Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Sixty two year old, Patty Mae stood in front of her full length mirror, admiring how the peach flower print summer dress looked against her mocha colored skin. Running her hands through her loose grey curls that framed her face, she had to admit she looked good. 

"I bet I'll put all those hussies to shame." she mumbled

 

Thinking of the number one hussy, her enemy Bessie and how she was going to react, Patty Mae couldn't help the smile that appeared on her semi wrinkled face. Anything to get under that woman's skin brought pure joy to her life. 

Grabbing her bible off the nightstand, she made her way toward the kitchen. Stopping in her tracks, she noticed her granddaughter by the stove. Letting out a sigh of fustration, Patty Mae rolled her eyes. For the last few Sunday's like clockwork this child was in her kitchen cooking her a breakfast she knew Patty Mae didn't have the time to eat. Working on a time schedule, it was important she got to the church and to her favorite seat before Bessie big behind got there first. Patty Mae refused to sit in the second row and miss her clear view of the sexy Deacon Braxton.

Ten years her junior, she and every other widower over fifty had their eyes on him. Been that way since the good lord called his poor sweet wife Emma home three years ago. Three long years and it still seemed as if the Deacon wasn't ready to move on and into the arms of the woman that was made for him. Her. Time was going by slowy and even though she would have loved nothing more than to be the next Mrs. Deacon Braxton, Patty Mae had no problem waiting a little while longer, she just had to make sure she kept Bessie and those other heathen's out her way.

 

"Good morning, Nana." My'Asiah greeted as she ignored the frown on the older woman's face.

Fighting the urge to laugh, she knew her grandmother didn't approve of her coming over every morning and preparing her a meal. For some reason, that still was unknown to her, the woman simply didn't like to eat breakfast on Sunday's and wanted to head straight to church. My'Asiah was all for praising the lord and attented church faithfully, but this new excitement her grandmother was experiencing was beginning to affect her health.

Just a month ago she passed out in the middle of a sermon and if it wasn't for Deacon Braxton being near and catching her, she surely would have ended up on the floor.

 

My'Asiah briefly closed her eyes and let out a shaky breath. Just thinking about that day, had her feeling anxious. Never in her life did she ever what to experience that again. Watching the woman who had loved and raised her, passed out, sent a fear she hadn't felt since the death of her parents fourteen years ago. All types of thoughts were going through her head and the main one being that she was about to loss the only family she had left. Her grandmother was her world and she wasn't prepared to have her gone. She didn't think she would ever be prepared for that. The whole ordeal had left her so shaken up, that the members of the church wanted to transport her and her grandmother to the hospital. Even though the incident within itself only lasted a few seconds, but to My'Asiah it seemed like time stood still and she was frozen. She was tramatized but with a lilttle care from Deacon Braxton, Patty Mae was right as rain again.

It was during the ride home later that day that she confessed that she had been skipping meals and fainted due to being hungry. So since that day My'Asiah made sure her grandmother had a healthy and hearty meal, no matter how upset it made the other woman.

 

"Wipe that look off your face. I didn't go all out like I normally do since the church is having that big cookout and service will be shorter today."

 

Deciding not to comment and just sit down and eat, it took Patty Mae twenty minutes to finish the simple omelet her beloved granddaughter thought she prepared. The thing was huge and it could feed three people, but she still ate every bite. It was delicious, and she wasn't one to waste no food either.

 

"Okay, Baby Bop. Let's get this show on the road."

 

......................................................................................................................

 

My'Asiah walked her grandmother to her seat in the front row of the church and then took her seat four rows back. The elders of the community normally took up the front, leaving everyone else towards the back. First Euphoria Church Of Christ. Named after the town and being that it was the first and only church there, it was one of the largest buildings and held a large portion of their population. The town residents took great care of the old building and prided themselves on keeping it in good shape. 

 

Waiting for the sermon to start, My'Asiah started to mentally go over all the things she would need to order for her diner/bakery. Being the owner of Patty Cakes, My'Asiah was a jack of all trades when it came to cooking, but her place was known all over town for the desserts she made. Hence the name. The residents of Euphoria  went crazy for her cakes, pies, cookies, etc. Her place stayed so busy, that most nights she found herself closing shop way passed the closing time.

