Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

A storm brews for the couple. How will they weather it?




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


By the time that I arrived at home I had time to think about Jethro’s question of what did I see in him?  I also had time to think about what could have happened to make him doubt me and then I remembered the picture.  I had packed my condo before the wedding but I didn’t move all of my things into Jethro’s house until after the honeymoon.  It was only recently that I had time to finally sort through all of my boxes trying to decide what things I could throw away and which things I could keep. Included in the assortment of papers and pictures was a picture of Stefan and me.  Jethro saw the picture and asked me about it.  I told him then what I told him today.  At one time Stefan and I were closer but we both decided to remain just friends and co-workers.   We have worked many assignments together since then and have a good working relationship.  I know that I can depend on Stefan and he knows that he can depend on me. 

 

I stopped a moment in my reflection, took a deep breath and did what I always do whenever I need guidance and direction.  I prayed.   I repeated to myself one of my favorite scriptures, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”  With saying that I felt the peace that I needed and the understanding that I required to do what I needed to do to allay any fears/concerns/doubts that Jethro may have about my love for him.  I now understand why Jethro asked what he did: 

 

-Seeing the picture of Stefan and me

-Hearing that Stefan and I were once in a relationship

-Stefan assisting in my escape after Robert's attack

-My contacting Stefan today to ask him to assist Jethro on this recent case

 

Considering each of those points I can clearly understand how a usual self-assured man could have questions about his place in my life even though we are married.  I need to show Jethro just how important he is to me and apologize to him for doing anything to cause him to question his worth to me.  Now that my fieldwork has lessened I have not had much contact with Stefan so that should make things a little easier to distant myself.  It would be a good idea to suggest that Jethro contact Stefan directly for any additional information that he might need for any future cases. 

 

At that moment I had a great idea.  I would set up a conference call with my personal key contacts around the globe and introduce them to Jethro and Director Vance.  That way if NCIS needs help from those sources Jethro and Leon can contact them directly and I would have no involvement in it.  They do it to me all of the time asking me to help someone that they know with information.  Now it’s my turn to make a request.  I will make the offer to Jethro first and if he agrees then I will set up the call for next week so that everyone can put it on their calendar and I will make the call from my computer at home so that we don’t have to use NCIS equipment.  With that resolved I felt better and waited for my husband to come home.

 

I was in the kitchen when I heard Jethro drive up in the driveway.  I met him at the front door and hugged him and gave him a kiss trying to convey my apology.  He held me a moment and then looked at me.  He led me to the couch and we sat down to talk.  Before he could say anything I apologized to him for causing him any distress.  

 

“Jethro when you asked me earlier why I was with you it really caught me by surprise because I did not have any idea that you had any doubts about how much I love you.  But when I came home tonight I remembered some things that have happened since our marriage and things became a little clearer to me. Does your doubt about us have anything to do with my call to Stefan tonight?” I said looking directly at him so that he could see that he has my full attention.

 

“Yes.  He seems to be the one constant from your past. First he helped you escape from Robert’s attack, then I saw the picture and you told me that at one time you two had a relationship but now are just friends, and then tonight you call him to help me.  It’s just a lot to handle.  I believe you when you say that you are only friends with him but does he know that?”he asked with a bit of hesitation.

 

“Jethro you don’t have anything to worry about with Stefan.  Yes he knows that we are only friends.  We both agreed that we worked better as friends than in any sort of romantic entanglement.  Even when he married and had children we remained friends.  His wife asked him what you have asked me and we both assured her that we are only friends and co-workers.  The work that we do leaves us little time to make friends in the usual way so many times our contacts become our friends.  We rely on each other to survive.  I have saved his life on occasion and he recently saved mine. The picture that you saw of us was taken shortly after my team and I rescued him.  He had a copy and I had a copy to remind us each that we survived that ordeal,”I answered with assurance.

 

“Margie I’m glad that we have talked this out and I do feel better about things now.  Let me take a shower and we can go to bed. We both have to report to work early tomorrow,” he said while yawning.

 

“May I join you in the shower?” I asked as we walked up the stairs.

 

“Didn’t you already take a shower?” he asked as he grabbed my waist.

 

“You can never take too many showers,” I replied with a smirk.

 

 

The shower lasted a little longer than expected but we both left the bathroom clean and satisfied.






Chapter End Notes:

Communication remains the key to a good relationship.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.