Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Beta Reader: Jsilver2000


Summary: Saana is now on Vulcan, and she and Amanda have quickly bonded, like long-lost friends. Healer Shath is showing interest in Saana as more than just a patient. We pick up back on the Enterprise after the successful mission to save the people of the former New Jersey Colony.

See the source image

See the source image




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

End of Week 3: Realization

Nurse Brian Carroll and two nurses from the Potemkin approached Spock and Nyota:

"I'm sorry we weren't properly introduced. I'm Jean Silverton, nurse on the Potemkin."

She reached out and shook Nyota's hand rapidly. "That was some awesome flying!"

"That sure was! Thanks for rescuing us!" the second nurse said. "I'm Ashley Boyle, also a nurse on the Potemkin. I don't want to think about what would have happened if you hadn't been there."

"Don't forget your part in helping the patients; they are here safely because of you!" Nyota said.

Ashley stepped forward and hugged Nyota.

Nurse Carroll took one look at Spock and those arched eyebrows and didn't dare think about hugging the Vulcan's wife.

"Lieutenant Uhura, that was great flying! I wouldn't mind working with you again-but hopefully in better circumstances," Brian said, chuckling. "Thank you, Lieutenant!"

Nyota looked at Jean and Ashley, and fond memories flooded her thoughts: "Did you say the Potemkin?" Nyota asked.

"Yes, under Captain Morgan," Jean replied.

"He was my CO several years ago."

They chitchatted for a little while until they were reminded to check in. The three nurses left for Sickbay, followed by Nyota and Spock.

Christine had gone unnoticed. She had watched the whole exchange between Spock, Nyota, and the nurses. It was the same quiet trance she saw in Nyota during the rescue. "They-they look good together; Spock looked-looks happy too." A lump formed in her throat. They had nearly lost their lives when the Huron crashed and Nyota went unselfishly to save a man she didn't know. Then a hand touched her shoulder, and she turned to see her old friend.

"You okay?"

"Yes, Doctor; I'm just fine." She gave him a quizzical look: "Why did you assign me to Nyota's shuttle?"

McCoy was all innocence: "I coordinated a team that would suit the rescue mission. And it turned out the best team saved a whole shuttle of survivors."

"Are you sure you're not playing psychiatrist, Leonard?"

"What? And try to outdo Doctor Robinson? You give me too much credit, Christine! Now head to Sickbay and get checked out," McCoy ordered.

Christine gave him a knowing smirk before leaving to head to Sickbay.

Captain Kirk, who had watched the interaction between Christine and McCoy, approached the doctor with concern in his eyes.

"Did it work, Bones?"

"Huh? Did what work?"

Kirk gave him the eye: "Seriously? I'm your friend, and I know when you're up to something."

McCoy gave a sly chuckle: "I was hoping that if they worked together, they might find a way to get back to their former relationship. I think I may have hit the target there."

"How so?"

"People somethings rethink their lives when a crisis arises and they are forced to work together and depend on each other to survive. I don't know what happened down there, but I think it was positive."

"Like you and Spock? Well, Bones, I hope LaToya doesn't shoot you for doing her job!" Kirk said, smirking at his friend.


The survivors were accommodated throughout the ship. New friendships were formed between the colonists and the crew. Jason Vickman, the pilot of the shuttle Huron, recovered and thanked Nyota for saving his life.


When Kirk returned to the bridge, Chekov showed the Captain the recording of the planetoid exploding 15 minutes after they warped out of orbit. It was a spark in the vast space. Kirk took time to award commendations to the crew for their performance during the crisis; they had performed exceedingly well under difficult and, in some cases, life-threatening conditions.


Once Nyota had been checked for radiation exposure, Spock didn't waste any time taking his wife to their shower and engaging in her favorite activity. He showed his love by carefully washing her body, which he adored. Afterward, he picked up her nude body, and she rested her head on his shoulder. Nyota knew he had been worried, and knew as well that she needed to get used to his overprotectiveness. They snuggled together on their bed in the dim light and drifted off to sleep.


