Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Margie and Jethro prepare for the arrival of their twins.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended

 

 

 

 

 

Past, Present and Future another NCIS story

 

Chapter 14      Preparations

 

 

Before we left the hospital Dr. Stevenson sat and talked with us about her concerns.  She assured us that things were fine with Margie and the babies but didn’t want to risk any new ailments to develop.  We knew that with this high-risk pregnancy it was advisable to do a caesarean section and not risk a vaginal delivery and so we were already preparing ourselves for that eventuality and Dr. Stevenson confirmed that she would deliver the babies at 38 weeks.  The babies should have full lung development by that time and since Margie and the babies are doing well at this moment she didn’t see any need to change that time frame.  She wanted to keep the babies inside Margie for as long as possible. I couldn’t bear for anything to happen to Margie or the babies. 

 

We made it home and I got Margie settled on the sofa and turned to head for the kitchen.

 

“Jethro I can see the wheels turning in your head.  I am fine.  I feel fine. The babies are fine.  Come here a moment please.”

 

I turned and walked back to her.  She sat me down and took my hand and put it on her belly.  I felt the babies moving and heard Margie say,

 

“Okay little ones talk to your daddy and let him know that you are fine.  He’s worried and you two need to reassure him that you are okay and are anxious to meet him.”

 

The babies moved against my hand.  I put both my hands on Margie’s belly and felt movement from both sides.  I am so thankful that they are moving and letting me know that they are ‘still alive and kicking’. I bent down and kissed Margie’s belly.  I felt her hand on my head and I breathed a sigh of relief.  I love her so much and I would be devastated if anything happened to her.  I love these little ones and I can’t image not seeing them and watching them grow up.  I sat there for a while and then raised my head and kissed my beautiful wife.  She has given me so much and I could never repay her for all that she has given me.  When I say things like that to her she shushes me and say that I have given her so much too but I can’t think what that would be.  She tells me that I gave her me and that’s the best gift she ever received behind the love of God.

 

“See I told you that we are fine.  Miranda will deliver these little ones in a few weeks and we still have some things to do in the nursery and my darling when will you let me see the bassinettes?  You have already set up the cribs in the nursery but you’re keeping the bassinettes a secret, why?”

 

“Because they are the first things that the babies will use and they are already built and stained but there’s just one more piece that I want to add and that’s their names.  You and I have not decided on names for these two and I need to add the name plates to the cribs too.”

 

“Alright let’s do that before we call my parents.  We both agreed that they would have their own names, but the boy will have a middle initial of ‘J’ and the girl would have a middle initial of ‘M’.  So which name from the list do you choose Jethro?”

 

“Well I choose Richard for the first name and I’m still not sure for the middle name, what about you?”

 

“I like Richard for the first name and what about Joseph for the middle name?”

 

“That sounds good, Richard Joseph Gibbs, and what about our daughter?  I like the name Meredith as the middle name but torn between Nicole and Chloe for the first name.”

 

“Both of those names sound good but I think that I would prefer Nicole for the first name and Meredith is a lovely middle name.  So I guess that we’ve named the babies.  How long did it take us and how many name combinations did it take before we decided, hundreds?”

 

“That doesn’t matter now we have names for our babies. Let’s try them out on them.”

 

I pulled up her blouse again and put her hands on her belly and put my hands next to her hands so that we covered her entire belly and we both said,

 

“Hello Richard Joseph Gibbs and Nicole Meredith Gibbs.”

 

I would not have believed it if I had not seen it for myself but there was movement all over Margie’s belly, from left to right and from top to bottom.

 

“Well it appears that they like their names Margie.”

 

“Yes it does. Glad that we finally decided. Okay help me up I need to go to the bathroom.”

 

I helped her up and led her to the bathroom that we had installed across from the door that leads to the basement.  While she was in there I went to the kitchen and turned on her iPod and chose a song to play.  I don’t usually do this because that’s more Margie’s thing but the feeling just came over me and I wanted to hear a song that would express what I am feeling at this moment.

 

When Margie entered the kitchen I walked up behind her and put my arms around her.  With her pregnant belly this is the best way that I can get closest to her. I start dancing with her.

 

“What bought this on Jethro?  I’m usually pulling you onto the floor to dance. Don’t get me wrong I’m not complaining as a matter of fact I love it.  I love you.”

 

“I just wanted to dance with you and this song expresses all that I feel at this moment. I know that we’ve danced to it before and maybe in a way it is our theme song but it expresses so much and I feel so much right now and I didn’t want the moment to pass without letting you know.  Margie, my love for you is limitless and I can’t help falling more in love with you everyday. Let’s enjoy the moment.”

 

“Mmmmm,” she sighed and pressed herself into me.

 

‘Wise men say only fools rush in
But I can't help falling in love with you
Shall I stay?
Would it be a sin
If I can't help falling in love with you?

Like a river flows surely to the sea
Darling so it goes
Some things are meant to be
Take my hand, take my whole life too
For I can't help falling in love with you’

 

(Can't Help Falling In Love, Elvis Presley)

 

 

The song ended and we just stood there still holding each other.  The babies are still moving.  I guess that they like the song too.  I kissed Margie on her temple and led her back to the sofa.  

