she looked like a real dame on his arm as they headed to the car. 

    “You ready sweetheart?” Joon asked, coming to take her hand. 

    “Ready.”

    “You look beautiful darlin.” Blushing, she bit her lips in a smile. 

    “Thank you.” 

    “Let’s get goin a’right?”

    “A’right.” Tightening his grip on her fingers, he gently pulled her against his side as he walked her to the car. He started the car and jumped inside and they were on their way to Mableton. 

 

*** 

 

    “GIRLS! DINNER IS READY! COME EAT!” At their mama’s holler, they sighed heavily. 

    “It was just gettin good too.”

    “Gon down Fronnie. I be down in a minute.”

    “Don’t be too long. Mama gon come get you.” 

    “I won’t. I just gotta know if they made it safely.” 

    “Let me know what happen.” Fronnie left her in the attic. 

    “Okay Gammy, I need you to finally live fa once…enjoy ya time with June Bug…” She said to the quiet space, lifting the journal. 

 

*** 

 

    Thick smoke filled the place and the sound of rag cut through the fog. Black bodies swayed to and fro, skin slick with sweat. The stench of musk and perfume seemed to penetrate right to the nose and yet there was a sweetness to it. A freedom to it. 

    “COME ON KIRA!” Lily was already two drinks in and she was feelin the music’s groove. Laughing, she pulled her into the throng of bodies. 

    “GIRL YOU DON GON CRAZY!” She hollered over the loud music. 

    “YOU NEEDA GIT A DRINK IN YOU. LOOSEN UP SOME.” Lily replied with a grin, shaking her hips. 

    “NO I DON’T. I’M FINE LIKE I AM.”

    “AW COME ON BABY SISTAH. MOVE THEM HIPS.” She giggled as Lily took her hips and moved em. 

    “Lily quit.”

    “Guess who lookin at you like he wanna eat you all up.” At that, her cheeks flushed and she turned to find him sittin at the bar, drink in hand, eyes dead set on her. She swore her mouth went dry. 

    “Gon ova to em nah.” She licked her lips. 

    “Fine but you behave yaself Lilian Burnett.”

    “But of course.” She grinned, losing herself in the mix of swaying hips. Turning, she was just about head his way but it appeared somebody else made it before she could. Some high yella thing pushed up on him, moving her derriere against his lap with no shame. He ain’t say nothin to her, just shoved her off of him like she wasn’t nothin. 

    “Hey now Daddy don’t be mean!” She yelled over the music. 

    “You look real lonely I’m just tryna give you some company.” Feeling a strange twinge in her chest, she started for them. 

    “Did you get lost?” She asked, crossing her arms. The woman eyed her up and down and started laughing, lifting fingers to wipe her eyes. 

    “Now I know this gotta be a joke. What you want with this fine man lil girl?”

    “What I want is you to get away from him.” Her eyebrow lifted. 

    “Oh yeah? Ain’t you the sharecroppin daughter that work as a laundress? I ain’t take you for the jealous type.”

    “You know a lotta bout me I see.”

    “Yeah and I know your work ain’t shit. Po lil darkie, fightin over a man you ain’t worthy of.” Just to spite her, she lifted a leg to sit on top of his lap, wrapping arms around him. 

    “When you ready to be with a real woman, just come find me won’t cha Daddy?” 

    “Get the fuck offa me.” He hissed, shoving her hard.  She yelped as she hit the floor and he stood up, eyes hard and cold. 

    “You don’t want any problems with me I promise you.”

     “Ay what you doin Joon?” Dipp said with a sloppy grin on his face, obviously drunk as a skunk. 

    “Come get this stanky yella bitch before I forget myself Dipp. I’m abouta strangle her.” Stepping around her, he made his way over to her. 

    “That certainly wasn’t nice.” He slid arms around her waist. 

    “Yeah and neither was the way she was talkin bout you.”

    “Joon,”

    “You know I don’t like people talkin bout you or your color Kira.” She wrapped arms around him, hopin she rubbed the anger outta him. He’d been drinkin and she didn’t want him to start a fight.  

    S’right now. She’s gone. I think she got the message.” He hummed against her collarbone before pressing his lips against it. 

    “I was wonderin when you was gon come ova here.” His lips kissed her neck, eyes lifting to meet hers.

    “Seems you been havin enough fun as it is without me.” She teased back, near drownin in them eyes a his. As playful as they was, there was somethin about em she ain’t neva seen before. Not even in their time together in New York. It excited her to the point where she felt like she had a river flowin ‘tween her thighs. 

    “Just warmin up is all.”

    “That right?”

    “We got all night sugah. All night long.” His hands crept down her back. 

    “And what you plannin ta do all night long Joon?” He chuckled lowly, hands now dangerously close to her derriere. 

    “I can think of a coupla things.” She gripped his hands just before he took hold of her down below her waist. 

    “Easy now…” He leaned down to kiss her on her neck again but this time, she gave him a lot more room to work with. He kissed her generous offering, letting his tongue glide across her throat. She took a shaky breath and let his hands go, grabbing his shirt instead. 

    “J-Joon… not in front of all these people.” 

    “I’m sorry sweetheart…”  His voice breathed against her throat, deep and raspy. He cupped her cheek, not letting her escape his gaze. 

    “I be good darlin. I promise.” Finally he kissed her and it sent her spinnin right round, desire and longin drippin like honey from his soft plush lips. In the smoke filled haze, they shared a coupla more kisses before he pulled her out onto the dance floor, holding her tight against him as they began to dance real slow and sweet. 

 

*** 

 

    “KOTANI.” Jumping, she forced herself to shut the book. 

    “COMIN MAMA.” Licking her lips, she hurried her tail downstairs fore she got a whippin. Gammy, you always gon be alive and happy in yo journal. Always. As long as you and June Bug can be together, then I’ll be happy. 







Chapter End Notes:

A/N: Wrote this WHILE AT WORK y'all. Yes y'all heard that right LOL. I sat wih a patient so I wasn't rippin and running like I normally do. I had time to sit down and craft this LOL. Tonight we see lol. Fingas crossed! I hope you enjoy this and I will see you soon! <3 

D&L 

 

PICTURE TIME: 

Kira's outfit to the jook joint: 

 

Lily's outfit: 

Joon's outfit: 







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.