Christine sat alone in her quarters and reflected on the whole event: her former friend had saved them all. "How can you fight that?!" She grabbed her pillow and lay down in her dimly lit room and imagined Spock. She had watched him with Nyota in the shuttle bay and saw that he really cared for her. He hadn't said anything to her; he had just looked into her eyes and somehow expressed his feelings. It was strange: even on the planet at one point, Nyota had been in a sort of trance, as though they were talking to each other. But most importantly, Spock seemed happy. "Don't you want that for everyone, especially Spock?" she asked herself. Yes, she wanted Spock happy; she just wished that it could be she who made him happy. But he had chosen a once-close friend. She had loved two men who had touched her heart: one she had lost and one she now needed to let go of if she wanted to live. Tears started running down her face because she had finally accepted the reality: Spock belonged to someone else. She wanted him to be happy. She hoped that Nyota would meet all of his needs and that she would take care of Spock. Christine had to trust that Nyota loved Spock with all her heart as she does-well, once did. A deep sobbing cry came forward, uncontrollably, from the depth of her soul. Spock was lost to her: "Oh, Nyota, please take care of our Spock.'" Christine had taken the first step in the healing process.


Meanwhile, in Lt. Sulu's quarters, another relationship was developing:

Sulu and Charlene sat across from each other with their hands entwined. Both were struggling with unspoken words.

Finally, Charlene sighed deeply and said, "I'm glad you made it safely back, 'Karu."

"I wasn't scared-I was just worried about time. It was unknown how much time we had on the planetoid."

"Mr. Spock's estimates were fantastically accurate."

'Karu noticed they were engaging in small talk. He remembered what they had said to each other in the shuttle bay. He worked up his courage and brought up the subject of deepening their relationship:

"Do you remember what you said in the shuttle bay?"

Charlene released his hands and formed hers into tight fists. She lowered her eyes and softly said:

"Yes-I meant what I said."

"I meant what I said too."

She looked up into his almond-shaped eyes and smiled: "Cool, I can deal with that. I'm ready to take our relationship further."

"Me too. You're awesome, Char."

"Thanks! Just to let you know, I'm the jealous type, and I will kick your a$$ if I catch you two-timing me."

"O-kay... like some kind of psycho thing?"

"Not that. I just want you to know that I'm all in or all out," Charlene said, giving him a serious look.

Karu chuckled and said, "It's a deal. I'm all in with you, Char."

Sulu leaned toward Charlene and gave her a solid kiss that showed his commitment to their relationship, which they then consummated with a long love-making session.


Kirk was tired. He was still on duty and had had most of the beta shift relieved because it was on their watch that the distress call came through. The relief crew was still in place. He was still in his sleep pants and an on-duty shirt, and his face was unshaven. But he had to make sure the colonists were settled in, set up a debriefing for all department heads, and get the ship on course to make up the time they had lost during the rescue. A yeoman handed him another coffee and a tray of food as he waited for his alpha shift to return. Ensign Wu at the Communications station turned to the Captain:

"Captain Kirk, I have Captain Morgan on channel one."

"Put him on the main monitor, Ensign."

Captain Morgan appeared on the main viewer, also in a state of disarray:

"Jim, it's a pleasure."

"The same to you, Terrell."

Morgan started chuckling: "Jim, you look like I feel!"

"Then I take it as a good thing," Kirk said, chuckling with him.

"I want to personally thank you for saving part of my crew; I was very concerned when they crashed."

"Yes, I'm glad we got out of there with no losses!"

"Yes, the mission was a total success."

"Your pilot has recovered and is working his charms on my nurses."

Both men laughed with relief.

"Well, Jim, the space chatter is all about you: that you are en route to Vulcan for a reception and that you're escorting some high dignitary. I think they mentioned a prince?"

Kirk thought to himself: "Space chatter about us? Does everyone know?" "That's the plan; how did you find out?"

"It's like this: Per orders from Starfleet Command, it seems that after this rescue mission, I'm instructed to escort the Enterprise to Vulcan. Who do you have onboard, Jim?"

Kirk ran a hand through his hair, thinking that the Enterprise had taken a detour from its course to Vulcan, and now the brass want to make sure they make it on time.

"It's my science officer. He just got married recently, and they want them to get there for a reception. We were pulled from patrol to bring them back safely."

"Mr. Spock, the Vulcan right? Who did he marry?"

"My Communications officer, Uhura."

"Ensign Nyota Uhura? Did I hear you right?"

"She's a lieutenant now, plus she's the chief of that department."

