Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Since they bonded Tara, just couldn't manage to keep her mind under control. Several times at work even the tiniest thing could make her think about him. She didn't even have to try; it was becoming as common as breathing and it was stressing her out. Tonight, she was taking a road not too far from Merlotte's. Not many people traveled this road and so it seemed to be a perfectly tranquil place to relieve stress and drive the lustful thoughts that were boiling her blood to the back of her mind. Tonight she wore a blue tank, trimmed in lace at the neck and a jean skirt that stopped just above her knees. It was something she wouldn't normally wear but she always felt like he was watching her nowadays, why not give him something to look at?

She kept the note he wrote in her pocket as a reminder that it had really happened. She still wasn't sold on the idea of killing Bill or just casually having sex with Eric whenever he wanted. In her experience, vampires tended to always have ulterior motives when dealing with humans. But every time she was with Eric, he told her nothing but the truth…hell, he hadn't even tried to glamour her. She admitted that he was trustworthy and that maybe she should just stop over thinking the everything. She began thinking about Sookie and what would happen to her if, she ever found who was responsible for Bill's death. What would she say? What would she do? Would she read her mind and automatically know who did it?

How convenient was it for him to be driving on the exact road Tara was walking on only 2 nights into their absence of each other. All the lust Eric had been pouring through their bond soon brought him to her. He couldn't seem to stay away. Three days was starting to seem like a year, but he was just trying to give both of them time to sort out their thoughts, even though he knew she wouldn't want to leave him hanging. They were helping each other in a way that was twisted and lovely. And to him, she had become this beautiful confusion. She held so much back when she spoke to him, fighting him with words every step of the way but when it came to sex, she would give herself completely, revealing someone more beautiful and powerful than he could imagine. Whether she knew it or not, she had him in strange territory. She could ask for anything and as strong willed and unyielding as he was, he would find a way to fulfill her desires.

Comfortable and smug, he drove slowly behind her, the quiet engine not even capturing her attention. He was content with following her from a distance, watching his latest paramour walk the abandoned and quiet road. She turned around and saw the figure of a car coming her way. He turned on his brights and drove straight towards her stopping just at her feet. Shielding her eyes from the extreme illumination she finally placed her hands back to her side as he rolled down the window

"Shit." she breathed when she could finally make out who the driver was.

"Get in." he invited.

"What the hell are you doing out here...no wait, let me guess..the blood."

"Do you want the ride or not?" he clacked impatiently

She didn't argue anymore, she just took in the last breathes of the fresh air that she'd probably get the rest of the night and climbed in the car. She tried not to look at him just stared straight ahead.

"I thought you said three days." she said finally facing him as he drove off.

"Seat belt."

"Huh?"

"Tara, put on your seat belt. We wouldn't want you to get injured, would we?" he said staring at down at her hands clasped together tightly atop her lap."

"Nervous?" he did a U-turn and began heading for Fangtasia

"What have I got to be to nervous about? She looked out the window trying to regain her composure.

"Nothing, if you trust me. Everything, if you don't." he reached across her seat to untangle her fingers.

"Now, relax. I just decided to push up our little meeting."

"I trust you." she said trying to blink away the nerves which she wasn't hiding very well. " I trust you.." she said again with a little more conviction. "I just don't trust myself and this plan."

"You are stronger than you think."

"How would you know? You don't anything about me?" she hissed

"I know more about you than you think, Tara." he shot her a glance which made her shrink back in her seat.

"Is that only because of the blood? Can you do some CSI type shit with my blood, huh?" She pulled herself up, sitting tall to stare at him.

"I have background checks done on those I intend to do business with."

"Really?"

"Of course. I can't someone half-assing or botching up anything important. But I'll admit, I took the easy route with you by asking your cousin, Lafayette everything I wanted to know."

"You could've just asked me."

"Yes, and I suppose you would've have just coughed up an full autobiography that first time I met you." he retorted

"No." she conceded.

"Compared to Bill, I'm a pathetic excuse for a detective. I've got to hand it to him, he's gone all out to acquire Sookie's history."

"That's what couples do. They learn about each others past."

"Really? Well, Bill's got quite a file on Ms. Stackhouse, one I don't think he acquired just from talking to her."

"I'm not believin' that. He's an ass but he wouldn't do that. That's something I would expect from you."

