Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


ONE

Ding-dong

Ding-dong

Ding-dong

Ian Murphy groaned as he heard the doorbell ring for the one-millionth time. He couldn't deal with this shit right it would be time for his night shift to start and he had to go in a few hours. He didn't have time to entertain his weird introverted neighbor.

He knew why she was ringing on his doorbell hell the only time she talked to anyone on their block was for one reason and one reason only. Ian was usually patient with her but lately that patience was running thin.

Ian opened his front door to see Cheyenne Lewis jump back a little as if she didn't expect him to answer his own front door. Ian rolled his eyes it was a shame that Cheyenne was a beautiful woman with her honey brown skin and chocolate eyes yet all that beauty was wasted because she was "different"

"What can I do for you Cheyenne?" Ian asked even though he already knew the answer

"Mr. Murphy...um....I...well.....have you....seen Crookshanks?"

Ian replied, "You know for somebody who has a cat that roams the neighborhood one would think you'd give him a normal cat name"

"Sorry..... he's named after a cat in Harry Potter...Hermione Granger's cat.......have you seen him?"

"If you mean rummaging through my trash from time to time than yeah I've seen him" Ian replied "don't you feed him enough Fancy Feast or whatever greedy thing he is"

"....he...he's never left for this long before....getting worried....I mean I'm getting worried" Cheyenne admitted softly

"How old is that cat anyway?"

"....ten....he's ten"

"Kind of old for a cat"

"Not really...average lifespan is fifteen to seventeen years---"

"Look I'd love to talk feline facts but I've got work in a couple of hours"

"Oh" Cheyenne said embarrassed as she clasped both of her hands together for warmth despite having gloves on "....well....if you see him---"

"I'll let you know" Ian replied "get yourself home before you catch your death out here temperature's going to be dropping"

Cheyenne nodded and Ian watched her leave his porch as he shook his head. He knew that she loved that mangy orange furball she called a cat but this was getting ridiculous.

Ian was starting to think that cat was literally the only family that Cheyenne had.

 

Ian yawned out loud again as he swayed back and forth it was only nine in the evening and he was scheduled to be at the station for the night. Hopefully Cheyenne will find her bizarrely named cat soon.

There was something about Cheyenne that pulled him towards her but every time she talked to him it was about that darn cat so that's all he knew about her. Ian didn't hate Crookshanks he just wished the furball would keep out of his trash.

Ian was also under the impression that the cat was a mischevious little thing and probably had a couple of kittens running around with his color fur because there was no way he was fixed if he was always out and about. A big lovable tom cat he was.

"Tired Murphy?" one of his co workers and fellow fireman Kirk Ivan joked

"Damn straight I am" Ian replied "I'm going to pick up a roast beef sandwich in the morning and go straight to bed"

"What if that pretty little lass Cheyenne comes knocking at your door?" Duncan Edwards another co worker teased

"To ask about that cat again?" Ian replied annoyed "I don't know guys I might not answer this time. I don't mean her or that cat harm but I'm just running out of patience with both of them"

"Wonder if she's got any family" Kirk said "she lives on that small flat on the corner of Delrose by herself right?"

"No" Duncan said in disbelief "a lass as gorgeous as her with no family or a man?"

The mention of Cheyenne's relationship status bothered Ian and he wasn't sure why.

If she was in a relationship hopefully the man she was with was treating her right because she was always so damn jumpy. He just didn't want her being with an asshole because despite her being weird she was sweet and a bit naïve.

A loud beep came through from Kirk's pager and he answered immediately. Both Ian and Duncan watched and listened as Kirk responded with a bunch of yes, yups, and nods and finally a "Got it"

"Alright guys let's move!"

 

It definitely was not a pretty sight to see but Ian and his crew were prepared. Needless to say Ian did feel his heart drop at the sight before him. It was Cheyenne's house.

Since her house was a flat it did not take long for her house to be set a blaze in flames. Ian was definitely curious to know what started the fire but there would be time to figure that out later right now there was a whole show being made out on his neighbor's yard.

Cheyenne was known as a pariah in the neighborhood so all of the neighbors were naturally curious to see what was going on and boy was she putting up a fight.

Naturally the idea of being taken out of your house that's on fire would be a godsend but for Cheyenne it looked like she was being tortured.

She kicked and screamed like a child at the doctor's office getting a shot.  Clearly she was upset about something other than her house being on fire.

"NO!" she cried in a blood-curdling scream "NO!"

It was the loudest that Ian had ever heard Cheyenne so he knew clearly something was wrong.

As soon as the fire fighters were able to get Cheyenne safely out on to her lawn and away from the fire she got up and ran towards the house again. Ian quickly got a hold of her and she wasn't giving up and was fighting him as well.

Ian never man handled a woman before and he wasn't going to start now but he wasn't about to let Cheyenne run to her death since she was crazy enough to run back to her house.

Cheyenne cried as she sank to the ground and Ian still kept her wrapped in his arms. Between the thickness of his uniform and her sweater Ian could feel Cheyenne trembling and her heart racing.

Everyone around them worked on putting out the fire or making nasty and hurtful comments on Cheyenne and how this was confirming their suspicions that she was crazy.

"No!" Cheyenne cried, "Crookshanks is in there!"

"Cheyenne you can't go back in there" Ian tried reasoning with her as she still fought him. Tears streamed down her cheeks as her whole body shook.

"Crookshanks!"

Ian didn't know how long he kneeled down on the lawn with Cheyenne but he knew that he had to get her out of the cold night air before she got sick since she wasn't wearing a coat. Once the fire was put out a good portion of her home was completely demolished.

There was nothing they could do for Crookshanks and it looked like the beloved feline was gone leaving Cheyenne heart broken.

 

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.