Morgan sat back in awe of his former Communications officer: "Damn great officer; I miss that one!"[1]

"She's one of the best. I want to thank you for... giving her to me," Kirk said, internally snickering at the thought.

"It was hard to part with her; trust me when I say that."

Changing the subject, Morgan admonished Kirk good-naturedly: "So when we reach Starbase Twelve, don't go sneaking off, Jim, or I'll lose my job!"

"I'll be too tired to do anything crazy."

"I hear that. I'm waiting for my alpha shift and then debriefing too!"

The two captains shared a tired chuckle, and then Morgan said, "Give my congratulations to the couple, Jim, and please inform Uhura she is welcome to come back to the Potemkin any time."

"Not happening, not in our lifetime. You would have to go through her husband, and that is definitely not happening!"

Both men laughed at the other's banter.

"Take care, Jim. Godspeed!"

"You too, Terrell."

Kirk sat back and reflected on the impact that his two friends had had on Starfleet. Now Vulcan wants to make sure they get there with no delay. This operation had set them back at least 72 hours.


Nyota finally woke up feeling cool; the warm body that had kept her safe and comfortable was gone. She sat up to find Spock fully dressed, sitting at his desk working. He sensed her and looked up to greet her.

"Spock, why didn't you wake me?"

"Aduna, you required rest. I have to relieve the Captain; he has been on duty since the mission."

Spock moved over to the bed and looked at her. He caressed her cheek with his fingers, touching her gently. Nyota leaned into his hand with closed eyes, and their love and thoughts passed through their touch.

"I will see you at the debriefing meeting in three point five hours."

Spock leaned in so that their foreheads were touching, his feelings still transmitting through their bond. He got up and left for duty.

Nyota took a deep breath. She felt so blessed for having found Spock. Her life felt complete. All his emotions flowed through her, as well as his thoughts. The bond between them was so comforting to her."Love you, Spock,"she sent to him from her heart. She got up and got ready for the debriefing in the conference room.


Exactly 3.5 hours later, the debriefing room was full of department heads giving Captain Kirk and Commander Spock their reports on their people's performance during and after the New Jersey rescue operation. The Quartermaster displayed a schematic showing where the majority of the survivors had been quartered, as well as the adjustments that had been made for their accommodation. The shuttles and the shuttle bay were in the process of being restored to readiness by the auxiliary crew. Kirk rated each department and gave feedback. McCoy gave updates on critical patients and the treatments provided.

"I want each department head to commend each team member for their sacrifice and performance. The rescue mission was a success achieved without any losses, which speaks volumes. My last order before we reach Starbase Twelve is to treat each colonist as our distinguished guest. These people have lost everything. They are tired and worried. Every person is to extend all courtesies to the New Jersey colonists. Any questions?"

Kirk looked around at his seasoned crew and they all nodded in agreement.

"Dismissed."

After the meeting, Kirk turned over command to Spock so he could rest. The Enterprise crew treated the colonists as their honored guests and fulfilled every request. They observed their worried faces and despair. The colonists were truly grateful, and new friendships were formed.


The Enterprise reached Starbase 12 along with the other two starships; they were able to dock and unload the passengers with ease. Jason, Ashley, and Jean were able to have lunch with Brian, Christine, and Nyota during their stay on the Enterprise. They reviewed the incident and were amazed at how the event had turned out. They were able to transport back to the Potemkin during the docking procedures. The three starships remained at the starbase to resupply and grant a brief (12-hour) shore leave to their crews. The three captains were able to entertain themselves at a local bar and update each other on what had transpired on their ships and among their crews. The starship Hood continued on its mission, while Potemkin prepared to escort Enterprise.


Captain Morgan was able to see Nyota and Spock together when they shared dinner while en route to Vulcan:

Morgan looked at the pair with curiosity, wondering how these two very different people had meshed. In his experience, Vulcan people were generally very reserved-to a point that they almost seemed timid. But watching his former Communications officer-with her bright, shining smile-sip her drink, he could only conclude that she looked happy. It was such a contrast to his memory of how she had been when he met her on the Potemkin: she had looked like a broken woman after fleeing from that arse of man she had once been entangled with.

"Well, Mr. Spock and Nyota, congratulations on your wedding! I wish I had known; I would've planned a banquet or given you a wedding gift," Morgan said with sincerity.