"All vampires are capable of what's he's done. Only those as weak as him, would be so stupid as to do it without a second thought."

"Stop the bullshit."

Eric quirked an eyebrow "So, you knew that Sookie drank Bill's blood the night they met?"

"She was gonna die, he did it to save her." She defended.

"I just don't understand you humans with your optimism." He said condescendingly. "Bill arranged for her to get injured by those inbred V-heads so that he could give her his blood. Sookie doesn't even know. He can ultimately keep track of her as well as induce feeling of lust for him, which you know, all to well. If it weren't for that night, she'd still be the friend you had before...before she met him."

This information, he thought would get Tara just mad enough to do something crazy. He wanted to eradicate any hanging fears she might have by taking away any guilt she might harbor when they finally disposed of Bill.

"I fuckin' knew it, he's just using her!" she exclaimed.

"I'm sorry you had to find out like this but I thought you should know." He tried to look remorseful.

"How'd you find all this out?" she said fanning herself as she stared into the night, her cheeks growing warmer with every word. She was seriously scared for Sookie and ready to make those visions she had of Bill come to fruition.

They had finally reached the bustling night club when all the facts had been laid out. She sat steaming in her seat as he continued to talk.

"I'm a sheriff." He stated proudly. "I have to know these things. Whether or not I share them with others is up to me." He got out, swiping his hair back as he walked to the passenger door. He opened it and motioned to the other side. "I need you to promise me that you won't do anything hasty."

She got out of the car, brushing past him and turned back to look at him."I'm not sure I can promise you anything right now."

He bent his head to her ear; lips just close enough for her to feel his breath. "Well then, promise me that whatever you do, you'll do wisely, for both our sakes."

She started walking towards the front door not knowing where her feet would carry her. She stopped when she realized she didn't have any clue where she was going. Eric sped to her side placing a possessive hand at her lower back, guiding her towards the back of the club.

They made their way through the slim corridor past a few doors and up to his office. She could see people dancing and drinking in the main part of the club. She stooped to stare at them, remembering how Sookie had described the place. It was as dark and dangerous looking as she'd thought. He gently moved past her to open the door. Letting her in, he motioned for her to take a seat in one of the two chairs in his in front of his desk. She noted the many pictures hanging from the wall, the tiny peephole of a concrete window and all the clutter on his desk.

"Have a seat." she sat.

" Let's get this over with so, you can take me home."

"Why are we in such a rush. Besides business, you've come here to fulfill your duties as my lover."

"When did we-" she pointed to herself " I mean..when did I become your lover."

"Do I really need to explain?" he smirked leaning back in his swivel chair. "You know when."

Baffled by her new title, she got ready to add another snarky rebuttal, then Pam entered.

"Eric, you called for a puppy?" she asked sardonically before spotting Tara. Smiling coyly she asked, "Well, what do we have here?" she asked staring between her master and Tara.

"Pam, this is Tara, friend of Sookie Stackhouse. Tara, meet Pam, my progeny."

"Hi" Tara smiled as the statuesque vampire drew closer.

"Send in the help, Pam." he stated before Pam could reach Tara's chair.

"Fine." she stopped in her tracks turning quickly to fetch whatever Eric had sent for.

"Don't mind her."

"I won't. But if she looks at me like that then I'm gonna say something.." Tara looked back a few times just to make sure Pam was really gone.

Just as they fell into a comfortable silence, Pam returned with a man at her side. He was tall and rugged, his short black hair settled neatly about his face. He wore gray oxford shirt, dark jeans and construction boots which could only mean he was a working man.

"Go ahead, pup." Pam motioned for the man to walk in ahead of her and as she began to enter behind him. Eric, gave her a look that signaled her services were no longer needed. She turned on her heel without protest slamming the door behind her.

"Now we can begin." Eric lowered his voice and leaned forward placing his hands atop his desk, fingertips touching. "Tara, this is Alcide Devereaux, he will be your bodyguard until we handle our situation."

"Hi there." the man declared gruffly, extending a hand to Tara who shook it politely. She gazed into his eyes holding the hand shake a little too long for Eric's liking and began blushing. Eric coughed audibly pulling the two from their musing.

"He will also be living with you so that if the problem decides to find a way to you, you'll be protected when I can't be there."

"What? He can't live at my...I mean Sookie's house. What do I look like lettin' a stranger..no offense," she uttered quickly placing a hand on the rugged man's shoulder.

