Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

Don’t Take it for Granted

 

(We have not heard from Jethro and Margie in quite some time so sit back and relax with another story of my favorite couple. Now I have taken much poetic license in writing this story so don’t fuss too much if it doesn’t quite follow scientific observations.  Just enjoy the read.  Happy New Year 2019.  Thnx.)

 

 

Chapter 1

 

At this moment if you ask me why my last conversation with Jethro upsets me so much I can’t tell you but I do know that what I asked him to do wasn’t unreasonable but he refused nonetheless.  That irritates me because I don’t care to waste time being upset with him. We seldom disagree but it does happen on occasion.  We are both strong willed people so it is to be expected and we usually come to some type of compromise when we have differing opinions but today he would not change his mind and I would not change mine and we both left the house this morning agreeing to discuss this more this evening.  But right now it still bothers me and having to take this last minute tour of the new research facility of a contractor that has done much work with the agency over the years has not improved my mood.

 

Two of my colleagues and I walk through the facility guided by the head of the Research & Development department and his assistant.  We pass through a unit where they’re working on a new product that has unique properties that would prove useful during covert operations.  Not wanting to divulge too much in case our agency declines to purchase want they are offering they simply state that it will allow those who use it to escape without leaving any evidence behind.  One of my colleagues expressed interest in getting a close up view but the assistant warned that the product is still in the developmental stage and not ready for use.  As we move on to the next area the assistant and I are the last ones to exit the chamber when the tech in the sealed off area mistakenly opens the door to the vacuum room before the assistant and I can exit the viewing area.  The last thing that I remember is falling to the floor.

 

The next thing that I know I’m waking up in the emergency room in the hospital. Looking around me I see doctors, nurses, one of my colleagues, Craig Porter and my father.

 

“What happened to me?”  I ask everyone in the room.  I don’t care who answers I just want to know what happened.  I remember leaving the viewing room and then darkness.

 

The doctor answered, “Mrs. Gibbs you were exposed to some type of gas and we are running tests to try to eliminate the effects of the gas.  Your colleague and your father can explain more to you.  We ask that you simply rest until we conduct our tests.  As soon as we make any definitive determinations we will let you know.”

 

“Thank you doctor, but why did you call me Mrs. Gibbs?  My name is Alexis McGregor.  Dad what’s going on?”

 

I look at my father and he, the doctor and my colleague have frowns on their faces. 

 

“Alexis why do you say that your name is not Gibbs?”

 

“Dad I don’t know anyone by the name of Gibbs. Why do you ask?”

 

Just as my father starts to tell me something the doctor asks to speak with him and Craig privately in the corridor.  I do not like when people do that because they usually don’t want you to know what they are saying and if they are talking about me I want to know everything. After a few minutes they return to my room.  They each ask me several questions in an effort to test my memory, which evidently has been affected by the aerosol.  Craig and I have worked together for years so he asks job related questions, the doctor asked medical questions, and of course my father has known me all of my life so he asks about things that we have shared. The odd thing about all of their questions is that I know all of the answers about everything up until the last minute in the viewing room.  I work for the agency, my health is good but at the moment I have a headache which I don’t usually get, I am an only child and I have two children but I don’t remember by whom.  And if I am Mrs. Gibbs I just don’t remember Mr. Gibbs.  How can that be?  How can I remember the children and not remember the father.

 

“Mrs. Gibbs, the company informed us that the aerosol does cause memory loss but it usually only lasts no more than 72 hours. The odd thing in your case is that you only have selective memory loss.  The usual side effect is a loss of memory of the last 48 hours but you have memory of everything that has happened except your encounters with Mr. Gibbs.  We have concluded our tests and find you in great physical and mental health except for that one item.  There is no need to keep you in the hospital and you can return home.  Your father will escort you home and make the necessary explanations.  Do you have any questions?”

 

“So if I understand you correctly, my memory will return in 72 hours and I will not have any lingering effects from this aerosol?”

 

“That is correct.  You can carry on as usual.”

 

“Doctor I don’t know how “as usual’ I can carry on if I don’t know my husband and won’t know who he is for an entire 3 days. I know I would not like it if he forgot me.  How do I explain this to him and where is he anyway?  Why isn’t he here?”

 

“Mrs. Gibbs we did call your husband but he did not answer so we called your father who was listed as your second contact person.  If you don’t have any more questions I will bid you good day.”

 

“Thank you doctor and I do appreciate all that you and your staff have done for me.  I know that it has been a puzzling time for you also and you probably don’t get an amnesia case every day.”

 

“No not everyday Mrs. Gibbs but at least it will wear off in less than 72 hours.”

 

The doctor departs and Craig and my father look at me and both ask,

 

“You really don’t remember Jethro?”

 

“You guys, if Jethro is Gibbs then no I don’t remember him.  Do you think that I would kid about something like that?  How am I to act around my children Richard and Nicole when their father is around us?  How am I to act around him?  I must love him if I married him so how do I forget that?  Did he do something to lose my love?  I don’t think so because I couldn’t be with someone who could do something to make me not love them?  Did I do something?  These next 72 hours will be very hard.”

 

“Marjorie, I called the office when you were in the ambulance and your supervisor, Mr. Crawford, said for you to take off whatever time you need.  I called him back a few minutes ago and he told me to tell you that you are on workers compensation until the doctor clears you to return to work.  He knows about the 72-hour window and expects everything to work out fine.  He spoke with the president of the company and gave him an earful about the accident.  Needless to say the R&D head and his assistant were quite apologetic but the damage had already been done.  You get better and I will call you in a few days.  Look forward to having you back at the office.  Take care.”

 

“Thanks Craig for coming with me and helping my father.  See you back at the office once I recover.”

 

Craig leaves and my father and I sit and look at each other both of us trying to figure how to handle Mr. Gibbs.






Chapter End Notes:

How will Thomas and Margie handle one Leroy Jethro Gibbs with this news?  Stay tuned.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.