Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Welcome back! Here's another installment of Confessions of A Bridesmaid.

Song Inspiration:

"Mascara" by Jazmine Sullivan 

"Back To Black" by Amy Winehouse 

"Cool Off" by Missy Elliot

"First Began" by PJ Morton




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


One Week Later - Montgomery Estate - Living Room

I’m doing this for Leslie. I’m doing this for Leslie. I silently chanted to myself over and over. I wasn’t sure how much more I could stomach listening to Daisy ramble on and on about herself. She didn’t even pretend that she was interested in our lives, but that was just fine with me. 


“Sophia and Callie, I’m so glad you two came to visit so we could reminisce on old times. I remember you two and Leslie would get into so much trouble!” Daisy laughed holding her hand to her chest. 

 

“All thanks to you,” Callie responded. I laughed to cover her sarcasm. 

 

You know the quote, absence makes the heart grow fonder. I’m pretty sure that fondness was reserved for unique cases because right now my heart was telling me to just beat her the hell up and get it over with, but my brain was telling me to stick to the plan and to avoid jail time. It was time for us to get to the point so we could get out of here. 

 

“You know, Daisy, Callie and I thought about it. We would have felt really horrible about going back home and not be able to partake in your big day. So if it’s okay with you we’d like to come to the ceremony and just watch from the back. We wouldn't be in the way. We would just sit and watch from the audience. It’s not like we would have to be in the front like we're bridesmaids,” I said hoping she caught the subliminal message. 

 

Evidently she did. Her eyes lit up like a Christmas tree. “O. M. Geeee!” She squealed! “I have the most perfect idea!”

 

“What idea is that?” Callie asked nervously. 

 

“So you know how you met my bridesmaids the other night at your sister’s wedding?”

 

We nodded. “Yes,” I responded. 

 

“Well, Simone and Monica started acting weird. First, they were singing “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough,” at dinner and you know how much my mother hates that song. So the next morning, I guess they were trying to make amends for the mishap and they brought in some beautiful yellow flowers. My mom had the maids and butler throw the arrangements out. Later on that day Monica had the butler bring in a tray with glasses of water for everyone and she wanted to propose a toast. 

 

My mother lost it then and there.” Daisy explained with wide eyes. 

 

We feigned shock and gasped at the news. “Oh no. Why was your mother upset?” Callie questioned our host. 

 

“I think it had to do with all that superstitious stuff she believes in. She was going off, hollering about begging for food from the devil, being with a habitual cheater and dying. To be honest, I never kept up with that mess. I would never let something as silly as that control my fate. If I want something to happen or not happen, then I do whatever I can to ensure my happiness.”

 

We slyly fist bumped each other as we stared at our nemesis in fake disbelief. “Oh no, I hope Jacqueline is okay now.” I said. 

 

Daisy waved her hand at me. “After my mama kicked them out of the house, she started burning sage everywhere. It was a hot mess. I’ve been trying to impress Isaac’s sister, Island, but she looked horrified. It’s bad enough that she already doesn’t like me, but now I have to make up for any ground I lost with her,” she shared with us. 

 

“Hopefully Island keeps in mind that you aren’t your mother.” It took everything in me not to choke on that lie. 

 

Daisy smiled at us. “You know after all these years and what went down between us our senior year, I never thought we’d be talking again. I’m so glad the both of you are here to make up for all the things that you did. I guess this is the sign I’ve been waiting for.”

 

Callie was ready to pop off, I felt her sliding toward the edge of the couch to ready to chin check Daisy. I held her hand to apprehend her. “You know Daisy, we’re all adults now and it’s best to let the past stay where it is. Today is a new day. So what was this sign that you got?” I asked curiously. 

 

“Brace yourselves. I want you to be my bridesmaids!”

 

“Are you serious? I mean, it’d be a dream come true to be in your wedding! Don’t play with me.” I exclaimed. 

 

“Sophia, I am dead serious, who else would be better to stand behind me on my big day than the two girls who used to follow behind me when we were growing up?”

From my peripheral, I noticed Callie was moving her neck from side to side and rolling it around as if she was loosening up her muscles to prepare for a beat down. It was definitely time to wrap this up. 

“Daisy it would be an honor to be your bridesmaids,” I beamed. 

Daisy looked over at Callie, “What about you, Callie? How do you feel about being my bridesmaid? You’ve been quiet for a while,” her eyes held a challenge. 