"None taken." he stated

" a stranger stay in a house that don't belong to me?"

"You're smart. Make something up." Eric shrugged unfazed by her reasoning. "He's staying with you and that's the end of that."

Several times during the meeting Tara's hands would find themselves touching Alcide, her smile widening with the few word that he spoke. Eric, would always make a sudden movement or produce a sound that would initially recapture Tara's attention and place her back in the proper mindset; only to be lost again when Alcide's input was needed.

Taking notice of Eric's strange behavior in relation to Tara, Alcide began sitting quietly in his chair, not seeking to add anything to the argument. He was a man with a purpose, one that once it had been fulfilled, would set him and his family free.

With the meeting finally over, Alcide got up shaking Tara's hand once again before he turned to leave. She wondered if Eric could feel that she was being all flirty with the hired help. She didn't intentionally do it, he was just extremely handsome and smelled good. Now why couldn't she have met him earlier, when she needed some normalcy?

"Tara." Eric began.

"Yes." she guessed he could from the tone in his voice.

"Come here."

She didn't hesitate to move. Somewhere in her mind she thought of those informational programs she and Sookie watched about wild animals and the phrase show no fear came to mind. She continued to repeat the mantra in her head as she walked behind the desk.

"Closer." he pointed to a spot on the floor directly in front of him.

She stood on the target, placing her hands on her hips.

"What do you want now? I already know what's supposed to happen to Bill and you've got a strange man posted in Sookie's house, like you're quartering troops. So I think we're all finished." She tried to seem unmoved by his calmness. This was dangerous ground she was treading and she wondered what would happen if she made a wrong move.

He got up from his chair, causing her to flinch slightly at the sudden movement. He walked around her, as if, he was stalking his prey. Taking in her scent, trying to feel her emotions through the bond, he would make her understand her role in their partnership and the boundaries which shouldn't be crossed as long as she was his.

"Do you have any idea what you did just then?" he stopped directly behind her, his mouth nearly atop her head.

"I don't know what you're talkin' bout." she replied saucily, refusing to look back at him.

"I think you do." He stepped closer pressing himself completely against her.

"You mean with Alcide?" she faltered sighing when he slowly began lifting the hem of her tank.

"So, you do know. I think you were purposely trying to hurt my feelings, Tara."

"I was being friendly." A little too friendly she added in her mind.

She closed her eyes and was about to turn around when he stopped her by gently placing a hand around her throat, while his other arm gently roped around her front pulling her as close as she could be. Her hands with a mind of their own began to move slowly to rest on his.

"You don't know what it means to be a good friend." he stopped with the tank and decided the skirt needed to go first.

The hand around her waist moved quickly the waist of the skirt.

Knowing what would soon take place, she sighed,"Don't rip these." she warned "I don't wanna leave here with no clothes on."

"Fine. Take them off." He agreed, a smirk replaced his cold stare.

Half naked, bent over a desk in a little club in Shreveport, is not exactly where Tara wanted to be tonight but she couldn't say she was regretting it. All she had done was be very friendly to her new bodyguard. Clearly, Eric had to know that she wasn't his. Tara Thorton was no one's property. He was purposely being rough, trying to make her realize her mistake, but in her mind she hadn't made any. Fighting back the sounds she wanted to make she held them in defiantly, not giving him the satisfaction of hearing her moans. Even when he resorted to his vampire speed she held it in. Even when he pulled her braids she held it in.

"Why are you holding back from me?" he growled low against her neck

"Cause', I can." she broke free turning around to face him. She pushed his chest, forcing him onto his chair. "Just admit you were jealous and then I won't hold back."

"You're mine."

"No. I'm not yours." she sat on facing him on his lap, positioning herself over him without letting him enter her. "I don't belong to anyone, Eric. The sooner you learn that, the easier it will be for you let me go when this is finally over."

"There are many things you don't understand,Tara. Vampire law, is one of them. So, as far as we're concerned you are mine." He grabbed her hips about to force her down.

"This ain't about no laws. This right here," she motioned between them. "what happened tonight is because your ass is jealous and possessive. Stop being a little bitch and admit you can't control me because, I don't belong to you. I give myself to you when I choose to."

"Mi-"

"Nope, don't say that word. Blink once if you understood, since I know you won't say it."

