Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

*GRAPHIC DEPICTION OF BATTLE WITHIN.* 

 

 

Yeol 

(ten) 





Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

He heard faint noise, faint white noise. He couldn’t quite distinguish who or what it was. Through it all, he heard crying. Yelling. He groaned and his eyes opened. In slow motion, a dark woman charged at men half her height, splitting open their stomachs and piercing their hearts with her arrow. She was enlivened with complete and utter rage and it showed, in her cry, in her movements. Groaning again, he felt himself come to more and more and soon unbelievable pain shocked his body, chilling it with sweat and heat. Gritting his teeth, he grunted as he tried to stand. Glancing down at the arrow that protruded from his body, he too felt anger. Rage. Betrayal. Taking hold of the arrow, he snapped it in half, gripping the other end tightly in his hand. 

    “He’s alive!” He heard one of the bastards yell but he didn’t give him a chance to talk anymore, jabbing the end of the arrow into the side of his neck, pressing down deep until blood gushed out and his once bulging eyes grew empty. He grabbed the man’s bow and arrow and took out the approaching three men. 

    “Wangja-nim!” Tiye stood behind him, face covered in blood. Tears in her eyes. 

    “I…I thought they had killed you.” He inhaled shakily before coming towards her. 

    “I will not die so easily eolin-i.” 

    “Behind you!” Before he could move, she’d fired an arrow, piercing him in the neck. 

    “We must find our camp and…get the fuck out of here.” He struggled, pain increasing with every breath. 

    “Agreed.” As they turned, two archers stood there, arrows pointed at them both. 

    “You two will most certainly die here.” Neither of them said anything and he moved before they fired, shoving her back into the dust. He fell on top of her, hands trying to brace his weight. Barely successful, he breathed haggardly, sweat dripping from his nose. 

    “Wangja-nim…”

    “We must…abort this mission Tiye. Right now… our lives are more important.” He grit his teeth in a loud anguished groan, reaching for his side. Tears welled up in her eyes and she lifted hands to press against his chest. Taking the cue, he moved his body to the side, laying on his uninjured side. 

    “Stay here. Please.” She spoke softly before turning to get up. 

    “No!” Pulling her back towards him, he sat up, eyes full of fire. 

    “What did…I tell you? Stay at my right side at all times.” Tightening his grip on her hand, he swallowed the pain down, breathing hard through his nostrils. 

    “Do not deviate.” She bit her lip. 

    “Will you forsake my order?” Coming to squeeze his hand back, she shook her head. 

    “No…Wangja-nim.” 

    “Good.” A large man came out of nowhere and punched her in the jaw. Down she went. 

    “Tiye!” 

    “Your little woman will not survive. And neither will you.” He lifted his fist to strike him but instead struck earth as he rolled away. Adrenaline kicked in and blocked the pain as they ran towards each other, colliding with one another. He punched him in the jaw in return and tried to get his hands around his neck but the much larger man turned, smashing him back against the ground. He lifted his knee and pushed at the protruding piece of arrow in his side, bringing an enraged yell from him. He head-butted him once, twice, thrice before he finally repealed, falling on his side.         

    Ignoring the blood that traveled down into his eyes, he wasted no time as he crawled on top of him. Grabbing a nearby rock, he lifted it and began to strike him, crushing his head with each blow. Blood spurt up onto his face but he kept going until a bloody pulp of brain matter and fragments of skull remained. Crawling on all fours, he blinked past the blood, even in the red haze her body remained. Still. Unmoving. 

    “Tiye…” He grunted, tears coming to his eyes, washing them clean…forcing the blood to travel down his cheeks. 

    “TIYE!” She moved not the nearer he got to her and at long last, he pulled himself up against her, grabbing onto her hair. 

    “Wake up.” His hands felt wet and he knew it was her blood that soaked them. He pressed his forehead against hers, the skin underneath him clammy and moist. The screams of the men around them didn’t matter to him… not right now. He needed her to open her eyes and look at him. 

    “Wake up!” He grit out through clenched teeth, lifting eyes to her face. 

    “WANGJA-NIM!” Eyes fell to her lips, normally smooth and supple now chapped and caked with blood. He could feel it…feel it with his pressed so close to hers. The breath that traveled up through them and landed on his mouth. Fresh tears washed him anew as he felt it again. 

    “Wangja-nim.” Lifting up, he saw the woman Hae standing there, blood splattered across her face as well. She held two long geom, each soaked with blood. 

