Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Beta writer: Jsilver2000    




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

Fun with the Klingons, Part 2

Enterprise had been alone for almost a year; Kirk was still mourning Keeler. He had avoided getting involved with women since the incident. So Prise gave her attention to Spock and Scott; they attended to all her needs and were getting the glory. It was when Prise lost her sister Constellation to the planet killer that Kirk came back to his senses.* But it came with a price; Stella was gone. Prise watched her dear sister die and it hurt a lot, but Kirk had returned to himself. She and Cygnet program recorded his triumphant return from Stella:

Decker: "You are speaking to a senior officer, Kirk."

Kirk: "Give me Spock"

Decker: "I told you I am in command here, according to every rule in the book, Captain. Anything you have to say, you will say to me!"

Kirk: "There's only one thing I want to say to you, Commodore. Get my ship out of there!"

Prise and Cygnet rejoiced that he had come back to his rightful place on the ship. She had fought for them and almost died in the hands of the madman who had risked Stella's life and was willing to take hers too. Kirk had saved her, but he couldn't save Stella, and Stella's loss had saved her. It was a great loss to Prise.

Prise lay on her chaise, mourning her sister.

Kirk approached: "I'm sorry about Constellation."

Enterprise stared out into space; she had no words. She lay still on her chaise, feeling heavy with grief.

"I've missed you," Kirk said. "I'm recovered now."

Kirk approached closer; he had truly missed her.

"You left me alone, Kirk. I lost my sister; what is there to say? Now, we both mourn."

"We can mourn together."

Prise turned to Kirk and looked at him sternly: "Kirk, go back to your throne and sit on it and look proud. But leave me be; I want to be alone. GO NOW!" Prise turned her head and looked out into space again.

"I can't go without you. I want to stay. I want us to try again."

"Leave; give me time, Kirk."

Kirk turned and headed toward the door, leaving Prise to her mourning. He was halfway to the door when he turned around and retraced his steps. He sat quietly on the edge of her chaise and didn't speak.

They sat for some time in silence.

Then she sat up and looked at Kirk. She was glad he had stayed. But their relationship was difficult to keep going. Prise was aware there would be more women. Kirk can't help himself. He is a human male; it's their nature to change their minds.

"Kirk, I want to make it clear: I will do my best to fight for you, but you must stand with me. I can't do this alone."

Kirk stood up and looked at Prise. She looked weary from the ordeal of losing her sister. He understood this. We have to be on the same page to survive in space.

"I understand you, and we will stand together! I promise."

"That is good to hear, Kirk." Prise sighed deeply. "I can't stand the Klingons; they are stupid, clumsy folks. I know we have not seen the last of them. They are like-like barnacles on my stern!"

A big smile formed on Kirk's face and he began to laugh uncontrollably. Seeing his jovial response, Enterprise laughed too.

"Yes, they can be a pain; I get that. Thanks, Enterprise, for another chance."

Enterprise and Kirk had come to terms with their relationship and would work together.


The next time Enterprise ran into a Klingon sister, it was Khlass, during the events leading to the peace agreement with the Capellans.** Just like before, she talked too much and tried to hide from Prise like a rat in the dark. Kirk was aware of Prise's opinion of the Klingons; it was nothing new. At this point, the two were really working together like a team, which made Prise feel good. For the honor of her fallen sister, she would fight.

What Prise didn't know was that the Klingons had made strange bedfellows; they had aligned with enemies to sabotage the peace, including a plan to draw Prise away from the planet. They sent Prise on a wild goose chase across the galaxy. That was their first mistake; Starfleet ships were required to assist any vessel in distress, but Scotty was a by-the-book man. The crew quickly realized that it was a ruse, but Prise was almost too late getting back to Capella IV. Prise noted that this was the second time a Klingon bird had tricked her, and she vowed that it would be the last. Prise entered the system battle-ready and with her shield and staff aimed. She was already angry at herself for her failure to recognize another trick by the Klingons. But the knowledge that she was on her own, with no sister ships to back her up, tempered her approach. Then Khlass positioned herself in front of Prise, blocking her path to Kirk.

"Are you serious? You have delayed me too long, Khlass; get out of my way!"

"I dare you to fight me, Enterprise! I've been waiting for you." Khlass pulled out a pair of long swords and tried to intimidate Prise.

Owing to Khlass's provocation, Prise's foul mood overcame her caution the fact she was persuaded from her position from Capella. She took a deep breath and screamed her battle cry.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

Enterprise charged with no pity, but when she was just meters from the Klingon ship, Khlass withdrew her swords and warped out of the system. But Enterprise continued at high speed; she was needed at the planet. By the time it was all over, without a shot fired, Enterprise had learned another lesson about the Klingons: They were all posturing and bluster. Khlass didn't really want to engage her in a fight. Too bad, Prise wondered what the outcome could be.

"I can't stand them-just can't stand them! Barnacles would be better and more tolerable!" she snarled at Kirk. Kirk chuckled at her reaction.

"You should've been on the planet; the Klingon spy was worse. He couldn't hold water; he dropped like a rock. And you're right; they are all talk and they have a vendetta against us."