"Our wedding wasn't on the A-list announcements, Captain Morgan. It was more discreet," Nyota told him with a chuckle.

Spock sat next to her with his famous stoic face, but he was sending his thoughts through their bond. He bowed his head in acknowledgment and said:

"Vulcan wedding practices are different from those of Terran or other cultures; that is why our wedding was not widely disclosed."

"I see. I didn't mean disrespect. I'm just happy that Nyota is happy," Morgan replied.

"Oh no! We didn't take it that way," Nyota said. "A lot of people don't know much about Vulcan culture; Spock was the first Vulcan to attend Starfleet Academy after all."

Morgan saw a different woman, Nyota had grown and was more experienced. He had heard about her heroics while flying the shuttle and saving his crew. He was proud of her. The evening continued, and they had a wonderful dinner and reunion.


"How are you doing?"

Christine took a deep breath. She was looking better and had a better demeanor. She actually smiled. LaToya saw it and lifted both her brows in wonder.

"I think... I think I'm doing better, LaToya. I had a life experience with Nyota during the rescue mission."

"What? How did that happen?"

"I was assigned by Doctor McCoy to work with her; how strange was that?"

"Yes, how strange? I think Len was doing my job without my knowledge." LaToya was shocked to hear about this turn of events, and made a mental note to make sure her next meeting with Dr. McCoy would be an interesting one. "I've got a bone to pick with that man," LaToya thought.

"Tell me what happened during the mission."

"It was an intense mission. We didn't know if the colonists-or even ourselves-were going to survive. When the shuttle from the Potemkin crashed, Uhura rushed out to save the crew. Then we were overweight, and she figured out how to compensate for it and saved us."

"That was a tense moment. How did you feel working with Nyota?"

"That's the thing. It was-like we meshed-we worked as a team. We saved a man who was injured. At that moment there was no hate, anger, or hurt. It felt like how we were years ago," Christine said with a tight sob in her voice.

"Really? That's quite interesting. So did you and Nyota connect somehow?"

"No... not really. But I thought about it later on. I don't feel hatred for Nyota for her relationship with Spock. I saw something else."

"Like what?"

Christine sighed deeply and dropped her shoulders: "I came to realize that Spock should be happy or in love. I saw that after the mission. I want Spock to be happy in his marriage. Even if it's with my one-time friend. I think I can live with that."

"Wow, Christine! You've said a lot, and it makes sense. If you can hold onto those thoughts, you can move forward in letting all of this go."

"We live in space, LaToya, and I had forgotten that we could die at any moment. I worked hard to be head nurse. I have to learn to see this as my next adventure or something. I'm still hurting, though. When I saw them in the shuttle bay, looking at each other, it really hurt to see him with someone else."

Tears started running down her face: "But I want him to be happy in his marriage. I just wish it could have been me. I have to learn to accept that it is not."

LaToya gave Christine a tissue and took note of how she had analyzed herself. It was a start. She would inform Dr. McCoy that Christine needed a break from the ship to clear her head. Christine needed downtime to process the fact that the man-well, two men-she loved is gone, and that that possible future was closed to her forever. That the man of her dreams had chosen another to marry is not easy for any woman to accept; and then to have to watch them together daily is worse.

"Christine? Do you like to swim?"

"Yes, I do."

"Why don't you go for a long swim? I find it relaxing, and I do my best critical and reflective thinking in water."

"It did work for me in the past, back when my life was not so complicated," Christine said with a small chuckle.

"So how do you feel about the situation now?"

"I still feel stressed, but I have a better grip on how I see Nyota and Spock. I remember you asked me about talking to Nyota; the prospects for that look a little better."

"That's good, Christine... it's a start."


A few hours later, Dr. McCoy sat in his office, awaiting his impending doom. He knew he would get an earful about interfering with LaToya's case. He had his arsenal ready:

His utter faith in Nyota and Christine to perform well under pressure and renew their respect for each other, his folksy demeanor, and, most importantly, Saurian brandy!

He knew it was one of her favorites; it was almost everyone's illegal favorite. It was best known for hitting the system like a rocket blasting off its pad. The door swished open and McCoy swiveled around to find LaToya leaning against the door frame. He saluted her and extended the glass of brandy in her direction. She looked at him skeptically, familiar with his repertoire.