With the most beautiful smile and bright eyes, she responded, “Daisy, making your day unforgettable will be my number one priority if I’m your bridesmaid. Nothing would make me happier than to watch you walk into your destiny.” The entire time she spoke, she was still holding my hand, squeezing the life out of it and had the most pleasant sounding voice with her picture perfect looks. 

I told you she was a bomb actress, didn’t I?

“Well now that that’s settled I need to tell my mother the good news!” She jumped from her seat clapping happily. 

“Sounds good,” Callie spoke up. “We’re going to head out and update Leslie! This is so amazing. We were only here to ask to attend your wedding and now we get to be a part of it. I’m so glad we came back and see you again!” 

Daisy pulled us into a hug and walked us to the door. 

As we headed for the car with enough distance for Daisy not to hear us, Callie made her intentions clear. “I’m giving myself 3 days before I choke this girl out. She got one more time to say something slick, Sophie. I’m not playing.”

We got into the car. “I know,” I huffed. “I gave myself 2 days, if it makes you feel any better.”

“We better come out on top otherwise I will use every last one of my skills to knock her out.” She shook her head and stared out the window.

I couldn’t talk her out of something I was feeling myself. Instead I blasted “Mascara” by Jazmine Sullivan through the speakers.

*******************

30 Minutes Later - Kennedy High School - Gymnasium - Cheerleading Practice

 

We stood outside of the doors of the closed gymnasium. We heard constant whistle blowing and Leslie yelling at the squad. Callie and I looked at each other because Leslie didn’t sound like her normal self.

“Is this what she’s normally like?” Callie asked me. 

I shook my head, “No, most times she’s her normal sweet self. I hope this change has nothing to do with Daisy and Isaac. Ever since we found out what happened, she’s been avoiding my calls or keeps it really short.”

 

“Same here,” Callie second. 

 

“She can’t avoid us now. We gave her every opportunity to explain what’s going on, so now we’re going to sit her down and make her tell us how those two got together so quickly.”

Callie opens the door, “What in the world?” 

I knew exactly what she was referring to. Though Leslie always looked stylish, she always stuck to bright colors, at this moment she was wearing a black blazer with black tank top layered underneath it and black pants and heels. There was absolutely no pop of color in her ensemble. The rest of her appearance that tipped us off that something wasn’t right. She was wearing her gray eye contacts, black lipstick and her burgundy colored hair was pulled into a bun at the crown of her head showing off her neck tattoo and multiple ear piercings. She normally wore her hair down and makeup to cover her tattoo, but today it was clear that she didn’t care. 

“Uh oh. This is bad, real bad.” I sighed. 

“Brandi, if you don’t aren’t in the correct position to spot Andrea then she will fall and break her neck! You don’t want that burden on your head do you?” Leslie questioned in a cutthroat tone. 

 

The student shouted out a firm “No, ma’am,”

 

“Then I suggest you stand in the right place,” she paused and blew the whistle. “Again!” 

 

The cheerleaders practiced the stunt again with no mistakes and exactly how their coach taught them to do it. “That was sloppy! Do it again.”

 

We headed over to Leslie, she saw us and immediately her demeanor changed. “Take a 20 minute break. If one of you is late everybody is running laps. Dismissed.”

“Hey sis,” Callie greeted wearily. “Are you doing okay.”

Leslie flashed her bright smile and bubbly tone. “Hey y’all! I’m great. Why? Is there something wrong?” 

“Umm, yeah. I was expecting to come to a high school cheer practice not boot camp led by a drill sergeant in stilettos,” Callie said. 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. I’m always strict on the team.”

 

“Strict, but never callous.” I responded. “Leslie, we need to tell you something very important, but you need to let us know what happened between you and Isaac first. We’re not taking no for an answer and if you don’t want us to embarrass you in front of your squad by being super petty, you’d better start talking.” 

 

We had a stare down, but I won. Leslie wasn’t a pushover, but she also wasn’t confrontational. “Fine,” she huffed. We all went over to the bleachers to take a seat. 

 

“One night, Izzy — I mean, Isaac and I were having a movie night. And it was about how this woman who thought she was dying decided to clear out her savings account and live out every dream in her goals book. She was suddenly admired by all that she came into contact with, she had such a bubbly personality and never flashed her money in their face. 

 

There was this one rich guy who didn’t know her and he didn’t like her because he thought it was all just a front. He worked hard to find out her secret and who she was. The rich man was so used to buying people just to be liked and feel important. He couldn’t understand how this woman could naturally make the same people, who were in his crowd, gravitate towards her and she not once brought up the subject of money or business. 