 

We called her parents and assured them that we and the babies are fine.  The said that they were coming over and bringing food with them.  While waiting for them Margie decided to make a list of things that she still needed for the babies.  She called Lydia and explained what had happened. Lydia fussed at her for not calling her and Margie reminded Lydia that Lydia wasn’t even in town yesterday and just returned home this morning.  Lydia said that it didn’t matter she still should have called.

 

I met Amanda and Thomas at the door. We placed the food on the kitchen counter and I gathered the plates and utensils, we all washed our hands and sat and ate at the dining room table.  We chatted while we ate and we told Amanda and Thomas about the delivery date.  They said that they will put it on their calendar and make certain that nothing interferes with that time and date.  They are excited about seeing their grandchildren. 

 

After lunch Thomas and I went down to the basement.  He helped me with the finishing touches on the bassinettes.  I put a cover over the nameplates because Margie didn’t want anyone else to know the names of the babies before the delivery.  The bassinettes were ready to be moved to the master bedroom where the babies will stay for their first few months. Margie plans to breastfeed so having the babies close will make all of the difference.  

 

On our way to the master bedroom to take the bassinettes we passed the living room and found that Lydia had arrived. Margie, Lydia and Amanda were sorting through baby clothes that Lydia had brought with her.  It seems that many of the agents at the FBI had also worked with Margie through the years, and wanted to show her that they were thinking about her and sent all these baby gifts.  There were clothes, shoes, blankets, coats and so much more.  Margie was so touched that she had to wipe away a tear.

 

I smiled as I passed by and continued on upstairs to the bedroom.  Thomas helped me to set up the bassinettes where Margie wanted them. She had taped the exact spots where she wanted them to go as if that was the final location.  She has had me move things so many times I have lost count and the final spot was probably the first spot where we had originally put them but I would not tell her that.  My Margie is something else and she’s all mine. 

 

--------------------------------------  

 

Delivery day is finally here.  I have my bags ready at the door.  Jethro is packing the car and I’m making my last stop in the bathroom.  After relieving myself and washing my hands I am ready.  Our babies will be born today.

 

The delivery went fine, no complications.  Everyone say hello to and give a welcome to:

 

Richard Joseph Gibbs, born 8:15 a.m., Tuesday, August 21st, 6 lbs, 5 oz, 19 inches long

Nicole Meredith Gibbs, born 8:18 a.m., Tuesday, August 21st, 5 lbs, 10 oz, 18 ½ inches long

 

They are perfect.  I’m now in my room with my babies and my family.  Jethro is sitting with both babies in his arms and Mom and Dad are standing on either side of him and Lydia is taking pictures.  I smile and just take it all in.  Both babies start crying at the same time and everybody looks at me.  I know what they want.  My breasts are leaking and need relief.  Jethro stands with the babies and asks Mom to close the curtains around us.  Jethro helps me get the babies propped up to my breasts so that they can nurse.  It takes some hits and misses but they finally both latch on and feed to their hearts content.  I can hear my family talking outside the curtains and assure them they everything is fine and that the little ones are simply having their meal.  Jethro walks out for a moment and then my Mom and Lydia come in.  They smile and pat me on my shoulders.

 

“Can you believe it?  I have babies! When we first made it to the room with the babies Jethro and I just sat and looked at them and looked at each other bewildered and so overjoyed.  We know that we have a lot of work ahead and a lot of sleepless nights but you know what we don’t care.  We have babies!”

 

“Margie I am so proud of you.  Look at you a mother of two. Two at the same time I might add.”

 

“Thanks Mom but I didn’t do it all by myself.  You can open the curtains now, they’re asleep and I’ve covered myself. Can you two put them in the in-room bassinettes?”

 

Everyone gathered around the babies and just looked at them. Jethro turned and looked at me and then came over and stood next to my bed.  He leaned and kiss my temple and whispered in my ear,

 

“You did good Alexis.  Thank you.”

 

I smiled and turned and looked at him.  He only calls me Alexis when he wants to make a point and this time the point is ‘everything turned out fine and you are magnificent’.

 

“You are welcome my love.  I think that I will try to nap while the little ones nap.  You and the family can stay you won’t disturb my sleep.  You know when I am in a safe place I can sleep through a train blast.”

 

“Yes you can. Close your eyes and get some rest.  You’ve worked hard today.  I love you Alexis Marjorie Gibbs.”

 

“And I love you Leroy Jethro Gibbs.”

 

With that Margie turned her head and was out like a light.  I don’t know how she does that but she can fall asleep in an instant.  I guess all of those years in the field one had to catch sleep when and where one could and she has made a science of it.  She can fall asleep for exact minutes or hours and wake up like she was in the middle of a conversation.  That’s my girl.

 

While Margie slept the family and I sat and talked about the things that we would do when Margie and the babies came home.  We planned it out in an effort to lessen the load that Margie would have to bear.  We know that we can’t nurse the babies but we can do the other things to help make it easier for Margie and the babies.  A tired, worn down Margie won’t help her or the babies. After we were all satisfied with our plans, Lydia and Margie’s parents left and I took the opportunity to get a little nap myself.  I fell asleep tired but glad that the babies are finally here and Margie is well.






Chapter End Notes:

The future looms ahead for Margie, Jethro and the twins.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.