Kirk smiled and folded his arms across his chest: "I can't promise you that this is the last we'll see of our friends the Klingons. I have a feeling we will encounter more of them."

Enterprise took a deep breath and gave Kirk a look of disappointment and concern.


The Organian Peace Treaty was still in effect, and the relationship between Starfleet Command and the Klingon Empire was still frosty.

So when they received a distress call from Deep Space Station K-7***, Enterprise was ready for battle. Her staff was charged, her helmet was firmly on her head, and her shield glistened. When Prise came upon the station, she didn't see anything amiss, but she remembered how Klingons liked to launch sneak attacks. Prise stayed alert. She scoured the nearest planetoids and asteroids, thinking the Klingons could be hiding behind them. But the coast was clear. Prise started to relax, but she never trusted the Klingons. She remembered how Khlass had tricked her and then fled without putting up a fight during their encounter at Cappella IV.

Prise stood guard at the station, still expecting something to jump out at any moment. Then she saw something in the distance; it came closer, and wouldn't you know it, it was a Klingon battle cruiser. Kaymer came into view, slowly strolling up to the station with her weapons powered down. Prise took note of that, wondering if it was another trap. She quickly scanned her surroundings, looking for Kaymer's sister ship. Kaymer had a sinister smile on her face when she spoke: "Well, well-ready to shoot me on sight, Enterprise?"

"I was hoping for that."

The station extended a long, flat section that served as a rest area for the ships, and each of the two ships settled into a berth.

"This station is neutral territory, and I would like to rest after working so hard," Kaymer said, sitting in a chair and propping her feet on another chair. She placed her hands behind her head.

"I know, it must be hard running from battles all the time; it can make you weary," Prise said sarcastically.

"Back off b!tch! I can stay as long as I want," Kaymer hissed, clearly upset by that accusation.

"Your words do not affect me. I'm a battle cruiser when I want to be and the best in the fleet! The last time I saw your sister Khlass, she challenged me until I called her bluff, and then she ran like child screaming for her mother's tit."

Kaymer stood up and snarled at Prise: "You lie, Terran!

"What? She told you a different story-like she beat me up or something? Klingons tell great stories, but the actual events are always quite different." Prise chuckled, and smiling that infuriating Kaymer.

"One day, Enterprise, when we do meet in battle, it will be the end of you!"

"Kaymer, such hostility! And I thought you were going to be nice to me today." Prise shaking head and tisking her, then sat down and started to relax, but her attention never left Kaymer.

Prise wondered what was going on the space station, it was quiet, which is unusual when you encounter the Klingons. Prise noticed some fluffy little things sitting around her feet. Some began crawling up her chair, and then more came, resting on her armor and her lap. She didn't know what to think of them; they purred, and their sound and touch were calming. 'What are they?" Prise asked. When she looks at Kaymer, the Klingon began laughing at her.

"Earthlings and their pets are so comical. They suit you, Enterprise."

Prise wasn't laughing. They were cute, but it was annoying that they were all around her. She could barely move because she might step on one. Prise took a deep breath and huffed.

"I hear that we now own Sherman's Planet because of your little friends, Enterprise," Kaymer said, chuckling. "It is good to see you so helpless. I will remember this moment; I can hardly wait to tell my sisters of your new fuzzy friends."

"Whatever, Kaymer. Just remember this proverb: "He or she who laughs first, will look stupid in the end." Prise was smiling; she had just made it up.

"That has no meaning, and it applies to you!" Kaymer retorted with Klingon logic.

There was nothing Prise could do; Kaymer kept laughing as the tribbles continued to accumulate around her. Cuddly creatures were not Prise's realm. Fierce creatures like lions, tigers, eagles, and bears were her idea of animals to have around. After a couple of hours they all started to disappear. Prise didn't know where, but she was relieved because they had been becoming annoying.

"Well, Earthling, it is time for me to go. It's a shame we couldn't do battle today. I could take your life without thinking."

"Your sweet talk leads to nowhere, Kaymer. If anything happens, you run like a dog with its tail between its legs."

Kaymer looked infuriated at the comment: You Enterprise are soft like a Regulan blood warm, soft and cuddly like those things that were at your feet." She gave Prise a glaring look.

Prise saw something at Kaymer's feet and a deep grin formed on her face. It was 1 tribble, then 10, 30-they appeared so quickly, Kaymer didn't notice until-

"Maw' tok!"

The tribbles all started shrieking loudly and hissing all around Kaymer. Her eyes widened in disbelief. Prise swore Kaymer started sweating and hissing at the creatures. Kaymer grabbed her weapons and left the station with the tribbles following behind; as she was leaving, more tribbles materialized out of nowhere, accumulating on her weapons, shield, and body. For the first time in as long as she could remember, Prise sat down and had a good belly laugh. She didn't know what Kirk had done, but it was worth it. It felt good getting the upper hand with the Klingons.

Note to self:Keep a batch of tribbles on hand when dealing with Klingons. Prise continued to laugh about the outcome knowing that Spock, Scott and the crew were all involved in the tribbles joke.

 






Chapter End Notes:

A/N: Star Trek TOS:

*The Doomsday Machine

**Friday's Child

***The Trouble with Tribbles

Three of my favorite episodes.

 







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.