Taken with her bluntness he finally complied blinking once, he forced her down upon his length and she finally released a moan.

The next day Tara called in sick. A lot was weighing on her mind and she didn't even know what she was doing anymore. She tried to sleep it off, but every time she closed her eyes she saw Sookie, half-dead lying on the cold earth and that filthy conniving bastard, giving her his blood to keep tabs on her. Bill would always know where she was, how she was feeling. It made Tara nauseous and that fact that Sookie didn't even know made it worse.

Just as Tara's mind settled on more peaceful thoughts the bedroom door opened and in walked Sookie, her side-swept ponytail bouncing with every stride. She looked down at Tara on the bed and felt her forehead.

"Tara, you feeling any better, hun?" she asked taking a seat on the bed.

"Yeah, Sook, now that you mention it, I do feel a bit better." she said lying. She adjusted herself so that she could sit up. Sookie took a nearby pillow and placed it under her back. "I'm not in dying you know, just sore."

"That must've been some party you went to last night for you to be all sore like this. Did you meet anyone there?"

"Um...yeah, you could say that." she cursed under her breath. Eric told her he'd covered for her. What he neglected to tell her is the lie he'd told Sookie.

"So what's he look like?" she pressed on.

Tara wanted to say, 6 foot something, blonde, and he bites. But she bit the inside of her cheek to keep herself from spilling the truth. "He's just a friend...it's nothing serious."

"Ah, okay." she said winking "You're gonna keep him a secret just in case it doesn't work out."

"Sook, can I ask you something?" she blurted, changing the vibe in the room.

"Sure." she leaned in closer.

"Why are you with Bill? I mean there's plenty of nice guys right here in Bon Temps, you could date. Hell, give Sam another shot; he's still sweet on you."

"Tara Thorton, I can't believe you." she said standing quickly as if something pinched her. "I've already explained this to you. He loves me and I love him."

"Maybe you just think you love him. Did you ever think about that?" she curled her fingers into fists to try to keep calm. Sookie didn't like where this conversation was going, especially since everyone else in town had been giving her the same speech since they started dating.

"Are you trying to say something Tara? Maybe you hit your head at this party. I'll go get you some aspirin." Sookie forced a straight face even though she felt like crying.

"Well, what if he's just making you think you love him, so you won't leave him." Tara got back down in the bed and threw the covers over her head trying hard not to blurt out what Eric had revealed to her.

Sookie didn't say anything back this time. Her face was already red and she was just about ready to break down. Of all the people in the world, Tara should be happy that she'd found someone special. She turned and left slamming the door behind her.

Before leaving to go back to work Sookie got an overnight bag ready with a few things. She packed some clothes, her toothbrush, a couple different pajamas and some other things. She didn't need someone with Tara's track record in relationships telling her about how to run hers. She found an old legal pad that Gran kept for making special lists and angrily scribbled out a note. She left the tear-stained note folded neatly on the kitchen counter.

A half hour after she left Tara went down to the kitchen and found the note.

Tara,

I really thought you would be on my side in all this.

Times like these, I just feel like I don't know you anymore. I'm going to stay with Bill for a while.

Maybe in a couple of days, we'll see things differently. But right now...I just don't think us being in the same house is good for us. You know the cell, call me.

I love you,

Sook

"Dammit." She crumpled the note in a tight fist and aimed it for the trash can. She missed. She must really be pissed. Tara's frustration, anger, uncertainty, and fear just burst through her. She sat on the floor near the oven and cried. She muttered incoherently as her mind flashed back through the moments of her life. The only times she could see that had been touched with a speck of happiness all came from when she was with Lafayette, Sookie, Jason, Gran and occasionally Sam.

She pulled herself up and decided a shower would ease her nerves and give her some time to think. She trudged up the creaking wooden stairs, tears still falling. She went into the bathroom turned the hot knob on the tiled wall, maybe she could purge herself with the heat. She sat on the toilet seat slumped over, the steam filling her lungs and clearing her mind. She slowly began peeling away the few layers of clothing she had on, the breeze from the cracked door chilled her skin. She just stood and stared at herself in the slowly fogging mirror, not really recognizing herself. Her eyes were puffy and red, and her body more sore than it'd been all day. It was sad to think that and a nice hot shower would be the one ray of sunshine in this whole day.






Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading.






Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.