 

So I said to Isaac that it was sad that some rich people think everybody can be bought and be truly happy within. 

 

Out of nowhere he snapped on me. He told me how people spend and make their money has nothing to do with me and I would do the same thing too if I had the opportunity. 

I asked where this was coming from, he just stayed silent and said I wouldn’t get it because it was a rich people problem. I told him if he felt that way, then we shouldn’t be together. He left out my house without a second glance. I was so distraught and I didn’t want to tell you two or Bianca because you three have the tendency to overreact.”

“Only when we have a good reason to,” Callie interrupted. 

Leslie looked at her with disbelief. “Anyway, since I had no one else to talk to,”

I cut in this time. “You told Daisy.”

She silently nodded. “At the time I wasn’t thinking straight, I just needed to vent. After I told Daisy what happened, a whole week went by. Isaac and I still hadn’t talked. I was miserable. I missed my baby. Since we’ve been together we haven’t gone a whole day without at least a quick good morning or good night text. So I broke down and went to go see him, but first I had to make an appearance at Daisy’s birthday party. 

I saw his parents and his sister there, which was really odd to me because with Island being my best friend, I knew she didn’t like Daisy. Before I could ask Island why she was there, I heard people gasping and cheering. I looked in the direction of where everyone’s attention was and I saw Isaac down on one knee in front of Daisy.”

“Oh no,” Callie and I said at the same time. 

Leslie nodded and dabbed at the corner of her eyes to stop the tears. 

“Yeah, apparently during the time we were apart, their parents were finalizing the arrangements for their pending engagement/marriage. I was so humiliated, I ran out of there before anybody saw me. Island tried to stop me, but what was there to talk about or say? Leslie won again. How could I compete with that?

Oh, and to add icing to the cake, I just found out she’s two months pregnant.

One day I was grocery shopping and I saw Isaac, he was alone. I tried going the other way, but he stopped me. He tried explaining how he tried to find ways out of the arrangement, but couldn’t and then I asked about the baby. He said he didn’t remember sleeping with her. 

Can you believe that? He doesn’t remember. Talk about dodging a bullet. I ended up deleting my social media page rather than updating my relationship back to single because I was with a man who was betrothed to another woman that was supposed to be my friend. So Daisy asked me to be in their wedding, she knew me turning down the invite would’ve been ammunition to call me jealous, so I told her I would do it.”

We all sat in silence for a few minutes letting the whole story sink in. Callie spoke up, “Rule number one: no matter how bad it is, tell your sisters first, they’ll always have your back. Rule number two: never tell a gold digger about your relationship problems, all they need is a tiny crack to get in and mess up everything you built.”

Leslie nodded, “You're absolutely right, I was just dealing with my pride being hurt and Isaac never gets angry with me and for him to just be so mean to me made me feel so confused.”

“We get it. Relationships are tough.” I told her. “Just don’t isolate yourself, we are here to help you. We’re on your side.”

“Speaking of helping you,” Callie perked up. “Guess who the replacement bridesmaids are?”

“No way,” Leslie shook her head in amazement. “How did you two manage that?”


“It’s a long story, we’ll fill you in later, but in the meantime as bridesmaids we’re going to make sure Miss Montgomery doesn’t get a not so happy ending.” I smirked. 


“No. Absolutely not. Whatever you two had planned, cancel it. We will not be the cause of a broken family. There’s a baby involved, now. I grew up without my biological parents. That is something I wouldn’t wish on anyone. So if Daisy and Isaac have a chance at making things work with their unborn, then I don’t want any part of making their relationship fail.” Leslie declare with finality. 


We couldn’t argue with her on that point so we gave in. “Fine, but we can still be bridesmaids only for you so you don’t have to be alone,” I conceded. 


Leslie smiles, “That’s fair and very adult of you.”


“I don’t know about the adult part,” Callie proclaimed, “But you two have a fair warning warning that Daisy has only one time to step out of line and it’s a wrap.”


Leslie laughed again. “That’s fair.”


“Now, that that’s settled, take it easy on your team.” I suggested. 


“No can do. We have a competition coming up in a few weeks. They’re used to this side of me.”


“The black lipstick, piercings, tattoo and contacts? Normally you look like Little Miss Sunshine,” I inquired. 


“Well today was the exception. I was feeling some type of way about everything, so I decided to express myself through my wardrobe.”