"Len, what's the big deal?"

McCoy gave her his most innocent look: "Whatever do mean, LaToya?"

"Don't do that or I'll crown you! What did you think you were doing? And why did you do it?"

McCoy took a deep breath, still holding the glass of brandy toward her. "Join me for an nightcap?" he asked, trying to raise the temperature in the room.

She slowly took the glass and took a small sip. McCoy offered her a seat. She sat, but continued to glare at him, letting him know that he was not yet forgiven.

McCoy lifted his glass toward her for a toast with his best smile.

"Still waiting."

"It was spur-of-the moment idea. I knew I was taking a risk when I assigned them to the same shuttle. Something could have happened, and then neither Kirk nor Spock would ever have forgiven me."

"What made you think it would work?"

"I don't know, a psychological hunch? WHAT THE HELL DO I KNOW?!"

He looked at LaToya and wondered what Christine had told her: "Did Christine say anything about the mission?"

"Don't deflect; keep talking. I'm still waiting."

"I've worked with her since she was assigned. She is hard working, has high moral values, and is committed to her job. I watched her deteriorate when it became known she was attracted to Spock. Her obsession with him affected her relationships with her friends. There was nothing I could do, but I tried my darnedest to warn her off her affection for that Vulcan. She didn't hear me until now."

"I'm really pissed off with you, Len! You shouldn't have done that. You gave me Christine to counsel and then you interfered."

"I'm... I'm sorry about that, LaToya. I didn't mean to make your job harder. You helped me out before."

"That's just it, Len. You let me do my job. Now, friend to friend: Why did you do it?"

McCoy took a sip of his drink, reluctant to show his cards. "I did it for a friend."

"No! Kirk and Spock are your friends!"

"I did it to save her career then."

LaToya shook her head, knowing Len was giving a lame excuse, the worst one even. She suspected she knew why he did it and was debating calling him out on it.

"If that's your answer, Len, then I'm gonna have to call you out; even if you deny it, I will know. By the way good stuff, my favorite."

McCoy chuckled at her: "I was trying to buy you off and avoid any questions beyond our professional roles. It seems it's not working."

LaToya looked closely at her colleague and folded her arms across her chest: "Len, be honest with me. You're in love with the woman aren't you?"

McCoy stared back at her in shame. He had never confessed that to anyone, and he wasn't ready to do it now. "It's not what you think, LaToya. She's a good woman who fell in love with the another man."

"Yeah, but you aren't that man. Len, it's okay that you were only trying to help her. Do I need to put you on my schedule?" LaToya asked, arching a brow.

McCoy bowed his head: "No, I've always handled my own therapy," he said, holding up his drink.

"I bet she's clueless to your attraction."

"I refuse to play second fiddle to anyone, especially to my friends."

LaToya thought about the drama that taken place:

First Boma's attraction to Uhura almost led to his dismissal.

Uhura's attraction to Spock caused friction with Christine.

Christine's fantasy over Spock destroyed her friendship with Uhura.

And now she has discovered that McCoy has a secret attraction for Christine-who doesn't know that he exists and is pain over her crushed dream of a life with Spock.

LaToya slowly shook her head:

"Len, let's take care of Christine's heart first. I recommend an extended shore leave for her, to help with her healing process."

"We have to lay over on Earth due to the Vulcan reception for Spock and Uhura. We have to pick up some dignitaries and brass."

"Sounds like a plan. In the meantime, I will refrain from informing you of her progress. You are a sneak, Len, a real sneak!"

"I wanted to help her move on; I didn't mean any harm."

"I know that, but putting yourself into this scenario could complicate things. Trust me, it's complicated."

"I hope things get better between her and Uhura."

"I hope that you don't have resentment toward Spock?"

"Spock is my friend; plus I was best man at his wedding. I can keep a secret, LaToya."

LaToya stood, grabbed the rest of the brandy, and went to leave:

"Things are different now-just remember that! Thanks again for this!" she said, waving the bottle as she left.

McCoy sat in his office and thought about his feelings for a woman who was deeply in love with one of his best friends. "Could the relationship work? Can I get rid of the demons from my past? I miss my daughter."

 






Chapter End Notes:

 

A/N:

[1] Repercussions:

Captain Morgan is mentioned

 







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.