    “Where is Sang-Ook?”

    “He is alive. Yoo-shik too.”

    “Mal-Chin?” Swallowing thickly, she shook her head no. 

    “We must go Wangja-nim.” 

    “Will you take her?” 

    “Yes.” Taking hold of her hand, she helped him stand. 

    “You need to be treated… immediately.” She voiced, concern heavy. 

    “Not now. Not until we’re away from this place.” She didn’t argue as she went to retrieve her comrade, lifting her up into her arms. All around them, massacre laid in their wake. Mutilated body parts, heads severed and carnage littered the battle field. Blood created a thick sea around them and the earth rejected it at first, soon soaking it up. Eyes lifted upward to the horizon, at all the bodies that dangled over or that had fallen and split in two down further the mountainside. 

    Bringing his gaze away, a laugh made him pause. Lowering his eyes to a man who still itched for a fight, he reached into his boseon and placed his geumjangdo into his mouth, reaching behind him to draw his bow and arrow. 

    “You asked me earlier. Who sent me. Who sent my men.” He fired, striking his arm. Taking a step forward, he drew again. The man groaned, mouth still in a smile. 

    “Wang Seo Jun.” His eyes grew wide and Hae audibly gasped behind him. He struck again in his other arm. The man reached up to break the arrow, both in each arm but went down when he struck him in a thigh. 

    “Y-Your own brother put a hit on you.” He struck his other thigh and threw the bow and arrow down, now taking the geumjangdo from his mouth. The man spit blood towards him and he lifted eyes from the mixture at his feet. 

    “He paid me extra just to serve your head on a platter.” Glancing towards the unconscious woman Hae held he smirked, blood starting to seep through his teeth. 

    “Even more for her. Do you want me to…tell you what he wanted from her?” Lifting the geom, he pressed it against the man’s neck. 

    “Be silent.” He hissed, leaning down to glare into the man’s eyes head on. 

    “You’ve talked enough.”

    “Not… until I tell you what he wanted Wang Cheol Su.” Eyes finding her, he opened his mouth in a laugh, twin streams of blood dripping down either side of his mouth. 

    “He wanted her whole lower half, stomach down to her knees. Disemboweled and stuffed with silk. Ask me why pyeha.” He shoved him on his back, eyes growing dark with fury. Lifting his fingers he whistled, the shrill sound bringing forth the sound of hooves. He quietly stepped back as Dong-Il came towards him. Neighing loudly, he lifted on his front legs before bearing down on one of the man’s legs, bringing a series of tortured screams from the man. Then and only then did the smile disappear. He knelt down, taking hold of the man’s hair. 

    “Perhaps it is your head I shall bring back to deliver to him. A job well done for his faithful servant.” The man wheezed and spit out the words, teeth bared, lips curled up in that sick twisted smile.

    “Your little heathen over there….the bitch with skin like tar. He wanted me to deliver this message to you. That he can still feel her lips wrapped around his shaft. And…and he wanted to know…know if the hole between her legs was as tight as the one on her face.” The laughs that sprung up from the man were immediately silenced as he sliced his head clean off. The eyes of the decapitated head watched as he lifted the geom and stabbed him in the heart, his entrails soon spilling free from an opened torso. 

    “W-Wangja…” He slowly stood, entire front half of him covered in blood and eyed the head whose eyes had stopped blinking. Picking it up by the hair, he turned to face Yoo-shik, Hae and Sang-Ook all of whom had grown pale, the brutality of what he’d done shocking them.

    “Let’s go.” He ordered, walking past them towards Dong-Il. Handing Yoo-shik the severed head, he mounted him, arms extended for Tiye. Pulling her into the saddle, he lifted a hand to her face, now warm. Holding tight to her, arms around her waist, they soon set off away from the land that held all secrets, one that would never tell a soul anything. Ever. 

 

 

 

*** 

 

    They’d reached Song two days later to the relief of Emperor Renzong. But as he set eyes on the condition of the motley crew, he felt sick to his stomach. The one they called Wang Cheol Su, said to be of kind character and gentle heart was not who rode into his camp. Slicked from head to toe in dried blood, his eyes were hard and cold and his jaw was set like stone. He held a woman who appeared to be sleeping, a strange woman whose skin resembled black jade. His guards drew their arrows but he lifted a hand to halt them. 

    “Identify yourself young one.” He ordered the man. 

    “I am Wang Cheo Su. Crown Prince of Goryeo.” 