“Mission accomplished,” Callie responded. 


“Where are the twins?” Leslie asked me.


“At mom and dad’s house, doing their online classes. Since they’re homeschooled, their teacher is doing online sessions with them. I love that they can travel with me and not miss a day of school.”


“I’m glad that’s working out for you. By the way, there is a bridesmaids photo shoot in four days. Please be on time. We’re supposed to be getting our hair and makeup done. Daisy’s going all out for this wedding, she’s trying to get a spread in the Laurel Springs Wedding Magazine.”


Our phones began to vibrate and chime at the same time signifying that we had received a text. “It looks like Daisy just sent the entire wedding party a mass text to do a meet and greet at some stuffy French restaurant tomorrow night,” Callie summarized. 


Leslie noticed our frowning faces, “Remember the part you said you would do this for me?”


“Fine, we’ll be there and on our best behaviors,” I grumbled. “But I’m about to make a friendly suggestion there’s no way I’m about to spend my Friday night eating overpriced food and bored out of my mind,” I began typing my text to the group and I read it aloud. “Hey, Daisy, can’t wait to meet everyone, however Callie and I haven’t been able to go out since we’ve been back home, in Laurel. I was wondering how everyone feels about meeting at the Velvet Bull Saloon on Astor Avenue. We all would be comfortable and get a chance to have some real fun. What do you all think?”


I pressed the send button and watched as the bridesmaids and groomsmen and even the groom responded that they liked my idea and finally Daisy texted that it would be fine. We could all read the tone of her text that she was irritated.


“You’re up to something, I can feel it.” Callie stated. 


I only smiled neither confirming nor denying her observations.


“Whatever, just keep me out of it. The less I know, the better. Now, I have to get back to practice, ”Leslie informed us. 


“You know, I can step in and show the squad how it’s really done,” Callie stated, as she stretched her arms and legs. 


“Oh really?” Leslie asked with intrigue. 


“Yes. Are you doubting my skills?”


Leslie grinned and shrugged her shoulders, “Absolutely not. I’m just saying, I haven’t seen you be active in a long time.” 


“That sounds like a challenge to me,” Callie laughed. She started taking off her earrings and handed them to me. “Hold this,” she said. She then started taking off her brown wedges. “Not active in a long time, my butt,” she grumbled. 


As Callie was preparing for whatever it was she was about to do, the cheerleading squad started making their way back into the gym. “Clear the floor, people!” Callie shouted, “Your coach is about to put her money where her mouth is.”


She walked over to the students that were manning the Bluetooth speaker. While they were getting the music situated the doors opened and Bianca walked in and smiled brightly, headed towards us, she was wearing her blue jean overalls covered in paint splatters and a yellow tank top underneath it. “A little birdie told me two of Kennedy High’s alumni were here. I had to see if it was true. What are you doing here and why is Callie barefoot?”


“Hey, Sis! We only stopped by to let Leslie know we’re in Daisy’s wedding and then of course Leslie and Callie had to challenge each other to see if Callie still had her cheerleading skills.” 


“Oh this should be good, she hasn’t cheered since she graduated from college. And good job on accomplishing the first mission,” Bianca high-fived me. 


“Hold up,” Leslie exclaimed, “You’re in on this too, BeBe?”


“Yes and no. I am offering advice. Let’s face it. You three would be lost without me,” she grinned. 


Leslie rolled her eyes, “Whatever.”


The music suddenly started, the intro to “Cool Off” by Missy Elliot. 


“Please, not this song,” I rolled my eyes. “She and the twins learned the entire routine when it first came out.” I whined, shaking my head.


The cheerleaders were cheering Callie on as she did the dance that went viral over the summer and added some of her own flips and moves. Once the song started coming to an end she danced to the corner of the gym and held her arms up signifying that she was going to do something big, she lowered them and started running for a good momentum and then began doing a bunch of gymnastic flips diagonally across the large gym floor. 


Callie was blowing everybody away. We all rose to our feet clapping and shouting for her. Her flips started becoming uncontrolled and instead of her continuing to go in a diagonal path, she started going straight. If she did a few more flips she was going to hit a wall. Everyone was trying to tell her to stop, but between the music and the yelling it was hard to distinguish the warnings. 


She was still on her way to hitting the wall when the football team came through the doors. Either the coach had quick instincts or reflexes because he ran to the area where Callie would have hit the wall and he caught her mid-flip. The students went crazy after witnessing the close call. Some had even caught the action on their phones and were playing it back. It was pretty impressive if I said so myself. 