When she decided to open up her diner/bakery two years ago, she was worried that it wouldn't be received well. The town already had a diner that had been in business long before she was born and Mrs. Ann was a woman nobody wanted to go against. Still, with a little hope and her grandmother by her side, she took a leap of faith and followed her dreams. It didn't take long for people to start frequenting her business. They were tired of being overpriced for their food and dealing with the rudeness Mrs. Ann displayed everyday. For a town that wasn't big on change, they gladly welcomed Patty Cakes. The only downside was the onesided beef Mrs. Ann had with her. The woman was not happy about losing customers and was making it her business to try and get My'Asiah shutdown. There was countless of times she tried to get the health department involved or claimed My'Asiah stole her recipes. She was bitter and wanted the world to know.

 

Shaking her head from the negative thoughts, she put her focus back to the sermon that was beginning to start.

 

An hour later Pastor John had wrapped everything up and everybody begun to head toward the back of the church, ready for the cookout.

 

Grabbing a bottle of water out of the cooler, My'Asiah couldn't help but notice her grandmother and Ms. Bessie following Deacon Braxton around the yard. She had no clue what that was about, but she knew for a fact that Deacon Braxton loved his wife dearly and she doubted if he ever moved on.

 

"Hello, MyMy."

 

Feeling her whole body tense as she heard the deep braitone voice, she spun around and glared at the man in front off her. 6'5, 220 pounds of pure muscle. Beautiful green eyes and smooth light brown skin, courtesy of his African American father and Caucasion mother, he was fine and knew it. Therein lied the problem.

 

"Taj."

 

He chuckled. "I see I'm still not your favorite person."

 

"You're not my anything."

 

Sheriff Taj Holloway was not someone she wanted in her presence. The classic cliche' popular guy in school that all the girls had a crush on, My'Asiah included. Ignored throughout their school years due to her awkward and what she considered basic pyshical appearance.It wasn't until their senior yeah that they were assigned to work on a project together that things changed between the two of them. They started dating, and for a while she was the happiest girl ever. Attached to the one guy everyone wanted, there was some hellish moments from the other teenage girls, but she felt too special to care what they thought. Things didn't come to ahead until she gave him her virginity three months into the relationship and a few days after the whole ordeal her broke up with her.

Taj was never in love with her or even cared. It was all apart of a stupid game him and his friends played. They wanted to see how many virgins they could bed and she was just one of many on the list. It was then and there My'Asiah promised herself that she would never let another man close enough to break her heart again.

 

"Listen, I think we should talk. It's been years and I've been trying to..."his next words were cut off by the sudden commotion going on the other side of the yard. Headed towards the yelling and screaming, My'Asiah was shocked by what she saw.

 

"That's why I got your wig, you bald headed heffa!" Patty Mae shouted as she waved Bessie's wig in the air. Being held back by Deacon Willie, she was trying her best to get out his arms.

 

"I'm going to beat the morals into you, you Golden Girl's tramp!" Bessie threatened from Pastor John's arms.

 

"Oh my god!" My'Asiah gasped. Rushing over with Taj on her heels, she went after her grandmother. "Nana cut it out!"

 

"Tell that Holiday Heart trick to cut them dentures out her mouth!"

 

"I got your Holiday Heart, you Rupaul reject!" Bessie snatched off her glasses and tossed them at Patty Mae, clocking her in her head.

 

Swinging her arms wildly, Patty Mae knocked Deaon Willie in the eye, causing the man to immediately let her go. Taking off as if she wasn't a woman in her sixties, she charged Bessie like a linebacker, taking the Pastor down with them.

 

"Oh, lord. Somebody help me!" Pastor John, a man in his eighties bellowed.

 

Embarrassed by the whole scene, My'Asiah was only further shamed when Taj placed handcuffs on both her grandmother and Ms. Bessie. Pastor John was taken to the hospital with what she was praying wasn't a broken hip. Knowing that Taj was going to keep the old women in lock up for a few hours to teach them a lesson, one they seemed to never learn, she picked up her grandmother's shoes that she kicked off during the chaos and headed home. So much for a peaceful Sunday.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.