    “Who are these people that travel with you?”

    “The woman behind me is one of my concubines. The two men are members of my royal military guard.” 

    “As for the woman you hold on your lap?” 

    “She is a servant, given by my father.” Coming out from the screened fortress, a fleet of guards went before him and surrounded him on all sides as he approached them. 

    “Xiu Ying, take the women to the female quarters. My daughter will see that they are cared for.” 

    “At once Huangdi.” One of the men approached him and Dong-Il neighed in warning. 

    “Easy Dongie. Easy. She’ll be all right.” He calmed his steed, allowing them to take her. 

    “See that no harm comes to her.” He instructed the guard, the tongue of Song on his lips. Sang-Ook watched as they took his woman and together they disappeared within the palace. 

    “Come Prince of Goryeo. Allow me to welcome you properly to Song.” Dismounting, he swallowed thickly as the men led them into the confines of the Palace. As Emperor Renzong watched the men sit down, he felt a tearing in his stomach. Just what on earth had this boy experienced? 

 

 

 

*** 

    When she came to, she was in a bath. Gasping for air, her once limp body shot up and she grabbed onto whatever it was in front of her which happened to be the neck of one of the attendants. They screamed at her in a foreign tongue and she eyed them wildly, starting to rise up out of the water. 

    “Tiye-ah! It’s okay!” Hearing the familiar tongue of Korean, she turned to see Hae also in the bath, coming towards her. At once she let the neck of the girl go. Hae turned to the women and uttered something in their language. 

    “Where are we?” She asked, glancing around. They were in a large jade tub filled with roses and steamy water. 

    “We are in Song.”

    “I thought Wangja-nim wanted to go back to Goryeo.” She sighed as one of the women lifted her arm to scrub at the dirt, blood and sweat. 

    “He wouldn’t have survived the long trip back and he knew it. He needed medical attention and so did you.”Accepting her answer, she swallowed as she watched an attendant lift her arm. She looked at it curiously but at the stony expression on her face, immediately began to scrub, the blood of days past soiling the water. 

    “Where is he now?” 

    “Resting in the medical ward.”

    “Ah.” 

    “Relax dear friend. We are safe.” Taking a deep breath, she let all of the tension leave her body and while she visibly relaxed, she kept a careful eye on the women who bathed her. Sweet smelling perfumes were poured on her hair and it lathered, sending the dried caked up blood, dirt and sweat down her shoulders into the water. She sighed in relief and some of the women, all strangers to her, smiled as they continued to clean her. Soon, they were ushered out as the water was too dirty to continue and brought into a beautiful bedroom. Dresses of every color were laid out before them. One of the women spoke to Hae and she translated. 

    “She says that during our stay, we are guests of His Imperial Highness by way of Wangja-nim. Therefore, we shall have our desires met. She tells us to pick a dress to wear to dinner.” Feeling her cheeks flush, she gingerly fingered the material and gasped at the feel. It was real silk, soft and lush. 

    “She asks if you like that one.” Soft magenta and sky blue brilliantly popped against her hand and she nodded yes. The woman smiled and selected it for her. Hae also picked one and soon they were dressed and led into the dining pavilion. 

 

 

***

 

    He stood, having his wound freshly cleaned, wrapped and smeared with a thick medicinal paste. 

    "Wángzǐ, would you like to wear the hanfu provided for you?" One of the attendants asked politely, motioning to a gold and black hanfu, dragon emblem weaved all throughout. 

    “I appreciate it but no. I shall wear my own clothing that I brought with me.” Seeming to understand, the servant bowed out of the way, hands leading towards the door. He grit his teeth but held his posture as he followed the three men into the dining pavilion. The sight of his comrades brought a wave of relief that washed over him like a cold sweat. But one person made his heart beat ten times faster. Tiye. Clothed in the hanfu of Song, she took his breath away. She rose from her seat. Briskly walking over to him, she lifted hands to his chest, seeming to roam them across his torso. Before she could brush his wound, he took hold of her hands, stopping her. 

    “Wangja-nim…”

    “I’m so glad…eolin-i. Glad to see you. Alive and awake.” She lifted teary eyes and gave a brave little smile. 

    “You’d be a mess remember? If I wasn’t here?” Squeezing her hands tight, he returned her smile, teeth on full display. 