The coach, who was holding on to Callie, was wearing a vintage black and white graphic tee, which probably had an old rock band logo on it, with black jeans and biker boots. He placed Callie back on her feet and she looked up at him. Knowing exactly who it was, I quietly sat back down in my spot.


“Gunnar!” Callie shouted, jumping back into his arms for a hug. 


When Gunnar and I officially started dating, he and Callie became cool with each other. They laughed at the same weird jokes and watched the sci-fi shows. I didn’t get it. Once, I joked that he chose the wrong sister, instead of him getting mad he brushed off my comment by kissing me deeply and told me he chose right. That was the moment I knew I moved from being in like to being in love. 


He wasn’t cocky or over exerting his masculinity to make me cower from my statement. Gunnar understood me in ways that I didn’t always have to explain. His kindness towards me and others, his ability to make me smile without even trying and his protectiveness of me was never under the disguise of possessiveness. He genuinely was a kind hearted person. 

 

**FLASHBACK** 


“Who else is going to sing to me after I’ve had a hard day? What other woman can make me watch a bunch of musicals all day? And who else would I ever consider when I’m making my future plans besides you? Callie is like a sister to me. You are much more than that. You’re the one I want to marry, have my children with and grow old with. I know exactly who I chose.” 


I stared at him dumbfounded, “I love you.” I instantly slapped my hand over my mouth and rose from the couch. He stopped me, pulling me into his lap. I couldn’t move my hand from my mouth, I was trying to prevent myself from saying anything else unpredictable. 


He smiled sweetly at me, as I sat sideways on his lap and my head was resting on his shoulder. “You love me?”


I could only nod, my hand still blocked my mouth. 


He laughed, “Could you at least look at me and nod?”


I sat up and removed my hand. I was now staring at my hands, wondering why I couldn’t keep my mouth shut.


“Sophia,” he gently called my name. 


Looking into his eyes, I exhaled and repeated the words again. “I love you, Gunnar. No matter how different or far apart we are, you always manage to still make me feel like taking every risk to be with you. What I feel for you is more than a school girl crush. You stay up and listen to me blab about my classes and when I have late nights at the studio, writing, you never get angry or jealous. You let me be me. I just hope I do the same for you.”


“Sophia Noble, I love you too. There’s no other woman for me. I knew you were the one, that day in the cafeteria. You walked with your head held high and a big ass pudding stain on your shirt.”


We laughed so hard at that memory. 


“Shut up,” I hit him in the chest. 


“Seriously. Not many girls would have been able to take the words of a mean girl, in front of a bunch of jocks and still manage to cut her back with your words. You delivered it without tears or whining. Just courage. I knew at that moment. You were supposed to be my girl.”


“I used to get so angry that nothing came of us after the dance,” I pondered. “But I think it worked out better this way. It was definitely flattering to know that a guy I had the hots for looked me up even though I had moved across the country.”


“Yeah?” He asked. 


I nodded,” Because we’re both adults,” I kissed one side of his neck. “Who can now,” I then kissed his jawline. “Do adult,” I gently bit his earlobe, hearing him moan. “Things,” I finally moved to his lips, kissing him deeply. 


“Now we’re talking!” He playfully threw me on the couch and got on top of me. I couldn’t help the giggles that fell out because he started tickling me. 


“Gunnar, quit playing! I tell you I love you and you start tickling me? How romantic,” I mused. 


He stopped to stare at me. “I love you, Sophia Christina Noble. Nobody will compare to you, ever. No matter how you try to push me away or second guess our relationship, I will always choose you, like you chose me.”


I smiled up at him. “Kisses,” I said. 


He graciously granted my request. 


**END OF FLASHBACK**


Taking a deep breath in and then releasing it, I reminded myself why I was overstaying my time here in Laurel Springs and it didn’t include Kennedy High’s football coach. I was here specifically for Leslie. Gunnar wasn’t on my agenda and it was going to stay that way. It had to.


















Chapter End Notes:

So now Sophia and Callie know the full story. And Leslie wants no parts of their shenanigans. Will that stop the sisters from cutting up? Absolutely not! Lol!

I hope you've enjoyed this chapter. Let me know what you thought about it. Was it good or bad? Too much detail. Not enough detail... As always thank you for reading and I hope you stay safe, healthy and happy! 🥰







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.