     “Wángzǐ, please join us.” The voice of Emperor Renzong forced the moment to end but he held onto her hand as she led him to his prepared spot. She went to help him but he refused her gently, telling her that he was all right. His side hurt like a bitch but he’d be damned if he appeared even the slightest amount of weak in front of the Song Emperor. 

    “Is the medicine working young one?” He asked, reaching for his cup of tea, housed in a cup of pure jade and gold. 

    “Yes. Thank you.” He asked, reaching for his own cup. 

    “My apologies for the situation you endured on your way here.” He waved his hand, a dismissal. 

    “We knew the risks we ran by coming. It is something we overcame.” Satisfied with his answer, the man nodded, taking a sip of tea. 

    “Even so, you are but a boy of seventeen phases. One should not be so experienced in battle.” Lifting his gaze onto the man, he sipped slowly. 

    “Perhaps not for an ordinary boy. But I am not that boy Huangdi. I am the future ruler of Goryeo.” The man laughed heartily, startling the group. 

    “If I have offended you I offer my apology.” He gave a small smile, tight as it was. 

    “No boy would have marched into my camp the way you did. This is true. You are young yes but you have proven yourself to be a man. That is for certain.” Turning eyes onto Tiye, he lowered his cup, silently requesting that it be refilled. 

    “The girl. What is she to you?” 

    “She is a servant as I stated before.” He answered, tone not offering any further explanation. 

    “A servant who clings to you like a woman bound by love. How interesting.” To that, he didn’t respond. 

    “Her skin….it is like black jade. How beautiful and mysterious.” He remained quiet as he tapped the edge of his cup on the golden tray before him, signaling dinner to be served. Floods of servants entered the room, each woman carrying a dish that smelled better than the first. 

    “Huangdi, you didn’t have to do this.”

    “You are the son of the Dragon of Goryeo. Anything less would be an insult.” Foods of all different variety were placed in front of them on a long extended table. 

    “You may help yourself.” He bowed, letting his forehead touch the ground in reverence before lifting up, pushing the pain in his side to the back of his mind. Glancing at Tiye, he walked past her to the table. He could hear her get up and follow close behind. She lifted jeotgarak and began to place small amounts of food on his plate that he motioned towards.      

 Handing the plate to him, she bowed as he left the table and headed back towards his seat. Then and only then did she help herself, taking modest amounts of what appealed to her. Yoo-shik went next and Sang-Ook and Hae behind him. When they were all seated, Emperor Renzong motioned for the other members of his court to go. They all gathered plates and sat. 

    “Let us eat hm? Let us thank the gods for your travels here, your safe arrival and your enjoyment during your stay.”They all lifted up their cups in a toast and began to fill their bellies. 

 

*** 

 

    To say that she was relieved would be an understatement. She could, however, see the pain that traveled through his face every time he moved. He did well to conceal it though. She understood why. If the Prince of Goryeo was seen as weak then his people would be considered weak. Here and now, it was all about keeping up appearances. A very beneficial alliance was in the making and she was not going to get in the way of that. He’d never forgive her. Dinner ended after dragging on rather long. She took a breath as the two female servants of earlier came in. They said something to Hae and she turned to face her. 

    “The Emperor wishes that we retire now.”

    “What about Wangja-nim?”

    “My guess is that they are going to continue talking for quite a while.” She resisted the urge to stay and bowed her head towards him. The gentle touch of his hand on the crown of her head made her smile and she pulled away, getting up with Hae. 

    “I’m sure he will request you to visit him later.” She whispered as she linked arms with her. Perhaps… 

 

*** 

 

    It was nightfall by the time he made it back to his chambers. But at his request, there she was, sitting there patiently on the floor. The Song hanfu had been discarded for something more familiar to the both of them…a pair of baji and jeoksam. Smiling, he closed the door loud enough for her to hear it and turned. 

    “Were you waiting long eolin-i?” 

    “Not long at all.” He peeled off his jeogori and laid it across one of the tables in the parlor. 

    “How are you feeling?” With a sigh, he came towards her and sat down, pain fresh on his face. 

    “I’ve been better.” He grit through his teeth and she turned fully, coming to gently press fingers against the wrapped bandages. 

    “You don’t have to be strong. Not here. Not with me.” She said, lifting worried eyes upward. Taking her hand, he held onto it for the longest time, observing the way their skin tones clashed. 

    “Wangja-nim-”

    “It’s finished.” She didn’t need to ask what because she already knew. Swallowing thickly, she nodded. 

    “Tell me something Tiye.” 

    “Anything.”

    “If I asked you what your greatest hearts desire is what would it be?” For a moment, she bit her lips in thought before she answered. 

    “There are a few that I cannot seem to choose between.” 

    “Such as?” Red set her cheeks aglow but she answered just the way he liked…strongly. 

    “One would be to walk the shore of my motherland, eat her fruits and drink from her wells again. To be surrounded by those who look, sound, and think like me.”

    “You’re homesick.” He mused, gliding his thumb across the back of her hand with a small smirk. 

    “Terribly so.” 

    “You shall once again be returned to your homeland Tiye.” 

    “I believe you Wangja-nim. I don’t doubt it or you for a second.” He swallowed thickly lifting his eyes to hers. 

    “What is the other thing you struggle to choose between?” 

    “Staying with you. The desire to never leave.” She answered with no hesitation and at that, his cheeks grew a delightful shade of pink. But his eyes were of a different force altogether. 

    “Should you eventually desire to leave or stay…That choice I leave with you. But for my sake, I hope that you too never leave.” Drawing her eyes away from the intensity of his gaze, she smiled. 

    “I imagine that I have given you a fright.”

    “How so?” 

    “It’s interesting that in battle, we become not ourselves. All former identity fades away and survival kicks in. The desire to live.” She lifted her other hand to pause his thumb’s movement. 

    “Indeed.”

    “I fear that this journey may change the way we are with one another. Do you fear me?” Swallowing the lump in her throat, she matched his gaze, fearless.

    “Never. You are my Wangja-nim. There is no amount of earth, sea or heaven that shall separate me from you.” 

    “Then the time has come that we find ourselves at a crossroads. Do we not?”  Confusion bled into her features. 

    “A crossroads?”  He grew closer and closer until they fell back against lush tester pillows.   For a good solid minute, she couldn’t speak… couldn’t think for that matter. He sighed against her neck and she felt a gentle warmth ignite her heart. 

    “We are at the crossroads of life. The moment is here for us to decide how we shall live it. Together.” Lifting her arms, she wrapped them around his shoulders. 

    “What place do I have in your Kingdom? In this new world that you will create with your bare hands?”  He lifted his eyes to hers.

    “You shall serve many functions.” Her breath hitched in her throat as he leaned down closer, lips terribly close to hers. 

    “For now eolin-i, we shall gather rest. Our trip here had been most exhausting.” He leaned up to kiss her forehead with a smile. Without another word, he pulled away from her completely. 

    “Come. Let us retire.” Lifting, he outstretched his hand to hers and soon they slept in the beautifully ornate canopy bed, clothed in quiet and peace. 






Chapter End Notes:

 

A/N: HAPPY FRIYAYYYY!!!! hehee. SO, some of y'all guessed it, called it, sensed it and y'all was RIGHT. Seo-Jun employed those men to take out his little brother. Y'all know why. He's such a coward oh my gosh. Y'all KNOW Cheol-Su gon get that a**. It's coming. Speaking of our prince, he's definitely seen some character development hasn't he? He ain't the ONE and everyone will soon find that out. Even his brother. There is a shift taking place between our sun and moon. Can you feel it? I've got terms, gifs and pictures below!! 

Leave your thoughts, likes, dislikes, concerns, etc. Also in that comment as to how you are doing in the midst of this pandemic! Are your families okay? I love and pray for each of you! AH! I have some exciting news! I will be compositing a volume of short novels/narratives! It is in the works and I will let you know when the book will be for sale! Novels like this such one will be included! 

It's something that I have wanted to do for a while now but never got around to it! <3 Will y'all be down? Lemme know! 

Love y'all! See y'all soon! 

D&L

 

Terms: 

 boseon- Socks that are worn with hanbok.

geumjangdo- A type of small dagger or sword that men typically carried with them for protection.

Huangdi- Emperor

hanfu-traditional clothing of the Chinese. Below are the hanfu Tiye and Hae wore to dinner. (left is Hae. Right is Tiye) 

tester- from the information I found, tester was like a type of padding used in beds way before the kind we have now. 

Wángzǐ- son of a King 

Jeotgarak- Korean for "chopsticks"

 Jeoksam-A thin "jacket" that is directly worn under the jeogori. Below is basically how Tiye appears. 

 

The feast they were gifted with:

Tiye's hair:

 Cheol-Su's bed (rather the shell of it lol):

And lastly, what I imagine Cheol-Su's face to have appeared once finding out his brother's betrayal and his offense against Tiye:







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.